Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

I t hink i've read the whole thread and i can't find any pictures of an xbox 360 running at 1080i through component. Any out there? :confused:

No idea... I don't think anybody has an idea about it, since there are no rumors on the internet about it.

But, I'm very sure that there will be much better LCD's out there soon within a year or two... especially concerned with the refresh rates.

Response time has been way over-rated for some time now, even after it became basically as good as that of CRT's. Ghosting was no longer a serious problem, and I have yet to notice any ghosting on my Dell 2405FPW.

It's interesting how so many people complained about the ghosting, but NOBODY complained about the LOW maximum of only 60 Hz refresh rate.

60 Hz refresh rate SUCKS, man!!! It sucks wayyyy down to the devilish hell, to the devil's whores, man! It just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm.. maybe but after would be more likely. Next year, most cheap 24-inchers like this one should be around $400, where the 20-inchers are at now.

We just need a killer 24-incher that will destroy all others at under $1000.

kimnkk said:
I t hink i've read the whole thread and i can't find any pictures of an xbox 360 running at 1080i through component. Any out there? :confused:

1080i has got this annoying flicker. It's slight but you can notice it so I just stick with 720p as it's still sharp but no flicker.

Bo_Fox said:
60 Hz refresh rate SUCKS, man!!! It sucks wayyyy down to the devilish hell, to the devil's whores, man! It just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

refresh rate for LCDs doesn't really matter.

Just received my A03 (Mexico). Planning to hook up my X360 to it.

Is vga cable still the way to go? Any difference between MS branded and 3rd party?

chew63 said:
refresh rate for LCDs doesn't really matter.

It matters the whole-wide-world to me! It matters very much to Jonathan Fatal1ty Wendel.. ask him.

Well, the banding problem seems to be because the images and programs played a major part.

http://members.iinet.com.au/~kimnkk/Gradient Tests/

Try the .jpg and you will see some light banding, but if you try the .png and .psd (if you have photoshop) there will be absolutely no banding. This is on the A02. There probably will be even no banding on the .jpg for the A03! At least we know why some people report banding on the A02 while others say it is perfect.

Hi, I used to have two 2407WFP side by side both connected through DVI and displaying the same gradient test image. The A02 revision was displaying banding while the A03 was smooth.

If im looking at a 1080 movie, will it stretch it out to 1200 or will it keep the aspect as it should be?

Can anyone do me a favor and take a pic of the monitor at an extreme angles on both sides? I'd love to see that. It would be nice if you were also viewing this forum.

kimnkk said:
Well, the banding problem seems to be because the images and programs played a major part.

http://members.iinet.com.au/~kimnkk/Gradient Tests/

Try the .jpg and you will see some light banding, but if you try the .png and .psd (if you have photoshop) there will be absolutely no banding. This is on the A02. There probably will be even no banding on the .jpg for the A03! At least we know why some people report banding on the A02 while others say it is perfect.

If there is a difference bewteen JPG and the other file formats, it's obviously because the JPG file is compressed.. .jpg is always compressed! So, along with compression comes banding. That's why you didn't see any banding on the .png and .psd.

damp81 said:
If im looking at a 1080 movie, will it stretch it out to 1200 or will it keep the aspect as it should be?

If you've set the monitor to Aspect scaling then:

1080i via Component - YES
1080i via VGA - NO (doesn't scale even when monitor set to aspect scaling. seems to be a known bug)
1080i via DVI - UNKNOWN (don't have a video card that can output at that resolution)

I aint buying the 2407.. NO WAY! I'm happy with my 2405 for now, and will get a better one when it comes out hopefully before next year.

2405FPW vs 2407WFP A03
- 2407 has better viewing angles
- 2407 has better respond time
- 2407 has much less input lag
- 2407 looks nicer (but this is a matter of taste)
- 2407 has HDCP with 480p and 720p while 2405 is not HDCP
- 2407 has generally better uniformity (but this varies by unit)
- 2407 components input is defective at 720p and 1080i. This was not a problem with 2405

Therefore, for PC gaming the 2407 is a significant improvement over the 2405.
For XBOX 360 and PS3 gaming, the 2407 is a step backward compared to its predecessor.

RadXge said:
2405FPW vs 2407WFP A03
- 2407 components input is defective at 720p and 1080i. This was not a problem with 2405

For XBOX 360 and PS3 gaming, the 2407 is a step backward compared to its predecessor.

How about for just hooking up an hd-dvd player or an hd cable box to the components?

RadXge said:
2405FPW vs 2407WFP A03

Viewing angles.. yeah, slightly.. I like.

Response time.. on Dell's paper, yes, but... in real life.. NO.

2405 has a better, more sturdy base. Looks nicer is your taste, and the 2405 looks better to me.

Much less input lag? Nope. It's an average of 35ms while on the 2405, it's 55ms average. 35ms is still horrible.

The 2405 is great for circumventing HDCP by using the component inputs, which are not defective on the 2405. Who needs HDCP yet, anyway?!?

The trade-off's do not make it a significant improvement for the PC. The color banding on the 2047 is a side-effect of making the input lag less severe while maintaining the response time (limitations of Overdrive). Some might consider it a *slight* improvement. This slight overall improvement does not make my time upgrading my 2405 to 2407 worthwhile.

unimatrixzer0 said:
How about for just hooking up and hd-dvd player or an hd cable box to the components?

Oh yeah, but component sucks on 2407's while it's perfect on 2405's...

I wonder why??? Maybe it's to keep people from using component to bypass HDCP?? Maybe it's a requirement that Dell had to implement (by impairing the component input quality) before including HDCP on 2407's. Otherwise, Dell should have fixed it by revision A01 or A02!

A discriminating mind can figure out a lot of things on its own.

Well that sucks. If the component inputs are defective that right there kills my plans on replacing my Dell 2005WFP. Mostly wanted to upgrade so I could hook my cable box to it and watch Heroes in HD.

I am not suggesting to replace the 2405 by the 2407 but...

1) The 2407WFP Respond time IS better in real life. There is the proof:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

2) Hum... 35ms vs 55ms is still an interesting improvement. I personally felt the input lag wit the 2405 but not with with the 2407.
I suggest the following article for more details regarding the input lag.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html
In short, using vertical sync and/or a wireless mouse also add input lag.

3) The 2407 A03 revision does not display banding. Dell first sent me the A02 revision and it had vertical banding. This has been validated on the Dell forum even if Dell does not acknowledge it.
So saying that "the color banding on the 2047 is a side-effect of making the input lag less severe" is BS.

Therefore, the 2407 A03 represents a significant improvement IF you do not need the components input.
Another weakness of the 2407 is that 1600*1200 is stretched by the monitor unless a NVIDIA video card is used. This is annoying for all the ATI users...

So for all of us that use our monitors for playing our XBOX 360 with the VGA adapter what does this mean? Can we do 1080p? Sharper picture?

RadXge said:
I am not suggesting to replace the 2405 by the 2407 but...

1) The 2407WFP Respond time IS better in real life. There is the proof:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

2) Hum... 35ms vs 55ms is still an interesting improvement. I personally felt the input lag wit the 2405 but not with with the 2407.
I suggest the following article for more details regarding the input lag.
http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html
In short, using vertical sync and/or a wireless mouse also add input lag.

3) The 2407 A03 revision does not display banding. Dell first sent me the A02 revision and it had vertical banding. This has been validated on the Dell forum even if Dell does not acknowledge it.
So saying that "the color banding on the 2047 is a side-effect of making the input lag less severe" is BS.

Therefore, the 2407 A03 represents a significant improvement IF you do not need the components input.
Another weakness of the 2407 is that 1600*1200 is stretched by the monitor unless a NVIDIA video card is used. This is annoying for all the ATI users...

Thanks for the reply, but sometimes your attitude is just disgusting (especially when you say "BS".

The color banding *is* a side-effect of this: "However, the 2405’s 12ms G2G response time has been boosted to 6ms G2G thanks to a heavier dose of Samsung’s MagicSpeed RTC application." , quoted from the link you just gave me.

In Rev. A03, it is crippled in Desktop mode, so that's why color banding is no longer seen. However, there is still severe banding seen in Gaming and Movie modes (due to that Magicspeed RTC application, or in other words, Overdrive which we hate more than like).

So, you have only one option, and that is to keep it in Desktop mode at all times on your A03 revision. Although it is very unlikely that your eyes can tell the difference, I am not saying that there is ZERO chance that you might notice that the response time in Desktop mode is now slower than in Gaming or Movie modes. Anyway, I think that the 2405's response time is good enough for me. I've never noticed any ghosting unlike with so many LCD's in the past. It's definitely good enough for only 60Hz, so what's the point with better response time that looks better (only) on paper anyway?

There you go, smartie pants (aren't we all?).

Right, the 2405 works with ATI cards perfectly fine at 1600x1200 with a proper 1:1 aspect ratio, unlike the 2407 (unfortunately for the 2407).

Bo_Fox said:
Oh yeah, but component sucks on 2407's while it's perfect on 2405's...

I wonder why??? Maybe it's to keep people from using component to bypass HDCP?? Maybe it's a requirement that Dell had to implement (by impairing the component input quality) before including HDCP on 2407's. Otherwise, Dell should have fixed it by revision A01 or A02!

A discriminating mind can figure out a lot of things on its own.

Notice how 480p is perfectly fine? Nobody wants to bypass HDCP using 480p, if ya feel me.

If 720p and even 1080i worked just fine for the 2405, it's absolutely NO excuse for the engineers to cripple it on the 2407.

Bo_Fox said:
In Rev. A03, it is crippled in Desktop mode, so that's why color banding is no longer seen. However, there is still severe banding seen in Gaming and Movie modes (due to that Magicspeed RTC application, or in other words, Overdrive which we hate more than like).

Do you have any proof that the overdrive is disabled in desktop mode or is that complete speculation?

Update for everyone:

The 2407WFP is UNABLE to scale 1920x1080 to the correct 16:9 resolution (black bars on the top and bottom) with the new Xbox 360 fall update that came out today via VGA cable. I have both and the ratio options are greyed out. VERY disappointed that I have to use the 360's new 1080p capabilities in a stretched-to-16:10 mode.

I tried it out this morning. I don't think the stretching is so bad. The picture does look better in 1920 x 1080. I can't wait to get home and try the component cable to see if it might look better now with the update.

you know what, youre right. the stretching isnt as bad compared to 1280x720 because with 1080 pixels, the stretching is less aparent...it actually looks kind of normal. :p

plus, were only stretching what, 120 pixels? it looks great :D

1080p looks great on the 360!!!!

Can you post pics of what it looks like in 1080p vs 720p? I heard about vertical lines appearing and I wanted to see if that was a major issue. I just ordered a 2407 so I'm kind of worried about that.

paul_mendoza said:
Can you post pics of what it looks like in 1080p vs 720p? I heard about vertical lines appearing and I wanted to see if that was a major issue. I just ordered a 2407 so I'm kind of worried about that.

No verticle lines.. I'll double check when i get home and post some pictures as well.

The image quality difference of going up to 1080p over the vga cable isn't that apparent... At least to my eyes. And it certainly doesn't outweigh the fact that it won't do a fixed aspect scale at that resolution. To each his own, I guess.

So what about the DVI connection?

Will that scale 1080p signals to 16:10, as well? I thought vissione's post earlier in the thread proved the 2407 can display 1080p at its proper 1:1 aspect ratio, at least through the DVI port?

Why does this have to be so confusing...

Back