OMG!!! Check out my Asus PW201!!!! Pics inside!

That thing is pretty dang sweet man. I think i'll wait till they come down a bit in price thou.

Hey man! that thing looks bad ass. i seen it up at my local tiger direct. and really made me want a 20.1" wide in general lol because of its high price, i got the view sonic VX2025wd instead. but i couldnt be happier. but nice monitor dude. 1680/1050 is unreal in all my games :)

How do you run HDTV?

Do you have a TV Tuner Card?

And if so, do you have to have the special HDTV channels as well?

JonDoms said:
Hmm got any tools to measure it?
Also what screenshots would you like?

I can work on them tonight.

The method I've seen described before is to run a stopwatch on your PC (I found one here: http://www.measureandconvert.com/prod01.htm - set it to run at 100 ticks/second)
You set your video card to output "clone" mode to a CRT as well as the Asus PW201.
You use a digital camera to take repeated pictures of BOTH monitors at the same time (fastest shutter speed possible on your digital camera)
Then you look at the relative time on each picture (CRT versus LCD)
If your shutter speed is high enough you'll see how much lag the LCD is introducing, if any as the LCD will display an 'older' time than the CRT in the pictures you take .
To be safe you can also take some shots with the CRT and LCD swapped at the inputs to eliminate anything related to the video card outputs.

lightsourcex said:
How do you run HDTV?

Do you have a TV Tuner Card?

And if so, do you have to have the special HDTV channels as well?

I have a Fushion HDTV USB tuner. I connect it to my Comcast cable and it tunes in the QAM signal which the HD is transported on. Note not all cable companies let you tune in this way. I know Comcast does. And actually the FCC says they are not supposed to use the 5c flag (which denies you of recording HD onto your PC) on channels that you can get over the air (OTA).

The channels I do get are ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS. Which is fine for me.
I was able to watch some of the world cup in HD!

My man JonDoms, I have a very important question for you.

In this site, http://www.directron.com/pw201.html It says that the Panel Size is 20.1", and it is the only site which i found that thinks like me.
When i looked at your photos, and others websites photos, it's height resembled like a 20.1" LCD screnn, but not it's width, as the speakers seems to be included with the supposedly 20.1" Screen size .

That was obvious when i compared them to photos like the Viewsonic VX2025WM and the BenQ FP202W. Now if I'm right, then i think i would go to my first choice and get the Viewsonic. If i'm wrong, I hope I am, then i'll go right ahead and buy the Asus since a like all the extra features and the glossy panel, and i think they're generally a very solid Taiwanese company, who would've expect, TAIWANESE. Anyways, Thanks Domsy :p hope you get back to me on that.

Dameem said:
My man JonDoms, I have a very important question for you.

In this site, http://www.directron.com/pw201.html It says that the Panel Size is 20.1", and it is the only site which i found that thinks like me.
When i looked at your photos, and others websites photos, it's height resembled like a 20.1" LCD screnn, but not it's width, as the speakers seems to be included with the supposedly 20.1" Screen size .

That was obvious when i compared them to photos like the Viewsonic VX2025WM and the BenQ FP202W.

I used Paint Shop Pro to measure his picture, and the viewable area is exactly 16:10. So I think you're probably mistaken.

I'll go home tonight and measure the screen size for you.
Height x Width plus diagonal.
But I'm pretty sure it is 20.1" b/c it looks as wide as my 24" with the speakers!

Check out this pic (click on it to pwn your 56K):

have you tried the component inputs? im about to buy a whole new setup pc, speakers, xbox360, lcd. and i was thinking running the 360 on the same lcd as my pc anyone done this with this monitor? i know it might be too small but its that or running it in a old 21" crt with white and yellow composite input only..

pd: dont tell me to get a 2407 its has to be 20" and id really prefer widescreen, camera is definitly a plus but built it tv tuner would be better, and the price has to be 400-500.

tnx

Hey, thats my mobile :) Anyway, two weeks ago i got really into LCD's because i want a screen which would fit a document without me zooming in and have to scroll up and down to read the whole page clearly, it's very annoying. I didn't leave a model i didn't see, and i didn't leave a company i didn't call to inquire about how much would a specific screen costs.

Yeah, i hope i'm mistaken, but i don't know, i still have this very teensy weensy feeling that i'm not. Ayway, I'm just gonna have to wait and see.

Umm Well then it all depends on your "document". The resolution is 1680 x 1050. It fits most documents except maybe huge excel spreadsheets.

I'm sure all documents will fit, i'm just afraid that the font is going to appear too small, then i'm just gonna have to do like my current 17"CRT and zoom in to be able to read.

Anyway, I was just curious whether you're going to use like a measuring tape or some type of program. I just discovered "JRuler" and I found it a good program. If you could just use Centimeters both vertical and horizontal to be more precise. I measured my 17"CRT and the size was 27x33cmHxW.

I'm just curious how much difference in cm between mine and the Asus. Thanks again man :p

10 7/8 inches vertically
17 inches horizontally

Thanks Google:
(10 7/8) inches = 27.6225 centimeters
17 inches = 43.18 centimeters

And it is 20.1 inches diagonally!

[CaM]Spoon said:
built in speakers... when will they learn?
Yeah, I find it actually kind of a turnoff when buying a display. Like, if it has integrated speakers, I'm more likely to consider another display over it. It just ekes cheapness.

Man, I know i'm asking alot, but i need one more thing. I am now finally coming to 2 screens, this and the Dell 2405FPW, and I can see you have one. Not a lot, just generally, how would u compare those two as in:
1. Graphics for games, how would both compare to shooters like Unreal Tournament
2. movies
3. changing the aspect ratio and resolution, "1280x1024" would be my choice.

Just generally, what would be the positives and negatives of each screen. Thanks man!!

I don't have the Asus, but I do have a 2405.
I would not recommend it for games or movies. There is pretty bad input lag for any games where timing is critical, such as FPS games and RTS games. It has moderate display ghosting and tearing too. You also need a monster video card setup to run 1920x1200 (I have a single 7800GTX). Playing games at lower resolutions is noticeably worse.
Movies arent great either. The video is super noisy (not input related - I'm connected via DVI). The component and svideo inputs are beyond crappy. Overall I'd say the 2405 is really a professional / web browsing monitor. It is not good for games and movies. Lower resolutions look OK but not great for text, horrible for games because blurring looks even worse than usual.

sethk said:
I don't have the Asus, but I do have a 2405.
I would not recommend it for games or movies. There is pretty bad input lag for any games where timing is critical, such as FPS games and RTS games. It has moderate display ghosting and tearing too. You also need a monster video card setup to run 1920x1200 (I have a single 7800GTX). Playing games at lower resolutions is noticeably worse.
Movies arent great either. The video is super noisy (not input related - I'm connected via DVI). The component and svideo inputs are beyond crappy. Overall I'd say the 2405 is really a professional / web browsing monitor. It is not good for games and movies. Lower resolutions look OK but not great for text, horrible for games because blurring looks even worse than usual.

1. Input lag sucks for games (FPS in particular)
2. Ghosting is very moderate. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.. I only noticed it when I hooked up my SNES and was playing Mario Kart.
3. Tearing is most likely due to your video card settings.
4. Scaling is bad yes. nVidia scaling is notably worse than ATI scaling...but overall it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
5. "Super noisy" video is due to your source. DVD is terrible on it, however HD looks great.

To clear things up, I have owned the 2405 so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Can the ViewSonic 2025 do the same HD on the screen with the regular desktop? Like what is shown in the third picture of the original post.

I don't think i can reply anything useful after what had happened yesterday, for now atleast. I am really depressed and sad, I mean did he had to give him that head bash. Just wanna let you know that I'm really dissapointed. :mad: :mad:

Dameem said:
I don't think i can reply anything useful after what had happened yesterday, for now atleast. I am really depressed and sad, I mean did he had to give him that head bash. Just wanna let you know that I'm really dissapointed. :mad: :mad:
lol, are you talking about the shamrock fight?

Oh for christ's sake man, its soccer. France Vs. Italy, Zidane been given the red card. Gosh. I'm still depressed. That SH**Hea* Materazzi definately said some nasty stuff about his origin or his religion. You can't believe how Materazzi is messed up in the head, just go youtube and write his name. Anyway, this isn't a place for such a talk, but i'm really pissed.

eclipse2006 said:
Can the ViewSonic 2025 do the same HD on the screen with the regular desktop? Like what is shown in the third picture of the original post.

The third pic is a snap of FushionHDTV running on my desktop. It's an application which drives the HDTV USB box Fushion makes. If you buy this or some other HDTV capture card and you are able to get HDTV reception, then yes the viewsonic can display it as long as your processor and video card are up to the task.

Any LCD can display it HDTV. It's just usually scaled. Unless you get the 2405 which it then can show true 1080i. Not much of a difference between 1080i and 1080i scaled to a 1680 x 1050 resolution.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Can you set the panel to aspect mode, 1:1, or full?

Also how much did you pay for it? $450 or $550?

I paid $575 roughly with taxes and picked it up locally.
I don't know if you can put it into 1:1 or Full. What do you mean by that exactly?
Do you mean can I change it to a 4:3 aspect ratio?
I can find that out tonight or you can look on Asus's website maybe.
but I'll flip through the menu tonight to take a peek.

Like can the monitor scale the video no matter what res it is to full screen, 1:1 pixels, or aspect mode like on the Dell 20" & 24" wide screen monitors can.

JohnleMVP said:
Like can the monitor scale the video no matter what res it is to full screen, 1:1 pixels, or aspect mode like on the Dell 20" & 24" wide screen monitors can.
That's a function of the program you use to view your videos.
VLC will scale your HD content to the appropriate size with back bars.
I'm sure you can prolly select full screen mode in VLC.
The res is 1680 x 1050 so you can scale whatever you want to that.

Yeah, but I need the monitor to have video scaling functions for Xbox 360 over VGA and component.

My Dell FPW2005 does it and even does it over DVI which can be nice too because some people with ATI video cards have had problems scaling with certain monitors like the NEC 20"

I am going to get the Acer AL2051W , its also the same panel as the viewsonic 2025wm but with glossy screen. Its also about $350. I wouldn't pay more than that for a 20" lcd. ~ $600 or more for a 20" screen is unreasonable to me.

Modern consoles will have VGA connections so the extra connectors aren't that necessary. The black levels and saturation on most lcd's at non-native resolutions suck for consoles anyway. If I need tv input badly I can always get my own tv tuner or video capture card, or just use my real HDTV. Svideo is crap for my purposes too, so I'd rather just have a nice monitor for a more reasonable price for 20" ($350 for the AL2051W, or sub-$300 for the viewsonic 2025wm). I don't need to pay +$200 more than the acer (or $250+ more than the viewsonic) for a few extra inputs and a sub-par webcam.

Consoles and DVD playback isn't that great scaled up to full screen on these panels. HTPC upconverting dvd playback with FDDshow can help alittle though. HDTV would probably be decent, but would be better off having a HDMI input instead of all those other inputs for that purpose. The current crop of HDTV's have alot more contrast than these monitors by the way. DLPs for example now have 10,000:1 contrast ratio, while these monitors have 800:1

JohnleMVP said:
Yeah, but I need the monitor to have video scaling functions for Xbox 360 over VGA and component.

My Dell FPW2005 does it and even does it over DVI which can be nice too because some people with ATI video cards have had problems scaling with certain monitors like the NEC 20"

Ok I played with the panel and there is NO ability to change the aspect ratio within the panel.
My 2405 which can be set to 1600 x 1200 or something like that.

Wow, I'm really lazy! I didn't know they had glossy monitors yet :p That looks amazing, I'll have to check some out for sure! Thanks man.

Nice review, JonDoms. However i've read that viewing angles are very bad. PC World scores viewing angle at 91.3º. Behardware says: "the surface treatment chosen by Asus considerably reduces viewing angles compared to other P-MVA mat panels."

It doesnt look very good. :(

^^Hater

The viewing angles are fine. Who fucking sits to the side to use the fucking monitor. Moron.
Don't crap on my thread b/c you have an infurior monitor. E-Penis + 11lventy billion!

meganpepi said:
Just some info I thought I'd share in case you haven't come across it before. A quick way of working out the panel used in a monitor is to do a google search and type the model name of the monitor along with the panel you think has been used. You must mention the word "panel" eg. To find out the panel for the Asus LCD we're referring to I'd type the words: Asus PW201 MVA panel and do a google search. If I thought it were an AUO panel I'd type: Asus PW201 AUO panel. Even if you pick the wrong panel you will find out the correct panel when you do the search. I hope this all makes sense - it's way past bed time!
It's not always that simple...in another thread there was a debate about the panel used in the Acer Ferrari F-20, either a P-MVA or S-IPS. Widescreengaming forum and tftcentral believe its S-IPS yet other monitor focused sites say P-MVA. A google search brings up about the same number of references to both technologies when talking about the F-20 so who knows? I wish manufacturers would go ahead and list that as part of the detailed specs...

edit- to add to the confusion LG/Phillips makes a P-MVA and an S-IPS panel with the exact same specs..

joemama said:
It's not always that simple...in another thread there was a debate about the panel used in the Acer Ferrari F-20, either a P-MVA or S-IPS. Widescreengaming forum and tftcentral believe its S-IPS yet other monitor focused sites say P-MVA. A google search brings up about the same number of references to both technologies when talking about the F-20 so who knows? I wish manufacturers would go ahead and list that as part of the detailed specs...

edit- to add to the confusion LG/Phillips makes a P-MVA and an S-IPS panel with the exact same specs..

LG-Phillips does not P-MVA. MVA is an AUO technology. Just like PVA is Samsung Technology and IPS is a Phillips-Technology. And then everyone makes TN panels.

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp

meganpepi said:
Just some info I thought I'd share in case you haven't come across it before. A quick way of working out the panel used in a monitor is to do a google search and type the model name of the monitor along with the panel you think has been used. You must mention the word "panel" eg. To find out the panel for the Asus LCD we're referring to I'd type the words: Asus PW201 MVA panel and do a google search. If I thought it were an AUO panel I'd type: Asus PW201 AUO panel. Even if you pick the wrong panel you will find out the correct panel when you do the search. I hope this all makes sense - it's way past bed time!

Or you could use a real panel search engine.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

travbomb said:
Or you could use a real panel search engine.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
That's my point..you put "F-20" in that search engine you get P-MVA, however if you use the one on tftcentral you get S-IPS. Doing a google search with "F-20 P-MVA" or "F-20 S-IPS" will both get you results talking about the F-20 monitor. Who is correct?

edit- You are correct that LG/Phillips don't make the P-MVA but what I meant is that LG/Phillips make a S-IPS panel with the exact same specs as the panel used in the F-20 and also the Viewsonic VX2025MW which is known to be P-MVA for certain.

JonDoms said:
^^Hater

The viewing angles are fine. Who fucking sits to the side to use the fucking monitor. Moron.
Don't crap on my thread b/c you have an infurior monitor. E-Penis + 11lventy billion!

Give information about a product is "crap on your thread"?

WTF :mad:

joemama said:
That's my point..you put "F-20" in that search engine you get P-MVA, however if you use the one on tftcentral you get S-IPS. Doing a google search with "F-20 P-MVA" or "F-20 S-IPS" will both get you results talking about the F-20 monitor. Who is correct?

edit- You are correct that LG/Phillips don't make the P-MVA but what I meant is that LG/Phillips make a S-IPS panel with the exact same specs as the panel used in the F-20 and also the Viewsonic VX2025MW which is known to be P-MVA for certain.

I am going to guess that the F-20 originally used the S-IPS but was switched to P-MVA. Thats the only conclusion I can come to.

Also does anyone know which of the three 20 inch wides they still make. I htink someone was saying they stopped making the 2051?

Back