Planar PX2611W 26"

Oh, chuck chuck, you're a fool, fool. Get a life, chuck, chuck. And get over with it, nobody is blaming you, stupido.

...We're here for a different reason than you are, so it seems....

I kept it because the 2nd one CDW sent me had terrible patches of bleed.

It also had something new! It had a gold sunburst eminating from the right lower corner that some would say is backlight bleed, but it had a colour. that is unique.

sent that hunk of shit back. Apparently, you need to send things back and forth to get a good planar 26.

From this and what few others were posting here (Toasty's case too?) it sure looks like you need LUCK with this (or is it ANY LCD?) product... All I can say is, I had NO dead, stuck pixels, did not notice any lights bleed, or had any other issues with the PX2611W... KNOCK ON WOOD! ....... Am I a lucky guy?:p:eek::D...............

Oh, chuck chuck, you're a fool, fool. Get a life, chuck, chuck. And get over with it, nobody is blaming you, stupido.

I find your insults and demeaning behavior on this thread highly offensive and will be turning you into the moderator. You should be banned from the site.

Please do not feed the troll.

Guilty as charged?

I agree, guilty as charged. :D

It looks like nothing has changed on this thread. Amikoenig is still dominating with his posts about nothing; and he is still beating up and insulting anyone he disagrees with. No wonder this thread died a long time ago.

Seriously though, is the IPS "glow" in any way visible during normal viewing of the monitor(sitting in front of it), including if you turn your head to look at the side?

Seriously though, is the IPS "glow" in any way visible during normal viewing of the monitor(sitting in front of it), including if you turn your head to look at the side?
---See, that's the point, NO. The only way (so I was told here) to ever check if your LCD has any bleeding lights or glow, is in a TOATLY DARK room, you need to have no signal to the monitor, and then check it.

So to me at least, this is more of a THEORETICAL thing, that -- even if it exists -- does little effect on the picture quality when sitting in front of the monitor in a normaly lit room.

The backlight bleeding and or 'glow' is vastly less noticeable than the 32" Samsung television we have - which has some backlight bleed on the left hand side of the screen that makes it noticeably brighter.

El Jefe: I know you have been looking for a monitor almost as long as I have. I would like you to comment more on what you describe as “contrast shift”. Are you talking about the same contrast shift as in a PVA panel?

If this forum would WORK, your question would have been answered 2-3x by now...

It keeps on crashing or just not recording things the next day when I look for them.

Here is the deal: standing in front of the screen, moving your head around, you dont have to be dead center, you see no contrast waning.

Stand up, move 2 feet to right, the glow takes over and the contrast dies. However, the full spectrum of contrast is THERE and visible. now, you step back like 6-8 feet. there is no form of anything washing out. Odd, yes.

Colours? dont even consider a PVA or mva compared to this. it just sucks compared to this. They will be washed out even dead on, even wide gamut. THis thing is alive, clear, vibrant, accurate, kind huge too :)

text is great. It might not be as great as some lcds that are 900+ dollars, but it sure is freakin more clear than the 500 and below category. Like light years ahead clear. There is no problem with clarity. Only those who have seen the best will argue differences.

It is a great buy!

yes, it is a bit of KNOCK ON WOOD :)

However, if you go with CDW, you can exchange your monitor for any reason for 30 days from receiving it. It is worth doing that. They leave with your old monitor to test it against the new one, then pay shipping back on whichever you like better... I woudl guess they would do this a couple of times it seemed.

Also, planar itself will do this. Can't go wrong for the features it has:

no discernable input lag - least in any lcd that you would consider gaming on ever
is huge = nicer pixel size for text reading without changing dpi's or font sizes in windows
Colour is accurate
Contrasts are fine and dandy for anything except for up close + odd angles.
Movies look sick pimp on it.

For a gamer who has enough cash, I think it is the end of the line.

Thank you for your response. You were looking at the same problem in shifting as I am. I am finally going to decide this weekend on ether this one or the Dell 30”. I edit portrait work and am leaning toward the 30” just because I can blow up a section of the face larger to do smaller editing of a picture with more accuracy.

I am finally going to decide this weekend on ether this one or the Dell 30”. I edit portrait work and am leaning toward the 30” just because I can blow up a section of the face larger to do smaller editing of a picture with more accuracy.

You might want to consider the NEC LCD2490WUXi. ToastyX has been extremely happy with his. He likes it far better than the Planar PX2611W.

You might want to consider the NEC LCD2490WUXi. ToastyX has been extremely happy with his. He likes it far better than the Planar PX2611W.
------- Let's be a bit more honest... Actually that's NOT what Toasty was posting here.... He was comparing the 26" (not 24") NEC to the 26" Planar, apples to apples, and his resolution was -- they're both very much the same, with some similar "issues".... He wasn't totaly thrilled with ANY of the two. But he's a picky guy, almost a professional..... And as a pro, he see's things that nobody else would notice, or in most cases, care.

Actually, I got the 24" NEC last week. It doesn't have faint lines. It doesn't have significant backlight bleeding. The colors are great out of the box, and it can be internally calibrated. It doesn't have oversaturated colors since it's not wide gamut. It doesn't glow like the Planar and other IPS monitors do. It doesn't have problems with checkerboard pixel patterns changing colors. It doesn't have any problems on Macs. It supports 1080p and 720p perfectly. The only thing I could ask for is less lag, but considering how great everything looks, I'm willing to let that slide for now.

Basically, it has the best combination of image quality, color quality, and viewing angles I've ever seen. It's what I've been looking for all this time. No other monitor comes close except maybe the 26" NEC if you don't mind the wide gamut, but even that had some problems.

Three things ruined the 26" NEC and the 26" Planar for me:

1. Faint horizontal lines - I don't know why I'm the only one that can see them.
2. Cloudy backlight bleeding - The replacement 26" NEC was not too bad though.
3. Oversaturated colors due to the wide gamut with no adequate way to reduce saturation - This is no good if you view or work with mostly sRGB content.

The 26" Planar also had banding at 1080p, and I could never get the colors to look quite right because the color controls were inadequate. I like how the NEC monitors can be internally calibrated, so gradients always stay smooth, and the colors look good even with the PS3.

The 24" NEC is the closest to perfect I've seen. If the 26" NEC were just as good, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but NEC refuses to acknowledge the problems I encountered.

I would get he 24" nec if it werent for the fact that I actually play competitive first person shooters.

I push the envelope when it comes to group play and accomplishing crap in 2142. It is a very intelligent game (and fun). I can't have lag. I need the least situation for lag possible. I use a G5 mouse (comfortable mouse!) which has basically lagless (unusual). I have a 11-16 ms ping time to the servers I play on (except a really fun one that gets sometimes 40-60 ms)

add all that up and I have like a starting gate of 24 at most from when I move the mouse until seeing a response. I just cant add 20 to that for the 24" NEC.

I also do not play console games, so no need there.

I love the planar. It is really a rocking lcd. if you get a smooth, uniform backlit unit, you will be incredibly pleased in many ways I can't express.

the PPI is the thing that really set me off against 1920x1200 on a 24". the difference is small, but I see that small difference as the turning point to eye strain. maybe I am old :)

the PPI is the thing that really set me off against 1920x1200 on a 24". the difference is small, but I see that small difference as the turning point to eye strain. maybe I am old :)
Yes, I agree. One of the big advantages of the 1920x1200 on the 26" is a larger PPI than on the 24" -- which is clearly showing on the screen... I don't think one needs to be OLD to enjoy a bit larger type.... All in all, I'm happy with what I got, I can see a BIG difference in photo details (especially in grayscale photos) compared to my 22" ViewSonic CRT, and I have no reason to look further for other products.

ToastyX: If you can see the horizontal lines, I would also. It looks like I am going to own a Dell 30”. At least give it a try. I am sure it will impress me.

I don't see any of these horizontal lines, heck I am happy, I don't have to see the two faint lines I had on the CRT I was using anymore that I did notice the whole time I used trinitron monitors. I have a small amount of backlight bleed, doesn't seem to do anything to the overall picture. I don't have odd checkerboard pattern issues and I have no idea why somebody would call the colors "oversaturated", I call it freaking awesome. I see shades of color I don't think I have ever seen in a monitor.. When I first got it, I thought maybe it was a bit oversaturated, but after a while, it turns out that it's only because the colors are so rich compared to my CRT that had shed such a green cast over everything, dulling the colors.

Now that I have been using this for a few weeks, I think anything else would just look dull, washed out and colorless to me. Toasty also mentioned some blurriness, with the monitor at default with image sharpening turned off in the nVidia panel on my computer it does look slightly blurry. If I hook it up to my ancient PC it looks really blurry (which shows how crappy the old video cards were)... I think that is a property of the output of the video card, because when I set Image Sharpening to 25% in the nVidia panel, it makes everything razor sharp. But even then the 'blurriness' is something thats seen in the text, because the image is set soft by default. If it was the monitor that was the issue I don't think that software settings on the video card would correct it. I think the only thing I really did was turn the brightness on the monitor to 0% and turn the color temp to 9300K.

All that being said, I just have to say I think the blacks are craptastic. If I stand up and look down on the monitor it gets foggy (or 'glows'), which could be annoying to anybody standing up and looking at the picture. All of that, though, seems to be the part of LCD technology where you have to choose what kind of oddity you want to deal with. I mean, the few LCDs I have seen before, if you went to the sides or looked down on it half the screen would just appear dark. Or the colors were dull and had bad contrast. A lot of reasons I would have preferred to skip LCD and wait for the next technology, but seeing as how the others ones are either extremely slow out of the gate or show signs of just turning out stillborn, I think LCDs will be with us for quite some time.

As far as problems with non-PC stuff I can't comment.. I don't have a PS3 or Mac or any of that stuff to try out and give an opinion on.

Agree with much of Uriel's assertions. Me neither, as I mentioned before, haven't noticed any of the issues Toasty mentioned, like horizontal lines, checkerboard pattern or backlight bleed. Colors are very vivid, and might be called saturated, but are quite accurate within color-managed programs like Photoshop or QuarkXpress.

As far as sharpness, mine is set for 40% per Toasty's suggestion, and I'm happy. Being on the Mac (G5) there is no sharpness setting for the video card. Other than that, NO ISSUES with the Mac. I had a problem in the beginning when after adjusting the resolution in the System Prefs., I had to go thru a Zap-the-Pram procedure. Since then, for a couple weeks the resolution first showed up as 1080 and then switched by itself to 1920 --- but even that has disappeared and now it starts up as a native 1920x1200....

Im very happy with this monitor too. For some reason I have the sharpness set to 80 and everything looks fine.

Oversaturation is not an opinion. Saturation is a measurable attribute. Anything not handled by color-managed programs is oversaturated due to the wide gamut. This is a problem if you work with or view mostly sRGB content. You may not be bothered by it. You might even like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's oversaturated.

UrielDagda said:
Toasty also mentioned some blurriness, with the monitor at default with image sharpening turned off in the nVidia panel on my computer it does look slightly blurry. If I hook it up to my ancient PC it looks really blurry (which shows how crappy the old video cards were)... I think that is a property of the output of the video card, because when I set Image Sharpening to 25% in the nVidia panel, it makes everything razor sharp.
By doing that, you are artificially sharpening the image through the video card, then sending the artificially-sharpened image to the monitor. It shouldn't be blurry at all with image sharpening turned off, and the video card shouldn't matter if you're using DVI.

Anyway, don't even worry about the sharpness. Just before getting the 24" NEC, I tried an EIZO monitor which has a newer S-PVA panel, and it was far worse due to the way the pixels are structured. I didn't see anything wrong with the pixels on the 26" monitors, so I couldn't figure out what it was. The 24" NEC doesn't bother me at all, and the 26" NEC doesn't seem much different, so maybe it's the pixel pitch after all.

Also, I came up with a way to test for the horizontal lines. View this image in the bottom-left corner of the screen:
lines-test.png

If one half appears solid while the other half has lines, then your monitor has the lines.
If both halves appear to have faint lines, then your monitor doesn't have the lines.
If both halves appear solid, then you probably can't see the lines even if they're there.

As for the checkerboard pixel pattern problems, did anyone even test this? The problem should be there. It turns out the 24" NEC still has this problem except it's not as strong, and it's only noticeable with darker patterns:
pattern3.png

When I view that image in the bottom-left corner of the screen, some of the square rings turn red, and the rest of the image turns green. That image is not supposed to have any colors. I'm not too concerned about this since this rarely occurs during normal use, so it was never a deal-breaker for me.

UrielDagda said:
All that being said, I just have to say I think the blacks are craptastic. If I stand up and look down on the monitor it gets foggy (or 'glows'), which could be annoying to anybody standing up and looking at the picture.
I can see the glow even from a normal viewing position, especially in dark scenes. That's what I love about the NEC monitors. They're the only IPS monitors I've seen that don't glow like that, which really helps with visual contrast.

Anyway, whatever the case, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I think the NEC monitors look better, but the Planar and Apple monitors have almost no lag and are less expensive.

I see lines in both the gray images and the box pattern on the lower image seems to be less visible to the bottom right of the screen, other than that it appears to have a slightly green tint but that's because I haven't calibrated this monitor at all off the factory settings.

Thanks for taking the time to post the images up though - very interesting :)

Oversaturation is not an opinion. Saturation is a measurable attribute. Anything not handled by color-managed programs is oversaturated due to the wide gamut. This is a problem if you work with or view mostly sRGB content. You may not be bothered by it. You might even like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's oversaturated.

By doing that, you are artificially sharpening the image through the video card, then sending the artificially-sharpened image to the monitor. It shouldn't be blurry at all with image sharpening turned off, and the video card shouldn't matter if you're using DVI.

Anyway, don't even worry about the sharpness. Just before getting the 24" NEC, I tried an EIZO monitor which has a newer S-PVA panel, and it was far worse due to the way the pixels are structured. I didn't see anything wrong with the pixels on the 26" monitors, so I couldn't figure out what it was. The 24" NEC doesn't bother me at all, and the 26" NEC doesn't seem much different, so maybe it's the pixel pitch after all.

Also, I came up with a way to test for the horizontal lines. View this image in the bottom-left corner of the screen:
lines-test.png

If one half appears solid while the other half has lines, then your monitor has the lines.
If both halves appear to have faint lines, then your monitor doesn't have the lines.
If both halves appear solid, then you probably can't see the lines even if they're there.

As for the checkerboard pixel pattern problems, did anyone even test this? The problem should be there. It turns out the 24" NEC still has this problem except it's not as strong, and it's only noticeable with darker patterns:
pattern3.png

When I view that image in the bottom-left corner of the screen, some of the square rings turn red, and the rest of the image turns green. That image is not supposed to have any colors. I'm not too concerned about this since this rarely occurs during normal use, so it was never a deal-breaker for me.

I can see the glow even from a normal viewing position, especially in dark scenes. That's what I love about the NEC monitors. They're the only IPS monitors I've seen that don't glow like that, which really helps with visual contrast.

Anyway, whatever the case, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I think the NEC monitors look better, but the Planar and Apple monitors have almost no lag and are less expensive.
+

The 2 squares look identical to me. I dont see any lines.

At the bottom I see the red rings but no green in the rings just red.

I have considered myself very picky about monitors and how the picture looks. I am coming from Sony F520 CRTs.
I bought a Dell 2007 a couple years ago and didnt like it.......gave it to my son and went back to the CRTs.
I bought the Planar PX2611W, BenQ241W and the Dell 2407HC. I like all 3 of these monitors although they do have different pictures.
I like the Planar the best. I decided to keep all three not only because of the nice pictures but I felt lucky to get monitors with no dead pixels
and no noticeable backlight bleed.

All tests aside it really has to be a personal decision on which looks good to you. If you are happy with the picture quality then who cares about the tests?

Hello to all..

Just ordered Px2611W, Will be here 9/19. Sure hope to be okey with this.

Will be using as PC Monitor for MS Office 2007, PS, Internet. Later use: PC Games, PS3, DVD Player. SHO etc.

Did I make a bad decision? Took me six months to decide. Ha.

Hey Amikoenig. Glad you spoke woke everyone up !

How do you like yours? Others?

In summary, the Planar compares 'well' with the NEC 2690WUXi.

I have no idea what panel the Acer monitor you described is using but both the monitors I mentioned use an LG S-IPS panel so their performance is more or less the same barring differences in the firmware, electronics etc.

Hey Amikoenig. Glad you spoke woke everyone up !

How do you like yours? Others?

I love it. I really do. No issues whatsoever, it just does the job beautifully.

As to Acer's, I have no idea. My PERSONAL feeling is that Acer sells a lower-end line of products... Unless they've changed lately.

Amikoenig..

Good to here that your Planar 26W is working out well.

What applications are you using with the Planar? Any tips to share when you do the Calibration? Will be using Spyder2.

Are you using PS and if so how did the printing workout?

Thanks for sharing..

Amikoenig..

Good to here that your Planar 26W is working out well.

What applications are you using with the Planar? Any tips to share when you do the Calibration? Will be using Spyder2.

Are you using PS and if so how did the printing workout?

Thanks for sharing..

As a designer I use QuarkXpress (page layout), Adobe Illustrator (for logo design and maps), Photoshop (for photo scan, color corrections and photo retouch and manipulation). I'm on the Mac. As for calibration, I use EyeOne, so couldn't give you any tips on Spyder2.

Amikoenig..

Thanks for responding..Should have it setup up by next weekend so we'll see.

Who is this amikoenig? It looked like he had died and now he is back stirring it up again.

amikoenig is one of those who actually have this screen and are now providing information to the user Flyboys. I would hardly call that stirring up. Stirring up is more covering for your "contribution" to this thread. :mad:

Does anybody know how the Planar compares to the Acer AL2616Wd?

My understanding is that Acer is using the same 26" LGP panel (LM260WU1) as the PX2611 - It should be easier to find one on a shelf somewhere and is around $200 less expensive from what I can see...

Back