Project: ATCS 840

nice job on the derlin top....looking foward to seeing more pics of this project. Its looking pretty nice.

As always, thanks so much for following and the feedback left :cool:

I know a few people seem to be getting a bit confused with regard to vents and side panels with me already having the panels powder coated and the vents being white.

Just to clear that up - i found a while ago that powder coat gives a great base for paint and gets rid of all the brushed anodised finish so that's why its been powder coated already.

The vents need to be secured in place and smoothed in with car filler (bondo) but will eventually be painted all the same colour.

Anyway, vents in place and started filling and sanding which usually consists of 3 or 4 goes to get it looking completely smooth but decided to lay a coat of primer on after the first go with filler just to show how far i'm off but it is easier to see the direction of the vent now its all one colour.....even though its just in primer.

atc_62.jpg

atc_63.jpg

atc_64.jpg

atc_65.jpg

Great looking work on all the parts thus far. Keep it up, cant wait to see the final product.

Excellent work man.
BTW.....Great pictures

Cheers F.E.A.R. :)

Anyway, how cool is this???

I got to give a massive shout out to Willie at HWLabs for making me a one off GTX30 X-Flow Rad for the ATCs mod.

Over the years Willie has become a good friend and work colleague who simply put, just seems to love getting involved with my mods and this time is no exception.

He knows i tend to go for an X-Flow Rad as it makes for much easier hose routing so this time when i asked for something special he came up with the idea of having a total one off GTX which is just amazing of him to construct it for me.

As you can tell, i'm pretty happy.....and rightly so in my book as there is not many manufacturers that will go to this extent so hats off to you Wille :cool:

atc_hwlabs_1.jpg

atc_hwlabs_2.jpg

atc_hwlabs_3.jpg

Started to do a bit of work on the new top grill.

Started with a 6mm sheet of aluminium and the plan is to replicate the front piece which was always going to be interesting as the original front is extruded alu and i had to copy it with a sander!!!

I did try with my little mouse sander but i'd have been lucky to make CeBIT next year at that rate so went and hired a heavy duty sander.

Well that made short work of it but it was a work of art to get the chamfer perfect all the way down the length and not sure if it was pure luck or skill but got there in the end then finished it off with fine grit and my little mouse sander.

I've also had the same cut (only smaller) in the front section which will both have mesh added later.

I'll get the last couple of bits to powder coat tomorrow and all in all i seem to be getting there and i should have it off for paint at the back end of the week......touch wood.

atc_67.jpg

atc_66.jpg

atc_68.jpg

atc_69.jpg

atc_70.jpg

atc_71.jpg

atc_72.jpg

atc_73.jpg

I really like where you're taking this. Looks great so far, keep up the good work!

The Rad Willie made for you is awesome! This is looking great, can't wait to see the end product.

that radiator is top notch stuff,
nice work with the alu, this is a great looking project

My apologies for this going on for so long but unfortunately its at that boring stage of just getting it all primed and wet sanded ready for paint.

I had hoped to get it down there today but a few of the bits were late getting to powder which had a knock on effect but it should all be ready to go early next week.

The top vent has turned out pretty nice though again its waiting for primer and i'm also making some shiny highlight rails for it.

On a positive note though, Zotac have me some real nice cards coming but won't be here till mid February so gave me a 9800GTX to get the system up and running with for the time being which was nice of them and my friends at Intel have got involved but more on that later.

Anyway a few pictures of it in primer......well most of it.....

atc_74.jpg

atc_75.jpg

atc_76.jpg

atc_77.jpg

For me, this is what modding is all about, there is nothing more satisfying than making something out of basically nothing and i'm never happier than with a piece of aluminium and a few tools.

I've made one for now but there will be one either side of this one, slightly shorter in length and there will be another three for the front section so i best get a wriggle on.

atc_78.jpg

atc_79.jpg

atc_80.jpg

atc_81.jpg

atc_82.jpg

atc_83.jpg

atc_84.jpg

atc_85.jpg

atc_86.jpg

First of all i got to thank Intel for again making another killer mod possible by getting me a hand picked i7 965 CPU so at least while the rest of the case is away getting painted i can hopefully get the system up and running all be it on the bench and without the final GFX cards but its a start in the right direction as there is only 21 days to go.

Well, these simple little rails turned out taking a lot longer to complete than i'd originally thought but they are done now and look great so i'm well pleased with them and its another box ticked ;)

atc_87.jpg

atc_88.jpg

atc_89.jpg

atc_90.jpg

atc_91.jpg

Yup, those rails are definitely worth it! Congrats on the CPU too :)

Awesome work!

I have only one question, for the car filler, do you basically let it harden and then sand it down? I have never used it before, but I have used epoxy for modeling and I know you mix in a catalyst and let it harden then sand.

thanks!

Nice case, I wish I could afford one :(
That looks amazing though, I really like the rails and black Aluminum frame or borders for them.

Awesome work!

I have only one question, for the car filler, do you basically let it harden and then sand it down? I have never used it before, but I have used epoxy for modeling and I know you mix in a catalyst and let it harden then sand.

thanks!

Spot on Mike - mix the filler and hardner and apply then ready to sand in 10 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for the feedback :cool:

I ended up taking it to the painters this morning and decided on Ardent Red which is a Lotus colour and should look OK with satin black grills and chrome rails...........i hope!

Etch primed, painted, clear coated, oven baked and machine polished so should have the same finish as a car would with any luck :)

I'll find out in a couple of days if i made the right choice and thanks again :(

ardent_red.jpg

Well that was an experience..............i thought it would just fly together but it turned out like trying to do the Rubik's cube all over again.

Anyway, i made a start and just had to get a few pictures before actually adding the hardware but i got to say, its definitely RED

Here we go to round the week off.............

atc_94.jpg

atc_96.jpg

atc_97.jpg

atc_99.jpg

atc_100.jpg

atc_101.jpg

atc_102.jpg

atc_103.jpg

Oooh shiny... Looks like it should have wheels on it. :D Maybe a chrome muffler out the back.

Yeah, it definitely has a bit of a car theme going :D The flip-up connector 'box' reminds me of the head lights on certain Ferrari cars and such :)

My apologies for this one post as its a little jumbled but i seem to have a lot going on right now and i still haven't even started putting the hardware in but hey.............nothing like cutting things fine.

Anyway, its a show case right?? so who needs a ROM drive??

The fan new Scythe fan controller looked way out of place so it was time to get busy and stealth the sucker as well as both Bay-Res's and the end result is way better and in keeping with the windows which i also managed to get done.

Knocked up a simple dual plexi bay with Poly Weld, covered it in black out film and mounted the Scythe to it which basically gives the same effect, only bigger and mounted above the two Bay-Res's you start to see the look that i was originally looking for especially in the last picture.

Next week i guess i best get busy on the inside.

Loads of pictures as usual......see if they make any sense!!!!!

atc_104.jpg

atc_105.jpg

atc_106.jpg

atc_106a.jpg

atc_107.jpg

atc_108.jpg

atc_109.jpg

atc_110.jpg

atc_111.jpg

atc_112.jpg

atc_114.jpg

atc_115.jpg

atc_116.jpg

I like having a rom drive personally, even on a show case... You could do a hole in the same piece of plexi the fan controller is in... Something like this...
AntecMod.jpg

AntecMod.JPG

At last, started to get some liquids into this thing, all be it only the CPU / NB loop but its a start.

My Zotac GTX 295's left Hong Kong yesterday and according to TNT track and trace they landed at Heathrow at 9.30am this morning so i would imagine they will arrive tomorrow...........only problem is that they are two of only three samples here in the UK and i got to fit the damn blocks myself but i guess that's the price you pay for getting early samples and its no biggy to be fair.

Anyway, its leak testing at present and all looking well.

atc_117.jpg

atc_118.jpg

atc_119.jpg

atc_120.jpg

atc_121.jpg

Back