Opteron 165, mem divider overclock problems

wongnog

n00b
Hey guys, I'm working with my old Opteron 165 system that I've donated to my parents and am trying to overclock it. Here's my steup:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
CPU: Opteron 165 (stepping 2, revision JH9-E6)
CPU cooler: arctic cooling freezer pro 64
Memory: 2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC-3200 (OCZP4001G)
PSU: Antec SmartPower2.0 450

I can get the system Prime95 stable for 9 hours at 9x295 fsb but I have to underclock the memory with a 1:2 divider (memclock index value 200 MHz), so DRAM frequency is at 148 MHz. At this underclock, I can set memory at the tightest timings and it's stable.

Memclock index value: 200 mhz
Cas latency (TCL) : 2
Min ras active time (TRAS) : 5
Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 2
Row precharge time (TRP) : 2
Row Cycle time (TRC) : 7
Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) : 9
Read-to-write time (TRWT) : 1
Write recovery time (TWR) : 2
1T/2T memory timing : 1
S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled
H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Hyper transport frequency : 3
Amd K8 Cool'nQuiet : Disabled

CPU frequency : 295
PCI Express : 100mhz
DDR voltage : 2.8
Chipset voltage : 1.6
HT voltage : 1.25
CPU multiplier : 9
CPU voltage : 1.50 (board's max on Toledo core Opteron 165)
PCI clock syncronization mode : 33.33mhz

However if I loosen all the timings and try a 2:3 divider (memclock index value 266 MHz), so DRAM frequency is 198 MHz the system refuses to post. This makes no sense to me as this is the posted frequency of the ram. I know the ram is capable of at least 220 MHz on a 1:1 divider, so my guess it the ram just doesn't like the divider. Here's the settings that won't post for me, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Memclock index value: 266 mhz
Cas latency (TCL) : 3
Min ras active time (TRAS) : 15
Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 7
Row precharge time (TRP) : 7
Row Cycle time (TRC) : 22
Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) : 24
Read-to-write time (TRWT) : 6
Write recovery time (TWR) : 3
1T/2T memory timing : 2
S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled
H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Board may not like the high FSB? That CPU should easily run at 250x11 @1.49v IIRC, but it's been a while. I have that exact board sitting behind me on a shelf now =D but preferred the DFI LanParty boards for s939.

Had that same memory and ran it at 2-3-2-5 1T @ 2.8 or 2.9V at 214MHz IIRC, until I got some PC4000 that is. DFI mobo though.

my best guess is you need to raise the voltage on the cpu. probably putting to much stress on the NB but since the NB and cpu voltage are linked your probably screwed if 1.5v is the highest it will go.

you may be better off lowering the FSB and increasing the multiplier and messing with the ram multiplier to get it back up to ddr 400. my socket 754 DFI board was some what picky about the ram multiplier being used for example i could do ddr 166 133 90 but i couldn't do 180 155 112 even though the options were there in the bios.

It could be the memory controller on that CPU is not the best around.

It could also be that the power supply is on it's way out. A bad cap or two can cause weird instability issues like you are seeing.

I've been running my 165 on an Abit AN8-SLI for years, 300MHz CPU, 3x HT, 266MHz ram 4x1GB GSkill. rock solid. I know the A8N boards were great overclockers as well, would have to assume it's the CPU at this point, even the 165's had some duds that would not clock well.

Unfortunately the opteron 165 multiplier is locked at max 9x. I can run it at 9x295 and underclock memory at DDR145, or i can drop fsb to 9x220 and over clock my memory to DDR440. What do you guys think is better?

its most likely voltage. if you could get 1.51-1.52v it would probably solve the stability problem.

since its your parents system most likely clock speed will be more important then ram speed. so its up to you on what you want more cpu clock or ram clock.

Back