Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

If money is a problem and you take the BenQ out of the 24"LCD picture, Are the Dell and Gateway 24incers the same or is there somthing better with one or the other (inputs, better panel or somthing)? Do they even use the same panel's ?

From my research, BenQ sits at the #1 spot for the 24" and then 2407 gets the second......the others appear to have more issues apart from lag, etc.

The people that are ordering sub Feb should be getting A04 without a question ....but I also claimed interest rates going down this month:D

Hope this helps
Frag

Just bought one on ebay for $600 shipped. It is A03. It is replacing two Dell 19" LCD's so this should save some space and clean up my desk appearance. At work, I have a 3007 and it's HUGE. It might be nice to take it down a notch.

Hi, I got a fews question on the Dell 2407WFP. I bought a Rev03 and return it due to color being a bit wash, a little backlight bleed, and a small buzzing noise from the monitor.

1.) Has it confirm that this is a true 8-Bits panels? A lot of people saying it's a 6bits with some interlace make it 8 bits.

2.) Has the green trail been fix yet? I own one before where dragging a window through light background such as white result in green trail.

3.) How do I get the sound out of this monitor for PIP mode?

I hope someone can answer my question. Thanks!

From my research, BenQ sits at the #1 spot for the 24" and then 2407 gets the second......the others appear to have more issues apart from lag, etc.

The people that are ordering sub Feb should be getting A04 without a question ....but I also claimed interest rates going down this month:D

Hope this helps
Frag
If you live in europe i'd say the 2407 comes first if you look at overall performance and price/quality. The Benq is better overall but really aint worth the extra 300 euros imo. Thats my conclusion anyways after looking for a good 24" for 3 months. The Benq was on top of my list for most of that time. I had 1k to spend on upgrades this year so eventually i chose the 2407 and save 300 euro for a new vid card later this year.

Anyways. I have a 2407 (REV04) for about a month now and am very happy with it. No complaints at all. The only thing i wasn't really happy about is the blacks in movies. My old Relisys 17" TN panel gives about the same blacks, while my 15.4" from my laptop shows ALOT better blacks (with only 600:1 contrast if I remember correctly). But at least i get no backlight bleeding whatsoever with my 2407. The laptop screen does give some. I tried tweaking the settings for the 2407 but whatever I do i can't get better blacks. Luckily I am not a fan of horror movies. I gues i'll get used to it eventually.

I bought an HDMI-to-DVI cable today for the PS3 and it does work on the 2407. I actually tried all the resolutions and it seems that...

1. If you select automatic it automatically goes to 1080p.
2. It can't do 1080i as I just get an out of range message...possibly because it's interlaced.

You can set it to 720p and it'll look good, better than component and no issues with overscan much like the 360 over VGA. I've seen DVI splitter cables and I was wondering if you can get one of those and hook up my PC and PS3 through the 1 DVI port on the monitor?

I bought an HDMI-to-DVI cable today for the PS3 and it does work on the 2407. I actually tried all the resolutions and it seems that...

1. If you select automatic it automatically goes to 1080p.
2. It can't do 1080i as I just get an out of range message...possibly because it's interlaced.

You can set it to 720p and it'll look good, better than component and no issues with overscan much like the 360 over VGA. I've seen DVI splitter cables and I was wondering if you can get one of those and hook up my PC and PS3 through the 1 DVI port on the monitor?

Do you have a A04 2407? How does the PS3 look on the 2407?

Do you have a A04 2407? How does the PS3 look on the 2407?

I have an A02 so if you have an A04 you can probably scale 1080p while I have to resort to 720p because it can't scale 1080p properly. I was actually testing to see how the PS3 would look on the 2407 over DVI and it looks better than component: more sharper, no overscan (basically the same reasons for having the 360 on VGA). I'm considering looking into a DVI switch so I can use the PS3 and PC over DVI.

Hey everyone, thanks for this great post....lost of great details....here is what I am asking.
I am thinking on this monitor or the gateway 24". Questions.....

I will be using the screen for two things only....computer DVI and PS3 component.
--- for those who have used this screen with a PS3 how good/bad is the display using component??
--- has anyone be able to compare the gateway and dell side-by-side? A friend down the hall has the gateway but he has horrible white blooms on the corners of his screen, and a yellow line down the left side (not really noticeable)...still has me rethinking the gateway

-- I know the gateway will do 1080p, but that is only via the DVI input and since it has only one, and I want to use that for my PC, that really eliminates that feature on the gateway for me.

What do you guys think? For my needs being about 70% PC 30% PS3 gaming, would the Dell be the best way to go?
Also, what's new on the way? Anyway know? I know that June is a month that Dell likes to bring out new products, could we see a newer 24" with HDMI inputs??

Thanks....

Hey everyone, thanks for this great post....lost of great details....here is what I am asking.
I am thinking on this monitor or the gateway 24". Questions.....

I will be using the screen for two things only....computer DVI and PS3 component.
--- for those who have used this screen with a PS3 how good/bad is the display using component??
--- has anyone be able to compare the gateway and dell side-by-side? A friend down the hall has the gateway but he has horrible white blooms on the corners of his screen, and a yellow line down the left side (not really noticeable)...still has me rethinking the gateway

-- I know the gateway will do 1080p, but that is only via the DVI input and since it has only one, and I want to use that for my PC, that really eliminates that feature on the gateway for me.

What do you guys think? For my needs being about 70% PC 30% PS3 gaming, would the Dell be the best way to go?
Also, what's new on the way? Anyway know? I know that June is a month that Dell likes to bring out new products, could we see a newer 24" with HDMI inputs??

Thanks....

BenQ FP241W or FP241WZ will suit your needs a bit better.

With taxes and delivery ?? If so I would go with the 2407 A04.

Exactly both the Dell and the Gateway are close in price which is why I was considering them....I know that they will most likely be simular for the PC side, but I was concerned with how they perform via component cables and the PS3 and which one is better....no 1080P needed on the PS3.

My only question is. How is gaming with the 6ms response time? I play mostly online FPS as BF2 and CS . Im considering buying this monitor mostly because
1) its a Dell.
2) 24"
3) Great reviews

So its either this or Im thinking on going towards the Sammy 226(22") 206(20") due to the 2ms response time. and great reviews on gaming aspect .
Ty
Michal

my new baby:

2005116336975569827_rs.jpg

here with my old 17' samsung 173P (black and whites overall colors are superior on DELL than this sammy)

2005121537639527681_rs.jpg

I loved the screen so much that same day I got this one I ordered another one :)

You guys crack me up that just buy a second monitor on an impulse. All of you must be
single. My wife won't let buy one (currently anyway) let alone a second one. Even though
I'm jealous, I hope you still enjoy. ;)

C Snyder

edit: added emoticon

You guys crack me up that just buy a second monitor on an impulse. All of you must be
single. My wife won't let buy one (currently anyway) let alone a second one. Even though
I'm jealous, I hope you still enjoy.

C Snyder

Uh no. Not everyone that has a second LCD is single. People don't buy a second LCD out of impulse.

Please don't let your jealousy guide you to make inappropriate statements.

well nothing comes easy :) my way monitor world looked like that. year 87 green screen Unitra monitor 14" :). Year around 95 I think or maybe a bit earlier (I was 15 so not quite remmeber) I got 15" Nokia CRT like this one: http://www.levnybazar.cz/img/750.jpg. Year 2001 or so I got Samsung CRT 19". 2005 bought 17" Sasmung LCD. And now 2008 Those two 24" Dells. Basicaly at work I got two monitor setup (2x17" HP LCD) and it's so comfortable to work with two monitors (I'm doing 3d, 2d work). Well some people drink or smoke or spend amoney on junk food. I don't so I got something that makes my life easier and my eyes healthier. If my girlfriend wouldn't understand that...well I guess it would be sign to change girlfriend ;). Women buy cosmetics, perfumes, jewelry, men buy TOYS ;). Let's say women spent a month on her cosmetics etc around 75$. So it's 12x75 = 900$ a year after year after year and still buying it every year. And how often did I changed monitors? For those two I payed a bit more than her year budget on cosmetics and will use those much longer than another 2 or more years. It's simple as that.

just got the monitor
it's sooo lovely
no DP/BPs, even backlighting, no banding
what more can i ask for?

one 'minor' issue though: when i play warcraft3 (in 1600x1200 1:1) and alt tab back out to windows (1920x1200), my speakers give a 'pop' sound
anyone knows why that's the case?

just got the monitor
it's sooo lovely
no DP/BPs, even backlighting, no banding
what more can i ask for?

one 'minor' issue though: when i play warcraft3 (in 1600x1200 1:1) and alt tab back out to windows (1920x1200), my speakers give a 'pop' sound
anyone knows why that's the case?

That's sound card issue. I play Warcraft 3 in 1600x1200 1:1 and alt-tab all the time and I didn't heard any noise.

I would love to buy this monitor but do I have to upgrade my video card? I'm not a gamer so my main purpose for the monitor would be Excel,Word and some novice Photoshop Elements 5 work. These are my system specs:

Dimension 4700 Dell
Pentium 4 Processor HT Technology
(3.00 GHz, 800 FSB)
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400 MZx (2X512M)
128MB PCI Express x16(DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
80 GB (7200RPM)
Maxtor External 100 GB Hard Drive
XP Home Edition
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/RW) w/double layer write capability
Integrated Intel PRO 10/100 Ethernet
56K PCI Telephony Modem
Digital Music- 30 Watt Stereo Spks w/Subwoofer, Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
19” Ultra Sharp Flat Screen Monitor
Intel(R) 537EP V9x DFV PCI Modem
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
DSL connection by AT&T

Thank you!

"I loved the screen so much that same day I got this one I ordered another one"

Tell me how this statement doesn't sound like an impulse decision. Besides, my post was
not directed to you. It was directed to the folks that make statements in various forums
similar to what I just quoted. You very well may work with applications that require the use
of a second 24" screen, or you just might have it for the hell of it, regardless my comment was
somewhat tongue-in-cheek and was not meant to be taken seriously.

C Snyder

Uh no. Not everyone that has a second LCD is single. People don't buy a second LCD out of impulse.

Please don't let your jealousy guide you to make inappropriate statements.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the stand base, and also would it be ok to stack one of these on top of an xbox 360?

I called my local Dell support centre (or center) for a replacement to an A04 revision and so far it looks promising. If I get an A04 revision it means I can watch my HD-DVDs, play my 360 games in 1080p as well as blu-ray movies at 1080p with scaling.

big_kel, was something wrong with your current monitor that you asked for a replacement? I'm asking cause I got the A03 revision and would love to get an A04 from dell if I could simply "trade" it by getting a replacement.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the stand base, and also would it be ok to stack one of these on top of an xbox 360?

You probably can, I will check when I get home tonight. However I warn you, the 360 is so loud I had to move it far away from my desktop just to hear the sound.

My opinion is to try to set up your 360 in a place where you can access the tray but won't be annoying loud.

"I loved the screen so much that same day I got this one I ordered another one"

Tell me how this statement doesn't sound like an impulse decision. Besides, my post was
not directed to you. It was directed to the folks that make statements in various forums
similar to what I just quoted. You very well may work with applications that require the use
of a second 24" screen, or you just might have it for the hell of it, regardless my comment was
somewhat tongue-in-cheek and was not meant to be taken seriously.

C Snyder

I stand by what I said. You were not clear in who you were targeting with that statement. It's no big deal, but nonetheless, it's annoying having to read it as I scroll down the page and check out the comments. Perhaps some people do buy it out of impulse, but I can assure you that I don't.

big_kel, was something wrong with your current monitor that you asked for a replacement? I'm asking cause I got the A03 revision and would love to get an A04 from dell if I could simply "trade" it by getting a replacement.

Just say you have color banding issues. LOL I did and I specifically asked for an A04 revision. I particularly want an A04 revision so I can watch my HD movie discs (be it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) at 1080p through DVI and VGA and be properly scaled to the correct aspect ratio....DAMN I love HD-DVDs.

I'm waiting for a call from the courier to receive my replacement.

mines is an (A02) and it can't scale 1080p properly. I also have slight banding issues as well but unnoticeable in everyday use. I can only see it when dealing with photoshop and working with color gradients. no big deal

Im about to call dell to see if i can get it exachanged for an A04 as i've heard many ppl having success with that. I just need some help

can somebody list all the improvements and fixes from A03,A04 over the A02 so I can have a compelling argument and sound like I really need an exchange to the dell rep?

thanks in advance

Please,
can anybody take a picture of service menu in rev03 (V1B20/HN208)?
I need to compare and take changes back, because there is no "reset to defaults" :(
Thanks.

One month of ownership and loving it so far......360 games look awesome at 1080p.

Got one question though....For my 360 via VGA, I manually have to decrease the sharpness to 30 each time when I power on the monitor. Is there a way to make the settings stick for each input?

Thx
Frag
PS At the default sharpness, due to scaling (games are 720p) being done , the irregularities become obvious BUT decreasing the sharpness to 30, it fixes it totally.

One month of ownership and loving it so far......360 games look awesome at 1080p.

Got one question though....For my 360 via VGA, I manually have to decrease the sharpness to 30 each time when I power on the monitor. Is there a way to make the settings stick for each input?

Thx
Frag
PS At the default sharpness, due to scaling (games are 720p) being done , the irregularities become obvious BUT decreasing the sharpness to 30, it fixes it totally.

Bump as this is getting annoying now...having to change the sharpness settings every time I turn off/on the monitor:(

Frag

I got that when I had an A02 revision monitor when I had set it to 1080p. The newer revision A04 doesn't have those funny lines at default sharpness so there's no need to reduce the sharpness. I suggest getting a replacement to A04 firmware as in this revision they fix 1080p scaling.

does anyone have an idea as to the increase or decrease in availability and shipment of the A04 rev panels?

I have a Dell 2407A04 on the way to replace my Gateway 2485. Impressions to come, hope I like it!

Because the HC won't be anywhere near the price I bought mine for. And after reading a review of the 27 HC I'm not sure the extra color really is something I need.

At full price, sure, it's better to wait.

dR.Jester: thanks a lot,

as i can see, its completely different and many lines are innactive so i can not fix it.

Is there any way to reset it to factory defaults?

Back