Official Dell 2407WFP Thread - Reviews, Revisions, Screenies

I got my 2407 last week and I'm very happy with it except for the red stuck pixel on the right corner. I'm having a hell of a time contacting Dell support to do an exchange. Since LCDs don't have service tags I don't seem to be able to use their online chat to talk with someone. I might just end up returning it and ordering a new one. If anyone has any advice on getting exchange or knows if Dell usually charges restocking free when returning please post.

you can do the online chat,, you don't need a service tag. Also dell does not charge a restocking fee on exchange.. just stick in there with it.. and be sure to tell them you've had a bad experience if you have.. dell usually gives coupons etc when you get jerked around. A lot of people talk shit on dell, but every time I've had a problem they've compensated me more than you would think, and made the experience worth while. Even if you do put up with some shit.. In the end you come out on top, which is why I will continue to buy their monitors... and only their monitors :-p

Well I ordered mine today... Hopefully everything works out ok. I only have ordered something from Dell once before, but that turned out well. My parents got me a Dell Inspiron 8100 for a graduation present. They paid it in full at the time and Dell contacted me 3 years later to inform me that I was late on my Dell card payment... even though we never had one. Took a while thanks to the wonders of language barriers, but they eventually figured out they had the wrong person. That was odd, but otherwise it was a solid experience.

I will post back with the results. Doesn't look like it will ship for an eternity (the 17th), so it will be a bit.

I did notice, if anyone is interested, that they have a few in the outlet for $40 less. I decided to avoid those as I wanted an A04 and I have a feeling those are not. I tried to ask sales support but they had no idea.

I ordered mine last night as well. Really excited.

I noticed on the refurbs that they do not have free shipping, pretty much eliminating the discount. So I didn't see it being worth the < A04 gamble...

I'm curious to see when they actually get this to me, and I'm crossing my fingers for no dead pixels.

I got my replacement today , same model in service menu , the colours actually tiny bit better and no stuck / dead pixels :D.

Mine arrived today. Originally I was told it wouldn't even ship until tomorrow, so that made my day.

It came right as I was about to go in to work so I didn't get a lot of time to mess around with it, but so far I love it. No dead pixels. Ran some Counter-Strike: Source, WoW, and Day of Defeat Source, all look great at 1920. I didn't notice any bad ghosting or the banding mentioned above.

Also watched the fighters and the liquid WMVHD trailers and checked out the viewing angles. Gotta say I love it so far.

Here are some crappy pics I took with my Razor. I will take some better ones when I get home. That is also when I plan on trying it out with my 360.

dell2407_1.jpg

This is it compared to my old 19inch. The pic doesn't do it justice really. The 2407 makes the poor Q9 look tiny.

dell2407_2.jpg

Oh the monitor is so big that my Steelcase hutch wouldn't fit anymore. So I hope everyone likes my improvised stacks of paper + a hutch from an ANCIENT desk that I got with my very first computer ever (Apple IIe!) hutch heh. I also had to put the receiver behind the monitor, which is annoying, but just temporary.

So far everything on mine has been great except the 360. I was unable to do a lot of testing, but I did pop in Gears, set the 360 to 1900 and played a bit.

Everything looked fine on the menus etc. Then once I got in-game I had lines going across the screen. All the way up. I will try to get a picture of it later. This could, in all fairness, be the cheap Pelican VGA cable I have for the 360. It does not look particularly well shielded and I did have it on the desk right next to those Infinity loudspeakers. Though I used this cable before on my 19inch Q9 and never noticed any issues like that. Anyway, aside from that, everything looked great on the monitor.

just pulled the trigger on the $569 deal from dell. definitely crazy excited about this!

East,

I think you have reason to be excited. Personally, I'm very pleased with the monitors I ordered.

Last Saturday, I purchased 2 -24" screens and a 30". The 30" just shipped, but the 24's arrived on Wednesday and like MattyC, I was originally told they wouldn't ship until Wednesday.

As far as I can tell, no dead pixels and no banding of any kind. The black levels are excellent and I was rather surprised at how clear the text is over my old setup. Very clear.

Overall, pretty high on the giddy scale for me...I couldn't pull myself away from them for a few hours after I loaded up UT2k4 and BF2142. Didn' t have any problems setting them up, but did need to read this tutorial to get the BF2142 to keep from crashing to desktop.

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2142_1.html

Again, I have to mention, the black levels are excellent. I sat these next to a Samsung 913, and a Viewsonic VX922, and felt the comparisons weren't even close. Best black levels I've ever seen. Just my opinion and I assure you I'm no monitor expert, but do have pretty good eyesight..:)
Both monitors shipped from Austin by DHL and the boxes say, "Made in Mexico". Revision AO4's. The boxes arrived in perfect shape and the DHL driver was here at 9:15 in the morning. I haven't had much experience with DHL, but I've heard/read alot of negative comments on them. No problems here.

Couldn't be happier at the current price level of 569.

Here's a quick snapshot, do apologize for the blurriness, not the best photographer.

P1000842.JPG

Best,

Liquid Cool

I received my 2407 yesterday and couldn't be happier. Got the A04 revision. No backlight or pixel problems. I am debating on ordering a second one at this nice price point.

The A03 and revisions prior to it all have problems scaling 1080i/p, so lines are unfortunately expected.

I couldn't get my 2407 to display 1080 without picking up those nasty vertical lines. :(

i had a dream i looked at the back of my new monitor and i saw made in mexico...revision A03..........

tomorrow..

Does anyone know if you can connect VGA, DVI and component simultaneously? I read there was an issue with the A02 where you could not use component if you had VGA and DVI plugged in at the same time, however I recently got my A02 exchanged for a A04.
Cheers

I' ve been planning on buying a Dell 24",but banding and ghosting problems are still holding me back a bit:( I usually play typical FPS games like Counter-strike Source and Call of Duty 2. I now the ghosting exists in all LCD displays, but will that be a problem? I own a 22" Samsung, which has a 2ms response time. I like the crispy response time,but all the other abilities like colours and viewing angles suck badly.

I've heard a lot of good things about this 24 inch dell and I think that's propably the best bang for my buck. I now just need a confirmation that I can play my favourite games with it.

Thanx

Does anyone know if you can connect VGA, DVI and component simultaneously? I read there was an issue with the A02 where you could not use component if you had VGA and DVI plugged in at the same time, however I recently got my A02 exchanged for a A04.
Cheers

I had an A02 and I could no problems.

I' ve been planning on buying a Dell 24",but banding and ghosting problems are still holding me back a bit:( I usually play typical FPS games like Counter-strike Source and Call of Duty 2. I now the ghosting exists in all LCD displays, but will that be a problem? I own a 22" Samsung, which has a 2ms response time. I like the crispy response time,but all the other abilities like colours and viewing angles suck badly.

I've heard a lot of good things about this 24 inch dell and I think that's propably the best bang for my buck. I now just need a confirmation that I can play my favourite games with it.

Thanx

they fixed many of the banding problems with the later revisions...from what i hear, the latest (A04) is spectacular

woooo it came today...DHL tracking sucks but the box arrived in what i can only describe as pristine condition...looked like it wasnt even handled at all...

never been happier to see the words "made in mexico" before...revision A04...ran UDPixel, no dead no stuck...killer :D

i went into the menu and under display settings, the option for 1:1 scaling and aspect ratio was disabled...fill was selected by default...how do i enable this setting?

i went into the menu and under display settings, the option for 1:1 scaling and aspect ratio was disabled...fill was selected by default...how do i enable this setting?

I think quoting an older post might help here:

It's actually pretty simple -- I think the name itself, "1:1" is just confusing because people use it to mean different things. What we're really talking about is aspect ratio control. The monitor has a resolution of 1920 by 1200. When you display a signal that's smaller than this, you have to decide what to do with the extra space on the monitor. Aspect ratio controls usually give you three options (sometimes they have slightly different names -- you'd have to look in the Dell manual to see exactly what they're called here, as I don't have this monitor):
  • Fill/stretch mode: the image is stretched to fill the entire screen. So if you input a 1080p image (1920 by 1080), it will be stretched vertically to fill the remainder of the screen. If you input a 4:3 image, like 1600 by 1200, it will be stretched horizontally. If you input an image that is smaller both vertically and horizontally (e.g. 1280 by 720), it will be stretched in both directions.
  • Aspect mode: The image is stretched as much as possible without introducing distortion; that is, the aspect ratio is preserved. So if the input is 1280 by 720, it will be blown up as big as possible so that it still preserves a 16:9 ratio -- in this case, to 1920 by 1080. So the image fills up the screen as much as possible, and black bars are used where needed.
  • 1:1/original size mode: No stretching at all is used; the image takes up exactly as many pixels as given by the resolution of the input signal. So a 1280 by 720 image would appear centered on the screen with black on all sides. A really small resolution, like 640 by 480, would appear in a tiny rectangle surrounded by a lot of black.
For some resolutions, such as 1920 by 1080, 1:1 mode and aspect mode do exactly the same thing -- since the image already fills the entire width of the screen, it can't be stretched anymore without distorting it.

Given all this, I think that when most people say they want a monitor with 1:1 mapping, they really mean that at the very least they want the aspect ratio preserved, even if the image is larger than the actual resolution. The hot issue is with the PS3 and Xbox -- since these are meant for HDTVs, they always output at 16:9 resolutions, so without aspect ratio control the image will always be stretched vertically, making everything look a little taller and skinnier.

Hope this helps.

I was wondering about this myself, since for me 1:1 and aspect did/do the same thing on my 360 at 1920x1080, but that's because they don't need to do anything. Probably it's disabled because whatever source/input/resolution you're using is exactly the size it's supposed to be, and thus the modes are unneeded (such as for me using my PC's DVI connector on 1920x1080 (which is exactly what the monitor runs in). So of course it wouldn't need to be used. I think that's probably the best way to explain it. Perhaps you don't need the mode(s) in whatever setting you are using.

Also, since I am here, and don't want to really post another reply just to ask. I've had an issue with my new monitor (Rev A04, new as of last week) where sometimes, especially with the xbox 360 the screen seems to want to "tear" about halfway up the screen. Its almost as if the frame wants to 'separate" into 2 frames at times. I think it's only when using 1:1 or aspect modes, and not using fill (but why would you fill with a 360, that's the entire point of 1:1 pixel mapping). Turning the monitor off, and back on tends to make it go away for a few hours, but I've noticed thar switching between DVI and VGA (which I do a lot to check my PC at times) sometimes causes it, and meddling around in the menu and switching between aspect, 1:1, and fill ALWAYS causes it, and requires a reboot of the monitor to 'fix". Does anyone else have this issue? All in all it's not as if that issue is a deal breaker, considering, but it is mildly annoying. I wonder if I should call Dell about it? Something tells me they'll just tell me the monitor is "not meant to support a 360" or something. Any thoughts?

woooo it came today...DHL tracking sucks but the box arrived in what i can only describe as pristine condition...looked like it wasnt even handled at all...

never been happier to see the words "made in mexico" before...revision A04...ran UDPixel, no dead no stuck...killer :D

Mine was like this for DVI and I never figured out how to change it. However it would let me change it under VGA (how my 360 was hooked up) and this fixed the wierdness I was seeing in Gears of War. As far as I can tell it doesn't matter under DVI (for me anyway) since all of that will be coming from my PC and be 16:10, or scaled to 16:10 by my nvidia drivers anyway.So yeah it is probably what Hounder suggested.

hounder, i know what 1:1 is, that's not the issue...my monitor's menu physically will not let me switch from fill mode to 1:1 mode...how do i "unlock" 1:1?

hounder, i know what 1:1 is, that's not the issue...my monitor's menu physically will not let me switch from fill mode to 1:1 mode...how do i "unlock" 1:1?

My point in posting that was a refresher, not just for you, but anyone else, since I was confused myself. Mine wouldn't "unlock" when I was using my PC at 1920x1200 either, as it didn't need to. What specifically are you connecting to it, and/or what resolution are you running the device in? and what input is it? mine won't "unlock" on my DVI for my PC either, but it does for my 360. my guess is it "detects" if it's the correct aspect and offers you the option if you need it.

Hmm let me word it another way. I think the monitor has the aspect options disabled when you are feeding it 16:10 anyway. E.g. my 360 is outputting 16:9, when I am on my 360 via VGA, I have the option to change the aspect ratio. When I am on the DVI input where my PC is sending the monitor 16:10 to begin with, the option is disabled.

It is either that or it just does not have that option over DVI because it assumes you are feeding it 16:10 over DVI, but I bet it is the former.

Hmm let me word it another way. I think the monitor has the aspect options disabled when you are feeding it 16:10 anyway. E.g. my 360 is outputting 16:9, when I am on my 360 via VGA, I have the option to change the aspect ratio. When I am on the DVI input where my PC is sending the monitor 16:10 to begin with, the option is disabled.

It is either that or it just does not have that option over DVI because it assumes you are feeding it 16:10 over DVI, but I bet it is the former.

As an experiment I did this:

I went into the NVidia control panel, and told my card to 'treat this display as an HDTV" and selected "1080p" (which is 1920x1080) then chose "native" mode. When I did so, my 1:1 and aspect options "magically" unlocked for DVI, since at this point it was receiving the same signal my Xbox, (or a DVD player, or some other "TV based" 1080p device) would feed it. I could then add the bars to my desktop, of course not only did it look like ass this way, but I had bars on a PC display that did not need it, so I quickly switched it. The short answer is, on a modern PC, even if you select 800x600 res, or 1600x1200 res (which is 4:3) the graphics card "knows" the monitor is 1920x1200 because it reads its EDID data, and "translates" the res/signal into a 1900x1200 one in the best way it can. For devices that do not do this (read; game consoles, DVD players, etc.) the monitor's aspect scaling opens up and allows you to deal with it. Do this as a test. Go into your dell menu and look at "Display info" under "Display settings" no matter the resolution you set your PC to, it probably still says "1920x1200@60Hz" (at least mine does). Whereas when my 360 is using it, it says "1920x1080@60Hz" because that's the signal it's receiving.

The short answer is, yes, it's disabled when you're feeding it 16:10 anyway. We may not think of it as 16x10 but PC graphics cards compensate for it, and feed that signal to the monitor anyway.

Just got my 2nd replacement 2407 from Dell and it still there are dead pixels! It's almost my second week with the LCD so I will probably just return it and start the process all over again.

i tinkered around with it too, and i found this out. if i change the screen res to 1920x1080 in VGA, the 1:1 option was unlocked. doing this in DVI however did not unlock it. DVI is extremely noticeably better than VGA with my system, so until i'm using this for console gaming etc, DVI is where it's at...

Hounder,

Appreciate the explanation of your experimentation in post #869, made all of this quite clear for me. I was fiddling with it as well because I kept coming up with the same conclusions as East...

Egaas...Nice clean set-up.

Best,

Liquid Cool

some pics...note this is my parents' living room...setting up in here prevents the inevitable 10 lbs of dust from collecting inside my machine...please also note: i had no say in the decor of the room.......

way too much flash...don't know how to turn autoflash off
DSCN0797.jpg

better
DSCN0794.jpg

it actually looks good haha...calvin and hobbes > *
DSCN0792.jpg

i turn this monitor off when i'm not using it so it (but the computer is still on), but when i turn it back on, the left side of the screen flickers/pulsates terribly for a short while. is this normal?

Hi East, you know i have the same problem, i think the problem is when the monitor is cold, if you turn off and then on, it didn't happen to me. I don't think that it is a common problem.

cool good to know...i freaked out because i just got done dealing with a monitor that flickered terribly on my computer...all the time

thanks man

cool good to know...i freaked out because i just got done dealing with a monitor that flickered terribly on my computer...all the time

thanks man

I had that problem with my 2nd replacement. my 3rd is flawless.

Please note. If your DVI isnt doing 1:1 its because of the nvidia drives that wont let you scale right

I had that problem with my 2nd replacement. my 3rd is flawless.

Please note. If your DVI isnt doing 1:1 its because of the nvidia drives that wont let you scale right

Not to get confused, Nvidia video cards won't scale 1920x1080 over DVI on the 2407 because what it does is that the card scales 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 by vertically stretching it and therefore the monitor still thinks its 1920x1200 and hence cannot scale using the monitor scaling hardware but the card's own scaler. The card's scaler adds the black bars to create the illusion, keep it in proportion, and the black bars become unusable. I think the reason why is because it receives information from the monitor saying that 1920x1200 is the max it can support and from that it distorts 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. You cannot even scale 1280x720 properly and it's the same reason.

In order to use 1:1 scaling over DVI the source itself must output a true 1920x1080 signal, such as a PS3 or a 360 elite (using an HDMI-to-DVI cable), or an HD video player for it to work properly.

so does anyone know anything about getting the DVI to enable 1:1 scaling with ATI drivers?

Not to get confused, Nvidia video cards won't scale 1920x1080 over DVI on the 2407 because what it does is that the card scales 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 by vertically stretching it and therefore the monitor still thinks its 1920x1200 and hence cannot scale using the monitor scaling hardware but the card's own scaler. The card's scaler adds the black bars to create the illusion, keep it in proportion, and the black bars become unusable. I think the reason why is because it receives information from the monitor saying that 1920x1200 is the max it can support and from that it distorts 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. You cannot even scale 1280x720 properly and it's the same reason.

In order to use 1:1 scaling over DVI the source itself must output a true 1920x1080 signal, such as a PS3 or a 360 elite (using an HDMI-to-DVI cable), or an HD video player for it to work properly.

Nvidia scaling sucks on the 8800's. It wont your monitor scale it.

Back