P5E-VM HDMI Memory Problems

As to not clutter up the main thread for this mobo, I'm starting a new thread with my problems.

I recently bought a P5E-VM HDMI but ran into lots of problems. At first I thought they were CPU related and I managed to clear some of them up by loosing the CPU Heat Sink(it was running at 50C idle at stock voltage).

However, that wasn't the real problem. When I bought this board, I bought 2 sticks of Corsair XMS2 CM2X-2048-6400C5(it was only $20 :D) at Microcenter. (EDIT)According ot Corsair, they ahve tested them for this board and they work fine. The board seems to hate these things... I just can't get it to post reliably with one or 2 of them. It takes an average of 5 power up/down cycles to get it to post successfully. And usually when it does it reads the total memory for the 2 sticks as 3382MB(OS software works fine though). From my experience with the P5B-VM, Asus boards seem to always bee problematic when it comes to memory. However, I've never seen anything like this. Even my P5B-VM memory issues cleared up eventually.

Don't even get me started on overclocking with this memory! I can get the FSB to 350:( but anything higher than that and Prime 95 will fail. Despite my BIOS settings, it'll keep the FSB locked at 667 and do the 3382MB post error.

I've ruled out CPU problems as being the cause because I stuck one stick of my old G-Skill 1GB modules in and it booted without any problems. I then stuck both in and it had some troublebooting it because I set the voltage for single channel instead of dual(1.8V for single, 1.9 for dual). I even managed to get 400 fsb on the first try and get it to boot to windows.

And one last symptom: If I can get it to boot and warm up, it has few problems rebooting. Its only if I do it from when its completely cold does it have any problems.

So, does anyone have ANY ideas at all or run into this weird problem?

Specs:
CPU: E6400 B2
PSU: 600W Ultra
Graphics: 260GTX 216SP
Memories:
2 x CMX22048-6400C5
2 x G. Skill F2-6400CL 5D-2GBNQ

Last edited:
Pvhk likes to use ballistix memory and he has gotten some really sweet overclocks on this mobo using them. Try the modules he's been using and see if it helps.

Here's the thread to read if you want the skinny on the P5E-VM HDMI.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233021

You can start at the last page and work back to see what people have been using lately.

I also use ballistix memory and it work really good in this mobo imo. I had tried corsair and ocz memory but I think crucial memory is the best.

Thanks for the info. However, I jsut did a memtest86 run on my sticks and they are fine. I also started getting intermittent posting by the machine. I really have no idea what the problem is except that its probably the board. Could it be some sort of power issue? Maybe my system requires more than the 18A/20A 12V rails I have.

My problem seems like a combination of this:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032393759&postcount=780

And

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032364732&postcount=760

Combined with it refusing to overclock.
ie: FSB running at 400 while the CPU is running at 8*266

Last edited:
Back