NVIDIA Roadmap Outline for 1H08

Well, I've been busy a bit, and today I've read through some news at Fudzilla, and boy do they have lots of stuff about cards incoming..

Since it's all in like dozen of 3-sentence articles, I've compiled it in a more easier way to read (links to original articles are there as well). So those interested pls go to THIS LINK. I'd post it here, but I think it would be a bit too long :/

They've got few articles on 9600GT/8800GS and so far it just confirms what we thought already :rolleyes:

Any new information?

I'm planing to build a new computer with a 8800 GTX (330EUR/USD) because:
- It can display almost every game (except Colin McDirt and Crysis) in 1920x1200
- It became cheap
- It can be overclocked good
- If the 9800 GTX refresh is a G92 it won't be much faster (5%?) but will cost more
- The nextgen (GT200, R700) seems to be months away

Any new information?

I'm planing to build a new computer with a 8800 GTX (330EUR/USD) because:
- It can display almost every game (except Colin McDirt and Crysis) in 1920x1200
- It became cheap
- It can be overclocked good
- If the 9800 GTX refresh is a G92 it won't be much faster (5%?) but will cost more
- The nextgen (GT200, R700) seems to be months away

I would think the 9800GTX will be same % faster than the 8800GTX as the 8800GTS512 vs 8800GTS640, not sure how much that is ??

I would wait for the 9800GTX if you can, main reason it is environmentally sound, meaning takes less power to run, and is cooler, for that alone it is worth even if it is the same exact speed as current GTX. But also should be hair faster than a 8800Ultra, which if true will run anything today 1920x1200rez 4xAA/16xAF except Crysissy, but that game blows and even a GeForce 15,000Ultra won't run that game smooth = bad code.

So are we pretty sure there's going to be a G92 GTX?

Yes, Kyle posted a blurb about it earlier this month, showing a Feb/March release, but don't get your panties in a bunch over it, just a cooler running, better memory version of the current 8800GTX, it will be like the the new 8800GTS-512 is compared to the older model, I would be shocked if it was 25% faster than the 2006 8800GTX.

But now nVidia has me even more confused with their naming scheme :rolleyes: Why are they willing to rename this new GTX the 9800GTX, but the new GTS still gets the 8800 name ?? I thought the newer GT + GTS should also had the 9800GT + 9800GTS names too.

So what will the true next generation fastest single VideoCard from them be named this Summer ?? 9900Ultra, or 10,800GTX :D

Yes, Kyle posted a blurb about it earlier this month, showing a Feb/March release, but don't get your panties in a bunch over it, just a cooler running, better memory version of the current 8800GTX, it will be like the the new 8800GTS-512 is compared to the older model, I would be shocked if it was 25% faster than the 2006 8800GTX.

Well with all the GTX' memory bandwidth, and considering that the G92 GTS cards are hitting 800 MHz, a G92 GTX sounds like a pretty bitchin card to me.

I don't see any reason why the 9800 GTX (if it actually comes) should be something cool. It (probably) will be G92 based, maybe with some higher clocks, but thats it.

I expect it just to replace the old 8800 GTX series with a Die-Shrink (65nm) and a small, very small, performance increase. At higher resolutions (1920, 4xAA) the old GTX should still be better due to the higher memory interface.

But now nVidia has me even more confused with their naming scheme :rolleyes: Why are they willing to rename this new GTX the 9800GTX, but the new GTS still gets the 8800 name ?? I thought the newer GT + GTS should also had the 9800GT + 9800GTS names too.

So what will the true next generation fastest single VideoCard from them be named this Summer ?? 9900Ultra, or 10,800GTX :D

It will be named 5900FXXXXX x4

G92 is not a new chip, its just a refined G80 chip nothing else.
Thats why i probably skip the whole 9800 crap if its all tru that 9800 is just a highbinned G92 corecard. i Want the G100 or whatever the real deal is based on.
Really hope this will be the end of G92 crap and in mid 2008 put the real deal out.
I blame ATI fot this, they are the reson the good stuff is not out yet.

You and the other naive nv fan boys are just assuming nvidia has got something much better, but there is no proof for that beside some wet dreams from you boys.

Just be realistic, nvidia is not hiding its super mega killer cards --- it has nothing now.
And the only reason nvidia took the lead for so long is because ATI was busy with its merging.

You and the other naive nv fan boys are just assuming nvidia has got something much better, but there is no proof for that beside some wet dreams from you boys.

Just be realistic, nvidia is not hiding its super mega killer cards --- it has nothing now.
And the only reason nvidia took the lead for so long is because ATI was busy with its merging.

they have already taped out the real 9800gtx the 55nm 1gig beast and are working on drivers. it has been ready for a long time. its just ati has no competition they waiting for r700.

they have already taped out the real 9800gtx the 55nm 1gig beast and are working on drivers. it has been ready for a long time. its just ati has no competition they waiting for r700.

SO what are you talking about the 9800GTX coming out in less than 6 weeks that Kyle mentioned which is just the revised 8800GTX with new memory, and lower process, or are you saying the REAL 9800GTX which will now be named something different the one not coming until the 4870XT hits the market in June/July ??

For some reason I just don't believe this. What are your sources? By releasing the nextgen card early they could have crushed ATI like Intel did with the C2D.

For some reason I just don't believe this. What are your sources? By releasing the nextgen card early they could have crushed ATI like Intel did with the C2D.

I agree, so lets say the R700 is another dud (which by the way I know lots of news I can't repeat the R700 will be another 9700Pro for ATI), will nVidia wait until 2009 and the 5870XT release and then bring out the 9800GTX to compete with the R800 :rolleyes:

Thats silly, if ya have it you release it, not wait for the competition to come out with something faster

Talk about being a hypocrite.. you accuse someone of being a fanboy, while you make excuses for ATI's shortcomings... GG.

If they going to put out a nvidia 9800GTX I will get one. if they can do better that came out with 512bit 1GB of memory with 512 stream processing power I'M down hehe. i pay any price for something like that kinda power we need to leap into the 512bit we are still in the 256bit gameiing world.but most of all they need tofix there drivers though if they want DX10 to be around.

Here comes the true ATI fanboy.
The wet dreams is all yours that blames merger to the left and right and a whole bunch of other crap and lies instead of facing the facts on how bad the conditon is for DAAMIT and this might be the last chance before something drastic has to be made to save at least one part of the red corner company from going under and NV just respin a old core for 5 yeras or more just to suck the most out of it,
NV is noting like DAAMIT that leaks like a 10" firehose and produce marketinglies about "monstercard" like R600/2900XT that only produce heat and draw power like nothing else in contempary time that is just a midsegmentcard.
Not even HD3870 change the leaderboard so you can lie just as mutch as you want but face the fact ATI is in deep and serious trouble.

NV can hold secrets if they want to, in this case not to hurt G92 sales and fool the first suckers to get a 8900Gx2(aka 9800Gx2) before the G100 core comes out.
The ony thing you can blame NV for is the namescheme that fools at least someone that
G92 based 9800GTX will be the card that G100 gonna be and 8900Gx2 aka 9800Gx2 is more powerfull than 9800GTX G100 just bacause of name when G92 is just 8900-series card.
I am in no hurry of getting a old G92-card when we know what is around the coner, no need for "fanboy" to see that.
Trust em, we will se a new true highend Green card in the driver as soon as they are ready, that is a nice feature that you can hack the driver for info on upcoming card before they is avalible.

If they going to put out a nvidia 9800GTX I will get one. if they can do better that came out with 512bit 1GB of memory with 512 stream processing power I'M down hehe. i pay any price for something like that kinda power we need to leap into the 512bit we are still in the 256bit gameiing world.but most of all they need tofix there drivers though if they want DX10 to be around.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is a 9800GTX coming in Feb/March, and we be lucky if it is 10-20% faster than the current 8800GTX, most likely just a hair faster than 8800Ultra. All the new 9800GTX is just a revised chip, runs cooler, and better memory, and maybe a tad faster but nothing worth upgrading to at all if ya have a GTX already.

I think this is very sad, but all rumors floating around point that what I said above is true, the new GTX, should really just be called 8900GTX or not even, more like 8850GTX.

I just don't understand now into the second year of the 8800GTX already and nVidia still can't come up with a super faster better VideoCard ?? The 8800 series is from 2006, it is now 2008, where is the 1 Teraflop card that is faster than 2-8800GTX's ?? who cares if ATI has nothing faster, I want a 9800GTX that kills anything

Personally I'm not too fascinated about these Geforce 9800 cards because they all use D8P-chips and all have that 256-bit bus. There is also the fact that 9800 GX2 will be only 30-50% better than 8800 ultra..so there is not much room for 9800 GTX to out manouver 8800 GTX. Not to mention that there will be also 9800 GT and GTS cards. Don't think that they'll be much better than their predecessors.

I have not seen anything that said 50% for the GX2, I've only seen 30% faster than an Ultra. Ultra's are what at max 10% higher then a GTX soooo

30fps x 10% = 33fps x 50% 16.5, new fps 49.5fps max Sorry doesn't cut it... the GTX has to be a 60fps in crysis monster or more for people to jump!

I'll happily jump at a 50% increase so don't presume or pretend that you speak for everyone.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is a 9800GTX coming in Feb/March, and we be lucky if it is 10-20% faster than the current 8800GTX, most likely just a hair faster than 8800Ultra. All the new 9800GTX is just a revised chip, runs cooler, and better memory, and maybe a tad faster but nothing worth upgrading to at all if ya have a GTX already.

I think this is very sad, but all rumors floating around point that what I said above is true, the new GTX, should really just be called 8900GTX or not even, more like 8850GTX.

I just don't understand now into the second year of the 8800GTX already and nVidia still can't come up with a super faster better VideoCard ?? The 8800 series is from 2006, it is now 2008, where is the 1 Teraflop card that is faster than 2-8800GTX's ?? who cares if ATI has nothing faster, I want a 9800GTX that kills anything
Well G80 was very expensive to develope. I mean they started to work towards that chip at Geforce FX-times and they put Huge amount of dollars to that project. Now they are cashing with G80-architecture and made G92 chip which is cheaper to make --> more money to Nvidia's pockets.

So far this strategy have worked..and should continue to work at least until R700 & RV770 arrives (R700 is perhaps dual RV770). Rumours say that RV770 would be 50% faster than RV670. They are supposed to be launched Q3 this year.. Wonder what is status of Nvidia's next gen chips..there haven't been any other word than Fuad-rumour.

These nextgen chips will be based on last gens architecture, but they would be major revisions.

wel i don't get why not make a newer chip like G98 chip i mean come on never know the GX2 is the last line of the G92 chipset

Around 2 weeks left on my 8800GT 512 stepup... if the 9800GTX isn't out by then (and not a huge price jump from what I paid for my KO eVGA) I'll be sticking with my current one for quite awhile. Nothing but Crysis really demands much more than the card I've got now, regardless at my 1680x1050 resolution.

If you guys think developing GPUs is so easy, and nVidia doesnt know what they are doing, then develope a new uber-awesome Crysis killing GPU. I'll even be the first to buy one!

Seriously...why the hell would nVidia release a new killer card when they can milk the current king for all its worth? G92 could have been the new performance king...but they limit it with a 256 bit bus, cutting cost to them quite a bit, and ultimately to us, and since most people wont see a difference between the two (not many people game higher than 1600x1200) why would they do it?

They most likely are with-holding their next gen monster, or they are at least very close to completing it, but we wont see it until ATI can cook something better than an Ultra up. One thing that makes me thing otherwise though, is if they are so far ahead, that they dont put more effort into SLI drivers...but again...could be that not many people use SLI.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

We can all blame this man for the current state of malaise in our beloved video performance sector.

hector-fx.jpg

Please...please...line up in single file ...baseball bats up near the front, shotguns in the rear.

God I hate that man.

I have a pitchfork and a torch, which part of the line do I get in? :D

NVidia won't release anything that requires much of a risk or an investment without competition. We'll be sitting around waiting for them to dribble out G92 chips like they are made of diamonds and gold until ATI has a serious chance to deliver a winner. We never would have seen the 8800GT had it not been for the 3XXX series, and even now those are in short supply (which conveniently for NVidia prevents market saturation and price drops - likely not a coincidence, either).

I welcome Intels entry into video cards if they can get a serious product out of the door.

I have a pitchfork and a torch, which part of the line do I get in? :D

NVidia won't release anything that requires much of a risk or an investment without competition. We'll be sitting around waiting for them to dribble out G92 chips like they are made of diamonds and gold until ATI has a serious chance to deliver a winner. We never would have seen the 8800GT had it not been for the 3XXX series, and even now those are in short supply (which conveniently for NVidia prevents market saturation and price drops - likely not a coincidence, either).

I welcome Intels entry into video cards if they can get a serious product out of the door.

If you think NVIDIA does not have something ready to counter a possible ATI comeback, you are mistaken.
I point you to the 9800 GTX, which some are assuming will not be faster than the 9800 GX2, but I think otherwise.

The 9800 GTX may not give us exactly twice the performance of the 8800 GTX, but it will be close. I'm guessing it will be the same as the 6800 Ultra -> 7800 GTX era, where the 7800 GTX was not quite as fast as two 6800 Ultras, but it was close (70-80% faster in most cases)
I don't believe the rumor of a 384 Stream Processor beast, but the 192/256 SP one seems reasonable to me and if NVIDIA uses 55 nm on this chip, coupled with the old 384 bit memory interface or maybe, a new 512 bit one, we'll see some awesome performance out of the 9800 GTX.

If you think NVIDIA does not have something ready to counter a possible ATI comeback, you are mistaken.
I point you to the 9800 GTX, which some are assuming will not be faster than the 9800 GX2, but I think otherwise.

The 9800 GTX may not give us exactly twice the performance of the 8800 GTX, but it will be close. I'm guessing it will be the same as the 6800 Ultra -> 7800 GTX era, where the 7800 GTX was not quite as fast as two 6800 Ultras, but it was close (70-80% faster in most cases)
I don't believe the rumor of a 384 Stream Processor beast, but the 192/256 SP one seems reasonable to me and if NVIDIA uses 55 nm on this chip, coupled with the old 384 bit memory interface or maybe, a new 512 bit one, we'll see some awesome performance out of the 9800 GTX.

That makes sense to me. I just don't see why nVidia would release a VideoCard named 9800GTX but have it ONLY be a reworked 8800GTX with just new process and better memory that will make it 10-20% faster at best than the current GTX, that does not even make any sense to name it a 9800GTX then, should be called the 8900GTX instead if that is the case.

I would think if there truly is a "9800GTX" name releases by March it will have to be a good amount faster than the current GTX, but then where does the GX2 new card fall into all of this, a slower or faster card than this new "9800GTX" ?? Why release a GX2 that is top dog in Feb, but then one month later a newer even topper dog the 9800GTX comes out right after ??

That makes sense to me. I just don't see why nVidia would release a VideoCard named 9800GTX but have it ONLY be a reworked 8800GTX with just new process and better memory that will make it 10-20% faster at best than the current GTX, that does not even make any sense to name it a 9800GTX then, should be called the 8900GTX instead if that is the case.

I would think if there truly is a "9800GTX" name releases by March it will have to be a good amount faster than the current GTX, but then where does the GX2 new card fall into all of this, a slower or faster card than this new "9800GTX" ?? Why release a GX2 that is top dog in Feb, but then one month later a newer even topper dog the 9800GTX comes out right after ??

There's a very simple answer to that. First, NVIDIA is trying to spoil every AMD launch in the GPU arena. A GX2 based on 8800 GTs will most likely beat the AMD's X2. Second, Quad-SLI. They need a new card, to keep touting this technology, which they had with the 7950 GX2, but didn't really caught the eye of many people. This card, in SLI (Quad-SLI) and if driver support is better than it was with the 7950 GX2, will be faster than a single 9800 GTX and will appeal to many enthusiasts, as was the intent with the original GX2.
An important point is also price. According to rumors, the suggested price of the GX2 is $449. This is no doubt, much less than what the new 9800 GTX will cost. The new 9800 GTX will not cost less than what the 8800 GTX did, at launch ($650), especially if R700 does as well as R600.
So a single GX2 will be cheaper than single 9800 GTX, but that's expected, since I believe the 9800 GTX will be faster than the GX2.
Obviously this is my own speculation, but this seems to be what NVIDIA is preparing for us.

I wish we could see what the sales breakdown for each GPU Line is.. Wonder how many nVidia Sales are 8800GTX's vs all of their other products..

There's a very simple answer to that. First, NVIDIA is trying to spoil every AMD launch in the GPU arena. A GX2 based on 8800 GTs will most likely beat the AMD's X2. Second, Quad-SLI. They need a new card, to keep touting this technology, which they had with the 7950 GX2, but didn't really caught the eye of many people. This card, in SLI (Quad-SLI) and if driver support is better than it was with the 7950 GX2, will be faster than a single 9800 GTX and will appeal to many enthusiasts, as was the intent with the original GX2.
An important point is also price. According to rumors, the suggested price of the GX2 is $449. This is no doubt, much less than what the new 9800 GTX will cost. The new 9800 GTX will not cost less than what the 8800 GTX did, at launch ($650), especially if R700 does as well as R600.
So a single GX2 will be cheaper than single 9800 GTX, but that's expected, since I believe the 9800 GTX will be faster than the GX2.
Obviously this is my own speculation, but this seems to be what NVIDIA is preparing for us.

You made no sence whatsoever in above post. I've bolded a few lines..
Ok, so first you say GX2 will be faster, than you say it will be cheaper than GTX, and that GTX will end up faster. No sence..

Also, rumored price of GX2 is actualy around huge 700$, it is going to replace Ultra, and this means that it's faster and more expensive than GTX which will replace old GTX.

Only thing that is weird in this setup (Ultra->GX2; GTX->GTX) is naming, because it sucks to be called 9xxx anything. Any of the cards. But I'll again point you to 9600 card, which is slower than 8800GT, and at the same it's same architecture as 8800GT.

So what MAKES sence, is that nVidia will "correct" their naming MESS that they've made with G92 cards, in a way that
a) you get new low end card based on G92 called 9600
b) 8800GT gets pushed to 9800GT 'cos it's faster than 9600
c) 8800GTS gets tweaked and pushed to 9800GTX
d) you get 9800GX2 which is 2x8800GTS actually

And in Q3 like many sites are confirming, you'll get G200 (old G100) which will be fantasy "9800GTX" you (and some others) are describing, but it won't be called 9800GTX (except if nVidia flops to old messy tricks like 8800GTS "old"->8800GTS "new").

EDIT: Oh, forgot, and if you're words get to be true, and GX2 will be 449$, GTX cheaper, and faster, and at the same time like 60-70% faster than current GTX/Ultra like you all hope, than we'll see people buying a) 9800GTX for gaming b) 9600&lower for home/media/office and nothing else :p I'll be glad to buy 1.7x8800GTX for like 400$ anytime :p

As for post from Zorachus:
I belive this answers first part of your post, and partly second one too.. I'll just emphasize this part
Why release a GX2 that is top dog in Feb, but then one month later a newer even topper dog the 9800GTX comes out right after ??
It will not happen, it will instead release GX2 and GTX in around same time, GTX will be bit slower, GX2 will be bit faster (where SLI drivers work well enough maybe a bit more faster), and fabled "top dog" will have to wait for "back to school" season most likely, just in time for R700 (2xRV770). Last infos say it will be single chip and not dual chip like R700, and it's called G200.

Now I hope it makes things a bit more clear :)

And I've compiled most of news about both nVidia and ATi cards that are incoming in 2 small articles HERE and HERE, I'll try to update them once every 2-3 days with all the news I can find (and that make any sence), I think currently I just miss one or two info's, which I've stated above, and that is that GX2 is going to be real expensive (like 700$ or so) and that G200 is almost certainly single chip design, not dual like R700 (which was expected at first, but those were actualy 9800GX2 rumors that got mixed up obviously).

You made no sence whatsoever in above post. I've bolded a few lines..
Ok, so first you say GX2 will be faster, than you say it will be cheaper than GTX, and that GTX will end up faster. No sence..

Also, rumored price of GX2 is actualy around huge 700$, it is going to replace Ultra, and this means that it's faster and more expensive than GTX which will replace old GTX.

You clearly have a reading problem and you are very selective in your "bolding". I said this:

This card, in SLI (Quad-SLI) and if driver support is better than it was with the 7950 GX2, will be faster than a single 9800 GTX and will appeal to many enthusiasts, as was the intent with the original GX2.

The GX2 in SLI (Quad-SLI) will obviously be faster than a single 9800 GTX.

And the suggested MSRP for a GX2 is $449. This is obviously based on a rumor this far (seen in some sites), but it is what it is.

And because the GTX will be faster IMO, it makes sense that it will also be more expensive. The 9800 GTX will not cost less than the 8800 GTX did, at launch i.e. $650.

I hope I cleared that for you. Next time, actually read what I wrote and don't rely on just what you "bolded".

You clearly have a reading problem and you are very selective in your "bolding". I said this:

And the suggested MSRP for a GX2 is $449. This is obviously based on a rumor this far (seen in some sites), but it is what it is.

And because the GTX will be faster IMO, it makes sense that it will also be more expensive. The 9800 GTX will not cost less than the 8800 GTX did, at launch i.e. $650.

I hope I cleared that for you. Next time, actually read what I wrote and don't rely on just what you "bolded".

well said. any word on when these gfx cards will come out though?

i doubt quad sli will be faster than a single card. u might gain 5-10% in performance adding that second gx2

i doubt quad sli will be faster than a single card. u might gain 5-10% in performance adding that second gx2

It depends on driver support, which I mentioned before, is highly important to tout this new GX2 card. If it is actually better than it was with the original GX2, you can expect much higher boosts in performance, when you go with the Quad-SLI route.

Oops, sorry, my bad - I've missed the quad sli :( (stupid!)

But, still, I belive you're wrong. No way would they bother with GX2 monstrosity just to show up with card that would be at least 50% faster.
Also, I doubt that GX2 will cost 450$. Why? Cos 8800GTS is 350$, and let's face it, it's a good price for what you get, 10% less maybe, no lower. And it will still be a very new card on Feb/March. So let's deduct another 10% of value. And than you have double the price since it's actualy dual everything (except cooler, but that one is almost double as well). And when you include small price premium for getting ability to go quad-SLI, you're not going much under 599$. From there 449$ is wayyyyy lower, and I believe unobtainable. Hell, nVidia is pushing manufacturers to go with lower priced PCBs to cut the cost for 8800GT, so there's no much space to go down there, meaning GTS can't go much lower either. 449? No way!

But ok, I could be wrong, hell, we could all be wrong :D Where are just tooo many -> ?? :confused: ?? <-

Still, your way of thinking is much more unusual than real companies make things actualy work most of the time :)

It won't be 2x8800 GTS 512MB but 2x8800 GT 512MB. Heat output of dual 8800 GTS 512MB would be crazy. I mean yes they can reduce heat output by doing new revision of G92, but it wouldn't be enough.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt_performance/page11.asp
2x8800 GT 512MB sli could still have some serious performance.
----

I also think that it's competition which decides prices. Nvidia is now having good margins with 8800 GTS 512MB and GT 512MB..and selling defective G92's as 8800 GS. I mean that 8800 GTS 320MB was sold for pretty low price and it used G80 core which were 484mm^2 monster, expensive to make, but they still made good amount of money. Now this G92 is 324mm^2 much cheaper to make..

..and Nvidia has one main goal to get more money so ofcourse they are pushing those lower priced pcb's because they don't want to sell G92's cheaper. But the thing is that because of HD 3870 X2 they might not have any other choice.
---

It won't be 2x8800 GTS 512MB but 2x8800 GT 512MB. Heat output of dual 8800 GTS 512MB would be crazy. I mean yes they can reduce heat output by doing new revision of G92, but it wouldn't be enough.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gt_performance/page11.asp
2x8800 GT 512MB sli could still have some serious performance.
----
its 256 shaders so it is 2 8800gts 512. the only real difference between the 8800gt and 8800gts 512mb is that the gt has 112sp and the gts has 128 .

Then they have to reduce clocks dramatically..I mean that single 8800 GTS 512MB has TDP value of 140W..

Back