Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

It has HDCP. Definately works at 720p. Doesn't work at 1080i, since 1080i doesn't work at all over DVI. I haven't heard about anyone testing to see if it works at 1080p.

Hello everyone, hope someone out there is running this monitor with another
The software I use needs two monitors.
I usually have my nvidia card set to Horizontal Span when two monitors are detected.
But since the Dell is 16:9, this will be a problem with second 4:3 screen
Is there a way to still run both together?
~Shawn
www.massta.com

massta said:
Hello everyone, hope someone out there is running this monitor with another
The software I use needs two monitors.
I usually have my nvidia card set to Horizontal Span when two monitors are detected.
But since the Dell is 16:9, this will be a problem with second 4:3 screen
Is there a way to still run both together?
~Shawn
www.massta.com

download, ULTRAMON. http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/download.asp

DangerIsGo said:
Im looking at getting the 2405 at the end of this summer as my friends both have 1 and its huge, i love it, and great for SLI gaming! (As i need a big monitor to take advantage of my SLi goodness that Im about to receive! :p) Anyways, ive heard problems facing the 2407 such as backlight banding (or something like that), input lag, etc.. and to just get the 2405 (which i was going to). But then my friend said that they had fixed all that stuff. I read here about a revision A02 compared to revision A00. Could someone please let me know if those issues have been fixed? If its the monitor that everyone hopes it should be? How is the image quality compared to the 2405? And whats the cheapest you can find it for? $800 is as much as Id go for a monitor. Thanks!

Sry to quote myself, but does anyone know if these issues have been solved w/ the new revisions?

DangerIsGo said:
Sry to quote myself, but does anyone know if these issues have been solved w/ the new revisions?

Hey. I don't have this monitor, but from what I've read: the banding issue has been largely fixed, the input lag is less-than or equal-to the lag on the 2405, and the monitor is great. On sale at Costco for $800; there are also some Dell coupons floating around for a little less than that. I'm looking to buy a 24" monitor in August/September, and this is the one I'll probably buy.

samnmax said:
It has HDCP. Definately works at 720p. Doesn't work at 1080i, since 1080i doesn't work at all over DVI. I haven't heard about anyone testing to see if it works at 1080p.
So if I had a blu-ray drive installed on my PC, it wouldnt display 1080i via DVI??

Krycek1 said:
So if I had a blu-ray drive installed on my PC, it wouldnt display 1080i via DVI??

The Image Constraint Token for HDCP-protected movies apparently won't be implemented until 2010 or 2012 at the earliest according to insider reports. Which means you'll be fine until then.

OK, I keep hearing about the problems with component on this monitor. I'm thinking of buying right now myself and I just have a question about this. I don't have an X-Box 360; does anyone have any experience with using current gen consoles (XBOX, or more importantly to me, PS2) with component? Do the same problems exist there?

Also, how well does the monitor scale to lower resolutions? My current system is showing its age and 1920x1200 is definitely too much for it to handle; I don't plan on upgrading until after October because I'm going to be moving to Arizona and I don't trust the movers that the military contracts out to ship my stuff.

Daggah-
Although I haven't used this monitor, I might be able to help some. I had a 2405, and played PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube on it (the latter two with component, the former with just S-Video) and I actually didn't find the image to be bad (scaled, even to fill the screen), however others with such high-res monitors have complained that it looks terrible. From what I've read, it seems like the scaling on the 2407 is actually a bit better, but it might not be up to your standards. I'm going to guess that whatever problems it has through component are going to be there for all things, and not just the Xbox 360, although, I could possibly be wrong.

Krycek1-
If its installed on your PC, and so your PC is running the software, it should display it. It appears that the problem is with other devices than a PC being able to pass a 1080i/p signal through DVI. So, you should be fine. Its if you wanted to hook up an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player or something of the like.

I would like to add a question of my own, though. How was it confirmed that 1080i won't work through DVI? What was used to test it?

For the others asking about this monitor. It does appear that, for the most part, the banding has been fixed. Some people are getting some vertical banding still, but I don't know if its very bad or not. There were quite a bit of people who never even noticed the banding though, and if it wasn't for the fine people on here (and other places) testing it, they wouldn't know anything was wrong with it. It appears that even if you did still get some slight banding that if you used VGA (which doesn't appear to cause a loss in image quality on this panel) it would not even show up. The 1:1 pixel scaling has been proven false. The last major issue is 1080i/p over DVI, which if you'll only be hooking up a computer with DVI, then its not a problem for you. If you were wanting one to play a Playstation 3 or hook up an upconverting DVD player, you might be out of luck.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I get home and have my friend let me play around with his 2405FPW. I probably wouldn't be the person to notice if there are minor problems with the display; hell I've spent all this time playing PS2 via my cheapo 21" TV that doesn't even have s-video inputs, so I've been playing using composite all this time.

Daggah said:
I guess I'll just have to wait until I get home and have my friend let me play around with his 2405FPW. I probably wouldn't be the person to notice if there are minor problems with the display; hell I've spent all this time playing PS2 via my cheapo 21" TV that doesn't even have s-video inputs, so I've been playing using composite all this time.

In my opinion, playing these game systems through this high resolution monitor will result in picture quality that's worst than your composite tv.

Ok, thanks. I think I'll wait for the BenQ 24" monitor and see how reviews score it. I just bought all the parts for my next computer off Newegg so I'll soon have a system that's just begging for 1920x1200 gaming. :)

In the meantime, at least I have a good audio setup for PS2 gaming...even if I don't have the visual side of things worked out just yet.

oooo DHL just came with my replacement 2407 rev. A02

now i have to ship back the A01.....but for now I'll have (2) 2407s
I dont think my desk is big enough :eek:

bigdogn12 said:
In my opinion, playing these game systems through this high resolution monitor will result in picture quality that's worst than your composite tv.

Nah, they do look better, however with the PS2 you have the issue that most games don't support progressive scan, so then you the monitor has to deinterlace the image.

It's pretty sad that the older Dreamcast system has much better progressive scan support via VGA. Most games work, and they are gorgeous. It's nice to finally see progressive scan coming back (with a bonus of HD support) with the newer systems (PS3/Xbox360)

damn why does he 2407 have better response time then the 2007?
thats the only thing thats making me look at the 2407 becuase i like lower response times.

Just got my 2407 in today. No dead pixels that I've noticed (though I ran through DPB in about a minute, so I didn't look incredibly hard). Horizontal banding is non-existent. Vetical banding exists in the top 20% of the dark shades. Below that is flawless as well. It's not perfect, but I'm more than willing to live with it. And it goes quite lovely with my 2007fp (which does have more severe banding issues, but thats more of an auxillary monitor now :D)

Just got my A02 today (made in mexico). the fedex just showed up, no call, email or notification. no dead pixels that i can find, just the usual LCD backlighting (no bad bleeding) and vertical gradient issue. horizontally it seems to be fine.

bottom line: i know this thing isnt perfect (1080p, vert gradients) but i'm keeping it. i just don't see how i can go back to a 4:3 crt after this.

Noob here so be gentle! :D I hooked up a Xbox 360 to the component input of the 2407. All is not well... the image is way to dark and the colors are over saturated using both 720p and the 1080i resolutions. Even after trying to tweak the color, brightness and contrast I was not able to get a decent image. It seems like the internal gamma setting for the component input is way off. I then tried with the VGA cable and the image was much better. Still dark but correctable. The problem with the VGA option is that you get horrendous VSync issues. Even video shows tearing. My personal opinion is that if you are interested in this monitor to play your Xbox 360 then stay away!! The older 2405 is a better choice (using component) for 360 gaming.
As strictly a computer monitor the 2407 does a fantastic job (using DVI)! Color, black level and response time are all top notch. There is minor banding on the darker end of the color spectrum but nothing that will bother most people. Just remember to lower the brightness settings because the default (50) is like staring at a nuker explosion!! :eek: :p All in all a great PC monitor for the money... to bad the component option is a no go.. (didn't try the svideo or the composite inputs).

you people hooking up Xbox 360s (and anyone with a HDTV hookup via composite)

can you please post pictures?!?!?!

Would these problems concern you (about the component inputs) if you dont care about the component inputs? Cuase id hook up my next gen system to a regular TV or HDTV (when i get one), not this monitor.

Also, was the input lag issue problem with DVI solved? And if you order one from Dells site, do you know what revision your getting? Or is this not like CPU's where you get the latest one thats out and they already stopped making A00 and A01s? And if you get the A00 or A01 from Dell, can you contact them and ask for the new revision (obviously having to send back the older one) and theyll ship one out to you? Or do you have to be stuck w/ it?

DangerIsGo said:
Would these problems concern you (about the component inputs) if you dont care about the component inputs? Cuase id hook up my next gen system to a regular TV or HDTV (when i get one), not this monitor.
If you don't care about component inputs, theres no reason to be worried about the component inputs...if I follow your question correctly.

[/quote]
Also, was the input lag issue problem with DVI solved? And if you order one from Dells site, do you know what revision your getting? Or is this not like CPU's where you get the latest one thats out and they already stopped making A00 and A01s? And if you get the A00 or A01 from Dell, can you contact them and ask for the new revision (obviously having to send back the older one) and theyll ship one out to you? Or do you have to be stuck w/ it?[/QUOTE]
There is effectively 0 input lag when compared to a monitor running 60Hz refresh rate. Any lag compared to monitors at higher refresh rates is merely due to the refresh rate being quicker.

If you get an A00 or A01, follow the instructions at this link
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&message.id=57101
to get it replaced free of charge.

EDIT -
StryderX, when your Vsync is wacked with the VGA, simply turn the monitor off and back on. Fixes it for me every time.

i've heard rumours that they're going to be updating the hardware in the 2407's to fix all banding issues, including the ones in the A02's with vertical banding. Hope we can exchange it without having to worry about the 21 day return policy.

Clevich said:
i've heard rumours that they're going to be updating the hardware in the 2407's to fix all banding issues, including the ones in the A02's with vertical banding. Hope we can exchange it without having to worry about the 21 day return policy.

I think that's false. The Dell moderator misinterpretted a question asking whether color banding would be fixed in all modes, not noticing the 'all modes' part. He corrected himself in a later post. I don't think he said anything about fixing the more minor banding people have been seeing. My understanding though is this banding is only really visible if you are looking for it, and if you make sure to disable any color management (such as Adobe Gamma Loader) it should help even more.

He did say something about ordering sometime in early July to be 'guarenteed' an A02. However, he made a similar statement about ordering the monitor in early June which turned out false, so it's hard to say how accurate that is.

DangerIsGo said:

Well for me, I'm a low ranking enlisted person in the US Air Force, so I don't get a whole lot of money to spend...the decision is pretty much between getting a 24" widescreen monitor, or perhaps investing a bit more and going for something in the 30-32" LCD TV range. So if I did get the 24" monitor, I'd want one that I could use for more than just my computer. :) Hope this explains my concerns.

WHOAguitarninja said:
StryderX, when your Vsync is wacked with the VGA, simply turn the monitor off and back on. Fixes it for me every time.
Do you actually think that is an exceptable fix for the VGA VSync issue? Don't get me wrong, I love this monitor but Dell definitely has a ton of bugs to address.

Daggah said:
Well for me, I'm a low ranking enlisted person in the US Air Force, so I don't get a whole lot of money to spend...the decision is pretty much between getting a 24" widescreen monitor, or perhaps investing a bit more and going for something in the 30-32" LCD TV range. So if I did get the 24" monitor, I'd want one that I could use for more than just my computer. :) Hope this explains my concerns.

I was in the AFROTC at my college..but i dropped out :/

There is effectively 0 input lag when compared to a monitor running 60Hz refresh rate. Any lag compared to monitors at higher refresh rates is merely due to the refresh rate being quicker.

? I dont understand. I thought the 2407FPWs had input lag along with the color binding and backlight bleeding, but the input lag was the biggest problem (or was this another monitor?)

i contacted dell about the dead pixels and they are giving me this BS that the pixels have to be next to each other for an exchange and that anywhere from 1-5 dead pixels are normal. i told them I'd rather just keep the A01 then.....what have you other guys done to get a replacement?

DangerIsGo said:
I was in the AFROTC at my college..but i dropped out :/

? I dont understand. I thought the 2407FPWs had input lag along with the color binding and backlight bleeding, but the input lag was the biggest problem (or was this another monitor?)

I think you're actually combining a few monitors. Input lag on the 2405 was a problem. I have yet to hear anyone complain about it on the 2407, and tests have showed that compared with a 60hz monitor, the 2407 actually comes out ahead by milisecond or so, if it differs at all.. I haven't seen any complaints of backlight bleeding on the 2407 at all either. The only real remaining issue is that there is slight banding in vertical gradients. There is none in horizontal gradients as far as I can tell, and in vertiacal gradients there is slight banding in the darker regions.

Also, if the 360 is anything to go by, component in looks awful. VGA looks much better.

StryderX- Is it an acceptable fix? Well, it only takes about 3 seconds so it doesn't really bother me, but I suppose it's a bug that shouldn't be there. It doesn't happen every time for me, and when it does i just flick the monitor off then back on and all is well, so I don't see it as a big issue at all. The poor quality of component in is by far the biggest problem with the monitor for me.

My A02 2407wfp came today and it has no stuck or dead pixels. It's not dark enough to test the backlight bleeding yet. The backlight is brighter on the left side than the right, but that is an inherent problem with large widescreen monitors that cannot be fixed. The vertical gradient banding is only noticeable in certain situations. 95% of my wallpapers that have some vertical gradients look fine. The test patterns look ok, you can only really see the gradient if you are lookin for it, or if the gradient is huge (like certain sky shots in some of apple's HD trailers). I've been searching for a monitor for so long that if the backlight on this thing doesn't bleed I will probably keep it inspite of the problems.

SonComet said:
My A02 2407wfp came today and it has no stuck or dead pixels. It's not dark enough to test the backlight bleeding yet. The backlight is brighter on the left side than the right, but that is an inherent problem with large widescreen monitors that cannot be fixed. The vertical gradient banding is only noticeable in certain situations. 95% of my wallpapers that have some vertical gradients look fine. The test patterns look ok, you can only really see the gradient if you are lookin for it, or if the gradient is huge (like certain sky shots in some of apple's HD trailers). I've been searching for a monitor for so long that if the backlight on this thing doesn't bleed I will probably keep it inspite of the problems.

So your saying even with the A02, some monitors are slipping through w/ problems?

DangerIsGo said:
So your saying even with the A02, some monitors are slipping through w/ problems?
Yeah the vertical gradients on ctrl-alt-deletes website are pretty bad. The horizontal gradients on gamespot's background are pretty bad (on multimedia mode they go from bad to atrocious). On the superman trailer when the DC Comics symbol appears the gradient is really bad. On the Ratatouille trailer the gradient in the sky is pretty bad. On the Ridge Racer 7 HD trailer the gradients that were perfect on my old monitor are terrible. MGS4 HD trailers look fine, peaceful warrior trailer looks fine except for one scene with the crowd blurred (which shows a gradient problem, the xmen and narnia trailers had some minor gradient problems if I was looking for it. I dunno if I will keep this afterall. Maybe I will try it out for a week since I ordered it from costco and an return it whenever.

Edit: I don't know if this banding is something I can get used to. Any wallpaper or movie with a darker gradient has really noticeable banding. If anyone wants me to I can take pictures of this still existant problem.

SonComet said:
Yeah the vertical gradients on ctrl-alt-deletes website are pretty bad. The horizontal gradients on gamespot's background are pretty bad (on multimedia mode they go from bad to atrocious). On the superman trailer when the DC Comics symbol appears the gradient is really bad. On the Ratatouille trailer the gradient in the sky is pretty bad. On the Ridge Racer 7 HD trailer the gradients that were perfect on my old monitor are terrible. MGS4 HD trailers look fine, peaceful warrior trailer looks fine except for one scene with the crowd blurred (which shows a gradient problem, the xmen and narnia trailers had some minor gradient problems if I was looking for it. I dunno if I will keep this afterall. Maybe I will try it out for a week since I ordered it from costco and an return it whenever.

Edit: I don't know if this banding is something I can get used to. Any wallpaper or movie with a darker gradient has really noticeable banding. If anyone wants me to I can take pictures of this still existant problem.

you have an A00, A01, or A02?

SonComet said:

Edit: I don't know if this banding is something I can get used to. Any wallpaper or movie with a darker gradient has really noticeable banding. If anyone wants me to I can take pictures of this still existant problem.[/QUOTE]

Please do, I'm sure many will find it helpful.

Back