OCCT - New Intel C2D Stabiltiy Testing application

This is fantastic! I just happened to stumble on this today while testing my new OC. I love how it scales up to 16 cores.

I have one feature request, though, and I don't know if it's possible. Can you integrate CoreTemp (http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/) into the program for reading temperatures. Intel's TAT may be the best for C2D, but for us A64 folk, CoreTemp is the best we have. Its minimal interface and accurate results seem to make it one of the best temperature-monitoring programs you could integrate into OCCT.

how about both coretemp and TAT

This is fantastic! I just happened to stumble on this today while testing my new OC. I love how it scales up to 16 cores.

I have one feature request, though, and I don't know if it's possible. Can you integrate CoreTemp (http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/) into the program for reading temperatures. Intel's TAT may be the best for C2D, but for us A64 folk, CoreTemp is the best we have. Its minimal interface and accurate results seem to make it one of the best temperature-monitoring programs you could integrate into OCCT.

Core temp can be supported by OCCT, unlike TAT...

Hmmm, i do have a party tonight ( Sometimes, you can't avoid RL ;) ), but i'll work on it tomorrow evening i guess...it could be quickly done i think. Expect a beta this week !

I installed the latest version, ran it and it crashed in ten seconds after running the monitor stage. I then raised the cpu volts a notch, and it ran for 2 min. and crashed. I turned off the ram option and ran only the cpu and it went the whole 30 min. no problem. I had run memtest the day before, and found no errors. I'll try it again and play a little with ram voltage and timings and see what happens. Right now, I am running the ram at all stock volts and timing, and my E6600 is at 3.0 Ghz at 1.2125v in bios and at 1.168 in CPUz.

My main question is, however, when I click on the tools button (gear icon), I'm into a window where I can't change, or insert anything. I tried every menu, option, and anywhere else I might see something show up in the custom or any other places where I could insert anything. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Mike

in the Options menu, you have 2 tab sheets : the first one wil lgive you access to test parameters, the second one willgive you access to monitoring options.

When you say you can't change a thing... really nothing ? For instance, can you change the language, or type the "max CPU temp" field in the monitoring part ?

If you do have trouble fr configuring the monitoring, remember that you have to select a monitoring software first (MBM5, Speedfan or Everest) before getting the readings in OCCT ;)

And which version are you using ? (for debugging purposes)

Great find Motley:D
Now i can use 1 of my favourite oc tools again with my c2d build. I've used it many times on my amd rigs as a quick, hard test of stability while ocing, the fraphs are great as well.

many thanks Tetedeiench for all your work:D

I haven't logged in a while to this forum but you deserve thanks for developing this software. Great work and Thank you for developing OCCT.

I've tested my C2D 4300@3GHz (1.33x volts) using OCCT for stability and it works great. It shows within 30 min if my OC is stable or not.

Best of Luck

I haven't logged in a while to this forum but you deserve thanks for developing this software. Great work and Thank you for developing OCCT.

I've tested my C2D 4300@3GHz (1.33x volts) using OCCT for stability and it works great. It shows within 30 min if my OC is stable or not.

Best of Luck

very good, i've tested stable at 3.3ghz.

in the Options menu, you have 2 tab sheets : the first one wil lgive you access to test parameters, the second one willgive you access to monitoring options.

When you say you can't change a thing... really nothing ? For instance, can you change the language, or type the "max CPU temp" field in the monitoring part ?

If you do have trouble fr configuring the monitoring, remember that you have to select a monitoring software first (MBM5, Speedfan or Everest) before getting the readings in OCCT ;)

And which version are you using ? (for debugging purposes)
Thanks for the response.

I will check all you asked and re-post. I will d/l one of those programs and see plus I will check out all your questions. I have been busy and will now focus on this. It seems like a great prog. I just couldn't understand what the tools would do. I missed the part about having to install other programs to work with it, somehow. My bad.

Like I said, I will check it out again, d/l appropriate progs and try again. The version I am using is 1.1.0, BTW.

Thanks,

Mike

OK. Now I get it.

I couldn't get any monitoring results because I didn't have any of the monitoring tools installed that will work with OCCT. I CAN change the max temp, I CAN change the language. All of this under the "monitoring" tab. I was wrong about not being able to change anything.:(

The rest (General tab) works perfectly. Please don't get me wrong, here. I like the prog. My request to you, is somehow try to integrate CoreTemp into the monitoring programs, if possible. I haven't tried the ones you support yet. However, over the years, I have found CoreTemp to be totally reliable and simple.

Thanks,

Mike

Someone that's truly serious about such testing should probably write an application that would run off a bootable CD or USB drive for testing outside of the OS, I'd say. I understand that we're using Windows apps to test for Windows stability, but it's always struck me as quite odd to do so considering that if the software that's responsible for doing the stability testing itself is flawed and fails, how do we even know it?

</random_point>

It really is irrevalent! Can you play 3d games from a command prompt without windows loaded? Hardly...so if I had a cpu that could do 4ghz perfectly running outside of an OS, but it crashes once you try to load an OS and play a game, what good does that do me?

REAL WORLD testing is what matters, and running stability tests from within windows is real world.

OK. Now I get it.

I couldn't get any monitoring results because I didn't have any of the monitoring tools installed that will work with OCCT. I CAN change the max temp, I CAN change the language. All of this under the "monitoring" tab. I was wrong about not being able to change anything.:(

The rest (General tab) works perfectly. Please don't get me wrong, here. I like the prog. My request to you, is somehow try to integrate CoreTemp into the monitoring programs, if possible. I haven't tried the ones you support yet. However, over the years, I have found CoreTemp to be totally reliable and simple.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm working on Core temp support as i said yesterday ;)

It'll probably be in a beta this week or next week.

I had planned to work on it yesterday... but there was a party (and coding when you come back home, drunk, at 2AM, is *NOT* a good idea, especially when you have to be at work @8AM). Can't tonight either, but i'll probably start working on it tomorrow evening.

I'm glad everything finally works fine for you ;) i'll try to get a tutorial done soon...

I'm working on Core temp support as i said yesterday ;)

It'll probably be in a beta this week or next week.

I had planned to work on it yesterday... but there was a party (and coding when you come back home, drunk, at 2AM, is *NOT* a good idea, especially when you have to be at work @8AM). Can't tonight either, but i'll probably start working on it tomorrow evening.

I'm glad everything finally works fine for you ;) i'll try to get a tutorial done soon...

Thanks, I'll keep checking for it. I know what you mean about operating under the influence, so to speak. I went out the night I built my previous PC and had the brilliant idea of assembly when I got home $300 in shorted outMB, and ruined cpu cured me of that.:D

Mike

occtchinesexj0.jpg

*grin*

I downloaded it yesterday and overall, it's not bad. It was fast to detect bad overclocks but one time, I was concerned about the accuracy because I ran it for 30 mins and it told me it's stable. After this, I ran Orthos to double-check and it failed after 1:30 hours so it's not a end-for-all tool for stability checking.... I hoped that if OCCT tell it's stable, it is 100% stable under Orthos.

I downloaded it yesterday and overall, it's not bad. It was fast to detect bad overclocks but one time, I was concerned about the accuracy because I ran it for 30 mins and it told me it's stable. After this, I ran Orthos to double-check and it failed after 1:30 hours so it's not a end-for-all tool for stability checking.... I hoped that if OCCT tell it's stable, it is 100% stable under Orthos.

i'm sure OCCT would have detected something in 1hour or so ;)

Remember you can customize OCCT to run for much longer. The 30 min test is usually good for almost all cases, to get a quick idea, but having orthos fail after one hour and a half means a "on the edge of stability" overclock, and i'm sure OCCT can detect it if it runs longer ;) I always recommand running OCCT for at least 2 hours, maybe even 4, if you want to be almost 100% sure ;)

Compare OCCT in CPU&RAM mode with orthos, both of them running the very same time ;) OCCT should fail first. Well, it may not, mind you, but OCCT usually detects errors first ;) And at least, it will be an even match !

Thanks for clarifying, I was also feeling it was on the edge and I just bumped the cpu voltage a notch and will retest shortly with both Orthos and OCCT at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying, I was also feeling it was on the edge and I just bumped the cpu voltage a notch and will retest shortly with both Orthos and OCCT at the same time.

I'm pretty sure (even if not 100% sure), that running both tests at the same pretty much going to hinder OCCT's capability to detect computing errors...

I do not really recommend it ;)

I don't have enough test data to be 100% sure about that, but it's a enlightened guess i am doing :)

i'm sure OCCT would have detected something in 1hour or so ;)

Remember you can customize OCCT to run for much longer. The 30 min test is usually good for almost all cases, to get a quick idea, but having orthos fail after one hour and a half means a "on the edge of stability" overclock, and i'm sure OCCT can detect it if it runs longer ;) I always recommand running OCCT for at least 2 hours, maybe even 4, if you want to be almost 100% sure ;)

Compare OCCT in CPU&RAM mode with orthos, both of them running the very same time ;) OCCT should fail first. Well, it may not, mind you, but OCCT usually detects errors first ;) And at least, it will be an even match !

i was also wondering this. although occt was stable and orthos was stable for at leas 1 hr i wanted to be extra sure. the weird thing is that orthos passed the test for 30mins last night. when ir an it today again, it wouldn't pass the 30min mark

The bottom line, like Tetedeiench said, is to give you a quick idea if the computer is stable or not. Normally, when you found a "pretty stable" overclocking, it pay to do extra testing like 8 hours OCCT or 24 hours Orthos before assuming it's 100% stable. Usually, if this happen, you are bordeline from 100% stability so a voltage bump or a small speed reduction will give you what you want.

The bottom line, like Tetedeiench said, is to give you a quick idea if the computer is stable or not. Normally, when you found a "pretty stable" overclocking, it pay to do extra testing like 8 hours OCCT or 24 hours Orthos before assuming it's 100% stable. Usually, if this happen, you are bordeline from 100% stability so a voltage bump or a small speed reduction will give you what you want.

usually if it passes once on 30mins then i think it should be okay to pass another 30 mins on another day. how can occt pass 30mins yeterday and not pass today. the settings are the same, nothing changed

i was also wondering this. although occt was stable and orthos was stable for at leas 1 hr i wanted to be extra sure. the weird thing is that orthos passed the test for 30mins last night. when ir an it today again, it wouldn't pass the 30min mark

Error generation is random, that's why. What i do is just make those errors likely to happen... however, sometimes it will fail sometimes not.

But as soon as one error is detected, you can be 100% sure there had been a problem :D

The bottom line, like Tetedeiench said, is to give you a quick idea if the computer is stable or not. Normally, when you found a "pretty stable" overclocking, it pay to do extra testing like 8 hours OCCT or 24 hours Orthos before assuming it's 100% stable.
Is spot on.
I've worked far more with the earlier versions of OCCT & it's prime benefit was it quickly let u know how good an oc was, it was taken as read that further testing needed to be done. The fact that the run can be tailored is a big plus, but clearly implies the need for extended testing. That's why people talk about levels of stability :-
1M Super Pi stable
32m Super Pi stable
OCCT Stable 30Min
OCCT Stabvility ? hours user defined
Orthos ?hr stable
etc.,

they show an increasing duration of proven stability.It's down to the individual which level of stability their happy with.

so it's not a end-for-all tool for stability checking
Lol!! you don't expect much do u. A miracle ptrogramme that runs in 30min. & will guarantee 100% stability if passed :D Mmmmmmmmm.:D

luck:)

Having a program stating that your CPU is 100% stable will never exist. As i said, those errors are random, and thus, even if you ran OCRTorthosPrimeSuperPI2010 for 10 days you could not be 100% sure your CPU is stable.

There are just, as previously said, levels of stability, and OCCT is actually pretty good at finding errors early... at least, it does detect errors faster than others. That's its strength : i'm more efficient :)

And the test, overall, is as precise as theirs... i have a lot of examples where the computer is Orthos-stable and not OCCT-stable, but thereverse has been pretty rare, and usually OCCT customized (like CPU mode or RAM mode instead of CPU&RAM) fixed that ;)

I'm just giving you facts here, it's not advertisement ;) That's what the results of my beta-testers are... i have a bunch of pretty nice people making their computer unstable for the sake of testing OCCT's efficiency... and thanks to them, it got better with 1.1.0 :)

what is the equivalence of a 30min stable occt equal to comapred to orthos?

would it be like 30mins OCCT = 3hrs orthos?

As it is random, it is really hard to say... it doesn't multiply or add at all...

So i really can't tell you...

One test showed OCCT being 10times faster (yeah, 10 times), another showed OCCT being twice faster, another showed OCCT equal to orthos, ... and so on.

how about some kind of sound that would occur when occt crashes? that way you don't have to be at your computer and when you hear it, you know it's time to change some settings

usually if it passes once on 30mins then i think it should be okay to pass another 30 mins on another day. how can occt pass 30mins yeterday and not pass today. the settings are the same, nothing changed

Another factor might be changes in ambient temperature. I know I get probably a 200mhz better OC in the winter compared to the summer simply because of the ambient temp.

I get significantly higher cpu temperatures when I use orthos rather than OCCT ?

It's possible, but OCCT and orthos are not designed to be real-tough CPU heaters... they DO load the cpu, make it generate heat more than alot of programs out there, but as there's error checking, it will never be as tough as others like Intel TAT, for instance.

I promised it, there it is :)

OCCT PT 1.1.1.b01 : Core temp support (make sure it is running before selecting it in OCCT) and chinese support :

http://www.ocbase.com/OpenBeta/OCCTPT1.1.1.b01.zip

bug!
when you use coretemp during occt running. and ur monitering temps in occt with coretemp. there's a pop message warning taht says you have close speedfan. please correct that.
ALSO NEW OCCT now with ADVERTISEMENTS

bug!
when you use coretemp during occt running. and ur monitering temps in occt with coretemp. there's a pop message warning taht says you have close speedfan. please correct that.
ALSO NEW OCCT now with ADVERTISEMENTS

OCCT with advertisements ?

What do you mean ?

OCCT doesn't come with ads of any sort...

As for the bug, i can't reproduce it here... what exactly were you doing ? If you did close coretemp, this message is normal (i just forgot to replace "speedfan" by "CoreTemp").

OCCT with advertisements ?

What do you mean ?

As for the bug, i can't reproduce it here... what exactly were you doing ? If you did close coretemp, this message is normal (i just forgot to replace "speedfan" by "CoreTemp").

donation advertisements :D :D :D
how come it's a zip folder not a .exe installation?

how about adding a sound alert when the occt crashes?

donation advertisements :D :D :D
how come it's a zip folder not a .exe installation?

how about adding a sound alert when the occt crashes?

Ah yes :D The message you have seen is as follows :

"OCCT detected that you closed Speedfan. You shouldn't do it. OCCT will now terminate. Bye. Never do it again while OCCT is running. It's a weird idea anyway.
It's because of such silly ideas that we, programmers, have such hard work trying to figure out what users might do. Save a programmer. Kill a User :D Donations accepted : iench'a't'ocbase'd'o't'com"

It's a basic error message i did for fun :D

As for the sound, it's on my Todo list :) I'll see with later betas...

OCCT always comes in 2 versions : .exe and .zip . For betas, i always do it only in .zip version (less work), especially since i can release like 5 betas per week, adding new features/correcting bugs...

Ah yes :D The message you have seen is as follows :

"OCCT detected that you closed Speedfan. You shouldn't do it. OCCT will now terminate. Bye. Never do it again while OCCT is running. It's a weird idea anyway.
It's because of such silly ideas that we, programmers, have such hard work trying to figure out what users might do. Save a programmer. Kill a User :D Donations accepted : iench'a't'ocbase'd'o't'com"

It's a basic error message i did for fun :D

As for the sound, it's on my Todo list :) I'll see with later betas...

OCCT always comes in 2 versions : .exe and .zip . For betas, i always do it only in .zip version (less work), especially since i can release like 5 betas per week, adding new features/correcting bugs...

YAY, waitin for the sound.

Back