OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold VX

hero123

Weaksauce
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4000_dual_channel_gold_vx

i was just thinking about purchasing this ram, i was wandering if u people know a good motherboard that supports this ram and would perform well.

im gonna use a socket 939 cpu.
motherboard must allow ram voltage up to 3.3 or more.

if anyone has this ram, mind telling me if its workth getting?

i was also wandering, im probably getting 2 gig of this stuff, should i get 512x4 or 1024x2?

i would assume you plan to overclock?

dfi is one of very few mobo makers that support enough voltage to make VX fly. just make sure you got a ram on the sticks if you go over 3.0v

also, VX doesn't come in 1gb quantities.

got any specific DFI i should get?

will a A8N-SLI Premium support this ram, with ram running maximum performance? (allowing it to jack up voltage of ram to 3.3v or more)

you need to answer my question first. if you don't plan to overclock, getting that ram is nothing short of insane.

that said, the a8n is an unwise choice. as i said before, dfi would be your best bet, preferably one of the lanparty nf4 :D

also.. voltage doesn't effect performance, only stability when overclocking

i will be indeed overclocking to obtain maximum performance of the ram, and will be OC'ing cpu also. also, this ram when voltage is jacked up, will be running at ddr500, i just need to know what is good and stable for it to run like the wind.

im also intending to get an AMD64 X2 4400+, just wandering if the DFI supports that.

yes, it does. and since you're overclocking like mad crazy, you've got no choice but a dfi now, unless you want to spend the extra money on a ddr booster :D

lol :) no need for booster, im not gonna go that far for me to need it ^^

thx alot eclipse.

The only boards that will give you enough voltage are one of the Lanparty NF4 series and some of the Abit AN8 series. The Asus won't give you the 3.2V or so necessary to get tight timings and high speeds.

doesn't that only come in 2x512? and if one gets 2 gigs off that is it still possible to oc at 2-2-2 timings?

yeh sorry, it was my mistake, it does only come in 2x512s so im getting 4x512s.

hero123 said:
yeh sorry, it was my mistake, it does only come in 2x512s so im getting 4x512s.
4x512mb is unwise for a64's you'll have to drop to 2T command rate. i have done testing that shows that 2-2-2 at 2T is roughly equal to 3-3-3 at 1T. might as well save your money and get some cheap 2x1gb sticks

got any recommendations? for the type of ram and brand i should get? with my AMD64 X2 4400+ and DFi mobo.? keeping in mind i want to have 2 gig preferably PC4000(DDR500) and the timings are low.. :D

and btw, please taking in mind im a RAM newbie, why wouldnt i be able to run 4x512 with 1T?

well, first know that ram speed and timings don't exactly have a large effect on performance for a64's:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=917047

next, the K8 cpu's with the integrated controller.. they simply aren't robust enough to run with 4 double sided sticks of ram at 1T. before revE cpu's, you had to drop to 166mhz, 2T, for an even larger hit (actually noticable in some cases)

last.. 2gb with low timings is kinda difficult. you either have to get 4x512mb, but that's 2T, killing latency, or 2x1gb, and 1gb sticks either don't oc well or have loose timings. your best bet would be crucial ballistix:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146578

to what ic, there isnt much of a performace drop, about 5%. is there any other areas that will affect the performance greatly if using 2T for this ram? (VXgold one.OCZ) the main thing i will be doing is some hard serious gaming.

o yea, and the crucial ram u recommended isnt available where i live. (australia) :(

well, the way i look at it is more from a set-up standpoint. there have been a lot of reports of 4x512mb just being plain finicky, and a hassle to get working. yes, sometimes it works just fine, but others it's annoying. just go for some cheap 2x1gb sticks. can you find patriot ram down there? :D

The critical thing to confirm with OCZ.... are they VX or not. VX is defined as using Winbond UTT-CH chips, not BH.

I have 2 sets of 4x512M actual VX that all 8 sticks do 250Mhz in 4x512M trim (2T of course) all @ 3.25V on DFI NF4 SLI-DR's. And if the Vtt bug is ever fixed, I think they will go to 260-270 range in 4x512M trim.

I only have 2x512M of the OCZ BH based "Gold" sticks, they do 255Mhz rock solid in the same board. At somepoint I want 2 more sticks to assess 4x512M performance with the new-BH based sticks.

There is NO question the PC4000 real VX is the best ram on the market. The fastest chips ever made and somehow they went out of production never to be seen again. So get the real VX while it's hot.

Im surmising, but the reason the "ValueVX" sticks were converted to BH (as it was explained to me by OCZ) was shortage and ending of production of UTT-CH. THey have stockpiled chips, but will use them for 4000VX only.

Winbond/Infineon/whatever they are now stopped making them.... the best rtam EVER made and they stopped bothering, like WTF :mad:

Back