Noise coming from PC

asmielia

Limp Gawd
Hi, I've kept my PC pretty quiet, even though I have a lot of components and a lot of fans, they're all pretty silent.

I just bought an 8800GT, and playing games with it, I noticed it was a little loud. So yesterday, I replaced the stock cooler with the cooler from my 7900gt. A passive Cooler Master Accelero S1. I then strapped a 120mm fan on top of it. I fired up some games, and got lower temperatures, but that noise is still there.

I've attempted to stop every single fan in the system while I'm playing Crysis, one at a time, and the noise persists. If it's not a fan, what else has moving parts that could cause noise under load? Hard drives? That doesn't really make sense.

Could it be the PSU, video card? I really don't know. Anyone have any ideas?

Noise is a rather general term. What does this noise you here sound like. Is it a clicking noise? A buzzing sound? PSU fan noise?

As crash said, we cant help unless you tell us what the noise is like.
Its also up to you to determine where the noise is coming from as we dont have ESP.

I am wondering myself whether or not the noise is coming from your vc or your psu, what psu are you using?

It sounds a lot like a fan, a buzzing sound that ramps up till it hits full load. As soon as I exit the game, it goes back to normal. It's a constant noise though, doesn't fluctuate or click. It's not a fan though, cause I've stopped every single one in the system, including the PSU fans, and it's still there.

With everything running, it's tough for me to tell where it's coming from. If I had to guess, I would say it's coming from the PSU. It's not super loud or annoying really, I'm just wondering what's causing it.

The PSU is an OCZ Powerstream 520W, which should be more than enough for what I'm running. The indicator lights on the back are all green. I've had the PSU for about 2 1/2 years.

Thanks for your help

...If it's not a fan, what else has moving parts that could cause noise under load? Hard drives? That doesn't really make sense...
Umm. It makes sense to me. Actually my harddrives are the loudest thing in my PC. Why don't you run a virus scan, along with some other application, and then compare that noise to the one you hear. That way we would know how your noise does, or doesn't, sound like.

It sounds a lot like a fan, a buzzing sound that ramps up till it hits full load. As soon as I exit the game, it goes back to normal. It's a constant noise though, doesn't fluctuate or click. It's not a fan though, cause I've stopped every single one in the system, including the PSU fans, and it's still there.

With everything running, it's tough for me to tell where it's coming from. If I had to guess, I would say it's coming from the PSU. It's not super loud or annoying really, I'm just wondering what's causing it.

The PSU is an OCZ Powerstream 520W, which should be more than enough for what I'm running. The indicator lights on the back are all green. I've had the PSU for about 2 1/2 years.

Thanks for your help

Sounds like the video card,so the 8800GT squeals like all the others, there are tons of threads on Nvidia vid cards that squeal and in most cases to get rid of the squealing require a new good quality PSU.

Umm. It makes sense to me. Actually my harddrives are the loudest thing in my PC. Why don't you run a virus scan, along with some other application, and then compare that noise to the one you hear. That way we would know how your noise does, or doesn't, sound like.

I'll do more tests tonight, but I don't think it's coming from my hard drives. Plus why would they get louder under load? I got the noise running ATI tool this morning. Which pushes the GPU almost exclusively. It's also the only thing that's changed in my system.

Run the game with the same settings on your 8800GT and 7900GT and see if it only appears with the 8800GT. If so, you'll probably want to RMA or use headphones.

Back