Nobody use Peltiers Anymore?

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Did water cooling kill the peltier option? Anyone marry a peltier and a water cooler? The extreme cooling area seems pretty dead.

yeah they just aren't able to keep up with modern cpus. maybe some low wattage chips could be cooled with tec but certainly not anything more than a quad.

Edit corrected are to aren't oops

Last edited:
Last "good" idea I saw for peltiers was a setup used to help cool the water cooler water to below ambient.

But even that in kinda a waste unless you have "free" electricity as Peltiers are very inneficient.

Did water cooling kill the peltier option? Anyone marry a peltier and a water cooler? The extreme cooling area seems pretty dead.

No watercooling didn't. But IMHO, Sandybridge did.

Every since LGA1155, the chips go nosebleed high on water...and anything further is just penis measuring. And even water is really overkill except for multi-block loops, the CPUs just don't get that hot on their own.

I used to have an inefficient Peltier cooler, about 20 years ago ...

I think it is still in a box somewhere.

Chillers were dope back in the day, but the extra performance to be had these days is minimal and not needed as CPU/GPUs are so much more powerful. I still do wonder about them, it's just potting/condensation and dissipating extra heat sounds like a lot of extra work now that my leisure computer time is much less than it was 10+ years ago

I'll post a 'pseudo-extreme' water cooling chiller setup I made in a bit, you'll all laugh at its effectiveness and simplicity!

Did not know what you guys were even talking about until I looked it up. Looks really interesting, it is too bad these haven't been revived for modern consumers.

Part of me wonders if the inherent inefficiency is due to the cheap manufacturing or simply a physical limitation of the circuit.

One of the biggest issues is condensation from the cold side; a far larger danger than leaking AiOs. I remember one enabling my Celeron 300A to finally get stable at 504MHz rather than the next step down 464MHz. Good times but I think we'd see more action in reverse phase coolers before peltiers.

Did not know what you guys were even talking about until I looked it up. Looks really interesting, it is too bad these haven't been revived for modern consumers.

Not much of a need for it, and high power requirements (along with requiring custom mounts) pretty much killed them off.

Part of me wonders if the inherent inefficiency is due to the cheap manufacturing or simply a physical limitation of the circuit.

From wikipedia, it appears to be mostly a material limitation.

Another drawback as I remember it (if i remember correctly) was that Peltiers were phase-change cooling and required a substantial warm-up or activation time even from the PC's that I remember that included in 2008. It was somewhere around 30 seconds for the temperature to drop to the specifications.

Peltiers are definitely not phase-change. Nearly all forms of sub-ambient cooling (besides dropping in liquid nitrogen or helium) require some sort of cooldown period to reach equilibrium temperatures.

actually i am curious if there is anywhere to get a decent number of these cheap. like 30 or so.

Another major concern with using TECs was that in the event of peltier failure, the peltier became a ceramic insulator sitting between the CPU and the waterblock, effectively blocking any residual heat transfer from the processor. If the pump fails in your watercooling loop, the processor will not immediately overheat since the mass of the waterblock and water in the tubing will continue to absorb the heat for some time, whereas the dead peltier will act as an insulator and cause the processor to rapidly overheat.

Condensation is also an issue, which most people don't want to deal with in a everyday system. LN2 goes colder for your meaningless contests, so that leaves peltiers stuck in between where no many people are interested in going. Also they gobble power.

Back