PhysX on nVidia cards won't work if an ATI card is used

And still I got all the added I.Q up and running fine on XP 32bit and an Intel P4 32 bit CPU, so this is pure BS:
farcryAMD64only.jpg

It wasn't 64 bit exclusive, it wasn't AMD exclusive:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=141616

Did you just make an owngoal? :)

But I guess it's "okay"...because it was AMD who did it?

It's only Intel/NVIDIA that are evel...and AMD can't don any bad *chough*

EDIT:
Anand even says this:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411&p=3
AMD's goals are quite admirable, but the fact of the matter is that none of the visual improvements enabled by the Far Cry patches had anything to do with AMD64 or EM64T. They are artificially limited to run on those platforms alone, but could work just as well on a 32-bit platform.

Guys, this is 2009 and we are talking about nVidia and PhysX. If you want to, you can create your own thread about Far Cry patch.

Guys, this is 2009 and we are talking about nVidia and PhysX. If you want to, you can create your own thread about Far Cry patch.

It's sad when double-stadards are revealed...but funny that one thing must be ignored and one thing MUST be promoted.

AMD did the same thing, only difference was that the Intel users didn't whine about it...we just circumvented it...and that was that.

I guess AMD fans are more "delicate" *shrugs*

Bottom line:
Both companies have done this, neither company is your soul-buddy...and ignoring facts won't make the facts go away :)

It's sad when double-stadards are revealed...but funny that one thing must be ignored and one thing MUST be promoted.

AMD did the same thing, only difference was that the Intel users didn't whine about it...we just circumvented it...and that was that.

Bottom line:
Both companies have done this, neither company is your soul-buddy...and ignoring facts won't make the facts go away :)

I won't have any problem if you want to create a new thread about that, it's just that people won't care about it anymore. You don't need to crap on this thread because this thread is about PhysX and nVidia. Btw you can carry on your argument here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=896615

Don't worry, after exposing the double standards...my "mission" is done ;)

I won't have any problem if you want to create a new thread about that, it's just that people won't care about it anymore. You don't need to crap on this thread because this thread is about PhysX and nVidia. Btw you can carry on your argument here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=896615

Its a completly valid point he is bringing up, regardless if its an old issue. BOTH companies have introduced artifical limitations in the past, and BOTH companies suck for doing it.

I also do see a complete double standard today with regards to NV or ATI, and I own multiple cards from BOTH venders so I am no true fanboi here.

Or what about the infamous Quake/Quack issue that [H] uncovered (here: http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTExLCwsMA==). The point is BOTH companies do this throughout history, and BOTH should be smacked for doing so.

I still say NV is completly in the wrong here with regards to this specific issue. Dont "officially" support the feature (NV based Physx + ATI GPU), but also dont artifically block its usage if the enthusiast community wants to do it on their own.

And if AMD would have gone out of their ways to block intel users, then what?

Bottom line:

This I agree with you on. Both companies have skeletons in their closet. Problem is that some always needs to defend consumer hostile actions like the topic of this thread.

Here's another one that I don't like and which is also releated to CPU's as you did with Farcry:

Starting next year Nvidia will not be able to sell chipsets for AMD Opteron microprocessors, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series processors with or without integrated graphics, next-generation Intel Atom chips code-named Pineview and so on.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainbo...dia_Halts_Development_of_Core_Logic_Sets.html

Basically, Intel and AMD have blocked Nvidia from using their (AMD/Intels) processors in their (Nvidia's) chipsets. I consider that consumer hostile actions. Who knows, perhaps they will continue this path and block access to Nvidia cards as well? Kinda like "if it detects a Nvidia card, then it won't work for quality reasons". Nvidia has been very active blocking out competitors and others are following their path. In the end, us consumers are screwed. I would have loved the irony, if it wasn't for the fact that it limits my choices and now Intel and AMD are screwing with my choices as Nvidia have done. Don't like it one bit! :mad:

Last edited:
Its a completly valid point he is bringing up, regardless if its an old issue. BOTH companies have introduced artifical limitations in the past, and BOTH companies suck for doing it.

I also do see a complete double standard today with regards to NV or ATI, and I own multiple cards from BOTH venders so I am no true fanboi here.

Or what about the infamous Quake/Quack issue that [H] uncovered (here: http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTExLCwsMA==). The point is BOTH companies do this throughout history, and BOTH should be smacked for doing so.

I still say NV is completly in the wrong here with regards to this specific issue. Dont "officially" support the feature (NV based Physx + ATI GPU), but also dont artifically block its usage if the enthusiast community wants to do it on their own.
So is it ok for a company to do something fishy if another company did something similiar before? :rolleyes:

I'm sure that if any company did anything fishy, the consumer will fight back, well except for fanboys. Only fanboys would defend some bad doings from any company.

So is it ok for a company to do something fishy if another company did something similiar before? :rolleyes:

For the love of god, are you stupid or just illiterate and cant read plain text right in front of your eyes? Did I say it was OK anywhere in my comment?

ME said:

For the love of god, are you stupid or just illiterate and cant read plain text right in front of your eyes? Did I say it was OK anywhere in my comment?

So people need to mention every wrong doing of every company in every thread about any wrong doing of another company? Is the thread about that long time still not enough?

I still say NV is completely in the wrong here with regards to this specific issue. Don't "officially" support the feature (NV based Physx + ATI GPU), but also don't artificially block its usage if the enthusiast community wants to do it on their own.

Totally agree with this.

Didn't work for me. any ideas:confused:

Are you using Windows 7? If not, the patch doesn't work.... at least that is what is posted on NGO.

What video cards are you using?

What drivers are you using?

Do you have the PhysX software installed?

Are you using Windows 7? If not, the patch doesn't work.... at least that is what is posted on NGO.

What video cards are you using?

What drivers are you using?

Do you have the PhysX software installed?

Yep win 7.Radeon 4890 Geforce 9600gt.190.38. just the physx installed with the 190.

Tried it again last night using the extend desktop brought back the nvidia control panel,enabled physx. ran mirrors edge flawlessly and get this ran the batman demo with physx just fine but the full game it doesn't:confused:.i'm thinking maybe if i install with the 9600gt as the main gpu it'll let me do it.cause when the demo came out i was running sli.dunno but will try it tonight.:)

just got my 4890 working with my 8800gts for phsyx thanks to the modded drivers. yay :D

just got my 4890 working with my 8800gts for phsyx thanks to the modded drivers. yay :D
Glad to hear it worked for you :)

Hmm anyone know if I can use a 8800 gts 320mb for physx in the pci-e 1x slot?

You can, but it does involve a bit of black magic and possibly some cutting to make the card physically fit. Not sure about the performance impact compared to using it in an x16/8 slot.

Tried my best over the weekend to get physx to work on my 9600 gt with the 4890 installed as main gpu.tried the patch/hack,tried extending displays,tried installing the game with 9600gt as main gpu. still no go.now remember i can get it to work with the demo:confused:. then after that didn't work i said I'll play part of the game w/9600 sli.
well that didn't work either, that's right even when i put nvidia's own card in both slots physx wouldn't work. crazy man..i tell ya. then i said well if i can't get physx to work on nvidia then i may as well put my 4890 back in.now the stupid games for windows live just hangs there doin nothing say's it's updating,even left it alone for 30-60min.

so physx won't work,windows live won't work...hate to say this but maybe i should have got the PS3 version:(

Tried my best over the weekend to get physx to work on my 9600 gt with the 4890 installed as main gpu.tried the patch/hack,tried extending displays,tried installing the game with 9600gt as main gpu. still no go.now remember i can get it to work with the demo:confused:. then after that didn't work i said I'll play part of the game w/9600 sli.
well that didn't work either, that's right even when i put nvidia's own card in both slots physx wouldn't work. crazy man..i tell ya. then i said well if i can't get physx to work on nvidia then i may as well put my 4890 back in.now the stupid games for windows live just hangs there doin nothing say's it's updating,even left it alone for 30-60min.

so physx won't work,windows live won't work...hate to say this but maybe i should have got the PS3 version:(

When you tried all Nv cards, did you make sure that the Ati drivers had been scrubbed from the system? I don't know for certain the mechanism Nv is using to block GPU PhysX, but I would assume some of the things it might look for is Ati drivers and/or reg keys.

When you tried all Nv cards, did you make sure that the Ati drivers had been scrubbed from the system? I don't know for certain the mechanism Nv is using to block GPU PhysX, but I would assume some of the things it might look for is Ati drivers and/or reg keys.

Yep tried uninstalling the ati drivers and then installing the game with just nvidia card's and drivers.still would'nt do physx.:confused:

Honestly, the PhysX in Batman really boils down to a little extra eye candy like smoke, blowing paper, and leaves. The game running in 720p or better with the details up still outshines the PS3 version of the game. This is coming from someone who tends to get the console version of things, too. It's one of those games where the PC version is really, really well done.

yea, for whatever reason I cannot get it to enable on my system either. I've tried the hacks, even went back to the 185 drivers which was before they blocked this but that didn't work either. Oh well. I love my HD5870 MORE than PhysX lol.

I had no problems getting my GTX280 to play nice with my ATI 5870. I wonder why it didn't work for you. I used the latest 190.xx drivers available at the time and the latest available PhysX installer. After running the Batman launcher, I was able to select PhysX HIGH and get to gaming. Wonderful game by the way, I finally got around to completing it last night. I finished it at around 76 or 79%. I need to go back and do the challenge rooms and finish the riddles.

I had no problems getting my GTX280 to play nice with my ATI 5870. I wonder why it didn't work for you. I used the latest 190.xx drivers available at the time and the latest available PhysX installer. After running the Batman launcher, I was able to select PhysX HIGH and get to gaming. Wonderful game by the way, I finally got around to completing it last night. I finished it at around 76 or 79%. I need to go back and do the challenge rooms and finish the riddles.

Well the only thing I can think is that when I did this initial installation of Win7, I had the GTX 280 as primary and 9600GT as PhysX card. I just uninstalled the drivers and loaded my HD5870. So my only thought is that a clean install may fix this - I just haven't had time yet.

Last edited:
Well the only thing I can think is that when I did this initial installation of Win7, I had the GTX 280 as primary and 9600GT as PhysX card. I just uninstalled the drivers and loaded my HD5870. So my only thought is that a clean install may fix this - I just haven't had time yet.
Let's see...

I did the following:

1) removed the drivers for the GTX280
2) powered down and installed the 5870 in the top slot (I doubt the slots matter...)
3) moved the GTX280 to the third PCI-E slot.
4) powered up the PC and installed the ATI drivers and rebooted.
5) installed the NVidia drivers and rebooted.
6) installed the PhysX and rebooted.
7) checked to make sure that Windows saw the devices correctly, then rebooted.
8) entered safe mode and ran the GenL patch and rebooted.
9) extended the display to the VGA screen on the Nvidia card.
10) enabled PhysX on the Nvidia card.
11) ran 3D Mark Vantage to confirm it was working.
12) configured Batman AA and JIMP when I saw the PhysX working correctly.

<side_note> I did not encounter a single hiccup with the Nvidia+ATI setup. Nvidia is full of it. QA my ass. </side_note>

Let's see...

I did the following:

1) removed the drivers for the GTX280
2) powered down and installed the 5870 in the top slot (I doubt the slots matter...)
3) moved the GTX280 to the third PCI-E slot.
4) powered up the PC and installed the ATI drivers and rebooted.
5) installed the NVidia drivers and rebooted.
6) installed the PhysX and rebooted.
7) checked to make sure that Windows saw the devices correctly, then rebooted.
8) entered safe mode and ran the GenL patch and rebooted.
9) extended the display to the VGA screen on the Nvidia card.
10) enabled PhysX on the Nvidia card.
11) ran 3D Mark Vantage to confirm it was working.
12) configured Batman AA and JIMP when I saw the PhysX working correctly.

<side_note> I did not encounter a single hiccup with the Nvidia+ATI setup. Nvidia is full of it. QA my ass. </side_note>

well then I'm just screwed - cause I pretty much did that exactly the same already.

well then I'm just screwed - cause I pretty much did that exactly the same already.

You were running an SLI setup before correct? I read on that long ass thread over at NGOHQ that started this whole discussion here where someone had a similar issue coming from an SLI setup. If memory serves me correct here, they had to fully uninstall all drivers, then reboot into SAFEMODE and run Driver Sweeper to fully remove all things NV and ATI.

Then do the standard reinstall and see if it works now. Something to try at least.

You get get Driver Sweeper from here, and is a great app for removing hidden files/reg stuff: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

DriverSweeper comes in handy with ATI's normal drivers, too. I've gotten several hard locks and hang-ups with ATI's uninstaller. DriverSweeper was the only way to finally kill a driver and CCC off my system.

Just wanted to update and let everybody know that i did get physx to work with batman about a week ago think i figured it out.. i was mising the 1.1 path. don't know how i missed that but anyways it works now.
thanks everyone.:)

So it wasn't a hardware failure but a P.I.C.N.I.C. error ;)

Anyways glad you got it working...patching is a key thing for me...if there is a patch...I apply it ;)

Now I know why nVidia did this, AMD are gaining on nVidia's market share really fast. AMD now has 19.8% of the market and nVidia has 24.9%
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/17834
Compared to the previous quarter, Intel enjoyed 25.2% growth in shipments, AMD saw 30.2%, and Nvidia just 3.3%. Compared to the same quarter a year before, JPR registered growth of 14.6% for Intel, 3.1% for AMD, and -4% for Nvidia (yep, that's a minus sign).

Mine wasnt working before until I went into safe mode to install the modded drivers, then I got the Nvidia control panel and could physx on. Then it worked (works) great....

I used a patch created by GenL that allows hardware PhysX acceleration with my AGEIA PPU which is disabled when the latest PhysX runtime is installed and an ATi card is used. Batman AA works like a champ with some moderate slowdowns in some places where there's little or no PhysX effect, odd. Mirrors Edge, Cryostasis and Fluidmark works fine and even Vantage gave me 2,000 more in the CPU score loll

I can get a hold of a PPU, can you share the patch with me so that I can try it?

Back