OSX86 Cracked!

A friend of mine and I have actually been following the progress people have been making with the various forms of Tiger x86 that have been leaked. I would go as far as saying the TPM has been cracked or circumvented. What this means is that anyone wanting to build a clone of the Dev kit can indeed run Tiger x86. However Tiger’s GUI rendering on the integrated GPU is far from pretty.

X86 on anything but a Dev kit clone at this point is a total waste. Ok or atleast a waste of time for anyone who is doing it to run Tiger. If your goal is to crack Tiger x86 then I suppose it is more like a dream come true. I have yet to see anyone come up with a proper workaround for the non-SSE3 CPU’s. That and the lack of proper hardware support has left everyone I talked to with an unstable machine “running Tiger x86”.

The only thing that excites me about this whole thing is how easily the TMP was cracked or circumvented. I hope this is some clue as to how easy it will be to clone the real Mactel’s when they finally come out.

A torrent is out that has a vmware image of Mac OS that is patched for non sse3 machines.

The pictures of the CNN page clearly show that it is current. Now, what's the resolution about the processor debate?

Jerunk said:
the math is off, its not 533, it's 133.

You're right. I kept mixing up the quad pumped value and the actual bus speed of 133 MHz.

So, 133 MHz x 13 = 1.73 GHz... but it's still not the processor that person claims to have - it would have to be a .90 micron CPU to be running on the 533 MHz FSB.

lithium726 said:
no such thing. ALL mobile p4-m (note: this is the mobile p4-m, not the mobile p4) are 400FSB.

You're right. I kept mixing up the vernacular Intel uses myself. There's the "Intel Pentium 4 Processor," then the "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor," then "Mobile Intel Pentium 4 Processor-M (aka 4-M)" and finally the "Intel Pentium-M" which is the processor I was talking about at 1.73 GHz.

Here's the information I was trying to relay as taken from the Intel Processor sSpec Finder page:

Intel® Pentium® M processor

Results

sSpec Number
SL7SA
Processor Frequency
1.73 GHz CPUID String
06D8H
Package Type
478 pin PPGA Core Voltage
1.287V-1.400V
Bus Speed
533 MHz Thermal Guideline
27.0W
Core Stepping
C0 Thermal Spec
100°C
L2 Cache Size
2 MB Manufacturing Technology
90 nm
L2 Cache Speed
1.73 GHz Bus/Core Ratio
Spec Update
http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/pentiumm/documentation.htm
Product Order Codes

Box Order Code
BX80536GE1733FJ
OEM Order Code
RH80536GE0302M

and...

Results

sSpec Number
SL7S8
Processor Frequency
1.73 GHz CPUID String
06D8H
Package Type
479 pin H-PBGA Core Voltage
1.287V-1.400V
Bus Speed
533 MHz Thermal Guideline
27.0W
Core Stepping
C0 Thermal Spec
100°C
L2 Cache Size
2 MB Manufacturing Technology
90 nm
L2 Cache Speed
1.73 GHz Bus/Core Ratio
Spec Update
http://developer.intel.com/design/mobile/pentiumm/documentation.htm
Product Order Codes

OEM Order Code
RJ80536GE0302M

So I apologize for the mixup. There were two 1.73 GHz Pentium-M processors listed; more could exist if the sSpec codes exist and they're input at that page to extract the relevant info from the database.

smileyscout: Thanks for the pics of the processor ID info. As expected, his Dell laptop is running the exact same processor mine is, a Mobile Pentium 4 running at 1.7 GHz on a 400 MHz FSB with 512KB of L2 cache.

I'm still hoping it's for real as most of us are. It would be cool to run it at some point just to get a looksee. I'm hoping to land my hands on one of those $50 iBooks next week in Richmond, Virginia when the county puts 1,000 of 'em up for sale. My oldest sister is a school administrator in that county so she can get one - she lives there to and they're only selling them to county residents. Never owned a Mac of any kind before so it would be interesting to finally toy around with one.

Besides, it's $50, I can't lose really.

bb

acascianelli said:
A torrent is out that has a vmware image of Mac OS that is patched for non sse3 machines.

Yes I am aware that there is a torrent available that is supposes to be patched for non SSE3 machines. I am also aware of all the various ways of modifying the actual DVD to remove the TPM as well as SSE3. However I have yet to see any of these methods produce a machine that is as stable as a Dev kit clone. So IMO no one has successfully removed SSE3 from Tiger x86. However I am at work and not actively following the new developments so maybe someone has?

I don't understand how people have it running on vmware before actual systems. Should be the other way around.

This is highly interesting, but not the right timing for me..........I mean...I'm just getting into Linux - cant...handle...another...OS....brain filling.... :D
Nice to see some good ol' entrepreneurial competition. (in regards to Apple coming to the PC, not thier os getting hacked) ;)

eeyrjmr said:
SWEET!!!! where can I get it!!!

how will it cope with 2mouse buttons? since at this stage Apple have only support 2mouse-buttons in words

OS has worked with 2 button mice for sometime.....

It's happening as we speak.

People are using a VMWare image file and using dd (a raw write command) to write that image to the physical hard drive and running OSX for Intel from it. The image file was patched for reasons I won't go into, but it's working. There's even a video floating around of a guy running it on a MiTAC laptop with unaccelerated graphics and no network support but it's freakin' fast. People so far have been telling me that it's running faster on their Intel hardware that OSX does on their own Macs. Go figure.

Very interesting developments in the past 24 hours.

Who knows what the future will bring...

bb

Hmm... For some reason, I think my next build this fall will be Intel. ;)

Keep bringing the info you find on this subject and post it here!

The majority of the information I'm getting is coming from sitting in that IRC channel for the last 24 hours or so, reading countless websites, forum postings and looking at a lot of screenshots.

Currently, I have no reason to believe it's not possible myself. I hope to do some testing of my own in short order and see what's real and what's utter crap. Not that I have any credibility around these parts, and if I do I wouldn't expect it to be anymore than any other member.

I'm just like most of us: love to mess with computers and tinker and dabble and mess around with anything I can get my hands on - includings OSes that I ain't supposed to be able to run on my current hardware.

:p

I'll keep you posted.

bb

Well I can't really think of what else to post. It seems other ppl are getting just as far as my friend now and I can't really prove anything else without getting myself banned with warez links or revealing my friends methods (which he hasn't revealed to me). This thread could still serve the purpose of speculating what would happen to Microsoft now. Since it is proven Mac OSX 86 can be hacked to work on non Mac sanctioned hardware would Windows get a run for its money? If the hacker scene can manage to make the retail version run Windows games without any huge breaking problems would MS would ppl switch and MS freak out? All very valid questions which deserve good speculation.

Man I really need to get a farm going :p

The VMWare images worked on my P4 Windows machine at home, but not on my AMD Linux laptop here at work.

It does exist, it does work. I've had it running on an Athlon 64 3200+ for the past five days and have a Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ Rev. E sitting here that will fix my SSE3 issue as soon as I install it. People are far too quick to call fake on these things. A number of people in that IRC channel have it working -- I was actually among the first group to get it working, but there was no way I was going to release any info on it -- keepin' Apple Legal away, right? :)

I don't see why I have any reason to lie, or any reason that I should need to prove that my stuff is real, but if it moves people that much, I can take screenshots, pictures with a camera, and videos. Yay.

I'll get a few going after I'm done being lazy sitting around on the PowerBook ;)

The hardware that 3200 is on includes an nVidia 6800 GT and an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce3 250GB). Unfortunately, the included nVidia video drivers don't exactly work (attempting to load them results in undefined symbol errors in dmesg). So it runs in VESA mode, which amazingly isn't that slow -- it keeps up with my PowerBook quite well (and this is the current top of the line 15"). There aren't any drivers for any AMD chipsets, but using the generic i386 platform drivers included with Darwin 8.0.1 works just fine. Everything works great except for the crashes resulting from my current lack of an SSE3 capable CPU (which I'll be changing as soon as I get these CPUs swapped out).

Stratus Fear said:
I'll get a few going after I'm done being lazy sitting around on the PowerBook ;)

The hardware that 3200 is on includes an nVidia 6800 GT and an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (nForce3 250GB). Unfortunately, the included nVidia video drivers don't exactly work (attempting to load them results in undefined symbol errors in dmesg). So it runs in VESA mode, which amazingly isn't that slow -- it keeps up with my PowerBook quite well (and this is the current top of the line 15"). There aren't any drivers for any AMD chipsets, but using the generic i386 platform drivers included with Darwin 8.0.1 works just fine. Everything works great except for the crashes resulting from my current lack of an SSE3 capable CPU (which I'll be changing as soon as I get these CPUs swapped out).

It almost sounds like your running off the dev kit backup rather then the dev kit install DVD? If so have you tried the install DVD?

I don’t want to get in to details as I don’t want to get anyone in trouble or banned. And the last thing I want is to debate the legality of all this since there is no debate. It’s illegal. However my curiosity about the TPM has me stepping over the same line.

I can’t say I have fully installed OSX but I have been experimenting with the TPM since last night and all I can say was what was apple thinking? I sure hope they didn’t invest too much money in it.

With the main osx86project.org being slashdotted earlier (around 12:30PM Eastern time) that site is pretty much being hosed like you can't believe. And with this thread now having over 5,300 views and rising...

People are taking notice :)

/me goes back to installing OSX for Intel...

bb

TGA said:
It almost sounds like your running off the dev kit backup rather then the dev kit install DVD? If so have you tried the install DVD?

It's not the backup. My install started off installing the DVD to a drive over firewire from a Mac.

Remember those pictures I had posted on Imagecave.com

Well...

To: [email protected]
Date: Aug 11, 2005 11:51 AM

Dear smileyscout,

Downloads from your account has http://www.ImageCave.com have been temporarily suspended. You have exceeded your monthly data transfer limit of 1024MB. Currently, you have used 423.6376953125 MB of data transfer today.

Any time more than a third of your monthly bandwidth is used in a day or less, downloads will be temporarily suspended.

If its vital that your images remain online, you can consider upgrading to a premium account, for as low as $5 a month. You can upgrade with either PayPal or by credit card. Premium accounts get significantly more storage, and much more data transfer to handle popular images or busy web pages.

If you choose to do nothing, downloads of your images will be restored during the daily reset, around midnight, CST.

Sincerly, ImageCave.com

LMFAO!!!! :eek: :D :p

Boom baby...

tiger-screen.JPG

Sorry for the hugeness.

To my knowledge some ppl are running it on VMWare like that screenshot illustrates. My friend, however, is running OSX 86 completely native on his laptop. He isn't the only one doing this now just one of the few and increasing.

To be honest, it is not very stable and runs very VERY slow. I assume its because I have a Northwood processor that doesnt have SSE3.

smileyscout said:
Remember those pictures I had posted on Imagecave.com

Well...

LMFAO!!!! :eek: :D

I think I partially contributed to that :eek: I linked this on a couple of other forums…and by “a couple”, I mean 18 :D

Strangely enough, nobody on any of them has ever heard of [H]ard Forums befor!

Stratus Fear said:
Sorry, this one is large as well, and the Grab application in Mac OS is also kind gimp (it dithered the crap out of the image). Got my Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ in here today too. Everything works perfectly with the SSE3 support. Now I just wish I had some video drivers...

http://www.stratusfear.com/~wesley/mac3.jpg
is it smooth as silk w/ SSE3 or just less slow?

Qwertyman said:
is it smooth as silk w/ SSE3 or just less slow?

Some things that crashed without SSE3 no longer crashed. It was always pretty fast on the native hardware and slow under VMWare on my machine. I'd attribute the slowness to VMWare. Running it on the native hardware is the way to go.

Stratus Fear said:
Sorry, this one is large as well, and the Grab application in Mac OS is also kind gimp (it dithered the crap out of the image). Got my Mobile Athlon 64 3400+ in here today too. Everything works perfectly with the SSE3 support. Now I just wish I had some video drivers...

http://www.stratusfear.com/~wesley/mac3.jpg
OMG, you have forever imortalized my post in that image! :eek:

... :p

Unknown-One said:
OMG, you have forever imortalized my post in that image! :eek:

... :p

:D

Ok, everybody, step right up for your chance to have a post in an OSX86 screenshot! We'll start the bids at $5!!

If you have an SSE3 supporting proc to run Rosetta, then you can run most current PPC apps. Supposedly the latest Apple apps are already supposed to have dual support built in, or will upon release.

yea i tryed downloading it, booted it and guess what I got yes a nice OSX of !!!!!!, beware of the fakes

Back