Opinion on Rosewill

But that's beside the point, he's trying to RMA a part with nothing wrong with it...wtf do you think they're going to do? Yeah, so he got one with a 20 pin PSU, it could be old stock that Newegg never rotated out. That's in no way Rosewill's fault.

Just to clarify things, it was a rosewill brand case that came with a rosewill branded PSU inside of a sealed box. I doubt rosewill actually manufactured it, but they put their name on it. Good to know that's worth nothing.

All of the pictures and specs on newegg specifically stated the PSU included with this case had a 20+4 pin ATX power connector. I ordered it for my Uncle's computer and everything turned out ok.

The problem came when I ordered the exact same item from newegg a few weeks later for a friend's system and the PSU was DEFECTIVE. It wasn't properly assembled or QA tested or it wouldn't have been missing the extra 4 pins. Again this was a sealed box from rosewill, in which newegg acted as the retailer only. It came from Rosewill with that PSU. It was the same SKU as the unit I ordered 3 weeks before. The outside of the box even said it was a 24 pin ATX PSU ! I was so shocked I took the old PSU out of his computer and compared it with the new one and they were identical except the new PSU was missing the extra 4 pins. I don't believe this is a case of Newegg accidentally putting the wrong PSU in the box.

Now I realized in advance that Rosewill was a generic company but I was working under a tight budget. I contacted Newegg the next day and discussed my options. What pissed me off wasn't so much getting the bad PSU to begin with, but rather the run around the Rosewill RMA dept gave me. From talking to their support people, I found it would likely take months to receive a replacement on something that was worth $20 at the most. They were incredulous to the notion that something could be amiss with one of their PSUs. Their whole attitude and demeanor on the phone made it feel like they were just trying to blow me off and force me to give up so they wouldn't have to deal with it. That is unacceptable. They never once even apologized for the inconvenience.

I called Newegg back, told them I was dissatisfied with Rosewill's response and that I was returning the case. After some discussion they agreed to refund my return shipping cost.
Props to Newegg. Rosewill can kiss my ass. :D

Just to clarify things, it was a rosewill brand case that came with a rosewill branded PSU inside of a sealed box. I doubt rosewill actually manufactured it, but they put their name on it. Good to know that's worth nothing.

All of the pictures and specs on newegg specifically stated the PSU included with this case had a 20+4 pin ATX power connector. I ordered it for my Uncle's computer and everything turned out ok.

The problem came when I ordered the exact same item from newegg a few weeks later for a friend's system and the PSU was DEFECTIVE. It wasn't properly assembled or QA tested or it wouldn't have been missing the extra 4 pins. Again this was a sealed box from rosewill, in which newegg acted as the retailer only. It came from Rosewill with that PSU. It was the same SKU as the unit I ordered 3 weeks before. The outside of the box even said it was a 24 pin ATX PSU ! I was so shocked I took the old PSU out of his computer and compared it with the new one and they were identical except the new PSU was missing the extra 4 pins. I don't believe this is a case of Newegg accidentally putting the wrong PSU in the box.

Now I realized in advance that Rosewill was a generic company but I was working under a tight budget. I contacted Newegg the next day and discussed my options. What pissed me off wasn't so much getting the bad PSU to begin with, but rather the run around the Rosewill RMA dept gave me. From talking to their support people, I found it would likely take months to receive a replacement on something that was worth $20 at the most. They were incredulous to the notion that something could be amiss with one of their PSUs. Their whole attitude and demeanor on the phone made it feel like they were just trying to blow me off and force me to give up so they wouldn't have to deal with it. That is unacceptable. They never once even apologized for the inconvenience.

I called Newegg back, told them I was dissatisfied with Rosewill's response and that I was returning the case. After some discussion they agreed to refund my return shipping cost.
Props to Newegg. Rosewill can kiss my ass. :D

You still missed Matt's point.

It's not "due to a lack of quality control" that the Rosewill had a 20-pin ATX instead of a 24-pin ATX. It's because it was OLD. Should they use the same part number? I don't think so, but that's beside the point. You're blaming Rosewill for Newegg not rotating their stock and getting the old stuff with the 20-pin connectors on it out first. That's not Rosewill's responsibility. It's Newegg that needs to suck it up and take care of the situation, not Rosewill.

To be honest, I have to agree with Caffinated. Years ago, I bought a stick of Centon Memroy (pc133), it was bad, and I ate the cost (long story). Anyway, from that day on I have an almost beligerant hatred of anything Centon. Yes, its somewhat moronic to yell at the computer screen when I see their products, but I feel like I was robbed. I WILL NEVER buy Centon. Even if they do improve their product (line). Absolutely, it is somewhat irrational. But how many things in life do we really NEED? That has nothing to do with what we purchase. I think a lot of it is perception.

Recently, I purchased a Corsair PS that came highly recommended. That doesn't dictate what I buy in two years. It just happens to be what I perceive to be great hardware, due to reviews. In some way it is a toy, something new to try out. Definately not worth argueing about. It's almost like we should just agree to disagree.

I

My judgement probably is colored by the experience that I had with the Rosewill unit I bought. I still can't recommend them, though, with any degree of confidence because of that experience. If I get sick from eating at a particular restaurant, I don't go there again, either. When I read that other people get sick from eating there, I advise other people to avoid eating at that place.

Irrational? Maybe, but I can only go by what I've seen and experienced.

You still missed Matt's point.

It's not "due to a lack of quality control" that the Rosewill had a 20-pin ATX instead of a 24-pin ATX. It's because it was OLD. Should they use the same part number? I don't think so, but that's beside the point. You're blaming Rosewill for Newegg not rotating their stock and getting the old stuff with the 20-pin connectors on it out first. That's not Rosewill's responsibility. It's Newegg that needs to suck it up and take care of the situation, not Rosewill.

The outside of the box that the case + psu came in said it was a 24 pin ATX. I didn't order them separately. It was a package deal. Case with PSU included.
Now either their QA screwed up and forgot to put the extra 4 pins on that PSU, or it was in fact just an old 20 pin that ROSEWILL, not Newegg put into a retail packaged case+psu that had printed right on the outside of the box 24 pin ATX. :rolleyes:

It was Rosewill that fucked me, not Newegg. edit: And in fact Newegg hooked me up by refunding my return shipping after Rosewill shrugged their responsibility.

The outside of the box that the case + psu came in said it was a 24 pin ATX. I didn't order them separately. It was a package deal. Case with PSU included.

Ok. If you said that in the past, I missed it. I know you said that the PSU was pre-installed in the case. But I didn't see where you stated that the box that the case came in actually said "case with 24-pin power supply." AFAIK, you only said the picture and specs on NEWEGG said it was a 24-pin power supply. And of course, that still comes down to being NEWEGG'S PROBLEM. But if you say THE BOX said it was a 24-pin PSU, I'll let it go.

Now either their QA screwed up and forgot to put the extra 4 pins on that PSU, or it was in fact just an old 20 pin that ROSEWILL, not Newegg put into a retail packaged case+psu that had printed right on the outside of the box 24 pin ATX. :rolleyes:

The idea that QA screwed up during the assembly of the PSU is so ludicrous it's.. well... let's just say.. I don't want to offend anyone. But let's put it this way... they would not only "forget" to put the correct connector on it, but someone else would have to "forget" to solder down four different wires onto four different solder points of the PCB and the guy at the end of the line would "forget" to check the connectors as well. That's at least three different people on the line that would have to forget they were building a 24-pin power supply.

Let's just say someone grabbed the wrong PSU off the shelf to put into the case.

It was Rosewill that fucked me, not Newegg. edit: And in fact Newegg hooked me up by refunding my return shipping after Rosewill shrugged their responsibility.

Ok. That's fair. But I'm still going to have to go back to the point that Rosewill IS Newegg. It's really a great scam because then they're given TWO chances to screw up and redeem themselves. If someone representing Rosewill screws up, then Newegg can come to the rescue. If someone at Newegg screws up then Rosewill cleans up the mess. Profit?

You just now got that? ;)

The Rosewill site is down for me right now, but if you get a chance to go there, look at their address and look at Newegg's. Around the corner.

Ping www.rosewill.com and mail.newegg.com and you'll get the same IP up to the third octect.

It used to be you'd do a Whois on Rosewill and the contact info was the same as Newegg's and ABS's, but they've fixed that.

Go to the "where to buy" page and only Newegg and Chief Value are listed.

Go to the "warranty" page (I pointed this out a couple posts about) and you'll see that one of the ways you get your product warrantied is to "include your Newegg invoice."

This is one of the more valuable threads I've come across since discovering [H].

There's a TON to gleam and learn in here. Not so much of the technical data with the PSUs at hand, but of the market and user information (or misinformation as it were).

This noob thanks all of you who have earnestly particpated in it. Really.

Back