Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

Well I just got this thing and I'm typing this on it right now.

Let me just say OMG IT'S HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

1920x1200 is an amazing resolution! I can tile two firefox webpages vertically and have two 960x1200 pages for viewing. It's awesome!

This monitor has three preset modes: Gaming, Desktop, and Multi-Media. They all fit and work great.

Switching to gaming mode brightens up the screen so you can see easier in dark maps, this helps in BF2 and CS: S.

I'm running this thing on a 7900GT (500/1500).

In the CS: S VST:

1920x1200
2xTRMSAA
16xAF
Every other option maxed
92.21FPS

It all runs smooth! Forget getting a 7900GTX for this, you don't need it!

I run BF2 @ 1920x1200, every option maxed with 2xTRMSAA and it runs perfectly smooth!
There is no hint of stuttering with either of these games.

I still have to try out fear, CoD2, Quake 4 and other but I'm extremely impressed ! :D

RumblePen said:
Are there any huge problems using this monitor with an xbox 360?

I cannot say because I don't own a 360.

I've heard that the component quality isn't the best, you might try searching around. This is a moot point for me however because this monitor is never going to hooked to anything but my computer.

RumblePen said:
Are there any huge problems using this monitor with an xbox 360?

Nope. I use my 360 on it and it works wonderfully through VGA. If you consider investing in VGA cables a huge problem, then avoid this though. The component input is pretty poor.

One minor problem is that in "aspect" mode (the monitor calls it 4:3 for some reason, but it's really aspect) is that sometimes when you boot the system up the monitor will have some pretty major tearing, but that's easily fixable by turning the monitor off then back on. Once that is done, it's basically perfect.

I find that since the component inputs aren't even half decent, that is ridiculous. I'm spending in excess of $700 on a monitor advertised with many features yet one major feature doesn't function correctly. :(

DSC00614.jpg

Mine just arrived...keep in mind that what I say, I say from the perspective of someone who really isn't very picky about displays. I'm happy with it. I am very disappointed in the problem with scaling 1600x1200 across the entire screen with no way to change it, but other than that, I am a satisfied customer. Scaling isn't *too* horrible...much better than my L90D+, that's for sure...it's obviously blurry but no monitor is crystal clear when downsampling a lower resolution image. 1280x800 is tolerable by my standards. In 4:3 1280x1024 doesn't look too bad either (obviously it's not acceptable for windows use but I think I can stomach it for gaming) so I guess for games that don't support widescreen, I'll be using that.

No dead pixels from what I can tell...I did my own little simple test just viewing 1920x1200 pictures in Windows Paint with different colors (white, black, red, yellow, green, blue, etc.) and didn't notice anything.

For the past few days I've been using my friend's 2405FPW and been getting used to 1920x1200...I really like the 2407WPF's styling a lot more though.

Umm, also, is there a way to tell the monitor to always scale images by their aspect ratio? If I set it to 1280x1024 I have to manually go in and select 4:3 scaling...every single time I set it. Annoying (unacceptable!).

OK, it gets more complicated...it will not give me the option to select any kind of aspect ratio/scaling options for 1280x960 as well...1280x1024 is an oddball res technically at 5:4...but it will remember scaling options for 1024x768 and 1152x864.

The 1600x1200 scaling is beginning to really piss me off though.

You can calculate and approximate that. 1200 pixels x .27mm = 32.4cm + about 4cm for the frame so about 36.5cm or about 14.4 inches...hope that helps...I'd measure it but I'm not at home. ;)

Wow,...hows that for a 1st post,...I just replied to a post from the bottom of the 1st page...disregard...and move on.

Daggah said:
OK, it gets more complicated...it will not give me the option to select any kind of aspect ratio/scaling options for 1280x960 as well...1280x1024 is an oddball res technically at 5:4...but it will remember scaling options for 1024x768 and 1152x864.

The 1600x1200 scaling is beginning to really piss me off though.

It's too bad you don't have a nvidia card, I can scale 1600x1200 with black bars on the sides :D

It's nVidia scaling with a fixed aspect ratio ;)

winston856 said:
It's too bad you don't have a nvidia card, I can scale 1600x1200 with black bars on the sides :D

It's nVidia scaling with a fixed aspect ratio ;)

That's odd...I just tried my laptop which has an nVidia 6600 Go...although it wasn't using DVI. I couldn't get 1600x1200 to display properly there, either.

OK, I just recieved my 2407FPW on Monday, (actually Fri but since dells tracking is about 4 days behind I had no idea it was comming).

First impression, build quality is good but not above average for what I am used to seeing.

No comment on the included stand, I use a wall mount to free up some extra desk space. I was a bit worried that the monitor would be too heavy for my two arm articulating wall mount, but the monitor is actually pretty light and I had no issues with that.

1st boot:
The 1st thing that I noticed is that this monitor takes a few seconds to turn on from standby mode. With my computer it finally turns on just in time for me to see the "Press Delete to enter Setup Menu" prompt. The second thing I noticed was that on this black backround there is significant blacklight bleed from the bottom left corner. This is only noticeable in a dark room from close proximity. Farther away, say more than 4 feet it is all but gone. This is tolerable for me as the only time I have a black backround is when I am watching a DVD or HDTV. In wich case I am almost always further away from the screen.

After adjusting to 1920x1200 the 1st thing I did was run the Nvidia display wizard. i had to lower the Brightness to 40 at the highest and now a few days later it sits at 30. Color did not have to be adjusted, with this wizard it was allready spot on.

Photos:
Holy Crap the photos...I love photography as does my wife and so looking at pictures from our Digital Rebel XT on the old samsung 712n did little to impress/inspire us. Sure they looked vibrant and clear but they did little to portray the brilliance of the scene or the camera. The 1st photo I brought up was of me and my wife from a recent engagement photoshoot done by my brother and his Canon 10D SLR. "Oh Wow!" was all my wife could utter, who was sitting on the bed behind me. The Shear size of the screen combined with its WUXGA resolution and brilliant acurate color render the photograph in a virtual window....Seriously, those of you who have looked at high quality photos on this in full screen must know what I am talking about. I had the urge to pull up my pictures folder and look at all of my old photos again just to see what they "really" look like in all there high res glory. OK, you get the point, the photos look really cool on this monitor.

Video:
I am a visual junky, and a picky one at that. So I was very curious to test the 1080p water with this new monitor as well as the 1080i broadcast HDTV. 1st impression was that the color was a bit washed out but nothing that couldn't be fixed in the Nvidia control panel. My second was not a "WOW look, I can see that guys blackheads!" but rather, 1080p video was a pleasent step towards original film quality with the "digitalness" edge taken off. Ocasionally the 1080p spred its wings in Apple HD trailers like the disney film Cars. Here, the massive detail of landscapes was not interfered with by poor camera work or less than stellar optical equipment. What you will find, as is the case with all HD, is that some footage looks amazing and others look OK. It all depends on the equipent used, the people doing the work and how much it is compressed before it finally makes it too your screen.

HDTV:
I am currently using my computer as sort of a HTPC, using a Fusion HDTV 5 RT tunner card and Snapstream Media's "beyond TV" v4.3. Playback of both 720p and 1080i was stellar on this monitor however 1080i posed a new issue. The 1080 interlaced lines produced a significant "hair comb" effect when objects the the screen moved horizontally. This was annoying and was easily resolved by using the included (with Beyond TV) hardware accelerated deinterlacing that takes the interlaced images and puts them togather into a sort of fake 1080p image. The result was truely great. I could tell no difference between the native 1080p videos I had and the "upconverted" 1080i HDTV. Letterman has never looked so old! Seriously though I was very impressed with 1080i HDTV's quality when compared to 720p. Is it a huge difference? It depends on the quality of the video your watching but the extra resolution sure does make the image look natural, and occasionly much more detailed.

Games:
Well I havn't had much time to play though any games but I did load up Toca race Driver 3, Call of Duty 2, and HalfLife 2: Episode One. The biggest difference was noticed in the Toca 3, where the wide screen added to the sense of motion and speed and the resolution really added to the realizm. You tend to focus on distant objects in racing games and the high res made it that much more detailed and realistic. Half life 2 looked brilliant and really made the game more imersive. I actually wish I would have waited to play episode one though the 1st time with this screen as the 1280x1024 did it no justice. Callof duty 2 looked great as well and the screen seemed to make long range shots easier. Overall a perfect monitor for gaming. No lag was felt in the FPS's and no ghosting was seen in the racing sim.

Banding:
Yes it has vertical banding when viewing the pics on the dell forum. I have otherwise not noticed it and have not decided if I should except this flaw (like I said I'm picky). I just looked up those gradient images on a new dell 17" LCD (1707FP?) and saw no banding at all. That makes me a bit upset as we shouldn't have to accept this, on the other hand the monitor is relatively cheap.

Conclusion:

I'm so far very happy with my purchase and plan to keep it. I have not yet decided though, if the banding issue is somthing that I want in the back of my mind every time I look at a gradient with a few bands in it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some amazing macro shots to oogle at :p

Hey guys,

Thanks for any help in advance.

I just wanted to confirm some aspect issues.

I had the Gateway FPD2185w 21" widescreen and when you had a video input of 1400 x 1050 resolution, the monitor OSD let you choose the 1:1 aspect ratio with the black bars on the side.

Is it safe to say that the Dell 2407fpw can't do this unless you use the Nvidia control panel?

Thanks.

You can scale with black bars for most resolutions, just not 1600x1200 which would be the vertical native rez of the monitor.

If you run 1600x1200 you'll get black bars on the sides of the monitor, but not the bottom because as has already been mentioned it's the vertical max res of it.

And yes, only with nvidia :D

I'll let you know how it goes once my 7950GX2 gets here. :D

(Shipping to APO is so painful sometimes when you're impatient!)

Got my 2407WFP today and so far I am very pleased with it. ^^

Haven't done so much testing other than looking for dead pixels which it has zero of.
Now back to testing some games. :D

Gascogne said:
Got my 2407WFP today and so far I am very pleased with it. ^^

Haven't done so much testing other than looking for dead pixels which it has zero of.
Now back to testing some games. :D

Go enjoy some games man. While you're at it try out the different modes on the monitor.

winston856 said:
Go enjoy some games man. While you're at it try out the different modes on the monitor.

Tried the different modes, I prefer the desktop mode.
Multimedia mode - brighter than desktop mode
Game mode - brighter than Multimedia mode

Where can one find the vertical/horizontal banding test pictures?

Gascogne said:
Tried the different modes, I prefer the desktop mode.
Multimedia mode - brighter than desktop mode
Game mode - brighter than Multimedia mode

Where can one find the vertical/horizontal banding test pictures?

This is just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth...but IMHO, if yo don't notice the banding in every-day use (browsing the 'net, gaming, movies, etc.) then it's pointless for you, a consumer, to go out and use the banding test. It won't do you any good to look for banding...once you notice it in the test you'll find yourself looking for it in normal use...and once you start finding it in normal use, you won't be happy with your purchase (the extent of which depends on how picky you are.) So if you don't notice banding regularly, IMHO you're better off just letting it be and being happy with your monitor.

Daggah said:
This is just my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth...but IMHO, if yo don't notice the banding in every-day use (browsing the 'net, gaming, movies, etc.) then it's pointless for you, a consumer, to go out and use the banding test. It won't do you any good to look for banding...once you notice it in the test you'll find yourself looking for it in normal use...and once you start finding it in normal use, you won't be happy with your purchase (the extent of which depends on how picky you are.) So if you don't notice banding regularly, IMHO you're better off just letting it be and being happy with your monitor.

QFT.

That's exactly how I feel.

hi, does anybody get this stupid dvi icon in the upper left corner of their 2407, it comes on randomly and is definitely monitor generated. i cannot figure out how to disable this. it was not on my 2405..

please help!

it happens when the monitor changes between inputs or resolutions. i don't have a problem with it which is probably good because i'm not aware of a way to get rid of it.

Has anyone had sucess at mounting a 2407? I picked up to seperate sanus vesa 100 mounts today and neither worked. The mount on the back of the panel isn't large enough, eventhough the bolt pattern is correct.

Hi all, this is my first post here yay!!

I've been following this thread for a while when deciding to buy this monitor or not. I had to give out the monitor/TV I was using at work and I needed a replacement. Since I work with content protection stuff I needed a monitor that was HDCP compliant, handled 1080i/p and had many types of inputs. The Dell 2407 seemed to fit my needs. But I noticed in the comments that there is a lot of misinformation out there with respect to content protection schemes (in particular HDCP) and the capabilities of this monitor. Now that I have the monitor I wanted to post my findings here.

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection): the monitor fully supports HDCP over DVI. I know there's a log of a Dell rep saying otherwise but he/she is probably misinformed. HDCP only works over digital links (DVI, HDMI, etc) so don't think you can enable HDCP over component. To enable HDCP you need to have 3 things: an HDCP monitor, a video card that supports HDCP and has the crypto keys from DCP LLC (the ppl that make HDCP) and finally an HDCP capable OS, for Windows that means XP SP2 or later. Another mith is that HDCP degrades the quality of the image; far from it, the encryption/decryption process is lossless.

Connectors: I've tested S-Video, component, DVI and VGA. The output is always very nice with all of them with firmware A01. The scaler works very well and I haven't noticed any ghosting. The best quality is of course at native resolution (1920x1200) with DVI.

Features: I've tried the picture in picture and the picture by picture and both work as advertised. The downside is that not all the combinations are allowed. Asside from HDCP I've tested Macrovision and CGMS-A and all function well. These are used when watching DVD's over connectors other than DVI, HDMI or DVI.

I've got to say that after spending time with this monitor I've liked it so much that I've bought one for myself. At work I have an A01 but I home I received an A02 from Mexico. I've watched some 1080p content (trailers), DVD's (LOtR EE), games (FEAR and Q3) and it all looks good. As someone already mentioned here using driver utilities to divide the screen (nView grids) is simply awesome.

Alright, I better stop here. Take care all,
-Z

zerapio said:

I've been following this thread for a while when deciding to buy this monitor or not. I had to give out the monitor/TV I was using at work and I needed a replacement. Since I work with content protection stuff I needed a monitor that was HDCP compliant, handled 1080i/p and had many types of inputs. The Dell 2407 seemed to fit my needs. But I noticed in the comments that there is a lot of misinformation out there with respect to content protection schemes (in particular HDCP) and the capabilities of this monitor. Now that I have the monitor I wanted to post my findings here.

HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection): the monitor fully supports HDCP over DVI. I know there's a log of a Dell rep saying otherwise but he/she is probably misinformed. HDCP only works over digital links (DVI, HDMI, etc) so don't think you can enable HDCP over component. To enable HDCP you need to have 3 things: an HDCP monitor, a video card that supports HDCP and has the crypto keys from DCP LLC (the ppl that make HDCP) and finally an HDCP capable OS, for Windows that means XP SP2 or later. Another mith is that HDCP degrades the quality of the image; far from it, the encryption/decryption process is lossless.

Connectors: I've tested S-Video, component, DVI and VGA. The output is always very nice with all of them with firmware A01. The scaler works very well and I haven't noticed any ghosting. The best quality is of course at native resolution (1920x1200) with DVI.

Features: I've tried the picture in picture and the picture by picture and both work as advertised. The downside is that not all the combinations are allowed. Asside from HDCP I've tested Macrovision and CGMS-A and all function well. These are used when watching DVD's over connectors other than DVI, HDMI or DVI.

I've got to say that after spending time with this monitor I've liked it so much that I've bought one for myself. At work I have an A01 but I home I received an A02 from Mexico. I've watched some 1080p content (trailers), DVD's (LOtR EE), games (FEAR and Q3) and it all looks good. As someone already mentioned here using driver utilities to divide the screen (nView grids) is simply awesome.

-Z

Awesome post, thanks Z!

I just bought this monitor from eBay and will be getting it on Thursday or Friday. I can't wait!

I'm currently in the process of getting a refund for my 2407, I've had two replacements from dell, all A02 and all have the same banding issue. Its something any user can pickup on not just professionals... I'll probably give the Samsung 244T a go, reviews on it have been quite possitive and it only costs a little more now.

Daggah said:

I would agree if it was something you could ignore, but you can't, I see it as soon as my system starts up and I see the nod32 logo and my desktop background, its also blatant on the outlook background, websites and movies. I don't see how you can just ignore this.

Shocky said:
I would agree if it was something you could ignore, but you can't, I see it as soon as my system starts up and I see the nod32 logo and my desktop background, its also blatant on the outlook background, websites and movies. I don't see how you can just ignore this.

Not everyone notices it though...for example...I don't. I have yet to see any banding. For me, there's nothing to "just ignore."

Daggah said:
Not everyone notices it though...for example...I don't. I have yet to see any banding. For me, there's nothing to "just ignore."

Well I can only comment on the 4 2407 A02's i've received and the banding on all of them is blatant and something I could never ignore. :)

zerapio said:

-Z

if i'm not mistaken HDCP will downscale 1080p video only if the content has the content protection flag (which will not really be used for several years) But yes it won't degrade video.

How so it won't be used? Warner Brothers said they will use it. Also the article that states that says ICT won't come atleast until 2010 also speaks about HDMI in as it was HDCP, which iit's not. I wouldn't count much on arcticle like that one.

Besided, at least some hdtv-broadcasts don't show anything if you don't have HDCP, so that's even worse than having ICT-flag.

Dell 2407FPW (flat panel wide) review by Sluuut

30_inch_widescreen_flatpanel_l.jpg

Test material:
Experiences with other monitors: Unknown brand 15 "CRT, Iiyama 17" CRT, Iiyama 19 "CRT, 22" CRT, 19 "MVA, 19" Iiyama, 14 "notebook, 15.4" notebook. (Also i am using a AOC 17" at work but that doesnt really count because a 14" CRT is even better)
Hardware:
AMD X2 4200 + @ 2.5Ghz
Corsair Twin-X 2GB Dual channel CAS2
Sapphire ATi Radeon X1900XTX
2x Raptor 74GB Raid0
Logitech MX518 mouse & Logitech Ultra-X keyboard.

Storymode
There was i, with my dualscreen 19 (1x Iiyama Prolite 481S, IPS panel with 25ms responsetime and a acer AL922 with also 25ms responsetime, but then a MVA panel). A resolution of 2560x1024 together, but no widescreen. Because these are two different monitors and they are only 25ms and 19" i wanted some new ones, also because i like new hardware ;)

I was closely to buying 2x20 inch, because dualscreen pleased me.
The only thing is the resolution of 1280x1024 which kinda sucks for games.
You must of course optimally enjoy your X1900XTX and AMD X2 4200 + @ 2.5Ghz 2GB cas2 memory.

When I visited www.widescreengamingforum.com and saw the counter Strike Source different pictures, I turned all of a sudden to widescreen. You can not change the FOV (field of view) in CSS online in the game itself. It is a protection, people see it as cheating because you can see more around you.

But, if you buy a widescreen, you can select a widescreen resolution and the FOV will automaticly adjust to a higher value! So "cheating" with widescreen is allowed??
I have tried this out before buying a new monitor. I played some CSS on my 19" screen with a resolution of 1200x800, widescreen so to say. This resulted in better frag-rates and nicer gameplay!

Ofcourse, i would not only buy a new screen for Counter Strike Source. So when i looked for more to convince myself to go widescreen instead of dualscreen, i saw that there's also a thing called HDCP. This Dell and some other screens have support for it, which is good, because Windows Vista will use it in the future. And if you buy a new screen, you also want to be prepared for the future, right? At least i want to ;)

When i read a lot of reviews i enentually sorted out a lot and came to the conclusion that i wanted the ViewSonic vp231wb or the Apple Cinema Display or the Sony 243. All for about 1300 euro and all the same S-IPS panel. Apple has the best design but no OSD and the chance on having no screen in the BIOS/DOS/Safemode. Sony did very well in most reviews and also has a pretty nice design, but no adjustable feet. The ViewSonic has HDCP support and zero-dead-pixel warranty, but didnt do very good in reviews like Toms Hardware Guide, which stands high on my trustable reviewers list.

Then the 1400 euro is also pretty expensive. I wanted to go for the ViewSonic because i liked the design, it had all resolutions and HDCP support and zero dead pixel warranty.

It took me eventually two months (!) to find out what monitor i wanted to buy (yes, i'm kinda picky..hehe). So i wanted the ViewSonic. But then i read on another forum (gathering.tweakers.net, dutch and pretty professional forum) that S-IPS also has input lag. That post changed my thoughts.

I also made a thread on this forum and there were a lot of people who said i should but the Dell 2407FPW because it rox/owned/whatever. I am looking for facts and good arguments, not subjective stupid words, people. :p
Allthough i already read a lot of reviews about the Dell, it changed my mind to read some more and read them over again.

24_860-10023.jpg

Specs:
* Size and type of display device: 24-inch (61.0 cm) active matrix TFT
* Resolution: 1920 x 1200/WUXGA
* response time/brightness/contrast: 16 ms (black to white) or 6 ms (grey to grey)/450 cd/m2/1.000:1
* Dimension b x h x d: 585mm x 388mm (width/hight) x 560mm x 195mm
* Weight: 8.3 kilo
* Entrances: Analog DVI-D (digitally) with HDCP/s video/composite/component
* In altitude adjustable standard, sound: Yes/optional AS500 sound bar
* Compatibiliteit with Vesa-ophanging, safetyslot: Yes (100 mm)/yes
* Incorporated USB 2.0-hub with flow supplies, 9-in-2-cardreader: 4 downstream ports, 1 upstream port/CompactFlash type of I/ii-card, MicroDrive, smart medium card, Memory Stick-card, Memory stick Pro-card, Memory stick two-high rolling mill (with adapter), precise Digital-card, MultiMedia Card, mini precise Digital (with adapter)
* Guarantee: 3 years guarantee withnext business day response

Research:
Dell.com solt it for like 1050 euro's with discard. So i took a look on a second-hand website which is very well visited in the Netherlands, called marktplaats.nl It's like Ebay but for the dutchies. There i saw this guy who sold new ones for 850 euro's.. Well, i was impressed. It's 200 euros cheaper then online from Dell. So i mailed this guy about some stuff, where he lived, if he had zero dead pixel warranty etc. And he had. Not far from about 24 hours later i decided to buy this beast.

I went to his place by train with a friend and picked it up. He already tested it on dead pixels and an even screen for me. So i went back with the train and trained my arms somewhat while walking back to my house for 20 minutes (its still 9 kilos!).

First impression/packing
Arriving at home i slapped the old monitors off my desk. :p While opening the Dell box, i was suprised. DAMN!! I knew it was big, but this is really larger than that I had expected. How was this thing packed? Very good like a monitor should, so it can't be damaged because of travelling.

When i grabbed the screen out of the box, it seems the panel inside the screen was a little loose. It could move like a half cm from in the screen.. This didnt look right, but when i attached the screen to the feet, it was very stable and the panel inside couldn't be moved (at least not easily). The feet was rather large. Much larger then my old 19" feets, but not disturbingly large. Ofcourse it also has to keep up a 24 inch screen instead of a 19".

attach_stand.jpg

The two cables in the back can be sticked through a hole in the feet of the monitor so you don't see the cables if you are in front of your desk;

cable_holder.gif

Then i sat at my desk, almost forgot to turn on my computer. The POST came by. Wow, very huge.. Even a person with extremely large glasses could put these of and still read everything. :p The Windows XP logo appears.. once again, it's big.

When filling in my password and booting up XP, the first thing i did was changing the resolution to the native one, 1920x1200. Nice, pretty much desktop space. Not so less then 2560x1024 which i used to had. My friend said the screen was a little unstraight.. What i mean with this is that the screen itself is about 0,5cm higher on the right side then on the left side. I didnt see this so much, but i put a little paper under the right of the feet to adjust it to the right height on both sides. I blame this fault on the pivot mode, because i have seen more screens that had the same problem also because of the pivot function.

Another user on the tweakers forum had the same fault and called Dell about it. They came by the next day and replaced the feet, so that's good service. I won't call Dell because i think it's fine right now.

Then i tested some dvdr...

Movies: Fantastic picture, beautiful colours and simply very large. Then tried some XviD.. What an ugliness deluxe!! on my 19 " it looked pretty okay, but on 24" it is too large and you will notice the compression. But i use my Philips television for watching movies anyways, so i don't realy care.

There seems to be a little tearing while watching movies, but i don't know for sure if this is the screen or something else. There are no visible pixels "hanging" when watching movies , it seems they just refresh all the time.

Nevertheless, DVD also seems encrypted on this huge screen. Maybe this is because it aren't DVDs but DVDR's if you know what i mean (dvd5). So i downloaded some HD videos from microsoft.com and they looked fabulous. Also, DVD quality depends on more then just the screen you watch it on. For instance, the camera's used while filming and all kinds of technologies used to "smoothen" the DVD quality.

Then i tested for backlight leakage. I filled the whole screen with black as black can be, and i saw no blacklight leakage, not even a little. My old Iiyama 19" had a lot of backlight leakage compared to this one. Also, after about an hour playing with this monitor, i checked if my laptop was at full brightness cause i thought it wasn't.. Guess what? It was. It does mean the Dell has extremely nice contrast for my eyes, and not to much, it is not anoying or hurting. My laptop has an Asus Crystal Clear screen by the way, and i considerd it having very nice brightness & contrast. But the Dell manages to push it further.

White;

dell013_resize.jpg

The stupid thing is that my digital camera totaly sucks. In real life, it was realy realy white and all over the screen even white. On the picture, it seems a little not-white and not even enough.

Black;

dell020_resize.jpg

No backlight leakage and black is realy beautiful clearly even black.

Gaming & input lag:
Hey wait, what about input lag? I forgot about it and now when i thought about it i was instantly very happy. Why? Because i didn't even notice the input lag since i tried this monitor for like an hour or so. Let's move around with the mouse.. it tracks instantly on the screen, no input lag noticable there. I did a lot of serious gaming in the past, like Quake1 for instance, so i consider myself being a pro gamer since i won a lot online against other progamers. Nevertheless, let's test Counter Strike Source, my favourite game at the time.

First thing i did was chaning the resolution to 1920x1200 with 2xAA + Temporal AA = 4xAA and 16x. Then connecting to a random server.. Damn again, what a pretty screen! That resolution is really superb, i can see all the little details with this resolution! Some hours ago i played CSS at a friend, which has a 15" tft screen. I played so badly, i had like a score of 2-10. Mostly because i didnt see shit with 1024x768. But at this 24" beast, i can see if its a terror or cop from the most insane distance in any map.

The other good thing was that my x1900xtx liked it. I got 60 frames per second all the time. CSS is a completely new experience on this monitor ;) I started with 0-0, then got 4-0 but then got killed. It went up to 7-1 and finally finished with 11-4. I noticed a tiny bit input lag in one move. It was when i moved the mouse 180 degrees. I found that the screen was falling behind for somewhat like 10 miliseconds. But i have to say i didnt notice it anymore since i played more CSS, and i played it for some hours now.

But about input lag, you can also see it this way: Or you buy a nice 20" screen without noticable input lag, or you buy a 24" wonderfull screen and have a tiny little chance on noticing input lag. Maybe it's different from screen to screen, because i was really affraid to notice it. Though i did not. There isn't a better choice yet. If you want to buy a tft screen without input lag, you'de have to go with a screen without overdrive (a normal *VA/IPS/TN) but then you have the chance of ghosting and that sux even more in my opinion.

Ghosting? did not notice any ghosting up to now, 2 days later. But i have to say i was using a Iiyama 25ms IPS screen and barely noticed ghosting on that one. But i did notice it on my PVA screen a lot. I think the old IPS screen had like at least 8ms ghosting and at most 25ms. I think this screen uses ghosting for advertisement and it's really about 20ms. I saw some reviewsa bout this panel that said it was about 23ms at worst. So i don't really care as long as i dont see it. I played a lot of games and didn't notice ghosting on it: FarCry, CSS, GTR2, Richard Burns Rally, Colin McRae 2005, C&C Zero Hour, NFS Most Wanted, Microsoft Flight Sim 2004, Cars (damn that game sux) and Call of Duty 2.

Counter Strike Source with a score of 11-4:

css_resize.jpg

I also played a game that didn't have widescreen support; Command & Conquer : Zero Hour. I must say that it's playable but not as it was on my old 5:4 screen. I may just have to get used to it.

Calibration:
I read a lot about calibrating the monitors on this forum. I read it could make a world of difference. So i searched a little with our good friend google and found a website with a simple calibration tool. I left this screen below uncompressed bitmap on purpose because jpeg gets to much compressed and looses color.

color_calibration.bmp

The upper row are the colors the monitor displayed, the lower colors are the on most realistic for the humen eye. For me, the colors out of the box are fantastic. I find them even more beatifull the next day i return from work and sit behind my beast again. Maybe i'll calibrate it later on in my holliday or some day i have time for it.

Pictures: What is thread without pics? Exactly, worthless :D

Unfortunately i only own a bad ass camera called Canon Powershot A70. I think they should called it Canon Thiscameradoesntdoprettygoodshots A70...

The notebook on the pictures is an Asus A6000 with a Crystal Clear screen.

dell010_resize.jpg

The side;

dell027_resize.jpg

Windows XP professional inc SP2, several schermpjes beside each other;

dell014_resize.jpg

Pros:
- Huge! 1920x1200 rox!
- Beautiful colors default out of the box
- Beautiful brightness/contrast default box (50% brightness, contrast is not manageable if you connect it to DVI, it is on D-SUB though)
- OSD is easily to manage (and also gradient)
- No dead pixels (however they were checked by the reseller before i bought it so it doesn't really count)
- No noticeable backlight leakage
- White is as how white should be and black is as black as black should be :p
- Colours are almost-perfect default, out of the box
- Doesn't become extremely hot (but somewhat hot on the top though)
- Design is very nice. It doesn't beat the apple but it sure looks nice. Taste ofcourse still is personal. You might not like it :p
- Pivot possibilities (allthough i don't use it)
- HDCP ready, but keep in mind that only one of the three modusses are possible to use!
- 3 years next busines day onsite warranty
- Fast responsetime, no visible ghosting (for me at least)
- USB & Cardreader
- Many inputs (component, s video - Very sharp images, text is not too small and not too large (personal..) but just good readable.

Cons:
- Panel is not 100% fastent to the screen (can be moved some milimeters)
- OSD buttons would be better if they were touch-sensitive like the Sony/Apple.
- Green leds, better get blue ones Dell!
- Maybe a little bit input lag (depends from person to person and maybe even screen to screen)
- Support of Dell on the Internet site is not what it would have being, between the drivers stands there none for 2407FPW therefore that I of the FTP has had download (I is too lazy catch the CD..)
- The manual says: Operating Temperature: 5° to 35°C (41° to 95°F).. Some days ago it was 36 degrees in the Netherlands! Should it explode when i turn the monitor on with this weahter?
- If you more the monitor it will "aftershock" some seconds. For instance when you use the OSD buttons.
- Important to photoshoppers: The black is not the same black in the middle than it is on the sides. if you move your head to the left or right you will notice it changing. I do not find this irritating though. Just thought you should know.

The disadvantages do not really matter for me, maybe it does for a super-pro-gamer (input lag) or a photoshopper (you might be better off with the samsung 24")

Rating:
Design: 9
Gaming: 8.5
Movies: 8.5
Photoshop: 8
office-work: 9.5
Downscaling: 8
Overall: 8.6

Notes:
I am a very critical boy, i don't like stuff if they have a little disadvantage and woulnd't buy the Sony just for the fact it isn't height adjustable. But not only on monitor, on all sorts of stuff. I am not some kind of old retarded guy that likes his bought monitor just because he bought it. I like it because is't good and has a lot of Pros.

So, that's the long story, i hope this review helps you in your chioce!

thehum said:
if i'm not mistaken HDCP will downscale 1080p video only if the content has the content protection flag (which will not really be used for several years) But yes it won't degrade video.

No thehum, HDCP doesn't downscale the video; that's another misconception. HDCP sole function is to authenticate transmitters (video cards) and receivers (displays) and make sure that they are both valid devices. IF they are both valid then images can be sent encrypted through the link. That's it, no more, no less.

I think the confusion is caused by blue laser DVD specs and vista requirements. Both blue-ray and HD-DVD require HDCP on links that support it (DVI and HDMI). Promoters of both specs have said that they will temporarily drop the requirement but eventually HDCP WILL be used. Vista has a new system for managing protection where the content rather than the app dictates which protection mechanisms are enabled: Macrovision and CGMS-A for analog connections and HDCP for digital. If the content so requires it the OS will constrict the content to match the number of requested pixels. This is independent of the protection mechanisms used, they may or may not be enabled after the constriction.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Z

Hi, can anyone tell me what are the dimensions of the shipping box for this monitor? Dell support doesn't have that info...

Lack said:
Hi, can anyone tell me what are the dimensions of the shipping box for this monitor? Dell support doesn't have that info...

Box measures: 65x26x50cm (roughly 26x10.5x19.5 inches)

Sluuut said:
Calibration:
I read a lot about calibrating the monitors on this forum. I read it could make a world of difference. So i searched a little with our good friend google and found a website with a simple calibration tool. I left this screen below uncompressed bitmap on purpose because jpeg gets to much compressed and looses color.

color_calibration.bmp
An EXCELLENT review ... thank you Sluut!

Any chance you can post the link for the calibration program you refer to?

Thanks!

Hello,

I have my 2407 since last week and immediately connected my PS2 through composite to it, but found out that the quality is horrible. It really looks washed out en way to over satturated. I tried to connect it through component (i have a ps2-component-cable) but it didn't work, my 2407 says that there is no incomming signal. So my question right now is what do i do? I know quite sure that the component cable is not defect, so that shouldn't be the problem, but what is? :(

I'm getting some what conflicting reports on the 2407. Is the banding issue really solved with the desktop mode?

Back