Official ASUS Response to Resume/Hibernate Problem with Internal PLL Voltage Enabled

I am having the same issues here. Just yesterday, I completely wiped my system, upgraded the BIOS to 1801 (after trying 1606 and 1702) and reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 with the latest drivers for everything, leaving the BIOS options at their defaults in an attempt to get sleep working.

Won't wake from sleep after 15-20 minutes.

Manually disabled PLL Overvoltage (previously I had been doing this anyway) won't wake from sleep.
Manually enabled S3 etc. (as it was previously set to) still won't wake up.

In 1502, the machine would power on, but never boot, and required me to do a cold boot to start up. (power off & on, rather than reset)
Now, in 1801 when waking from sleep, the power comes on for a second and then cuts out.

My system is a Sabertooth P67 (my second B3 board, after the first wouldn't up the CPU multiplier from 16x regardless of load or BIOS config) with a 2500K and 2x4GB Corsair RAM and a GTX570. Currently, while trying to sort out these sleep issues, it is not overclocked, but I was running it at 4.5GHz with PLL Overvoltage disabled previously. (system was 100% stable after extensive testing)

There are seven SATA devices connected up to my system, so I can't disable the Marvell controller, but it isn't booting off a drive connected to that.

The DRAM Data REF or Ctrl REF options do not seem to be there on the Sabertooth board.

I am having the same issues here. Just yesterday, I completely wiped my system, upgraded the BIOS to 1801 (after trying 1606 and 1702) and reinstalled Windows 7 SP1 with the latest drivers for everything, leaving the BIOS options at their defaults in an attempt to get sleep working.

Won't wake from sleep after 15-20 minutes.

Manually disabled PLL Overvoltage (previously I had been doing this anyway) won't wake from sleep.
Manually enabled S3 etc. (as it was previously set to) still won't wake up.

In 1502, the machine would power on, but never boot, and required me to do a cold boot to start up. (power off & on, rather than reset)
Now, in 1801 when waking from sleep, the power comes on for a second and then cuts out.

My system is a Sabertooth P67 (my second B3 board, after the first wouldn't up the CPU multiplier from 16x regardless of load or BIOS config) with a 2500K and 2x4GB Corsair RAM and a GTX570. Currently, while trying to sort out these sleep issues, it is not overclocked, but I was running it at 4.5GHz with PLL Overvoltage disabled previously. (system was 100% stable after extensive testing)

There are seven SATA devices connected up to my system, so I can't disable the Marvell controller, but it isn't booting off a drive connected to that.

The DRAM Data REF or Ctrl REF options do not seem to be there on the Sabertooth board.

Hi Andrew,

I need a full drivers list - possibly an AIDA 64 report if you can provide one please.

The 18** BIOSes have leaked out from somewhere and should not have. Generally speaking when BIOSes are ready for users to flash en masse they are passed to me with the fix list and instructions. I then put them up on the forum.

Can you tell me where you downloaded this BIOS from please?

-Raja

I need a full drivers list - possibly an AIDA 64 report if you can provide one please.
I'm not familiar with AIDA 64, but have downloaded the trial. What kind of report do you need?

The 18** BIOSes have leaked out from somewhere and should not have. Generally speaking when BIOSes are ready for users to flash en masse they are passed to me with the fix list and instructions. I then put them up on the forum.

Can you tell me where you downloaded this BIOS from please?
It's on the ASUS FTP: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/

Any particular reason you have 1.50V set for PLL?

This will impact downstream sampling margins and possibly affect the signal eye size on this architecture (it isn't like LGA 1366 and 1156 inmplementations). Do you still need to offset the DQ and CMD/CTRL reference with PLL set to default?

-Raja

Any particular reason you have 1.50V set for PLL?

This will impact downstream sampling margins and possibly affect the signal eye size on this architecture (it isn't like LGA 1366 and 1156 inmplementations). Do you still need to offset the DQ and CMD/CTRL reference with PLL set to default?

-Raja
Sorry, didn't understand that much. With 1.5v for CPU PLL everything runs smooth, burning programms run without any errors. I just thought lower is better like for vcore...
Should I raise it to it's default ?

May I ask a little off topic question ? On P8Z68-V Pro what's the difference between the red and black USB 2.0 ports ? They are all connected to Intel controller right ? Is there any technical difference ?

Sorry, didn't understand that much. With 1.5v for CPU PLL everything runs smooth, burning programms run without any errors. I just thought lower is better like for vcore...
Should I raise it to it's default ?

May I ask a little off topic question ? On P8Z68-V Pro what's the difference between the red and black USB 2.0 ports ? They are all connected to Intel controller right ? Is there any technical difference ?

You should use PLL at default on this architecture - the clocking limitations of this architecture are very bound to the right PLL voltage level (hence the internal PLL OV option working the way it does). I think the reason you are having to offset the DQ and CMD refs is to compensate for any timing mismatch caused in the clock distribution network within the CPU due to a low PLL voltage.

So yes, try default of 1.8V for PLL and see if you still need DQ and CMD ref offset for S3 resume.

-Raja

You should use PLL at default on this architecture - the clocking limitations of this architecture are very bound to the right PLL voltage level (hence the internal PLL OV option working the way it does). I think the reason you are having to offset the DQ and CMD refs is to compensate for any timing mismatch caused in the clock distribution network within the CPU due to a low PLL voltage.

So yes, try default of 1.8V for PLL and see if you still need DQ and CMD ref offset for S3 resume.

-Raja
Oh, ok. I did try many times at auto or 1.8v manualy set. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The only way to get it working 100% of times is to set those offsets.
But this problem is clearly CPU bound. I've change from CPU this week, the former one didn't require such tuning from DRAM Reference Voltages.

Could be a weak memory controller then I suppose. It's certainly not normal to need to offset those voltages for S3 at stock.

-Raja

Last edited:
Ok cool, the full report please. This will show us all drivers etc and hardware you are using.

-Raja
Sorry for the delay. Because I was trying various drivers and options, and had installed a few other things unrelated to this, I ended up wiping the machine again today and starting fresh.

Still experiencing issues. (not that I expected anything different)

I'm happy to spend the time and try whatever is necessary to get this working.

Have PMed you a full AIDA 64 report.

well my patience with his motherboard is wearing thin. I can tolerate the USB problems I've had as they are minor but I need my computer to resume from sleep and hibernation which it won't.

I flashed with the new 1801 BIOS but still no difference. Computer goes to sleep but when it wakes there is no power to any PCIe slots, hence no video nor TV Tuner card working. If I put it into hibernation it just stays there till I power the computer up and then it resumes.

BTW this is after an overnight of being in sleep or hibernation.

Shame really because design wise, this is without doubt the best motherboard for my needs that I have ever owned.

My first desktop build, with an ASUS X58, had sleep problems. My next build, a ASUS P67, had sleep problems. My third build, a Gigabyte Z68, does not have sleep problems.

Your patience is wearing thin, and mine is already gone as far as sleep problems are concerned. I'm glad it's potentially coming to a resolution for ASUS owners as maybe one day in the future I'll go back to the brand, and just maybe a fix would actually benefit other board manufacturers *if* they are experiencing similar problems.

there are lots of people without sleep problems, obviously they arent going ot post here if they dont have problems.

I have 5 customers with systems with Asus P67 boards i built, NONE of them have problems.

I also have customers with both MSI and Gigabyte P67 boards both with and without sleep problems.

The Asus P67 i built for MYSELF does...

Ironic really.

I've been trying my luck with sleep on my P67 setup, not that I need just wanted to know if I have this issue or not.

So with default bios options (everything on auto/default, memory XMP, CPU turbo ratio set to 42) sleep is not working, computer pretend to wake but no signal send to display

with this PPL_Overvoltage set to disabled, and all C states set to enabled computer is reasuming from sleep but, sometimes (quite too often) my BT keyboard/mouse (same I used to wake the board..) are dead and I need to use power switch

I'm using Logitech diNovo keyboard and mouse
any hints where to look to find if it's USB/mobo or Logitech driver related issue?

Last edited:
find which USB port its on and set it to reset on resume, that should fix it. Had the same problem with my BT mxrevolution mouse

its a registry tweak. switch device manager to device by connection and find the id of the connection its on...ill post the reg key as soon as i find it...unless someone else does 1st...lol

Here's another shall we say "interesting" MS hotfix for S3 resume where the result is no response/display:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2410477

Might be worth people checking this out if experiencing these symptoms.

-Raja

Many thanks Raja, I'll give it a go if the changes I'm trying tonight don't work. I have the affected files and devices so might be just the thing.

BTW I just noticed (as a result of reading that hotfix) that my MS keyboard and MS optical mouse are considered by Device Manager in Win 7 SP1 to be HID devices. Is this normal?

id be concerned id they werent. HID=Human Interface Device

fair enough tho I've never seen them that way previously then previously I've always used MS Intellimouse and intellitype drivers and software.

My mx revolution BT mouse shows up as both and HID and as a logitec mouse.

good to hear someone found it useful.

its saved my bacon a few times with misbehaving USB devices.

Raja, what's your take on this?
I have a P8P67Dlx B3 board. It does not resume from Sleep. Tried all the listed solutions including all the listed BIOS.
Bought a P8Z68v pro. Same hardware. Same OS, I just let Windows7 update the drivers and S3 is working fine.
Should I RMA the P8P67Dlx B3?
Tks,
Pierre

I have a P8P67Dlx B3 board. It does not resume from Sleep. Tried all the listed solutions including all the listed BIOS.
Bought a P8Z68v pro. Same hardware. Same OS, I just let Windows7 update the drivers and S3 is working fine.
Tks,
Pierre

If you're using the latest BIOSes on both boards then you can try and RMA.

-Raja

If you're using the latest BIOSes on both boards then you can try and RMA.

-Raja
I realise that it is a sample size of one, but this seems to give credence to the idea that the P67 hardware is fundamentally flawed if a straight swap for a Z68 board fixed things.

Can you give us any details on what is being done to resolve the sleep issues with the P67 boards?

You asked for an AIDA64 report of my system last week, but I am not convinced that this is a software/driver issue at all, especially as the 1702/1801 BIOSes have made this worse in my system. (now powers off immediately, rather than hanging upon waking)

These issues have been around for months now—if they cannot be resolved, the board is unfit for use as far as I am concerned, and I still have problems with SATA drive access hanging for 30+ seconds at a time. (Intel or Marvell ports, happened on both my Sabertooth boards)

Well I'm at my wits end. I need my computer to resume from hibernation every morning to record TV. I put it into hibernation at 1.00am every night and it is supposed to wake up at 6.55am to start the recording. I have a PCIe TV Tuner and associated software to wake the computer and do the recording. I have been doing this same procedure for 3 years until I got my new Sabertooth P67. No matter what I do I can't get it to wake up from hibernation. When I check the computer when I get up I can click the mouse and keyboard but nothing happens, only pressing the power button will get the computer to resume. Needless to say the TV recordings did not occur.

I am using the latest 1801 BIOS with default settings except the following:

Marvell controller disabled
JMicron controller disabled
Serial Port disabled
All SATA ports hot plugging enabled

I am running Win 7 Pro SP1. I have done no less than 5 clean installs in the last 2 weeks in an effort to fix it but no luck.

I don't care that it doesn't resume from sleep overnight but I need it to resume from hibernation.

I was going to try the hotfix that Raja posted but I see that 2 of the 3 files were updated in SP1.

Any suggestions?

Tks,
Pierre

Give everyone Z68 RMAs for POS P67!!!!!!!!!

I know I'm beating a dead horse but this is just icing on the cake Raja. I'm going to have to RMA my board to because I'm not even f'n OC'd and sleep will fail after a nights rest!

Raja and Gary don't think this is a joke. Us enthusiasts remember who cheated us out. I personally am done with Asus. My next board will be some other brand. MSI is looking good right now..

I realise that it is a sample size of one, but this seems to give credence to the idea that the P67 hardware is fundamentally flawed if a straight swap for a Z68 board fixed things.

Can you give us any details on what is being done to resolve the sleep issues with the P67 boards?

You asked for an AIDA64 report of my system last week, but I am not convinced that this is a software/driver issue at all, especially as the 1702/1801 BIOSes have made this worse in my system. (now powers off immediately, rather than hanging upon waking)

These issues have been around for months now—if they cannot be resolved, the board is unfit for use as far as I am concerned, and I still have problems with SATA drive access hanging for 30+ seconds at a time. (Intel or Marvell ports, happened on both my Sabertooth boards)

HQ are trying to recreate the issues. I have some beta BIOSes that we are currently testing. These are not ready for full release though. I am in need of a couple of beta testers to check them out - as we can't recreate everything in the lab (as odd as that sounds to you guys).

Anyone wants to volunteer to test let me know. I need someone who has the issue to do this because we need to confirm this works or if it's something else.

-Raja

A suggestion for Raja
I have a P8P67Dlx here that has the SLEEP issue and as mentioned a straight swap for a Z68 fixed the problem.
That should be a good starting point for you guys to work on this problem.
I can ship it to HQ (or whatever?) so they can find the solution.
In any case, let me know...
note: I presently have a RMA with Asus Canada, but that can wait since you don't have a fix.
Pierre

Back