Planar PX2611W 26"

Anyone know where I can buy the Planar 26inch and have it shipped to
Canada? I tried provantage , but for some reason Planar won't allow shipments
to Canada with provantage . Warranty issues I suppose.

Yeah I saw CDW has it and ship to canada , its quite expensive there.
Almost the price of a NEC well couple hunder less. So now im debating.

Yeah I saw CDW has it and ship to canada , its quite expensive there.
Almost the price of a NEC well couple hunder less. So now im debating.

I would order from CDW. Try giving them a call and talking to an account rep, they may be able to get you a better deal.

Thanks to the following:

notnyt, EW27, and last but not least ToastyX, for being the main leaders in this thread.

Thanks also goes to Luthorcrow, WolfpupNX, and Vidmar as well for making what I see as significant contributions to the thread as well.

I on behalf of everyone here, thank you for your time and contributions. For someone like me who is poor but highly critical, having people who are just as critical as me give their detailed opinions on a subject they clearly know about, really does make my life better, and easier for that fact.

But anyways, on to the point.

So I have basically went through all the threads, and all the monitors. (I just signed up here today :) )

All the DoubleSight monitors? I won't even look at them, just because of their customer service. (but besides that, the N series is discontinued and buzzes, and the W series has a bezel thicker than two 1st generation ipod's put together, that and it has speakers, which clearly says to me they are not in touch with their consumers. That, and the HDMI labels with no HDMI to be found anywhere puts it over the top. Combine that with the "6 dead pixels before we will even LOOK at it, and they are out of Sight (pun intended)).

Dell? Not getting a 30 inch, anything else is TN, which is obviously (from all I have read) exactly what I want to avoid. That and when I look at monitors (I have never seen in person, anything better than a Dell), my eyes always feel irritated if I look at the screen too long. So yeah Dell is out.

That HP IPS? You know, I had read that whole thread (in a new tab in firefox) and I stumbled across one post and it made me immediately nix that monitor and I completely closed it. I forget why, I'll probably have to go back and do more research (I think maybe it was a comment from ToastyX, I'll have to go back and check).

Edit: Found it. ToastyX made a comment that he would pick DoubleSight over the HP.

So (this is the programmer coming out in me)

If DS > HP
And Planar > DS
Then
Planar > HP :D

So yeah the only thing left that looks good is the Planar, with a good seller (CDW, Provantage). Low dead pixel rates, chance of low to no backlight bleed, no lag, color accuracy, sharp text, great pixel pitch, pretty good size, and half of what the NEC costs (and NEC is out, too expensive to not be lag free). This thing looks like it fills my programming/design needs, tv/movie needs, gaming needs, and any other needs. I'm on a Mac so the wide gamut stuff shouldn't be an issue (I think someone said the Cinema Displays are also wide gamut).

So I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this thing. Any thoughts?

potential : Good Message post.

Well, IM done screwing around waiting . Its really time to get rid of this 11 year old
Dell trinitron monitor and be done with it already time to part my ways. LOL . Ive
only own one monitor in the last 11 years so i think its time to do myself a favour.
Tired of waiting for DS to get there crap together and end up buying the PX2611W
from CDW , abit expensive but considering I havn't spent a dime in the last 11 years.
I bought my DELL monitor 11 years about I believe for like 800 bucks and this PX2611W
is gonna cost APX $1000,00 bucks basically works out to a 13 dollar a month investment over the last 11 years. Im sure since ive put up with my dell for the last 11 years i'll
have no problems falling in love with the PX2611W and showing my DELL the door. And
then i'll be wondering why i didnt do this sooner. lol.

No, that looks about right. It's what I was thinking, as well.

Also, since the Planar is currently coming down in price while the HPs price remains quite high (from reputable vendors), I think the Planar makes more sense atm.

-S

I'd recommend the Planar/DoubleSight over the HP because the HP has more lag, an even wider gamut, and it's smaller. I don't like any bit of lag, and the gamut on the HP is way too wide for normal use. Very few people need a gamut that wide. The HP still doesn't sound like a bad monitor, especially considering the price. It does have better contrast and can go lower in brightness, but the glow is still there.

Wide gamut is still an issue on a Mac. Some apps like Safari and Preview are color managed for tagged images, but beyond that, the same issues exist. The Apple Cinema Displays are not wide gamut.

Wide gamut is still an issue on a Mac. Some apps like Safari and Preview are color managed for tagged images, but beyond that, the same issues exist. The Apple Cinema Displays are not wide gamut.

Ok so did a little research. I will post that here for any Mac people that happen to wander by.

First I went here, (pay particular attention to the post @ 9:01 by Gazwas)Then here

As ToastyX outlined, colors were all off whack, and no rollover occured.

Since I use Firefox 3, I went here, Then back here, and all fixed.

Is that really it ToastyX? Besides internet surfing, is there any ubiquitous application that lots of people use that will look downright wrong? And how do I check to see if an application is color managed? In other words, should I be concerned, and is this the type of thing that would completely rule this monitor out for me? (I also boot into XP/Vista/Linux via VMware, so it sounds like that might be a problem. If this monitor ruins color to point where reds are green, then this monitor is sadly a no go from me :( )

Edit: stumbled across this

1. Once I properly calibrate the device (probably using a spyder or something equivalent) I should get accurate matching between my screen display and printed photo, correct? As long as it's calibrated the wide-gamut should not have a negative affect?

as long as you use color managed apps. Picasa for example and windows XP's picture viewer are not color managed. Photoshop (when set up correctly), Lightroom, and basically every app on Mac OS (Aperture, iPhoto, etc) are color managed so those apps should work fine.

Planar makes good stuff, generally. My first LCD was a planar because they had one of the first LCDs on the market that had a response time suitable for gaming. It also came with a telescoping stand so good that I use the stand on my new monitor.

Most of their monitors are more for business than multimedia.

Potential, that seemed like a possibly helpful post, but people are generally loathe to play the "click here" game on links.

For example, would you rather click "zomg, check this out!" or "zomg, check out this new case by Lian Li"? Not only is the second choice a better sentence, but presenting your links this way means people are more likely to click on them rather than skipping them for fear of wasting time.

-S

The problem isn't necessarily that the colors are wrong, which they are. They problem is the colors are too intense, which bothers some people. Reds are still red, but they're more intense. Web surfing is not the only thing affected. Anything that's not color managed is affected, which is almost everything.

Some Mac apps will handle tagged images, but tagged images aren't the only things you see. Untagged images, HTML/CSS colors, Flash and other plug-ins, desktop backgrounds, icons, window elements and themes, games, videos, and anything else that's not color managed will be oversaturated. Whether or not this bothers you is entirely subjective.

Firefox has its own color management that will handle untagged images and HTML/CSS colors, but Flash and other plug-ins are still affected.

I guess the best way to test if an application is color managed is to load this image:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/Browser_Color_Test.jpg

Also, for color management to work properly, your monitor needs to be profiled with a colorimeter. Mac OS X makes a generic profile for your monitor when you plug it in based on what your monitor reports, but it's not guaranteed to be accurate.

Your right seismic, I usually just don't like to litter forums with link strings that fill up the whole page. I usually just hover over a link to see the directory in the bottom left hand corner, but for people that don't I can see your argument. I'll probably do that from now on.

ToastyX.....wow, talk about a complete downer. Without this whole wide gamut business, this would be an absolute no brainer of a purchase. The only thing similar in size, and in quality that does not have wide gamut (if I am correct) is the NEC, which is more expensive and obviously bad at multimedia type things (but to be fair is never touted as such). HTML/CSS colors off, and no way to manage them? I think I want to cry....

So I guess the search continues. I'm off to find screen shots of how wide gamut would look, and if there's absolutely any way to beat my OS up to color manage. Who knows, I might be able to get away with this monitor, but I extremely doubt it. Anyways, thanks guys.

In milliseconds? No.

I believe it's <= 1 frame, according to a guide on the Anandtech forums. I believe Toasty contributed to that, so he might be along to give you a more precise answer later.

-S

FYI, I received my Planar from NextWarehouse.com last week. Beautiful. No dead or stuck pixels. And the price had come down a small bit as well.

Now $748.84 shipped.
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?347243

People stop worrying about it, just buy it, I can guarantee you will love it.

PS: This monitor has no “white glow” that I can perceive.

Good link, Vid. Thanks for your thoughts, man.

The "white glow" is supposedly an issue when seen from angles, notably top and bottom. It's usually observed with that picture of the earth from space. IMO, if this is the only issue a monitor has, and it's not noticeable when looking dead-on, then I'm honestly not that concerned.

-S

Agree wholeheartedly.

"This monitor is absolutely the best monitor I have ever used...but wait... there is some perceivable white glow when I view this monitor at an extreme angle that I would never view it at otherwise..........I'm returning it for an Acer"

Good link, Vid. Thanks for your thoughts, man.

The "white glow" is supposedly an issue when seen from angles, notably top and bottom. It's usually observed with that picture of the earth from space. IMO, if this is the only issue a monitor has, and it's not noticeable when looking dead-on, then I'm honestly not that concerned.

-S

The H-IPS white glow is greatly exaggerated, and in any case, is still much better than the color and contrast shift on TNs and VAs, or even the "colored glow" on older IPSs. Its only visible at extreme viewing angles or in the very corners if you're sitting too close. Once I adjusted height, tilt, and distance relative to my position, I never had a problem with it. Also, keep in mind that the farther you are from the screen, the less perceptible it is, so it certainly does not interfere with watching movies.

I owned the best VAs that ViewSonic and NEC make, and the difference in viewing angles was immediately apparent the moment I turned the Planar on. On a large TN/VA widescreen, you can actually see contrast/color shift from the middle of the panel to the sides even when sitting stationary directly in front of the monitor! On the Planar, I have to stand up and go looking for the glow to see it...

EW27 said:
Its only visible at extreme viewing angles or in the very corners if you're sitting too close.
The only ones saying this are the ones that haven't seen a monitor with the A-TW polarizer. If it's only visible at extreme angles, then why would I care about it? Unless you're sitting at least 4 feet away, it's visible even when you're sitting in front of the monitor, especially towards the corners. Of course, it's not as bad in front of the monitor as it is at an extreme angle, but there's still a visible difference. Everyone that has seen both versions of the DoubleSight agree that the one with the A-TW polarizer looks much better. Try sitting 6 feet away and notice how the contrast looks better. That's how it looks from a normal viewing distance with the A-TW polarizer.

By the way, people that have gotten the DS-265W have confirmed getting ones with the A-TW polarizer, so it might still be worth considering.

The only ones saying this are the ones that haven't seen a monitor with the A-TW polarizer. If it's only visible at extreme angles, then why would I care about it? Unless you're sitting at least 4 feet away, it's visible even when you're sitting in front of the monitor, especially towards the corners. Of course, it's not as bad in front of the monitor as it is at an extreme angle, but there's still a visible difference. Everyone that has seen both versions of the DoubleSight agree that the one with the A-TW polarizer looks much better. Try sitting 6 feet away and notice how the contrast looks better. That's how it looks from a normal viewing distance with the A-TW polarizer.

By the way, people that have gotten the DS-265W have confirmed getting ones with the A-TW polarizer, so it might still be worth considering.

Toasty,

While I cannot comment on how this monitor visually compares to the other IPSs which have an A-TW polarizer, I can compare it to what I do own.

I own a Dell 1905FP, BenQ G2400WD, Dell 2707 and this Planar. I can tell you without hesitation that the Planar is bar far the best of all the above. Granted the Dell 2707 is really the only one of the four even comparable.

Hmm, I just had a thought, how many of you wear glasses? Or more specifically glasses with polarizer’s in your lenses? I wonder if that would have an effect on how you see these displays?

Vid

I saw your photos of the NEC vs. the Planar, and I would definitely prefer the polarizer...but compared to every other compromise you have to make to own any non-IPS, or even other IPSs with twice the lag, I feel its relatively minor.

If the DS has it, then its the LCD to buy. But not all the 263s did, and if you got one it was just a lucky mistake, because even Doublesight couldn't tell you if their product had the fucking thing or not! Meanwhile, they used another company's manual, and this time they have labels on the case for USB and HDMI ports that do not exist...

So which monitor is better Picture wise , PX2611 OR the DS-263N without a polarizer.
And how does the DS-263N stand up with a Polarizer? for picture and color?

As for the DS-265W? since it has HDMI and USB labels on the back panel? Does that mean
A second batch of 265W will support HDMI and USB? could be another crap shoot in the makings.

So which monitor is better Picture wise , PX2611 OR the DS-263N without a polarizer.
And how does the DS-263N stand up with a Polarizer? for picture and color?

As for the DS-265W? since it has HDMI and USB labels on the back panel? Does that mean
A second batch of 265W will support HDMI and USB? could be another crap shoot in the makings.

Planar vs. 263 w/o polarizer = same panel, same gamut.

Planar vs. 263 w/polarizer = 263 is better.

As for the missing ports, who knows what it means? Not even Doublesight most likely.

Looks like this LCD has dropped a lot since the start of this thread. It is now $499 on newegg. Everyone who has it still happy they got it? Sadly I have only ever used TN panels, and occasionally a HD-TV. So this would be my first dip into the IPS world.

It is like 760ish on Provantage, and you don't get screwed by newegg's wretched LCD policy.

I just ordered this monitor from CDW, it was $820 same as newegg, but they charge sales tax on top of that.

When I ordered it they said it was in stock, but the next day when I checked the order status it said it was backordered until next Tuesday.

Also, it is no longer in stock at amazon.com and a few other stores.

Does the fact that this panel's prices have dropped; and it seems to be in short supply; indicate that it is about to be discontinued and replaced with a new panel?

Also I wonder if Planar does come out with a new panel, will it likely just be a chassis refresh like the DS-263, or is it possible LG is coming out with a new panel?

On an unrelated note, how thick is the base stand for this monitor? I ask because I like to have my monitor as far forward on my desk as possible. My current monitor has a similarly designed disc-shaped base, and it is almost too thick to allow the front of my keyboard to go over the base. I like to have the front of my keyboard touching the bottom of the monitor's bezel. :)

I also ordered the Planar from CDW but the canadain end of it. they are
charging me $940.00 for the monitor and will not be shipped till the end
of the month . Perhaps Planar is discontinueing the monitor.. its been out
awhile now and I guess its due for another lineup of monitors. should be
interesting the next 6 months.

Just a warning: watch out for CDW. On their website, they will not post if they have no availability of a monitor. I ordered this monitor last Sunday, and a representative called me monday, telling me that they were out of stock and it was on back order. The monitor is scheduled to arrive @ CDW on Monday, and I will get it around Thursday. So in other words, in 2 weeks time from the order date, I will receive this monitor.

I talked to a representative about this, and he was pretty peeved about it also. He said that support has requested that if a monitor is not available, then it be shown on the website to call for availability. He was pretty sincere about it, and the customer service has been great. Nonetheless, They are selling it for a fair amount of money, + shipping, where as other companies are selling it for less with free shipping. I'm trying to see if another retailer stocks it, and has a no hassle return policy.

Just a warning: watch out for CDW. On their website, they will not post if they have no availability of a monitor. I ordered this monitor last Sunday, and a representative called me monday, telling me that they were out of stock and it was on back order. The monitor is scheduled to arrive @ CDW on Monday, and I will get it around Thursday. So in other words, in 2 weeks time from the order date, I will receive this monitor.

I talked to a representative about this, and he was pretty peeved about it also. He said that support has requested that if a monitor is not available, then it be shown on the website to call for availability. He was pretty sincere about it, and the customer service has been great. Nonetheless, They are selling it for a fair amount of money, + shipping, where as other companies are selling it for less with free shipping. I'm trying to see if another retailer stocks it, and has a no hassle return policy.

Actually for me it was even worse. I ordered the monitor, and then when a CSR called me to confirm my order (for CC authorization I guess), he said it was in stock and would be shipping that day. When I called the next day and mentioned this, the second CSR said something about "well maybe we had only a few in stock, and someone else's order got priority over yours". What a load. :p

so is this monitor s-ips or h-ips? i have read almost all the forum pages on this monitor and see that the terms are used interchangeably. Does anyone have any kind of hard evidence that this is H-IPS vs. the S-IPS? I already ordered mine from costcentral.com for $768 with FREE shipping, can't wait to get it, calibrate it, and salivate. Upgrading from a 20" 4:3 ratio sammy tn panel lcd connected to my mac pro

Wow, CDW is a load of crap. Every day they pushed back the estimated ship date by a day, then it went back to being tomorrow, now I just checked it and the ship date is October 25th. I'm never ordering anything from them again, that is just shady. They went from telling me it was shipping the day I ordered it, to being 2 months back ordered.

QuantumPion : Did you order from the Canadain CDW? or US?
I ordered mine via the Canadain CDW about a 1 week and a half ago and
was told it woud be shipped out sometime next week .. Hopefully it does.

QuantumPion : Did you order from the Canadain CDW? or US?
I ordered mine via the Canadain CDW about a 1 week and a half ago and
was told it woud be shipped out sometime next week .. Hopefully it does.

US. The CSR said that they had a total of like 8 orders in the US, that I was 3rd in line, and that they had an order of 15 from the distributor but that they hadn't shipped and the order kept getting pushed back.

Check your order status on the CDW web page, see if it got moved back, or just call them. They do have excellent CSR's, I'll give them that.

just an update. i received the monitor today. I put in the order friday night so it didn't get processed till yesterday and i already have the monitor on my doorstep. That is really amazing. CostCentral.com scared me at first since i have never even heard of them but they turned out to be a great reseller with the best price, 768.00 with free shipping via fedex. Once i get this thing plugged in and calibrated i'll give you guys some more feedback.

Back