Opteron S939 1xx series on ASUS A8N-SLi Premium

tsuehpsyde said:
Uhhh, that's what baron just said. != stands for "does not equal". :p

Sorry I missed that. I never payed attention in ANY math classes in high school. :D

My point is, by dropping the ECC memory requirement for an Opteron 1xx series S939 processor, you defeat the whole purpose for having an Opteron in the first place. Thus why not call it what it is? It's an Athlon 64. Is there some other difference between the Opteron and the Athlon 64 besides SMP and Ram requirements that I am missing?

It's simply more confusing marketting on AMD's part. I am not saying don't buy them when they come out, they look like great chips, I am just wondering why AMD is calling them Opterons.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I am just wondering why AMD is calling them Opterons.
cause they look like this:

1_38.jpg

asianguy80 said:
stop taking pictures and oc that sucker! :p

I agree. If this is the 2nd coming of the "XP-Mobile" (in terms of sheer OCability), then I've waited enough =D.

(cf)Eclipse said:
cause they look like this:

1_38.jpg

You know damn well that's not what I meant! :cool:

With that Socket 939 Opteron, AMD's naming and model numbering scheme has pretty much just become the most confusing line of processors ever.

It's an Opteron because it underwent more stress testing at the factory and has a 1mb cache. Also, yeah, the OSA at the beginning declares it to be an Opteron.

Sir-Fragalot said:
You know damn well that's not what I meant! :cool:

With that Socket 939 Opteron, AMD's naming and model numbering scheme has pretty much just become the most confusing line of processors ever.
shh, i know. i know the exact confusion you are expressing. i honestly can't say, other than it makes getting into the opteron market cheaper. there is really no other explaination ;)

asianguy80 said:
stop taking pictures and oc that sucker! :p
in due time. my dfi nf4 ultra-d has to get here first :p

(cf)Eclipse, when you and robberbaron get your CPU's i wanna know.......which was taller :D
I just read the posts at XS and I had to laugh when I saw that.

heh, you'll have to complain to fedex to hurry up at this point :D

i'm hoping for ~3ghz stable, but i might be asking a bit much :p

PaHick said:
(cf)Eclipse, when you and robberbaron get your CPU's i wanna know.......which was taller :D
I just read the posts at XS and I had to laugh when I saw that.

Mine is the taller one, it turns out. That's gotta be worth 40 MHz AT LEAST.

robberbaron said:
Mine is the taller one, it turns out. That's gotta be worth 40 MHz AT LEAST.
i have a lower batch number though... closer to the center maybe? :D:D

(cf)Eclipse said:
heh, you'll have to complain to fedex to hurry up at this point :D

i'm hoping for ~3ghz stable, but i might be asking a bit much :p
if you manage that, then with a vapo, 3.2-3.4 would be easy.

This seems like a great addition to the AMD line. I, for one, am certainly glad they are moving opterons to S939 platform. I have a 3700+ running on water at 3025MHz. If this is anything like the San Diego, I am getting a single opteron computer. Sweetness!!

Well, the core is called Venus, but has a BN suffix (what differentiates it though, is the OSA at the front.)

There were Semprons with "AX" at the end, like the "AX" of Newcastle A64's, but they were really Paris chips since it had that SDA at the front.

WozniakMac said:
This seems like a great addition to the AMD line. I, for one, am certainly glad they are moving opterons to S939 platform. I have a 3700+ running on water at 3025MHz. If this is anything like the San Diego, I am getting a single opteron computer. Sweetness!!

The only Opterons that are moving over are the 1xx series. The 2xx and 8xx series will remain socket 940 until the socket gets replaced sometime next year.

I think 1xx series Opterons will be offered concurrently as S939 and S940.

i'm almost certain amd stopped production on the s940 1xx, and what's left is in the distribution channel.. but take note of that almost :D

baron.. .8v would be hot :p

(cf)Eclipse said:
i'm almost certain amd stopped production on the s940 1xx, and what's left is in the distribution channel.. but take note of that almost :D

baron.. .8v would be hot :p

My opinion is that it would be cold, actually. But enough about me. I want the damn chip already!

robberbaron said:
The only thing that matters is that YOU need to get one :cool:

I might get a second one, and I could hook you up.
LOL. The shipping costs would kill it for me :p
PM me anyway..

Sir-Fragalot said:
The only Opterons that are moving over are the 1xx series. The 2xx and 8xx series will remain socket 940 until the socket gets replaced sometime next year.

I think 1xx series Opterons will be offered concurrently as S939 and S940.

Know they are trying to move the 1xx to 939 for two reasons.

1. There is no reason having a single only proc on a dual CPU eviroment when they havee a perfectly good single proc setup waiting.

2. This will hopefully cause the Mobo manufacturers to Make workstation quality motherboards for 939 (read Nvidia Profesional chipsets).

Not only does the 144 look interesting but, also the 1.6 and 1.8 DC opterons like the 160 and the 165. Specially the HE versions. Since those are also under volted (heavily almost half the TDP) Those could be come cheap and very overclockable Toledos.

TechHead said:
LOL. The shipping costs would kill it for me :p
PM me anyway..
tehehe, yeah.. that's a long way to ship something like that. my mobo will be in today, i should have a nice writeup on how it performs with stock voltage, maybe less, by tonight :D

Topweasel said:
Know they are trying to move the 1xx to 939 for two reasons.

1. There is no reason having a single only proc on a dual CPU eviroment when they havee a perfectly good single proc setup waiting.

2. This will hopefully cause the Mobo manufacturers to Make workstation quality motherboards for 939 (read Nvidia Profesional chipsets).

Not only does the 144 look interesting but, also the 1.6 and 1.8 DC opterons like the 160 and the 165. Specially the HE versions. Since those are also under volted (heavily almost half the TDP) Those could be come cheap and very overclockable Toledos.

Nothing against what the chips might do as overclockers, I am sure they'll be awesome. I just don't get the BS marketting. I can see moving the whole Opteron 1xx series away from socket 940, but as I understand it, they'll continue to make S940 1xx series Opterons. Which, in my opinion, doesn't make alot of sense. As I said, without the Registered ECC ram requirement, its not really an Opteron in the sense that it's nothing like the 2xx or 8xx Opterons.

That's like Intel making socket LGA775 Xeon's. What the hell is the point? The desktop market knows nothing about Opterons or Xeons. The Xeon is exactly the same as a Pentium 4, with the exception of some models having more L2 cache, but the bulk of them are exactly the same. So there it wouldn't make sense to create a uni-processor only Xeon in the Pentium-D's socket.

Same is true for Opteron. Alot of people have never even heard of an Opteron. So why would a single processor Opteron be attractive to business or anyone else (aside from us overclockers) if it has no features above and beyond that of the regualr A64 line. Without ECC and SMP, the damn thing does nothing but create confusion.

The only purpose I could remotely see behind this, is a marketting ploy to increase Opteron awareness and therefore generate additional sales. I hear you loud and clear on the whole idea of nForce Professional chipsets for uni-processor Opterons, and I think that would be a good thing too. Most business customers won't likely spring for such systems though. I see alot of Celeron workstations and even entry level servers sold. I also see alot of uni-processor Xeon servers sold that are dual CPU capable, but they'll go their entire lifespace without ever seeing a second CPU installed. Granted the needs will vary by customer, but no matter how you slice it, I don't see this as making any real sense. The confusion it brings aside, I see no need, bennefit or use for S939 Opterons for most business customers and home users certainly. For the enthusiest, as you've pointed out this could very well be a great thing.

Ok Im getting one... Where can I find one in Germany?

Now I can finally get rid of my crappy OCinf winnie. (Yeah in SC it was very good but in DC it sucked)..

Frallan said:
Ok Im getting one... Where can I find one in Germany?
not sure, keep your eye out for these:

OSA144BNBOX
or
OSA144DAA5BN

retail box and oem, respectively

hmm this looks very promising. so do you guys think that in time these opertons will be on like newegg and stuff? when you do you reviews and stuff will you be doing any benchmarks in gaming?

also what would be an incentive to get this instead of a 3200+ or a 3800X2(<money is the problem for that) just the 1mb cache?

if you look at that cechz review you notice when OC'ed up to 2.81 the cpu was at 63C

Vulcanworlds said:
hmm this looks very promising. so do you guys think that in time these opertons will be on like newegg and stuff? when you do you reviews and stuff will you be doing any benchmarks in gaming?

also what would be an incentive to get this instead of a 3200+ or a 3800X2(<money is the problem for that) just the 1mb cache?

if you look at that cechz review you notice when OC'ed up to 2.81 the cpu was at 63C

Since Newegg sells the regular Socket 940 Opterons and the entire line of 939 Athlon 64's.

(cf)Eclipse said:
tehehe, yeah.. that's a long way to ship something like that. my mobo will be in today, i should have a nice writeup on how it performs with stock voltage, maybe less, by tonight :D

well?!

Mr. Fragalot sir. I am pretty sure that while they probably will make opteron 1xx till the end of 939/940. After that I think they will only conintue to Make them on the M2 socket. When they make the Moke to quad cores I think they only want them in servers for at least a year first before putting them in desktops. This would mean if the mad a Socket F 1xx they would have to find away to bring that model quad core to Socket M. Add this as my third reason.

Reason 3.

They will kill it off of the server socket lineup to aviod having to release desktop quad core till they are ready for the Athlon64. This will also help sales grow as well since they don't have to sell 1xx Quad cores at all and everyone has to purchase the 2xx and 8xx.

Topweasel said:
Mr. Fragalot sir. I am pretty sure that while they probably will make opteron 1xx till the end of 939/940. After that I think they will only conintue to Make them on the M2 socket. When they make the Moke to quad cores I think they only want them in servers for at least a year first before putting them in desktops. This would mean if the mad a Socket F 1xx they would have to find away to bring that model quad core to Socket M. Add this as my third reason.

Reason 3.

They will kill it off of the server socket lineup to aviod having to release desktop quad core till they are ready for the Athlon64. This will also help sales grow as well since they don't have to sell 1xx Quad cores at all and everyone has to purchase the 2xx and 8xx.

It's tough to say, I don't know what AMD's long term plans are. Really this could be nothing more than a way to get the Opteron name into more markets. Opteron chips often sell in higher priced machines at higher price points where there is more margin, its very likely that AMD wants a bigger piece of the server market. I personally can find no other reason for doing this.

Personally I doubt that there will be M2 Opterons, but who knows? They might do it. I never thought they'd go to S939 Uni-Processor Opterons.

Who knows?

wait nvm i see it on the validation but what divider is he using on the ram? i'd like to see what it can do 1:1 or does running ram & cpu in sync not matter because of the way a64's are?

Back