Post a screenshot of your linux!

cappy said:
Can everyone make sure to state their distro? It really helps. Thanks.

Well not really.. their all linux, and you can make them all look the same ^_^. I say name your Window Manager/Desktop Environment, as well as the theme name :D

They aren't all Linux. I posted a FreeBSD/XFree86/WindowMaker screenshot. :rolleyes: But you're right about being able to make them all look the same.

saturnine2 said:
Mandrake 10, newest kernel version (cant remember off-hand)
snapshot1.jpg
ROFL, Where did you get that? :D

Ibanez3434 said:
ROFL, Where did you get that? :D
I got the background from http://slackwise.net/images/ its called tux_swat, and the karamba I got from kdelook The XMMS and gkrellm skin comes with the Mandrake package.
This is really my first linux desktop custom theme, I usually dont care what my desktop looks like. But these [H] linux guys showed me the light ;) Now my desktop not only looks cool, but works good also.

Doom 3 on SUSE 9.0 using Cedega, about 30fps average at 800x600 with Medium quality using a Ti4600. Screenshot is 1024x768 and High quality... still very playable. Click on image for full size.

How well does D3 run through Wine/Cedega?

hehe... scratch that, I did not read your post comments :eek:

30fps vs. 47fps (from [H] article of roughly same architecture) with same setting under Windows... that's not too bad (well it's really bad if we're not talking wine)...

Yes, we must bring it back on track.

Like this, which is almost the polar opposite of talking about doom 3.

catmouse3.jpg

5:28pm up 3 days, 4:15, 6 users, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
95 processes: 93 sleeping, 2 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 1.4% user, 0.4% system, 7.1% nice, 12.6% idle
Mem: 256500K av, 251824K used, 4676K free, 0K shrd, 27728K buff
Swap: 522104K av, 12960K used, 509144K free 158876K cached

PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
3403 root 19 19 2296 2148 1012 S N 96.2 0.8 1043m FahCore_78.exe
6296 will 12 0 1080 1080 836 R 2.8 0.4 0:00 top
1 root 8 0 472 436 420 S 0.0 0.1 0:03 init
2 root 8 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 keventd
3 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kapmd
4 root 19 19 0 0 0 SWN 0.0 0.0 0:00 ksoftirqd_CPU0
5 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:14 kswapd
6 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 bdflush
7 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kupdated
8 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 khubd
9 root -1 -20 0 0 0 SW< 0.0 0.0 0:00 mdrecoveryd
10 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kjournald
125 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kjournald
126 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kjournald
127 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 kjournald
397 root 9 0 0 0 0 SW 0.0 0.0 0:00 eth0
447 root 9 0 572 532 492 S 0.0 0.2 0:00 syslogd
what's a "window manager"? oh, you fellows must be talking about that "Z Windows" that everyone is yammering about... hey you kids, get off my lawn!

PuTTY is your friend.

Compaq laptop, Athlon XP 1800/512mb
Fedora Core 2 - 2.6.5 ~ (soon to be replaced with Gentoo)
Gnome 2.6

FC2.jpg

http://www.cca.org/dave/tech/screen-root.png

fvwm running on OpenBSD. Solaris, Irix, & AIX boxes also involved.
Mono display. (The notable things about this are that xload/whatever
has been replaced with xterm windows displaying vmstat (or netstat
on the firewall (sun1)), and you can't see it here, but the
dock has windowshade up/down buttons, which I prefer to the
OS X style "hover over it" style of doing things.) Also, no
icons, and nothing sits on the desktop except windows. The
labels above the vmstat displays are also buttons that start
an xterm on that machine. The lines below the clock are xcb.

On a related note, why, oh why, does irix ship with telnet and not ssh?

I'll have to get around to getting the openSSH tardist sometime. *grumble*

Because Irix sucks? :)
I run Irix because nothing else fully understands SGI graphics
hardware, and SGI hardware is keen. But I would *never* use
it as my main environment!

Arkaine23 said:
Overclockix 3.4

snapshot20.jpg
Really cool stuff there man. What programs are you running on the right hand side to display that info? Or is that part of the overlockix package? If so anyone know anything similar to that(not gkrellm) that can be put into a transparency mode? And is that the default folding@home client?

HHunt said:
On a related note, why, oh why, does irix ship with telnet and not ssh?

I don't think SGI has sold any machines in the last 5yr, so they probably haven't bothered upgrading Irix. ;)

shieldforyoureyes said:
Because Irix sucks? :)
I run Irix because nothing else fully understands SGI graphics
hardware, and SGI hardware is keen. But I would *never* use
it as my main environment!

It has more quirks than a 150 yearl old house. :D
I mean, they definitely tried. Some things are clean, fast and simple, some things are good ideas, but it's just so ... ... unwilling.
(I'm stuck trying to compile myself a somewhat recent gcc. :) )

this was my knoppix desktop, since then i have upgraded to SUSE, and have not done much or any customizing, so i will just post this one for now. forgot what the theme was called
linuxirc.jpg

Lol, I'd post mine, but, I generally keep the customization to a surprising minimum (surprising because I tend to custom the heck out of every setting their is, but, by the time I'm done, it looks surprisingly normal.) Also, right now I'm keeping the graphics down to a minimum due to my video card (6800nu shipping soon!) Really though, it is a very basic KDE windows-ish look with the nice Keramic theme for the windows, and the marble theme for buttons/etc. I always had troubles with backgrounds. I can never find anything that feels right. So, for now I'm using the default.

Now, what I wish I COULD show you a screenshot of is my console. I love it. I'm using a 1280 resolution framebuffer, and, Mandrake came with this neat little logo that shows up in the background in the bottom right corner of the screen. You can see the logo through text or whatever, and the text doesn't erase it, so I guess it's using actual layering. Many of you probably have something like this, but I still can't help but find it neat since the last real time I tried linux even framebuffer was too experimental to use (I had to use that SVGATextMode program that used a system kind of like X to get decent resolutions, and it was a pain in the rear to configure it to actually work instead of giving you a turned off monitor as you had to get timings perfect.) In fact, this is part of why my desktop is too boring to bother with a screenshot. I spend most of my time in the REAL console (I hate opening a console inside X. I like TRUE full screen.) In fact, it always drove me crazy that if you don't explicitely set it to not boot directly to X and give you that nice little GUI login screen, it's almost impossible to get back to the real console (probably some of you think it's easy to fix this to get the GUI logon and still a real console, but, I sure don't know how and, besides, I prefer the console login now that even it looks nice.)

One of these days I have to get around to finding out how to change that console logo to something a little neater. Maybe give it a sort of dark marble background or something -- nothing too heavy.

EDIT: Eh, changed my mind. If anyone actually cares, here's the screenshot of my current setup in X:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/J/o/JoshSloan_SM/Nazo_Linux.png

Nazo said:
I spend most of my time in the REAL console (I hate opening a console inside X. I like TRUE full screen.) In fact, it always drove me crazy that if you don't explicitely set it to not boot directly to X and give you that nice little GUI login screen, it's almost impossible to get back to the real console (probably some of you think it's easy to fix this to get the GUI logon and still a real console, but, I sure don't know how and, besides, I prefer the console login now that even it looks nice.)

Actually, on most linux distributions, you can press CTRL+ALT+F1 through F7 (sometimes F1-F12) to get a console. This is a real console; linux is multiuser, so you can have several console logons and X logons at the same time.

Yeah, but, I didn't know about that at the time. Doesn't matter now that framebuffer has become a viable option though. In fact, it has the added advantage that it will be 50x easier if my grandmother should need to shutdown my computer in an emergency (raging storm, whatever) and I'm not there. She couldn't see well enough to click on stuff at all. ^_^ And the shorter the instructions are, the better.

Anyway, I really always was a console person. Back in 95-96, I still primarily used dos and loaded windows when I was done gaming or wanted to play one of those few games that were actually better in windows. (Some sierra games, for example were high resolution in windows.) I still occasionally use the command prompt rather a lot. Needless to say, I have cygwin installed. ^_^

Well, I previously posted my XFCE desktop, and now my GNOME 2.6 desktop. Just for the record, the font on the title of windows is the UnrealTournament.ttf one.

CurrentDesktop.jpg

For me, "real console" means a text terminal. Most of my machines
don't have framebuffers. I even have an actual vt100. (It's mostly
of historic interest, I normally use a vt320.)

Oh, I understand that, but, you just can't beat the sheer volume of characters you can fit with a 1280x1024 resolution -- well, except maybe with a higher resolution. d-: Still, technically speaking, it IS a text terminal after all. It just uses some tricks to fit more text effectively.

Back