OCZ is Dead

how the mighty have fallen...they used to be the premiere memory manufacturer...their early SSD products were also very well received...sad to see them go

Not that I am any fan of OCZ, but the same author has been writing similar articles about OCZ on SeekingAlpha for almost two years. If you read his piece last year they were already dead then too...but yet they are here, shipping product and not apparently surviving. They are not exactly healthy, but it not clear that they are on their last breath either.

The dude has cried wolf too long to be taken seriously.

Trust me, I am NO fan of OCZ, but as PigLover pointed out that guy linked on Seekingalpha has a hard on for OCZ, almost 1/2 his articles relate to OCZ and most not in a good light.

Huh, thought OCZ was a far older company: Turns out that it was launched in 2002.

Learn something new every day.

Everybody hates OCZ but I have had nothing but great experiences with the OCZ products I own.

Trust me, I am NO fan of OCZ, but as PigLover pointed out that guy linked on Seekingalpha has a hard on for OCZ, almost 1/2 his articles relate to OCZ and most not in a good light.

he's heavily short

he's heavily short

How do you know that Austin Craig is short OCZ? The only disclosure I see is that he is long MU.

Anyway, if he is short OCZ, that makes his article more credible, since he is putting his money where his mouth is. Even if you think he is trying to influence the price of the stock by writing the article, you should consider that he could have chosen any stock to short and then write an article about. But you claim he chose to short OCZ, risking his money on the bet that he is right that OCZ is going down. That makes him more credible than someone who has no money at stake.

Of course, he may not have any money on OCZ, long or short, since I do not see it in his disclosure. I do see (in an older article he wrote) that he used to be long OCZ, so apparently he has changed his view over the past couple years. Which again looks credible to me, since OCZ's financial troubles became public only in the last couple years.

Last edited:
A few years ago, almost all ocz ssds on newegg had 3,2, or 1 eggs. Horrible reliability.

Bummer - the company that made consumer SSDs mainstream is finally dead. Competition is good - this is bad.

Think if AMD was a force to be reckoned with.... think how much better Haswell shoulda/coulda been.

Think of all those people and their families...

And the OCZ employees that would delete entire forum threads that were critical of their SSD's or unethical practice of switching to inferior NAND without notice. Yes think of them. :)

Bummer - the company that made consumer SSDs mainstream is finally dead
If lying about actual performance and substituting inferior NAND chips can be called "making SSDs mainstream" I must be missing the point.

These guys preyed on uniformed consumers with their low prices and deceptive advertising.

I was using SSDs well before the first OCZ SSD came out.

I had an 80GB Intel X25-M G1 as my first SSD. There was certainly nothing decent from OCZ at the time I bought it. Intel really created the consumer market for MLC SSDs by showing what could be done -- prior MLC efforts from other manufacturers had quite pathetic performance.

Once Intel showed what could be done with MLC SSDs, the market really took off, with good performance, and prices slowly began going down. OCZ was one of several manufacturers that drove prices down. But there was nothing singular about OCZ, unless you count cutting every corner possible (including deceptive marketing and poor quality products) in order to sell more product.

Last edited:
Haha if anything I was worried about OCZ making people scared of switching to SSD just from the problems they had early on. I had to talk my friend into solid states again because he had a bad one. That and horror stories with their ram sticks going bad multiple times. They seemed to have lower reliability across the board, I never really thought of them as an option for anything.

I never had a problem when I bought OCZ memory in the past.. but I know I have it burned in my head on the ssd's.... "Friends don't let friends buy OCZ" LoL... Who started that?

I only have 1 OCZ SSD, but it is a couple years old now and has never had a problem. And has been abruptly powered off several times during storms and stuff.

That being said, I think OCZ was in an AMD situation. Where you had a bunch of big storage and memory companies (Intel, Samsung, Micron, etc) that sat on the sidelines either because of arrogance or not wanting to take risk. So OCZ was able to make big strides in the market with the limited resources they had.

However, once the big boys saw SSD had potential, particulary those who would manufacture the actual NAND, the little OCZ company just didn't stand a chance.

This is like Intel allowing AMD to become a strong force because they were too stubborn to give up on the Netburst and Pentium 4. Intel is the biggest baddest semiconductor company out there. Once they realized all they had to do was throw their money at it, AMD didn't have a chance.

As long as the big guys have the same motivation as the little guys, there really is no chance for the little guy. Its only when the dragon sleeps can you slay it.

I think this sucks. I'm no real fan of OCZ but I am a big fan of this hobby and when PC sales are circling the drain, it isn't good for us when companies like OCZ that cater to the enthusiast market go tits up. Even if they are to blame, we need the companies that build our toys to flourish and OCZ is one of the bigger names out there.

Joke how you want about it. Their pci-express ssds was blazing fast. Although they did have some motherboard issues at that time with the ssds. Never honestly had any issues with the one I had. It is sad to see them go, if that is the case now. People with all the products are just going to be stuck. Not to mention, another company will go up a little more since another company leaves.

I hope nobody. The PCI bus shares a whopping 133MB/s bandwidth between all the PCI slots when running at 33Mhz.

/sarcasm off

Back