Old School i7 920 Overclocking question.. Is your OC still going strong?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had a 920 D0 X58 rig for the last couple years and now want to overclock it a bit more. I have been very conservative at 3.2ghz + turbo. Was wondering if any of you guys that a couple years ago had pushed it to 3.6 ghz and beyond like 4.0ghz are still running strong?

Thanks.

Rig in signature will be turning 3 in a couple of months.

While I have been itching to upgrade, an i7 920 @4+ Ghz is still extremely competitive.

I've been running mine for 2years or so now too.
I Started out with 3.2gh, then up to 3.6. then 3.8, then 4.0, now 4.2(for the last 4-5 months)

I ran my 920 @ 4GHz 24-7 for 2.5 years. Never had one issue. I sold it and the board a month ago because I got board.

man all this talk about how old this is, is making my upgrade finger twitch :(

I bought a 920 the day it came out and have been running @ 3.60GHz since day 1. If you have DO stepping (mimes a C0) you should be able to hit 4GHz fairly easily.

I had my i7 920 D0 @ 21 x 195 1.264V stable. Used it like that for 2 years. Never had any issues. Stopped using it because I grabbed the i7 970 for cheap through the intel deal.

Thanks for your input here. You know there are really no long term studies about how long these things last since most of us upgrade to a new chip after two years but what the hell.. What do I have to lose. Going for it!

As long as the chip is run within spec voltage and with good cooling it will last well past the point where the computer itself is a dinosaur.

Had my 920 goin at 3.8 since it first came out and that computer rarely seen a reboot. Jealousy made me upgrade :)

Ran my 920 D0 at 3.8Ghz with HT when I first got it because my motherboard wouldn't let it go any further. A few months later, I upgraded the board and worked up to 4.2ghz with HT (21x200) and it has been there ever since.

I'd like to chime in. I used to be able to OC mine to 4.0GHz with turbo disabled and high voltage. I never liked how hot it was running so I stepped it down to stock speeds and undervolted it quite a bit so the PC would was near-silent. Anyway its been 3 years and in the past coule of days I thought it would be fun to overclock but I cannot get my BCLK stable at anything over 166 MHz for the life of me.

It's not the CPU's fault though, definately the motherboard. I've tested two 32nm Xeons thats also won't go beyond 166 BCLK. Intel DX58SO (thats my mistake right there).

I'd like to chime in. I used to be able to OC mine to 4.0GHz with turbo disabled and high voltage. I never liked how hot it was running so I stepped it down to stock speeds and undervolted it quite a bit so the PC would was near-silent. Anyway its been 3 years and in the past coule of days I thought it would be fun to overclock but I cannot get my BCLK stable at anything over 166 MHz for the life of me.

It's not the CPU's fault though, definately the motherboard. I've tested two 32nm Xeons thats also won't go beyond 166 BCLK. Intel DX58SO (thats my mistake right there).

Yeah Intel motherboards are rock solid, as long as you don't overclock them :p

Was at 3.8ghz on day one, bios updates let me get to 4.0ghz and I've been going strong since December of 09.

Sold my old I7 920 i bought 2 years ago (then bought this 950 I7 for $230!!)

Anyway my co-worker says his 4ghz overclock is still going....so its about 2 1/2 years strong and going.

i7 920 @ 3.8 for 2 years. Can do 4, but I settled on 3.8 (HT on) for 7/24 operating.

Got it up and stable at 3.8 ghz. Going to 4.0 ghz causes BSOD in linx though couple years ago was able to get there no problem. Must be forgetting something..

Mines been running since release 3.9@ 1.21v with a VenomousX 120 (push/pull, pull in the back panel of case and push inline in the front of case in a 5 1/4 bay) on a Rampage II Extreme.

Really been waiting to upgrade but numbers arent really impressing me yet so I went tri-fire 6950's and maybe the new cycle in March will bring some good numbers on cpu/mb/ram combos

My 4.2GHz oc is finally getting unstable, before I could fold@home 24/7 without a bsod, now I'll get some randomly at different intervals

Yeah, from my OCing experiences, the motherboard gets tired before the CPU does. That's why I for one am thankful for multiplier overclocking on Sandi Bridge CPU's

I had mine at 4ghz for about 18 months, but after getting some weird Windows issues (likely unrelated) I dropped it back to 3.8ghz last month. It really didn't affect anything (performance-wise) and it dropped my temps by 15 degrees with Prime95 and Intel Burn Test.
That i7 920 has probably been the best processor value I've ever had. I literally spent $25 for a fan and changed 3-4 BIOS values to boost performance up to the processors that cost about a grand.

The chip I had (up until a recent trade with asuka) was an early C0 stepping, that ran past 4ghz its entire life. It could even hit the 220mhz wall on air cooling. (I miss that chip already lol)

Have had mine @4.0Ghz for 2+ years now. Still very competitive performance wise, just not performance per watt wise. Probably won't be upgrading it any time soon though. Just bought another 6950 to Xfire, so I will be rocking that setup for quite a while.

I haven't done a lot of comparisons - how does the i7 920 compare with some of the newer processors? I know you can overclock them, too...but how does a 920 at 4Ghz compare to the stock Sandy Bridge processors in the mid 3's?

From what I have seen a 4.0Ghz Bloomfield is roughly as fast as a stock i7 2600. Mostly due to the turbo, but even a stock 2600 seems to complete F@H work units about as fast as my 4.0Ghz i7, but it sure uses less power.

Back