Post your 4890 overclocks

Surprised at how cool this card is. Much more cooler than my Toxic HD4850 and VisionTek HD4850.

A quick view into my system with the Diamond OC edition 4890.

4890loadfurmark.JPG

what case do you have and how many fans? my one goes over 85C running furmarK!

what case do you have and how many fans? my one goes over 85C running furmarK!

Antec 900 with 2 front fans, 1 side fan, 2 exhaust fans and 1 fan in side of the case adjacent to the gpu slots hdd bay drive.

This is it with 2 HD4850s in cross fire.

GSkillup44310SMALL.JPG

Also not sure what kind of cooler other HD4890s have. I'm running the Diamond OC edition 4890. Maby it has a better heat sink and fan. Not only is it cool but it seems to do a good job of blowing the heat out the back of the case.

Here is what it looks like in my case.
HD4890

HD4890singleGM2small.JPG

Expecting at least 20,000 3dMark06 score with it.

next time i try i will use gpuz for pix, but ran the autotune and got this

ati_overdrive_13may09.jpg

on a Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 OC edition

XFX 4890

900/1050 max on stock volts with no artifacts.

It will run up to 940 without crashing games but anything over 900 results in artifacts.

To get 950 without artifacts required 1.375 volts and things just got too hot and the fan had to run too loud.

Memory will run higher without me seeing a problem but anything over 1050 fails the self test in CCC so I just left it there to be sure.

ATI's auto-tune system is a joke -- it's like trying to automatically OC your CPU with Nvidia's Ntune. Just because the utility claims your card will run stable at 1GHz at stock clocks doesn't mean it actually will.

Looks like ATI is now shipping factory overclocked 4890's to vendors, with stock core clocks of 1ghz.

So we will see stock 1ghz cards coming soonish then.

920Mhz on GPU and 1010Mhz on memory with stock volts are 100% artifact free. Anything higher causes error counter rise in OCCT Gpu test, even if there are no visible errors.

To those with high clocks, please could you download OCCT stress utility? Its more commonly used for CPUs with Linpack test included and all, but its GPU part is also very very good, almost as stressing as furmark with high VRMs and all, but unlike Furmark it has sensitive error & artifact counter. Much better (meaning more accurate) than using your eyes only for picking up artifacts. Run it and see if your clocks truly are that error free.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Mine maxes out at 74C after playing games for a few hours. I did a very mild OC of 900 core and 1075 memory. Temp isn't much lower at stock. This OK?

Mine maxes out at 74C after playing games for a few hours. I did a very mild OC of 900 core and 1075 memory. Temp isn't much lower at stock. This OK?

Everything below 90 and you are all good, (HD4xxx serie is HOT and can take a lot of abuse!) even above isnt too alarming in stress tests but I dont really consider it safe on long term especially you get those temps by gaming only. You still have a lot of room for overclocking. But use stress tests to get worst-case scenario temperatures, and not just video games. OCCT I linked above is really good, and Furmark is another good one but it is almost suicidial stress test as it really screws around in VRM stressing in a way that no 3D application will ever ever do.

Last edited:
I not sure why people don't post the vrm temp as well. The vrm temp are probably more important than the gpu temp because I think there is a max temp shutdown failsafe in place.

I notice that on xtremesystem forum people post over 130*c on vrm. Maybe they have 4870s (actually I think they probably have 4890 since they are doing 1ghz gpu), but on mines if vrm temp reaches 95-110*c system shuts it self down and 3d may crash if you hover before that temp. Meanwhile my gpu temp is 60-70*c. I wonder if it is a bios limitation that sets the vrm to go off. I read vrm should be good up to 150*c.

Last edited:
I have a Sapphire HD4890, picked it up about a month ago.

Mine is stable at 950/1025... it starts to artifact around 975/1100 so I dialed it back a bit.

Pretty quiet card too, fan never goes above 40% in CCC even at full load.

The card is stable at 1000/1025 with the fan cranked to 100% but that is far too dustbusters loud to use on a constant basis; at 40% it is no more audible than any of the other fans in my system.

Hey folks, pretty new to the overclocking stuff, just built my first desktop rig, I have been a laptop junkie due to work. I've got an gigabyte p55 ud4p mb, with i7 860 processor, 4 gigs of ripjaw ram, in an azza solano case, also have a modular 850 psu, I am doing alright with my clocks on the 4890, just running one at hte moment, I am around 1000 on memory and 920 on the core clock, I'll get some screen shots later, just putting the computer in a new room. Any tips would be great.

Back