Opteron S939 1xx series on ASUS A8N-SLi Premium

It looks like you've got some nice headroom there Eclipse! Possibly 3ghz stable on water! Freaking awesome...

eclipse has a habit of posting suicide screens, so don't expect that to be a preview of prime stable on water.

Though, I am curious to see what prime stable ends up being with water.

I'm guessing 2.8GHz on 1.5v on water, and 3GHz if God is with us. :D I hope it's redicuclous on water, but someone got the 146 (step up, 2GHz) and got it up to 3.2GHz on AIR. :eek:

so is there a date on when it goes like public or something? where/when can the average joe get one without paying in chetz money.

sorry i meant the like chetc republic idk how you spell the damn word but i was reading on an earlier post that the prices of one place that had it was in that currency.

Aaahh Eclipse, at the beginning of this thread, you had said it would take quite a while before tried tried this Opteron setup!

You've come a long way! lol. No doubt, you must have read everything to do with overclocking this processor. I am still waiting to receive my opteron :(

However, I am ordering other parts that will accomodate it! lol, a suitable heatsink and fan for instance.

As you have trial and tested the processor, what do you think the best AIR cooling is available? I was thinking the XP-90C with panaflo 92mm fan.

Any suggestions?

Rixx said:
You've come a long way! lol. No doubt, you must have read everything to do with overclocking this processor. I am still waiting to receive my opteron :(
everything was one thread.. an asian dude. i've learned to take what the asians get and subtract 300mhz :D
case in point:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75063

i can get 2942mhz sPI 1m stable with 1.62v, i'll try to eek out a bit more :cool:

best air is somewhat debateable. i'm a fan of the thermalright xp's :D coupled with a good fan, the xp-90c should be awesome for you

WOW, I just viewed the thread @Team Japan.

Amazing stuff. The more people that end up tinkering with this, the results just keep getting better and better! Im still waiting for mine, *sigh* why oh why!

Regarding your advice Eclipse, Im hearing that the XP-90C is too heavy and to go for the regular XP-90 or XP-120. What do you think? I really want to go for the XP-90C but do not want to risk damage to the CPU?

As I havent handled these products, I dont know the good from the bad! lol. Any ideas?

with a heatspreader, it's pretty damn hard to kill the cpu. you main concern would be breaking the motherboard if you drop the case or something :D

lol.

I really got the wrong end of the stick on that one heh. So Eclipse, what would you do? Any ideas.. the XP-90 or the XP-90C

man, this PC spec has been doing my head in and well.. I need someone to make the decision for me hehe.

personally, i would take the xp-90 over the xp-90c.. yes, the latter is better, but not worth the price imo.

Wow that xs link shopwed tem Japan using a 146 Opty w air for a (probably suicide) shot of above 3.2 GHz...

AFI's giving that cpu to you eh? lucky guy. i thought he was keeping it, but i guess not :p

eclipse, u needa go grab urself the zalman heat pipe cooler, what was it like 9000c or something like that? i forget. but it looks good. go get and test! or do u already know how good it is, and how it compares w/ the xp-90 + good fan?

dangerden TDX > air :cool:

1_4.jpg

(cf)Eclipse said:
AFI's giving that cpu to you eh? lucky guy. i thought he was keeping it, but i guess not :p

I got dibs on that chip. Once he decides to sell it ima grab it. Nice part about all this is he plans on upgrading around xmas time. I may have to wait but it will be worth it. :cool:

so the opteron dual cores finally caught up to the desktop counterparts :cool:

the 175 is a decent deal too, $7 cheaper than the 4400 that it is equal to, last i checked :D

Im debating whether to go for the Opty 148 running a 12X multiplier. My main reason for this is because im running Crucial Ballistix 1GB X2 RAM...

Any views on this? WIll the 144 or 146 or 148 be better for me! ??

er.. how high does your ballistix go? you can always use a divider, it won't effect performance any :D

Well, I just placed an order for mine because of a link on another thread.

I don't even have a s939 mobo yet!

Damn this stupid hobby.

But my main question is, has anyone tried this with g.Skill PC4400 yet?

Also, I'm a little weary of the DFI boards, has anyone tried this on the Asus A8N-SLI Premium? (I know its what the thread title says, but it looks like eclipse is using a DFI board.)

Hey Eclipse :D

I dont really know too much about what im talking about, im still choosing the right components to build my new pc (which is the reason why I started this thread! lol). I was settled on the Opteron 144 all the way (with x9 multiplier) but i've been reading how this will increase stress on the ram? So a 146 would be better with a x10 multiplier (less stress). Will the 148 be even better ie less stress, or is it like you said that it wouldnt make any difference?

Would the 144 be just as good as the 146 (in terms of overclockability on a DFI nf4 Lanparty SLI-DR, Crucial Ballistix 2GB Kit ram) ?

Thanks for the help, I dont want to miss the order for the opty's! lol

nah, it really doesn't matter. if you find that your ram is topping out before the cpu does, simply lower the memory divider down to slow down the ram a bit, allowing you to scale to higher mhz on the cpu.

read this first
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026972298&postcount=10

then a general guide on oc'ing a64's, which you've probably seen already ;)
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027479689&postcount=2

also, there haven't been enough results with the opterons to tell which is better.

Thanks eclipse! Your articles helped a lot :D So, summarising, it doesnt matter which opteron I go for (ie I may aswell go for the 144?) This would lead me onto the next question (and hopefully last before I make the order :) ,

why is there a lot of commotion about the 146 Opterons??

Yea, i gathered the 10x multi vs the 9x multi.. but im thinkin.. will it make that much difference? Both chips have the same core. I am sure that they will both overclock to the same extent, however I understand it that the 10x multi puts less stress on components.

From what Eclipse has said, the RAM should not be an issue, although I do expect that there would be less stress on the RAM with a 10x multi. Hmm.. Im a lil confused here but Im sure the 10x multi will be easier to work with where overclocking is concerned.

I just dont know the specifics! lol. (Still building PC *sigh*) I only have to wait one day for an Opteron 144 but I have to wait 2.5 weeks for an Opteron 146!!

I wana build this thing right, so I think im going to end up with going for the 146 :( (I guess Im going to have to wait eh!)

:eek:

Back