**OFFICIAL MSI 975X Powerup Edition Thread**

Well, I am going to install this NB cooler from the get-go. wow.. anyways.. starting to think this was not the best idea.. I hate having to test test test to get to a point where I can enjoy gaming.. I might just grab that Asus from Fry's and shit-can this who MSI idea.. *sigh* now I'll have to sell two mobos. lol. reckless buying..

oh wow.. the nb cooler is here! looks smaller in person.

Is it beta or official? I don't want to void the warranty for what seems to be few to no improvements lately.

I got my board today and did some major work to both my rigs.. whew.. all day hardware frenzy.. now I just need my new x1900xt master card and the xtx. should be in tomorrow or the next day...

I like this north bridge cooler.. I hope it performs as well as it looks. :)
975x.JPG

hope hope hope this is a good OCer. :)
975x3.JPG

the water block came VERY close to this cap.. whew.. I was sweatin' it for a moment..
975x2.JPG

ok, bring on the video cards! :)
975x1.JPG

Glad to see there's another new bios to try.. I will DL this one and load it up when I have video capability.

lol... dang... now that's hardcore! water too! shoot... soon i will have water also... but that's going to be a diffferent rig. bleah. still tryin to get rid of this one. have fun! show us some cool stuff!

stability shmability... i want some more overclocking power! ;p hehe... yah... stability is uber important when OC'n, but i know this cpu can't be maxxed at 3.36GHz... gotta push 'til it hurts! are there any volt mods for this thing... i know i don't have water cooling, but heck... i'm crazy.

heh.. well I know that TodB guy is working directly with MSI techs to get this board to be the one of the best, if not THE best, 975 chipset board out there.. it's got the potential.. but the bios needs some work.. they're on it every day.. it's only a matter of time now. :)

errr... i dunno who todd is, but he sounds like a cool guy. ;D and where are you all in the conroe overclocking database?! i'm still the only msi 975x owner in there. make your overclocking prowess seen!

just some d00d on XS as far as I know.. I am just glad to see his updates about MSI wanting to get this board dialed in!

Yeah, if my mobo and cpu cooperates I will post on the OC DB.. I still have yet to even power them on. I suppose I could have done that last night with my old nvidia cards.. but I wanted to have my pristine pci-e slot de-virginized by an X1900XT master card. wewt! LOL

here's to hoping all goes well tonight! :D (master card is sitting at home now)

HOLY crap... this POS. first power on a power regulator went up in smoke! that does it.. I am going to Fry's 1st thing and getting the Asus p5wd dh deluxe.. wow..

revenant said:
HOLY crap... this POS. first power on a power regulator went up in smoke! that does it.. I am going to Fry's 1st thing and getting the Asus p5wd dh deluxe.. wow..

dayum. now that's [H]ardcore.

dude.. I am pissed! I spent a lot of time getting all that build together.. plus I got both my 1900s today! fuck! piss! shit!!! GAH!!

/rant

anyways.. seriously my OCD was going nuts wanting to have had a working machine tonight.. I hope to hell that my memory is not fried also.. the vreg that went up was near the ddr slots. yikes. please please please let my components be ok! I had my master card in also.. wow...

not sure... I think it was a bad soldering job or a bad regulator.. the whole thing just seperated right in the middle, then melted a bit.. yes, the blue smoke escaped! nothing was gounded out anywhere.. I went over that board with a fine tooth comb before turning the power on.. my cpu and NB sinks were planted well.. the NB sink got really hot actually.. only took 5 seconds.. I am sorta worried about my memory... either than it's fried as a results of this, or that it's bad and caused the overload. I have the Asus P5W DH Deluxe in my trunk now but can't test anything until tonight.. fscking A. finger's X'd that everything is ok.

all parts are working fine! whew... I am installing windows on the new system now.. double whew.

awesome dude. you'd better be on the database soon. haha... too bad it wont be with an msi board... post msi board 0ghz woohoo! colorful blue smoke. ;p

heh... hopefully very soon.. installing service pack 2 right now.. I might pull an all nighter getting everything installed and such.. then do some OCing tomorrow night. :D I took the fan from my other NB cooler and fitted it into the Asus NB sink... so I won't risk any heat pipe doing the wrong way issues.. being that this is installed in a BTX config.. the heat pipe from the NB goes down rather than up.. some say that doesn't matter, but I think it does actually.. well, it's sure doesn't work as effectively.. anyways.. I pulled all the sinks on this mobo prior to installing it and cleaned the crappy factory thermal grease off replacing it with fresh AS5! The south bridge's sink wasn't evem touching the middle of the chip! gah.. I am glad I checked. Other than that this thing is a work of art.. very high quality.. but the bios UI stinks.. IMO.. not as intuitive as I had hoped.. but it's cool. I guess it'll just take some getting used to.

ok... I think I have had like 8 cokes tonight.. lol. and a rotisserie chicken. mmmmmm mmmmmm good. ;)

revenant said:
heh... hopefully very soon.. installing service pack 2 right now.. I might pull an all nighter getting everything installed and such.. then do some OCing tomorrow night. :D I took the fan from my other NB cooler and fitted it into the Asus NB sink... so I won't risk any heat pipe doing the wrong way issues.. being that this is installed in a BTX config.. the heat pipe from the NB goes down rather than up.. some say that doesn't matter, but I think it does actually.. well, it's sure doesn't work as effectively.. anyways.. I pulled all the sinks on this mobo prior to installing it and cleaned the crappy factory thermal grease off replacing it with fresh AS5! The south bridge's sink wasn't evem touching the middle of the chip! gah.. I am glad I checked. Other than that this thing is a work of art.. very high quality.. but the bios UI stinks.. IMO.. not as intuitive as I had hoped.. but it's cool. I guess it'll just take some getting used to.

ok... I think I have had like 8 cokes tonight.. lol. and a rotisserie chicken. mmmmmm mmmmmm good. ;)

haha... mmmm... rotisserie chicken + coke = heartattack. ;p at least it aint fried chicken. bwahaha... wowzers.. you know if the heatpipes fit any other mobos?

There is a new BIOS on its ways called 7246. It will give us option to set the Multiplier for CPU.

just for grins, here's the vreg that went "poof" when I powered the board on for the 1st time

975xMeltdown.JPG

wow... dayum... haha... well i kinda sold mine off now.. well more like trading it. i'll ship it off in 2 days... so yah... dayum man... that's hardcore though.whooo white smoke. haha. suxors. i'm kinda interested in the multipliers bein unlocked but oh wells, i'm back to opty smashing. ;p

shoot, i might like another one... haha! i love havin spare stuff around. haha... anyhoots, i now have a p4 i really have no use for so maybe i can build another computer? ;p

Hey everyone, I just got this board yesterday, and I'm having the issue of when turning on the computer it turns on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off, and then turns itself back on, and keeps on going in this cycle... Is this for sure a Ram Issue? I have 4 sticks of DDR2 , I have two that came from my Dell Dimension 8400, and I have two sticks of PQI Turbo... I need help

NrthnStar5 said:
Hey everyone, I just got this board yesterday, and I'm having the issue of when turning on the computer it turns on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off, and then turns itself back on, and keeps on going in this cycle... Is this for sure a Ram Issue? I have 4 sticks of DDR2 , I have two that came from my Dell Dimension 8400, and I have two sticks of PQI Turbo... I need help

No it was a BIOS issue. update the BIOS to the latest one i post up there.

Hiya everybody,

Maybe I'm off-topic here and slightly autistic, so do not hesitate to tell me off.
I've just bought my new system and built it myself. My mobo is an MSI 975X platinum power-up (ah there you go !), my CPU an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and my video card a Radeon X1950XTX. It just doesn't work... Whenever I switch it on, the fans rotate for half a sec and then, nothing....
Of course I tested it all way round with/out memory, HD, DVD drives, video card... In the end I had the mobo on my desk with the power supply (a Cooler Master Real Power RS-550-ACLY which works on my other computer btw), the CPU and its fan only, and still the same problem.... No beep... Only fan activity for 0.5 second....
I suspect the MSI, really.
Anyone to enlighten me please ????

hmmm.. i had a similar problem, but that was because i hadnt plugged in my 8 pin EPS12V connector. i only had a 4 pin connector at the time (thermaltake 430 tr2) and so i got worried it would blow up the mobo, but after i connected it to the first 4 in the eps connector it worked fine. i dont have issues at all now because i have a mushkin hp550 (which has the 8pin connector). your psu has the 8 pin connector too, so it seems like it should be fine if it's connected. it's the one between the northbridge cooler and the usb ports. other than that, i have no idea. ;)

Arf, thx a lot xkon but yes I have the 8-pin connected.
My problem is quite weird actually, I've posted in a couple of forums now and there are many different answers... I've got one who said the termal paste on the CPU fan may be a problem. Is that so ?
I reckon that if the connexions are all fine and that the bare minimum is the CPU, fan and mobo it's either the CPU or the mobo being faulty here...
But anyway I'll buy paste tomorrow, just to see. That freezer pro 7 was a nightmare to install anyway. I wish I had posted about some OC problems cuz it would have meant... Oh well, I spose I'll get it sorted. In the meantime if anyone has any ideas ??????

Do the new bioses solve most of the issues this mobo had? im considering getting it instead of the Asus PW5 DH

Which issues are you refering to? I know that the 7.1 fixed a few things, but most overclockers think that the beta 716 are still better.

Hopefully MSI will release another official here soon.

Ive just heard that this mobo had a few issues, but mabye the biod updates fixed them.

Im just wondering if this motherboard is compairable to the asus, just without the wifi (etc) that i dont need.

JS_ said:
Ive just heard that this mobo had a few issues, but mabye the biod updates fixed them.

Im just wondering if this motherboard is compairable to the asus, just without the wifi (etc) that i dont need.

You are right, but the thing is it has been months since this board is out and MSI could not fix the problem. :mad:

Back