OMG!!! Check out my Asus PW201!!!! Pics inside!

The ASUS is a nice display and I had looked at it, I just don't enjoy working on glossy screens... Enjoy tho.

travbomb said:
I am going to guess that the F-20 originally used the S-IPS but was switched to P-MVA. Thats the only conclusion I can come to.

Also does anyone know which of the three 20 inch wides they still make. I htink someone was saying they stopped making the 2051?
Well, the Acer UK site lists the panel technology for all the lcds and it says the F-20 is "Super-IPS" http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page...Param=UK&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=290315009 Unless they're pulling a Dell and switching panels without changing model numbers then I don't know. Isn't the 2051W a new model? I know that I was told by Acer on the phone that the AL2032W (black/silver version of the F-20) was discontinued when I was trying to locate a seller.

Man this look nice. A bit pricy and would prefer not having the webcam and speaker.

Well, since this thread's been resurrected, I actually bought one of these the other day. $799 Australian from Clive Anthony's - probably the cheapest you can get it over here. So far, I'm really impressed. The colours look great - they're bright, saturated etc., though I'm certainly no expert and so I couldn't tell you how accurate they are (I played around with Adobe Gamma until I got the levels to my liking, but I haven't done any calibration other than that). Black levels are also very good, to my eyes.

I haven't had much time to try it for anything other than internet stuff and word processing yet, but the games I tried quickly looked much better than my laptop screen - colours were deeper, and I noticed no lag or ghosting at all. Though I'm not a hardcore gamer, the BeHardware review that was done a while back featuring this monitor seemed to indicate that ghosting was almost nonexistent here - which is surprising considering that the monitor is supposed to be 8ms GTG.

I plugged my computer in through VGA as well and it looks excellent - could barely tell the difference between it and DVI, which I'm guessing is a good thing. The main reason I chose this monitor over the Dell (besides the problems I've heard about it) is that it's pretty much the only 20 inch that I've seen with component inputs (the NEC over here in Australia is DVI and VGA only), and I'm getting a 360 for my birthday so I'm hoping to try them out then. I might end up using VGA instead anyway, but if the inputs are good quality then the colour quality should be better. I guess this is a bit of a gamble since I haven't seen anyone talk about them, but I guess I'll find out. I might post some pics when I do!

Finally with the good things, viewing angles are nowhere near as bad as I expected. I sit pretty much in front of the monitor anyway, but when it's turned to the side, the colours still look pretty great - certainly at the angles I'd be likely to use.

Only a few minor issues so far...

- While the glossy screen doesn't bother me (in fact, I think it makes colours look better, but that might just be me), in relatively bright situations you can certainly see your reflection whenever you're looking at something black. For me, this is not distracting at all and I don't even notice it, so it's no problem. For others, however, it may be.

- The monitor is sexy and all, but whoever thought of using heat-sensitive buttons should be shot. Half of them don't respond properly and I spend ages frantically trying to get them to work. Fortunately you don't have to use them that often.

- Speaker quality is crap (almost nonexistent bass), but we all knew that. Fortunately they still fit in well with the design, so it's not really an issue...and you can use the headphone jack on the side for much better quality.

- There's banding on any 'SPLENDID' mode other than standard, but it seems like most monitors suffer from this problem. The best part is that standard mode looks far better than any of the others anyway. There may be some minor banding in standard (I'm not too sure - there are kind of little blocks very close to one another, evenly spaced, that aren't noticeable from a distance; I've read that these AREN'T banding anyway so it's probably no issue).

And...um, that's all I can think of. I haven't seen that many other monitors, but after a lot of reading and fretting I decided on this one and, so far, I couldn't be happier. Highly recommended - especially at only $100 (Australian) more than the Dell. I have no idea why more people haven't bought one!

If anyone has any questions, time permitting, I'll be happy to answer them if you tell me how...I don't know that much about the technical side of things, but I'll try to help as much as possible! :)

satchi said:
Get rid of the speakers and the stupid camera and I'm sold ! :p
I agree..unnecessary add-ons that just jack up the price. Very nice monitor otherwise though..

Back