Opteron 165 or 170? Ordering today

typhoon43

2[H]4U
Been trying to absorb as much info as possible but can't seem to get a good bead on the steppings. Here is my stetup so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction:

Pluses to my system:
DFI NF4 SLI-DR
Watercooled (3/8" Asetek/DangerDen combo)
2 GB RAM
Been running a 3000 Venice @ 2.5 for 9 months. No probs. (ran @ 2.7 all day with 2x 512 TCCD)

Minuses:
Went to 2 x 1GB for Battlefield and my RAM won't get over 230 at decent timings. (figured you might want to know this because I think the 165's and 170's have different multis)

I'm ready to order TODAY so I can have it for this weekend. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

If you're able to run High HTTs I would go with the 165. I'm running a 170. Most Watercooled OCs are only seeing a difference of 100MHz difference between the two.

On water the 170s are hitting 2.8, while the 165s are hitting 2.7. However, I feel that these differences may simply have to do with OC skillz. The CCBWE is a good stepping. I'm running one on the same DFI board as you.

Is the 100MHz worth it? Also do you plan to to run your RAM 1:1? If so then pick up the 170. I'm not the authority, just my 2 cents.

I can;t run my RAM 1:1 anymore because I got rid of my TCCD for 2 1GB sticks of OCZ Rev 3 Platinum. It hits 230 tops..

I got my Opteron 165 yesterday from Newegg, and I'm during 2.6Ghz on Air @ 1.36v (Xp-90 Heatsink). The Temp is 97F to 101F idle and about 110F to 113F under load. I'm waiting to install in my new case(Thermaltake Armour) before going any higher, but I'm sure I can get 2.8ghz.. It all depends if my DFI lan party NF4 d sli can be stable at 312 (HTT)FSB (Which I think it can handle). So seeing u pretty much have my motherboard I would go with an Opteron 165. I have stepping CCBWE 534. Good Luck

Can people tell me why people like Opterons so much? are they just the same as normal athlon 64's?

^ Some people feel they may OC higher, still a gamble but what the hey. And they have 1mb cache per core without having to go all the way up to an x2 4400+. Can always OC, can't strap on cache.

As far as ram, yeah I run a divider on mine when I went to 2*1gb crucial value. They only hit 236 3-3-3-8. Ram is always run at a divider of the cpu anyways. cpu/11, cpu/13, so on. The 5/6 and crap you see in the bios is because they think we can't learn new things. ;) This example would basically tell the bios to use cpu/x to get you down to 166 DDR. Not considering the HTT may be over 200.

My question, I guess the 165's haven't been discontinued?

texuspete00 said:
My question, I guess the 165's haven't been discontinued?
i have a feeling it was just a rumor that got taken too seriously. the 165 still exists on amd's pricing list, so they must make it ;)

oooh sounds worth getting myself only problem is in the UK they cost too much

Alexander. What stepping/week did you get from newegg? Whats your max overclock?

I'd say 170, just for access to a higher multi.

HOWEVER: A lot depends on the stepping you get. YMMV, so...if you can get a good stepping 170, jump on it, if you have a good stepping 165 over a mystery 170, go with the 165. If they both are unknown, I'd go 170.

-Ghent

im thinking about getting a 165, but downside is the 9x multi, 170 is beyond my range, (i live in australia), wat are u guys out there getting with 165 on water?

Back