**OFFICIAL MSI 975X Powerup Edition Thread**

I RMAed my motherboard and I am waiting for MSI to fix the dead cold boot problems I was getting. Hopefully I get a rev. 3 board (if they have one) or something lol. Im perfectly happy running 400FSB stable on this motherboard, I have a e6600 though so 400x9 is plenty of a OC for me :).

Yea they really do need to release another bios with the restart/boot fix as well as fixes for higher OC potential. I think some people had raid problems as well with the board.

I recently got the MSI 975X Powerup edition mobo. I have a E6600 installed, X1900XTX, Silverstone ST60F, 7.1bios. Three things that are artarded about this board:

1. At stock speeds and most recent official bios it has problems restarting every 3-4 times I reboot it just hangs.
2. USB keyboard can't be used in Bios even with USB keyboard support on. Easily the most annoying thing about this board.
3. Their monitoring software sucks. It constantly say my processor is in danger because the fan speed is too low.

Aside from those issues that I hope will be fixed with bios updates I have a few questions:

Ram: My ram is GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-1000 4-4-4-12 and the documentation says to use 2.4v for it. I did change it in the bios but not only does the motherboard manual warn against this, but it seems the bios thinks it's a bad idea too with the "2.4v" marked in red as if it will make my puter blow up or something if I pick it.

Second question: someone said don't plug in the 8-pin motherboard power connector. I did this before I read here and the computer seems to work fine aside from the three problems I mention above. Should I switch to the 4pin connector before I break something? I've read elsewhere that the 8pin should be used on this board if you have it.

Sorry about noob questions, but I appreciate any help.

Couple of questions about this mobo, i got Rev 2.0:

1. My PSU has two 4 pin JPWR connectors, should i remove the cap and plug both in, or just one?
2. I got 2GB of Gold Dual Channel XTC OCZ ram, code OCZ2G8002GK, anyone tried those with this mobo? I saw at OCZ that it's ok.
3. Anything else i should know about it?

I'm waiting for my E6600 to arrive...

Hello everyone, thank you all for the information provided about this motherboard. Even with the problems listed I had to buy it.

I just got my system up and running - 1st build so it took me awhile.

I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right so when I noticed the cap on JPW I called MSI just to verify the correct connections. If your PSU has an eight pin connector then use it instead of the 4. The cap is there when the MB is shipped in case you have a 4 pin connector as it would need to be installed in the uncovered slots.

In regards to the boot issue, I was not having one until I installed dual core center. I removed DCC from the automatic start up list in windows and so far everything has been working just fine, boot problems are gone. Maybe that could be the cause of some of your problems so just wanted to pass that along.

E6600
MSI 975X Power Up
x1900Xt
2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 - PC6400
Ultra 550w PSU

Hi

The information about the 4 / 8 pin connector is good info
power supplies on these setup needs to be very good
Have had problems with tagon 480 :rolleyes:
upgrade to Tagan 600 problems disappeared :)
now can start overclocking this 6400 CPU
may upgrade to the 6600 :)
have a home for this 6400
Now at 2800 and stable

Jmvd20 said:
Hello everyone, thank you all for the information provided about this motherboard. Even with the problems listed I had to buy it.

I just got my system up and running - 1st build so it took me awhile.

I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right so when I noticed the cap on JPW I called MSI just to verify the correct connections. If your PSU has an eight pin connector then use it instead of the 4. The cap is there when the MB is shipped in case you have a 4 pin connector as it would need to be installed in the uncovered slots.

In regards to the boot issue, I was not having one until I installed dual core center. I removed DCC from the automatic start up list in windows and so far everything has been working just fine, boot problems are gone. Maybe that could be the cause of some of your problems so just wanted to pass that along.

E6600
MSI 975X Power Up
x1900Xt
2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 - PC6400
Ultra 550w PSU

What is your stable FSB. Yesterday i broke the 400 barrier by changing the memory timming to 4-4-3-11. You and i have the same memory and motherboard.

I can boot upto 425fsb but i wont start the window, blank screen. Any body have any idea?

I have not really even tried to OC this set up yet. I stll have the stock Intel fan but did hit stable 300-315 FSB (yep I am a massive OC'er :rolleyes: ) according to CPU-Z, core temp software had temps in the 52-54 range during that under heavy load.

Don't know how much I trust DCC though as I tried using the automatic overclocker feature - FSB went to 500 something before the system turned off...????? I am planning on doing some OC work this weekend though.

Have you been able to get your memory recoginzed as 800MHZ, MSI tech support sent me bios v7.16 as they said that BIOS fully supported my memory. Too bad it din't support anything else as I couldn't get past the XP load screen. Right now I am just using BIOS from live update, I think it's 7.12 but that is the only one I can get to work properly. That is except my memory issue.

JMVD20, Let us know from your overclock experience. We should exchange our results and setting, we might able to find some solution. I have same problem i cannot boot pass the windows screen, either it stuck or blank screen. Like i said i am using Crucial Ballistix PC6400, i will also post some results over the weekend.

Thanx.

Hi

upgrade the power supply to aTagen 600 :D
also mem to Cosair 6400 4-4-4-4-12 ram
now at 425 x 8 = 3400
happy :D
may go further

ooh... awesome... i wish i had my pcp&c silencer 610 back when i had an msi 975x /w e6400... i'd probably be happier with it. post it up on the OC database! MSI 975x represent!

Hi all,
I bought the system in my signature a few days ago, I am not experienced with E6300, 975 chipset and DDR2 so I need some assistance.

I started with basic OC and encountered boot problems even with 333fsb. If the computer manages to boot somehow than I don't have any stability problem, usually when I hit restart I am encountering boot problems. I am not trying to reach highest limits of this system but I know that 333 very low for this CPU's potential. My intention to find the best stable combination for daily usage.
I think I am doing something wrong with memory setup. I have 1 stick 1gb Kingston (667Mhz) memory (I hope to buy another stick soon:). Should I OC its speed to 800Mhz ? Max how much memory Volt would be safe for daily usage and how much memory Volt would you suggest to reach 340-350fsb. Memory timings are at auto mode at the moment, can this cause boot problems ? If yes which timings would you suggest ?

Looking forward to your replies, thanks.

i had a problem like the one you have described
would not boot above 333 :mad:
change power supplyfrom (Tagan 480 about 3 yr old) to (Tagan600)and could go to 350 :confused:
change mem from team to Corsair and now at 425 x 8 :D

umm... 333 is 667 ddr2 effective. i wouldnt recommend you go straight to ddr2-800 as that's a steep overclock for 667 ram. umm... well it really depends on what ram you have though. is it kingston value ram? or is it kingston hyperx? what IC's (chips) do they use? elipida? micron? samsung? nanya? if it's got heatspreaders then look up the part number. most of the time people will have that stuff posted online already.

i suggest doin a little research about all your parts before you start putting voltage and stuff into the ram. most overclocking ram can handle 2.2 just fine, but that's overclocking ram and you dont do that unless you need that voltage. other stuff though, it just wont matter how much voltage, if it has a wall it's gonna be stuck there.

it's best to set your own timings as sometimes the board gives wierd default timings that wont allow it to boot, but when i was using the msi 975x it would provide good timings. use loose timings (ie. 5-5-5-15 or wutever) then tighten them up after you find your OC limit. there's an overclocking thread for core 2 duo's somewhere online, i dont remember where it's at, but you should look it up.

as for the boot problems, if you read through this thread you'll find that it's a common thing with all msi 975x's. they all have that boot issue. try some of the new bios's if it bothers you. it doesnt really get rid of it, but makes it better. :D

keep your cpu voltage at stock for now. most of the core2duo's are able to clock high without much voltage anyhow. it seems like your ram would be the most limiting factor in your overclock. most ddr2 rated at 667 doesnt OC too high, not all just sayin that most wont.

i sold mine off a while ago, but i might be comin back to the msi 975x stuff... i had ok luck with my overclocks, and if the price is right i'll probably hop back in. I STILL BELIEVE! ;p

seems like psu's make a difference with this board? ;p i got different results with my mushkin hp550 and thermaltake tr2 430... i always got better oc's with my stock hsf and the thermaltake than the mushkin hp550 and noctua hsf, but never thought it was because of the psu... now that you mention it, it might be just that.

i always kept my ratio at 1:1 (supposedly 266) but when i'm in cpuz it shows up as 400. so i just shrug and go on. ;p

thanks for the help, I noticed that I forgot to mention that my PSU is Zalman 400W. May be this is not enough to over clock this system. What do you think ?

I checked my RAM and found out it is Kingston value model and also found this description on Kingston's web site:Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 667MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM-DDR2, 1.8V, CL5, Double-Sided). I did small fast research but couldn't find its IC. Do you know a web site to easily track IC ?
I have already flashed my BIOS therfore I'll try to find the best RAM timings, I'll keep you posted about the outcome.

hehe... that's not much for an overclockig setup, but you can still do it. you could do a little but dont expect anything too high...
the list i usually refer to most of the time is http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90973 the ones in red are good for overclocking, but i dont see kingston listed anywhere... they dont show ic's but if you have the part number/ serial number you can google it and most of the time you can find it. easiest way is to look on the chips themself, says right on the ic's (black ram chips). so if you look on the ram itself it will most likely have it on there. only time you wont be able to tell is if it's got a heatspreader on it or it's rebranded. if it's value it's probably elipida, but i'm not sure on that. yah... i recommend a better psu. especially if you plan to overclock hardcore, at least 500 watts good brand, 600-700+ if you plan on keeping it for a long time. ie. enermax, fortron, ocz, seasonic, corsair, silverstone, etc... i'm using a 430 right now, but that's for temporary purposes and i dont plan to stress it too much until i get my seasonic in. the psu should be fine for now, as the computer will run, but could have issues like rebooting random restarts, hangs, way too many stuff to list. when my old psu went out, all kinds of wierd stuff happened before it totally died. it killed my hard drive, my video card, then my mobo and cpu. so yah.. dont skimp on the psu. lately, i've been spending more money on psu's than cpus. ;p you cant really tell the difference but the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you're getting clean power to all your parts, and that the problem isnt the psu's fault is there. :D

it'd probably be better to use a divider since you're using value ram because value ram (with a few exceptions) will usually not clock high enough to stress the cpu.

If anyone else has an E6600 what temperature are you running at idle and under load. I am currently using the stock fan with artic silver and my idle is 40C while a heavy load is about 52C at stock speeds. I just read that the E6800 does not get over 45C under load, I checked the fan and heat sink and everything is on the board tight.

I keep hitting a problem at about 350 FSB that I cannot break through and still have the computer boot properly. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this issue, I think I may be done trying to OC this untill I pick up a better CPU cooler.

Bios V7.16 still will not recognize 800MHZ memory on my system, tried just about everything I can think of. Manually changed voltage and timings to what they should be and the system will not boot. MSI tech support said that they would be releasing a new BIOS soon that will correct all of the memory issues. Ya, I think I heard that before.

I just put a new system together but cannot get the computer to post with the OCZ memory. I bought two sticks of ddr2 533 mhz and the system runs great. I have tried all voltages from 1.8 to 2.2, different slots, different timings, the ram says to use 4-4-415. Has anybody gotten the OCZ platinum version 2 PC 6400 to run on this board? If so do you have any advice?

Thanks

Here is my Update, i can do now 411 fsb with E6300 check the picture out. I am trying more every minute now. Memory is Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4-4-4-12 DEFAULT, now running at 5-5-4-13

Untitled.jpg

I got upto 415fsb in the windows, but some time it freezes. I think the only problem we have here is the comman rate 1T. We need option to change it to 2T what the hell MSI is doing, where is the new BIOS.

I see they released version 7.20 into a production environment. Has anybody tried it yet?

Well i did not noticed, i will try tonight to see how it works. But why it is dated 9/21/06, and it also says updated CPU micro code, what is that mean?

Have change to bios 7.20 from the beta 7.22
Starting to freeze up again back to the beta bios :confused:
can only get 425 x 8 =3400 stable :D
i think that the chipset can not go any further without uping the voltage

Not complaining

still vey fast

xkon said:
hehe... that's not much for an overclockig setup, but you can still do it. you could do a little but dont expect anything too high...
the list i usually refer to most of the time is http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90973 the ones in red are good for overclocking, but i dont see kingston listed anywhere... they dont show ic's but if you have the part number/ serial number you can google it and most of the time you can find it. easiest way is to look on the chips themself, says right on the ic's (black ram chips). so if you look on the ram itself it will most likely have it on there. only time you wont be able to tell is if it's got a heatspreader on it or it's rebranded. if it's value it's probably elipida, but i'm not sure on that. yah... i recommend a better psu. especially if you plan to overclock hardcore, at least 500 watts good brand, 600-700+ if you plan on keeping it for a long time. ie. enermax, fortron, ocz, seasonic, corsair, silverstone, etc... i'm using a 430 right now, but that's for temporary purposes and i dont plan to stress it too much until i get my seasonic in. the psu should be fine for now, as the computer will run, but could have issues like rebooting random restarts, hangs, way too many stuff to list. when my old psu went out, all kinds of wierd stuff happened before it totally died. it killed my hard drive, my video card, then my mobo and cpu. so yah.. dont skimp on the psu. lately, i've been spending more money on psu's than cpus. ;p you cant really tell the difference but the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you're getting clean power to all your parts, and that the problem isnt the psu's fault is there. :D

it'd probably be better to use a divider since you're using value ram because value ram (with a few exceptions) will usually not clock high enough to stress the cpu.

I managed to get my system working (stable in windows) with 350fsb but I still suffer from POS problems. If I shut down windows and power up my comp afterwards I don't have any problems. But if I restart windows almost every time my comp freezes at start up. As far as I understand I have to wait for a good bios update or is there anything else I can do ?

Hi
if you have a water cooled system then yes
or add at fan to the north bridge
i would also change the thermal pad to Arctic Silver 5

Dman i hate MSI, new Official BIOS has same RAID issue that Beta had. It did not read the RAID 0, switched back to 7.22 beta.

I can run this board at 400mhz fsb no problem, but there are cold boot issues even at stock speed.
I am running bios v 7.10. I see that 7.20 is available. Does 7.20 fix this prolblem?
Thanks.

I think I read on the MSI forums that some people were getting windows corruption with the 7.2 bios. I think this might mainly be due to a raid problem though.

Have a look Here

Not using raid, but i guess I'll stick to 7:0 until they actually fix something.
Again, 400mhz fsb is not a problem, but the cold boot issue is pretty damned annoying.

eno-on said:
Not using raid, but i guess I'll stick to 7:0 until they actually fix something.
Again, 400mhz fsb is not a problem, but the cold boot issue is pretty damned annoying.

You are right 400Fsb is not a problem for me too, but as soon as you pass it the problems starting to huant you. I can post at upto 425fsb but it won;t boot into windows at all.

Stay away from OCZ for this mobo, i had those modules returned and got:
TWIN2X2048-6400C4

But now the following happens, i can't get it to work at 800 4-4-4-12 with 2.1V.
I'm running it at it's default now which is:

667 5-5-5-15

Federelli said:
Stay away from OCZ for this mobo, i had those modules returned and got:
TWIN2X2048-6400C4

But now the following happens, i can't get it to work at 800 4-4-4-12 with 2.1V.
I'm running it at it's default now which is:

667 5-5-5-15

You bought Corsair C4 right, and what results did you got?

I'm new to working with this board and 975-chipset boards in particular. Installed XP Home SP2 and used the latest Intel chipset drivers from Intels website. I got one PCI Device that Windows can't install the driver for, here's the info that the Unknown Devices ID program says:
PCI Device
Unknown Device from Micro-Star International Co Ltd (MSI)
Chip: Intel Corporation 82852GM Montara Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A1-step)
Full Details
PNP ID
VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&SUBSYS_72461462&REV_01
Windows Detected Device
PCI Device
Detected Chip Vender
Intel Corporation
Detected Chip
82852GM Montara Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A1-step)
Detected OEM Vender
Micro-Star International Co Ltd (MSI)
Search Results (Internal Stuff)
RPL_GOT_VENDER
RPL_GOT_DEVICE
RPL_GOT_REV
RPL_GOT_OEM_VEN
Is there some driver file on the MSI CD that came with the board that I am missing? Everything seems to be working fine, just trying to knock out this last driver for the customer. TIA!

ir0nw0lf said:
I'm new to working with this board and 975-chipset boards in particular. Installed XP Home SP2 and used the latest Intel chipset drivers from Intels website. I got one PCI Device that Windows can't install the driver for, here's the info that the Unknown Devices ID program says:

Is there some driver file on the MSI CD that came with the board that I am missing? Everything seems to be working fine, just trying to knock out this last driver for the customer. TIA!

Do we really need to install the chipset drivers.

annaconda said:
You bought Corsair C4 right, and what results did you got?

I said so dude, i can't get it to boot at DDR800 4-4-4-12 2.1V, i could only boot with DDR667 5-5-5-18 1.8V.

And yes you need to install the JMicron drivers otherwise you are stuck with PIO mode in the Secondary Ide Channel.

Well i also believe that the problem lies in not being able to set the Command Rate for memory it looks like it's being defaulted to 1T.

To those who tested beta bios, do any bios have this option available?

Back