Opinion on Rosewill

Kyle once came in here saying something like that.

His ultra blew out his mobo/cpu/video card a week later, IIRC.

Return the psu? Sure. But what do you do about the blown parts? You think that Rosewill or any of the other cheap people are going to help you?

G'luck with that. ;)

You pay insurance (and buy nice PSU's) for when things break: You rarely hear about a PCP&C taking out a whole system, and when it does, they replace the parts.

As I said, common sense should be used. I'm not advocating people to buy the cheapest power supplies they can buy. I'm just saying that a lot of the stuff being said about some companies in here is a load of shit. Just because a PSU doesn't have a 2 lb heatsink in it or over-spec parts doesn't necessarily mean it's a piece of junk. And just because people on here stress test the PSU and it blows up doesn't mean that it will blow up if you plug it into a normal computer doing normal tasks.

Rosewill is garbage and their customer service is worse. Ordered a Rosewill case + PSU from newegg that had a 24 pin ATX connector. Ordered the same exact case 3 weeks later for a different build and the PSU had a 20 pin !

Rosewill was most unhelpful. Wouldn't cross ship. Told me if I sent it to them, they'd need to send it to China for bench testing and it could take weeks to get an RMA authorization. WTF the thing was missing the 4 pin ATX power extension and they need to send it to China?

Shipped that POS back to newegg and got a refund. Generic PC parts are not worth the money saved. People ask me to build them systems- now they pay for the parts I use. :rolleyes:

Rosewill is a top secret technology manufactured by martians. It is common that people who have been abducted by aliens ussually return to earth with a unit embedded in their ass. Hehe.

To be honest I like the idea that the [H]ardware I buy is "designed" and also usually tested not just by a quality control department, but also by hardware sites that know better. Yes I consider [H] to be well informed individuals when it comes to what is good. Also am willing to pay more for it. Rosewill might be an "OK to good" power supply, but until someone knowledgeable uses it, and gives it the ok, I'm going to buy something else.

I guess I thought that most here read the reviews, or at least conclusions for the goods we buy. And yes there was a time when I bought cheap $hit. I rolled the dice and was ok with a complete system failure if it were to arise. What was I going to loose? $300? Pffff! No Big deal. But now that I have a budget of $1000 or so (maybe up to $2000), I will not cut corners. Please show me a good review of an ultra or rosewill...etc and I will be ok with that. Otherwise your asking me to roll the dice on something I spent a lot on. Can't do it. ALIENS ARE REAL!!!

SAYS IT ALL.....

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=48

Final thoughts:

The Rosewill RP500-2 is a real eye opener. Here we have this much maligned PSU brand that everyone automatically writes off as sheer crapola that is actually kicking ass and taking names. True, Rosewill is hit and miss with their choice of OEM's but it looks like when they hit they hit like the old George Foreman! This is a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure. I walked into this expecting to finally have the pleasure of letting the magic blue smoke out of something but to my surprise and delight I've discovered a hidden gem instead. This PSU is nothing short of "The Budget PSU" as long as you take care to keep it in a well vented system. It could be a little prettier at added cost and it'd still be one helluva value. That said, it really needs to jump fully into the 21st century and get with the SATA program. It's here to stay folks, might as well make things easy for us to use it.

Nice OCC_Yoda! Very good on the info. Now that is a power suppy I can recommend for the right system. I might have been wrong about the Alien thing. :D

Rosewill is garbage and their customer service is worse. Ordered a Rosewill case + PSU from newegg that had a 24 pin ATX connector. Ordered the same exact case 3 weeks later for a different build and the PSU had a 20 pin !

Rosewill was most unhelpful. Wouldn't cross ship. Told me if I sent it to them, they'd need to send it to China for bench testing and it could take weeks to get an RMA authorization. WTF the thing was missing the 4 pin ATX power extension and they need to send it to China?

Shipped that POS back to newegg and got a refund. Generic PC parts are not worth the money saved. People ask me to build them systems- now they pay for the parts I use. :rolleyes:

Now we get a true story. THIS is what you get when you go cheap. Spend a bit more on something else.

SAYS IT ALL.....

http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=48

Final thoughts:

The Rosewill RP500-2 is a real eye opener. Here we have this much maligned PSU brand that everyone automatically writes off as sheer crapola that is actually kicking ass and taking names. True, Rosewill is hit and miss with their choice of OEM's but it looks like when they hit they hit like the old George Foreman! This is a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure. I walked into this expecting to finally have the pleasure of letting the magic blue smoke out of something but to my surprise and delight I've discovered a hidden gem instead. This PSU is nothing short of "The Budget PSU" as long as you take care to keep it in a well vented system. It could be a little prettier at added cost and it'd still be one helluva value. That said, it really needs to jump fully into the 21st century and get with the SATA program. It's here to stay folks, might as well make things easy for us to use it.

Nice, so they have ~one~ good model. Any more Johnny Guru reviews for them? Doubt it, sadly, and they are "hit or miss" as people say.

I'd rather not miss; I'll buy somewhere else.

Now we get a true story. THIS is what you get when you go cheap. Spend a bit more on something else.

Nice, so they have ~one~ good model. Any more Johnny Guru reviews for them? Doubt it, sadly, and they are "hit or miss" as people say.

Sorry but you're so far off base it's pathetic. That NewEgg review you quoted was of a case with bundled PSU. There's no telling who makes those and as everyone here knows a bundled PSU is nothing more than a paperweight except in a few rare cases. Hell, even Enermax bundles some strange POS power supply with their cases. Trying to use that as a justification for your bias is laughable at best.

If you don't like them more power to you, I'm not going to tell you to buy one but I'm not going to automatically start telling people to avoid them at all costs when they bring them up either. As to me or Jon reviewing more Rosewills, I'd more than willing to test their entire lineup but sadly I don't have the cash to expend buying them all. Hopefully that'll change soon enough.

Never let the facts get between you and a good rant LOL :D

The RP500-2 is simply phenomenal in its performance. The voltages and the ripple on the other hand are just...wow! The 12V rails saw literally no droop in the hotbox and the ripple was just fantastic. I wish that every PSU out there could put out voltage this steady and this clean. Yes, the PF and efficiency aren't the greatest but they're right in line with any other non APFC power supply out there. Also, 500W isn't really all too much power, so this isn't a PSU for a high end SLI machine (7800/7900 SLI and up) but would be perfect for a tight PC with a single 8800GTS or a couple 6800GT cards. That said I'm awarding the RP500-2 a near perfect 8.5/10, if it had APFC and better efficiency, it would certainly score higher. Probably even a 9.5.​

Super performer, superior, no less, to PSU's costing twice as much.​

Sorry but you're so far off base it's pathetic. That NewEgg review you quoted was of a case with bundled PSU. There's no telling who makes those and as everyone here knows a bundled PSU is nothing more than a paperweight except in a few rare cases. Hell, even Enermax bundles some strange POS power supply with their cases. Trying to use that as a justification for your bias is laughable at best.

If you don't like them more power to you, I'm not going to tell you to buy one but I'm not going to automatically start telling people to avoid them at all costs when they bring them up either. As to me or Jon reviewing more Rosewills, I'd more than willing to test their entire lineup but sadly I don't have the cash to expend buying them all. Hopefully that'll change soon enough.

I quoted no review. :confused:

However, I'm to expect that Rosewill uses a different RMA / Tech support for their built-in PSU's vs. their ones sold in a retail box? Now THATS completely off base.

Never let the facts get between you and a good rant LOL :D

The RP500-2 is simply phenomenal in its performance. The voltages and the ripple on the other hand are just...wow! The 12V rails saw literally no droop in the hotbox and the ripple was just fantastic. I wish that every PSU out there could put out voltage this steady and this clean. Yes, the PF and efficiency aren't the greatest but they're right in line with any other non APFC power supply out there. Also, 500W isn't really all too much power, so this isn't a PSU for a high end SLI machine (7800/7900 SLI and up) but would be perfect for a tight PC with a single 8800GTS or a couple 6800GT cards. That said I'm awarding the RP500-2 a near perfect 8.5/10, if it had APFC and better efficiency, it would certainly score higher. Probably even a 9.5.​

Super performer, superior, no less, to PSU's costing twice as much.​

Like I said: They've got a solid model.

1. We don't know anything about their others yet. So there's one model we'll recommend, the rest are a total unknown. All that we know is that ANTG used to make crappy models, yes? Do we therefore assume that they've magically stepped up to the plate for everything that Rosewill has, OR do we assume that they might not have? We have ~no~ facts concerning the other models. None whatsoever.

2. I've mostly been talking about tech support. We have one story here from a member, and NONE of you are willing to respond to it, it seems. I've had to deal with Seasonic support before, and even once with PCP&C, and with Corsair several times. Every experience was positive. I'd call the rosewill experience posted here as far from positive, if it ever breaks.

So tell me: Why has not a single person responded to my Tech/RMA comment yet?

I had a Rosewill 500w (black, aluminum case, good voltage ratings) and it was marginally acceptable for a 7900GT....even though it met the official specs needed to run my new 8800GTS....it wouldn't. Crash, crash, and crash, not to mention a squealing under load.

Spend a few more bucks and get something better for sure.....it would be OK for a cheap system with no large loads, but for a peformance user, overclocker, etc., it's a negatory.

My bad, the post you quoted looked like it was from a Newegg review. This thread has blosomed so fast since it died out last that I literally read it one day and came back the next and it suddenly gained nearly 10 posts in just as many hours. I'd missed that post as I hadn't scrolled up that far. But that's beside the point, he's trying to RMA a part with nothing wrong with it...wtf do you think they're going to do? Yeah, so he got one with a 20 pin PSU, it could be old stock that Newegg never rotated out. That's in no way Rosewill's fault. I know if I took that call I'd have been like "Yeah sure, I'll send you a new PSU once I see that there's a real problem with yours. Oh, it works OK? It's missing 4 pins? Did they fall off? Oh they weren't there to begin with? So, it's an older part and there's not really anything wrong with it then..."

Still not a good reason to smear them. You want to hear shitty tech support? I'll tell you shitty tech support...I've got a Gigafast 802.11G USB dongle. Recently it goes all pear shaped and starts kicking me off the 'net every five minutes or so. I check their website...24/7 tech support they say so I call. Get a recording saying they're tied up, leave my name, number, model number and issue and they'll call back. After a week with no call I call 'em back and get a "Voicemail box full" message and then it gives the option to input my number for a page and callback. I leave it and after another week I try again. This time I sit on hold for ten minutes with a recording promising me that I'm next. After ten minutes I get the voicemail again. I left a voicemail telling them they're asshats that have the worst tech support I've ever seen. Now, that is bad tech support. Someone balking about RMA'ing a working part hardly qualifies as bad.

I quoted no review. :confused:

However, I'm to expect that Rosewill uses a different RMA / Tech support for their built-in PSU's vs. their ones sold in a retail box? Now THATS completely off base.

No. But am I to expect Rosewill uses a different RMA/Tech support system for Rosewill then for anything else Newegg sells. After all Rosewill == Newegg.

I've mostly been talking about tech support. We have one story here from a member, and NONE of you are willing to respond to it, it seems. I've had to deal with Seasonic support before, and even once with PCP&C, and with Corsair several times. Every experience was positive. I'd call the rosewill experience posted here as far from positive, if it ever breaks.

Not sure. Newegg is usually so praised for having the most 133t hax0r raaaaaaarrrr support EVAR that I can't believe they'd diss you for a measly Rosewill power supply.

Like I said: They've got a solid model.

1. We don't know anything about their others yet. So there's one model we'll recommend, the rest are a total unknown. All that we know is that ANTG used to make crappy models, yes? Do we therefore assume that they've magically stepped up to the plate for everything that Rosewill has, OR do we assume that they might not have? We have ~no~ facts concerning the other models. None whatsoever.

2. I've mostly been talking about tech support. We have one story here from a member, and NONE of you are willing to respond to it, it seems. I've had to deal with Seasonic support before, and even once with PCP&C, and with Corsair several times. Every experience was positive. I'd call the rosewill experience posted here as far from positive, if it ever breaks.

I haven't responded to your Tech/RMA concern because my Rosewill RP500-2 is solid as a rock and I don't see an RMA in the future either :D So there is nothing for me to comment on, I guess.

But as for your earlier question: Corsair does not cross-ship either I have had to deal with their shitty PROMOS based RAM that went defective and the remedy was go back to Newegg and get my money back. And if you buy a Rosewell from them the first year you're covered by Newegg, the 2nd and 3rd year by the manufacturer.

And neither Corsair nor any other company to my knowledge promises to replace your system if their power supply fails and takes out your motherboard. So if you want to buy a $200 PCP&C 510W supply or a $48 Rosewill RP500-2 is up to you and it's not my job to tell you how to spend your cash.

Sounds to mke like lopoetve is on a personnal rant.......ahem...

Albeit Rosewall as a brand is not a teir 1 brand; its not exactly a generic brand such as OKIA or others.

Personnal rants aside....a smear campaign is totally out of order...

:D

No. But am I to expect Rosewill uses a different RMA/Tech support system for Rosewill then for anything else Newegg sells. After all Rosewill == Newegg.

Not sure. Newegg is usually so praised for having the most 133t hax0r raaaaaaarrrr support EVAR that I can't believe they'd diss you for a measly Rosewill power supply.

So far, from what i've heard, yes, they do: You deal with ANTG instad of Newegg, or something functionally equivalent.

My bad, the post you quoted looked like it was from a Newegg review. This thread has blosomed so fast since it died out last that I literally read it one day and came back the next and it suddenly gained nearly 10 posts in just as many hours. I'd missed that post as I hadn't scrolled up that far. But that's beside the point, he's trying to RMA a part with nothing wrong with it...wtf do you think they're going to do? Yeah, so he got one with a 20 pin PSU, it could be old stock that Newegg never rotated out. That's in no way Rosewill's fault. I know if I took that call I'd have been like "Yeah sure, I'll send you a new PSU once I see that there's a real problem with yours. Oh, it works OK? It's missing 4 pins? Did they fall off? Oh they weren't there to begin with? So, it's an older part and there's not really anything wrong with it then..."

Still not a good reason to smear them. You want to hear shitty tech support? I'll tell you shitty tech support...I've got a Gigafast 802.11G USB dongle. Recently it goes all pear shaped and starts kicking me off the 'net every five minutes or so. I check their website...24/7 tech support they say so I call. Get a recording saying they're tied up, leave my name, number, model number and issue and they'll call back. After a week with no call I call 'em back and get a "Voicemail box full" message and then it gives the option to input my number for a page and callback. I leave it and after another week I try again. This time I sit on hold for ten minutes with a recording promising me that I'm next. After ten minutes I get the voicemail again. I left a voicemail telling them they're asshats that have the worst tech support I've ever seen. Now, that is bad tech support. Someone balking about RMA'ing a working part hardly qualifies as bad.

No worries, I was just mighty confused. The thing is, having dealt with PCP&C and others, I know that they'd be willing to cross-ship the parts as needed. Heck, i've seen PCP&C custom make harnesses when something didn't reach. That's service, and having dealt with enough crap from things going wrong, I'd rather get something from a company that's parts are all the same and do more work when things go wrong.

Don't get me started on Gigafast... I'd tell you what one of their dongles looks like after it's been hit with a .50 cal... but, well, we still can't find any parts of it.

Sounds to mke like lopoetve is on a personnal rant.......ahem...

Albeit Rosewall as a brand is not a teir 1 brand; its not exactly a generic brand such as OKIA or others.

Personnal rants aside....a smear campaign is totally out of order...

:D

hardly. I'm just old and crochity and tired of crappy parts.

We all assumed ultra would be good: turned out only a few parts were, after a bunch of systems blew up. Same with the original OCZ parts. Why trust a company early on before it's proven long-term? All it does is seem to cost us parts.

So far, from what i've heard, yes, they do: You deal with ANTG instad of Newegg, or something functionally equivalent.

That would be odd since only two of their units are made by ATNG. Others are made by Youngyear, Wintech and Solytech.

I still don't know... when you look at the "RMA procedure" on Rosewill.com, it's the same as Newegg's after where it says, "Please contact your vendors or retailers for RMA procedure" and even says "Please provide...Newegg Invoice No./Date" as one of the prerequisites for returning an item.

Did you email [email protected] or is another email address provided in the documentation included with the PSU?

I believe an email to rma@rosewill does the same thing as an email to rma@newegg. At least both servers are in the same room.

Kyle once came in here saying something like that.

His ultra blew out his mobo/cpu/video card a week later, IIRC.

Actually, I think that's an inaccurate statement. AFAIK, the PSU just died and that was it. I remember the thread and I don't recall mention of destroyed mobo, CPU, video card, etc.

I gotta agree with madmat here. I did a search through this forum for Rosewill threads and the vast majority of posts are people with no actual experience with Rosewill PSUs who are just jumping on the bandwagon bagging them. If you put this thing through a review like johnny would do with numbers as above, the price, the silence, nice cabling, etc. it would end up with a pretty good rating. And there is a distinct lack of evidence that a large number of these fail prematurely from this forum as well as Newegg reviews compared to many other "bad" units that have been criticized here.

If you actually look through the Newegg reviews for all the non-value series Rosewill PSU's rather than the 3 rants here, you'd notice that 6 out of the 8 models have 5 star ratings and the other two have 4 stars. This is not based on 5 reviewers over 2 months but cumulative over 300 reviews since early 2006. If you're comparing numbers, these match pretty closely or better than FSP or Sparkle and is much better than most brands Newegg offers.

They do not make their own PSU's but they apparently do a decent job rebadging others'. You could compare them to the rebadged CWT's with the frail Fuh caps that Antec uses in their Smartpower series versus Nuuo, Xclio, Hiper. The Snartpowers are crap as we all know from previous threads based on REAL forum member experiences versus speculation but the same problems are lacking for Nuuo, Xclio, and Hiper-made units.

The Stallion, Performance, and Turbo series all have 3 year warranties, near stellar reviews from ACTUAL users, and from Madmat's test actually perform well under stress. With a distinct lack of true evidence proving they have poor longterm reliability, I wouldn't have any problem recommending them for anyone looking for a ~$50 range PSU. No one's saying they're better than >$100 Seasonic or PCP&C units, but I'd like to see more facts than opinions here.

BTW, I've actually used at least 8 Rosewill PSU's that I can remember and probably a few that I don't recall. The only one that's blown in the past 2-3 years is a 350W Value series that was ~$20 and powering something it shoulda never touched. My main computers are powered by Tagan, Seasonic, and an X-finity; but plenty of friends and family members who were looking for a decent budget option have been running fine on Rosewills for me. I've just ordered one of their new 450W Stallion series PSU's that I was debating between that or a 350W FSP at the same price point -- the Stallion has a longer warranty and at least rated higher capacity so I gave it a try. Doubt I'll be disappointed.

You can count me (and quote me) as a person with a Rosewill 550W, modular PSU that blew up in 5 days.Rosewill PSUs are just plain awful. No no no.

You can count me (and quote me) as a person with a Rosewill 550W, modular PSU that blew up in 5 days.Rosewill PSUs are just plain awful. No no no.

Yeah. It's really a luck of the draw. The 550W modular is one I'm interested in and I'm going to send one to madmat to review.

On the surface, it says it's a 550W and it seems to be made by Wintech. Ok.. not bad. But then you look at the combined 12V rail and realize that it's not even as much as other Wintech based 550's... or 500's. Can we say 450W? Hmm.... where'd they pull that extra 100W out of? :D

Yeah. It's really a luck of the draw. The 550W modular is one I'm interested in and I'm going to send one to madmat to review.

On the surface, it says it's a 550W and it seems to be made by Wintech. Ok.. not bad. But then you look at the combined 12V rail and realize that it's not even as much as other Wintech based 550's... or 500's. Can we say 450W? Hmm.... where'd they pull that extra 100W out of? :D
I don't know where they got 550W from, but it died in a box that wasn't even overclocked, with nothing more powerful than a 6800GT and 3 hard drives :eek:. I would *think* it could handle that, but no, it failed in 5 days, and took out one of my drives on the way down.

I had a Rosewill 500w (black, aluminum case, good voltage ratings) and it was marginally acceptable for a 7900GT....even though it met the official specs needed to run my new 8800GTS....it wouldn't. Crash, crash, and crash, not to mention a squealing under load.

Spend a few more bucks and get something better for sure.....it would be OK for a cheap system with no large loads, but for a peformance user, overclocker, etc., it's a negatory.

That's a wise choice :) None of the people here who have experience with the mid-grade Rosewills will recommend using them with $400 video cards and overclocked quad-cores. Your previous system was far from weak, actually well above average and the Rosewill seemed to handle it fine. I think your definition of "cheap" is also much different than the average definition of cheap if you're considering something like a Venice + 7900GT + 1 gig type of system to be low end.

If I send you $55 via Paypal will you buy an RD500, test it, and send it back to me? I'm building a few more systems within the next month so I'll be needing some more PSU's anyways. You would just lose the $7 shipping to get it to me when you're done with it unless you blow it up and need to RMA it :) This would save me the trouble of buying it to my address, mailing it to you, then getting it mailed back.

That would be odd since only two of their units are made by ATNG. Others are made by Youngyear, Wintech and Solytech.

I still don't know... when you look at the "RMA procedure" on Rosewill.com, it's the same as Newegg's after where it says, "Please contact your vendors or retailers for RMA procedure" and even says "Please provide...Newegg Invoice No./Date" as one of the prerequisites for returning an item.

Did you email [email protected] or is another email address provided in the documentation included with the PSU?

I believe an email to rma@rosewill does the same thing as an email to rma@newegg. At least both servers are in the same room.

Actually, I think that's an inaccurate statement. AFAIK, the PSU just died and that was it. I remember the thread and I don't recall mention of destroyed mobo, CPU, video card, etc.

Youngyear (IIRC) was on the PSU to avoid list for a long time?

I didn't RMA the rosewill we had die: I bought a nice Antec to replace it instead. Didn't want another one back. Ask the guy who RMA'ed his

I remember the thread well; I'm 99% positive that it damaged at least one part.

So why are we recommending them? :confused:

We aren't recommending it, I'm recommending the RP series OEM'ed by ATNG. As I said before I'd love to give them all the big hairy eyeball but at present I can't afford to do so. When I have the disposable income to throw at it though I will.

My whole point is just don't apply a blanket statement that "Rosewill's are garbage" because as I found out to my chagrin they're not.

I've seen people doing that with Ultra units and that's the biggest mistake I've seen to date. Yes, the X-Connect had some issues but that was then. Now they've got a very solid lineup that just keeps getting better and better. The X-Pro line for example is one of the best kept secrets in computing today. But if you're paranoid about trusting Ultra based on the failure of one series of power supplies then that's your prerogative. It just means that I can steer someone else to them and they can buy your share instead ;)

Just to clarify: The RP500-2 that I own and that you gave a 8.5 rating to is made by ATNG. And is the other one by ATNG this RP550-2? Because it looks almost identical to my RP500-2. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817182017

All you have to do is look at the UL and cross reference that with the UL database:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/SMPS_UL.htm

I don't know where they got 550W from, but it died in a box that wasn't even overclocked, with nothing more powerful than a 6800GT and 3 hard drives :eek:. I would *think* it could handle that, but no, it failed in 5 days, and took out one of my drives on the way down.

I would be more inclined to think you just got a defective unit with that build. I certainly wouldn't say that a failure of that 550W, even if it is a just 450W, would be consistant with the build quality of that unit. Something built like a Powmax or Deer.... yeah, I'd tend to agree with you.

But a customer with one failure doesn't make an entire product line "bad." If that were true, I would take the "don't buy an Antec you'll regret it" thread more seriously. If you had done the RMA and the second one was dead or died, I'd be more inclined to think, "man, these suck" but after losing a hard drive, I wouldn't expect you to take the chance either. ;)

If I send you $55 via Paypal will you buy an RD500, test it, and send it back to me? I'm building a few more systems within the next month so I'll be needing some more PSU's anyways. You would just lose the $7 shipping to get it to me when you're done with it unless you blow it up and need to RMA it :) This would save me the trouble of buying it to my address, mailing it to you, then getting it mailed back.

Look at the UL on the label and cross reference it:

Youngyear (IIRC) was on the PSU to avoid list for a long time?

I didn't RMA the rosewill we had die: I bought a nice Antec to replace it instead. Didn't want another one back. Ask the guy who RMA'ed his

I remember the thread well; I'm 99% positive that it damaged at least one part.

Youngyear is, but they're not all made by Youngyear. I think that's the point Matt and I are trying to make. You just look at the UL, cross reference and you know who made the unit:

You bought a "nice Antec" yet there's a whole other thread here about how "you shouldn't buy an Antec or you'll regret it."

See the irony in that? ;)

We're not. We're recommending that people do their research and truly realize what they're buying by investigating the unit you're getting and finding out who the OEM is:

I have absolutely no ties with Newegg or Rosewill. In fact, unlike most of the fan boys here, I DON'T do most of my shopping there. But I do feel it's unfair to any company to judge them on one product or even one experience. Companies do not get their kicks from knowingly selling defective merchandise that's going to damage other components in their wake. Unless there a mini-cam in the box somewhere linked up to an office in Asia where a bunch of guys are drinking Sake and screaming "you got PUNKED!!!!"

Well, I'd be happy to do that if I had a PayPal account but at present I do not nor do I have a bank account. I'm currently getting back on my feet after over 3 years with no income so it's a slow process (painful too).

Jeezus this is getting funnier by the minute, now the same guy who has been ragging on Rosewill products all along wants some other nice folks to pre-test Rosewell power supplies for him free of charge (and pay his shipping costs, no less :rolleyes: ), so he can build PC's with them & resell them for a profit.

Nice.

This thread has reached the height of jack-assery. Adios, amigos.

I would be more inclined to think you just got a defective unit with that build. I certainly wouldn't say that a failure of that 550W, even if it is a just 450W, would be consistant with the build quality of that unit. Something built like a Powmax or Deer.... yeah, I'd tend to agree with you.

But a customer with one failure doesn't make an entire product line "bad." If that were true, I would take the "don't buy an Antec you'll regret it" thread more seriously. If you had done the RMA and the second one was dead or died, I'd be more inclined to think, "man, these suck" but after losing a hard drive, I wouldn't expect you to take the chance either. ;)

You would be absolutely correct in your suspicions that I will not put another one in after a drive died. Thankfully it was a data backup drive, but it could have just as easily taken a few more with it (which is why I have backups in the first place). Sorry, I won't be buying anymore Rosewill power supplies.

Is it overstating to say that they suck? Perhaps, but when a PSU dies and takes hardware with it, it is clearly not providing adequate, clean power and harshes on the rest of the equipment that it *didn't* kill, and Newegg didn't replace my drive. To be fair, only much higher priced units have that sort of guarantee, but that really doesn't make me feel too much better about the situation. There are far better bargain brands to pick than a Rosewill, and honestly, Newegg isn't the best place in the world to buy power supplies from either. For most things, yes I do shop there. For power supplies, I have learned to shop elsewhere as you can get a lot more for your money. Directron springs to mind as an excellent place to get power supplies from.

"This thread has reached the height of jack-assery. Adios, amigos."

Hehe. Yes JACK_ASSERY!

1. a male donkey.
2. a contemptibly foolish or stupid person; dolt; blockhead; ass.

I too sometimes prefer jackassery. Like when I complement someone on their phone. "Thats a nice raspberry!" Or when I make a left hand turn from the right lane.:rolleyes: :D

You would be absolutely correct in your suspicions that I will not put another one in after a drive died. Thankfully it was a data backup drive, but it could have just as easily taken a few more with it (which is why I have backups in the first place). Sorry, I won't be buying anymore Rosewill power supplies.

Is it overstating to say that they suck? Perhaps, but when a PSU dies and takes hardware with it, it is clearly not providing adequate, clean power and harshes on the rest of the equipment that it *didn't* kill, and Newegg didn't replace my drive. To be fair, only much higher priced units have that sort of guarantee, but that really doesn't make me feel too much better about the situation. There are far better bargain brands to pick than a Rosewill, and honestly, Newegg isn't the best place in the world to buy power supplies from either. For most things, yes I do shop there. For power supplies, I have learned to shop elsewhere as you can get a lot more for your money. Directron springs to mind as an excellent place to get power supplies from.

so what part of don`t judge an entire line of PSU`s because you had a single as in 1 unit fail you???

To be honest, I have to agree with Caffinated. Years ago, I bought a stick of Centon Memroy (pc133), it was bad, and I ate the cost (long story). Anyway, from that day on I have an almost beligerant hatred of anything Centon. Yes, its somewhat moronic to yell at the computer screen when I see their products, but I feel like I was robbed. I WILL NEVER buy Centon. Even if they do improve their product (line). Absolutely, it is somewhat irrational. But how many things in life do we really NEED? That has nothing to do with what we purchase. I think a lot of it is perception.

Recently, I purchased a Corsair PS that came highly recommended. That doesn't dictate what I buy in two years. It just happens to be what I perceive to be great hardware, due to reviews. In some way it is a toy, something new to try out. Definately not worth argueing about. It's almost like we should just agree to disagree.

I

To be fair, only much higher priced units have that sort of guarantee....

Actually, not even.

Even the PC Power and Cooling warranty card states that they are not responsible for incidental or consequental damages.

To be quite blunt, the PSU manufacturer didn't install the power supply. They didn't make any of the other parts. They weren't present when things went wrong and without an extensive autopsy, they can't really prove that their part really destroyed other parts.

And I can't blame them.

In my years of RMA/RTV I've seen people blame RAM for taking out motherboards when the RAM is installed backwards. I've seen PSU's blamed for taking out hard drives when the Molex is plugged in upside down. If I was a manufacturer, I wouldn't leave myself open to replacing incidental damages either.

Jeezus this is getting funnier by the minute, now the same guy who has been ragging on Rosewill products all along wants some other nice folks to pre-test Rosewell power supplies for him free of charge (and pay his shipping costs, no less :rolleyes: ), so he can build PC's with them & resell them for a profit.

Nice.

This thread has reached the height of jack-assery. Adios, amigos.

I don't need anyone to test any PSU's for me or pay shipping costs for me. It would cost $55 to ship it to MYSELF so if someone is specifically interested in testing out a model that I am going to buy anyways I'm giving the option. I am not making a single penny of profit but delaying it arriving to me by probably a couple of weeks by doing this. I'm basically LOANING a PSU to a tester who has interest in it for FREE, attempting to contribute something useful to this forum rather than inexperience and bias. This is the same situation if I already had the PSU and madmat wanted to borrow it to test it. I could send it to him, let him test it and send it back to me. I shouldn't pay shipping both ways since he's looking for ways to test it for his own interests - I'm simpling supporting his interest without wanting to incur double shipping which is as fair as any proposition I've seen.

If anything, a load test like the one madmat would do is likely harmful to my PSU or any PSU for that matter since most PSU's never see even close to 100% load.

BTW I'm one of the few who have NOT been "ragging on Rosewill" but have attempted to show evidence to support them. Perhaps learn to read a thread before jumping to the last page and criticizing people who offer something useful to the forums?

Madmat expressed an interest in testing one model in each series but didn't have the financial means to do so. I'm offering to buy one of each series and let him test it for FREE - stressing my PSU's. All I asked was that I don't pay shipping twice since I'm paying the shipping to get it from Newegg to his house.

Adios, doubt your presence will be missed here.

lawrence131 -- If anything, a load test like the one madmat would do is likely harmful to my PSU or any PSU for that matter since most PSU's never see even close to 100% load.

WoW can we say excuses for not doing a load test.....
Logic not withstanding whats wrong with the above statement?

Then again whats right about that statement?

Considering both madmsat and Jonny are highly respected as PSU testers I would conclude that doing a load test is a very necessary part of any PSU review.
But then again are we to assume the Jonny is wrong for load testing a PSU??

Hardly!!

Back