Project: Batman Begins (completed!!!)

No experience. I'm just wingin it. :D I just know how to get things the way I want it.

Hey seeing how you are winging it.. would by any chance happen to have a full blown machine shop righ tbehind you..
i mean damn.. project is coming along nicely.. cant rush good product..
anyways.. any recommendations for any hardware or machinery you like to use.. I like the rivet job.. not to mention the bending and folding part... how did you accomplish that?

I realize it's quite thick but trust me, it'll all be worth it.
When I first saw the formed angle aluminum i was afraid you would be making the case fairly thin. Now that i see that side piece mounted i am glad you decided to go super fat. Bigger is always better. Bigger = big impact.

Crazystick said:
Hey seeing how you are winging it.. would by any chance happen to have a full blown machine shop righ tbehind you..
anyways.. any recommendations for any hardware or machinery you like to use.. I like the rivet job.. not to mention the bending and folding part... how did you accomplish that?
some how i dont think there rivets!!!
Qtip42 said:
Rivets are permanent. I'd rather use tiny screws so I can take everything off in the end and paint it. Rivets make it so I have to paint everything at once.

Crazystick said:

Machine shop? what machine shop? :D I dun see no machine shop. :D

I hardly used anything making this case thus far. A bending brake, drill press, and a screw driver. As far as recommendations go, look at my site, it has a tools of the trade writeup in the how-to section. Goes over basic tools.

Oh a bending break thats all... what a cheater! no wonder it looks so good. Why, we use a t-square and the edge of a table round here. Seriously though, could you bend some metal for me... :eek: i want a break for my shop. What size and what brand did you go with?

I believe you can find bending brakes on Freight Harbor for like $20 although I don't know if these well be good enough to do something like this. What do you say Qtip? I'm also looking to get one so I can finish my case.

Ya look at harbor freight. Cheap ones work just as well as bigger ones. I don't have THAT many tools in my shop but I'm a tool freak so I do have a few :D

sorry for being anxious.... i tend to look at pics first then read..lol.. anyways.. any ideas on what you wanna do next.. looks real good.. damn good..

to make your pictures less yellow you are gonna need to play around with the whitebalance in your camera. but if you have a cheap one, it isn't gonna have that setting.

fixed with paint shop pro
which does apparantly not suck so bad :-p

fixed.jpg

Crazystick said:
sorry for being anxious.... i tend to look at pics first then read..lol.. anyways.. any ideas on what you wanna do next.. looks real good.. damn good..

Well after having 3 days off I'm getting back in to work on it. Right now I'm just gonna finish the bat up and try to get the console part built quickly. Other than looking glossy and glow-y, the bat doesn't have much else going for it. The console will be the cool part.

CombustibleMonkey said:
fixed with paint shop pro
which does apparantly not suck so bad :-p

http://public.mojobox.org/uploads/fixed.jpg/img][/QUOTE]

I know PSP is pretty good but I'm a noob when it comes to chopping pics to make them look better. I'll mess with the white balance on the cam Still using my trusty olympus C2100 for regular pics.

Mmm cant wait to see it all in one piece will look ausome. I bet it will atract some real attention when its done:D

Wow, good to see you're still alive and kickin man :)

Good luck Josh.

For those that don't know this guy, he's a good fella, with a good heart some great modding skills and a guy I consider a good friend.

Keep an eye out on him, he's sneaky when it comes to mods, he'll just pop em out like a trailer trash queen :D

stiltner said:
Wow, good to see you're still alive and kickin man :)

Good luck Josh.

For those that don't know this guy, he's a good fella, with a good heart some great modding skills and a guy I consider a good friend.

Keep an eye out on him, he's sneaky when it comes to mods, he'll just pop em out like a trailer trash queen :D

Ah, a legend of old.

Lookin sw33t and l33t so far QTip, nice to see a fellow Oregonian modder :cool:
Keep up the good work, and if you need help with anything just holler. I only live 3 hours away LOL, but no price is to high for uniqueness and creativity :)

Hmmm.....note to self to invite QTip and his PC to one of our LAN's or the TCLP LAN. Must make sure he brings product samples and pics LOL :D

{SHACK} Paladin said:
Hmmm.....note to self to invite QTip and his PC to one of our LAN's or the TCLP LAN. Must make sure he brings product samples and pics LOL :D
good idea

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'll have an update coming up here pretty soon.

It's actually painful how slow this is moving along. I added the wall for the other wing and started in on the 4x hard drive holder thing (not pictured). I'll have that in an update tomorrow. I'm trying to keep with the theme by incorporating what I've seen from the movie trailer and other stuff found on fan pages.....uhh err....you'll see next update tomorrow.

batman12.jpg

What will you use for internal bracing to prevent flex and twist?..Seems to me you will need some sort of internal X frame to keep it ridged. Ideas?

That thing looks so nice, keep it coming. side note, looking good there crim on AOTS, dam i wish we had that show in Australia

CrimsonSky said:
What will you use for internal bracing to prevent flex and twist?..Seems to me you will need some sort of internal X frame to keep it ridged. Ideas?

Doesn't need anything. Everything will be bolted to the 1/8" base. There wont be any stress on the wall except maybe a fan or two.

WOW, damn nice screw man. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see this thing done.

Qtip42 said:
made it. It's pretty rough but it'll clean up nicely.

Can you post a pic of the back? I'm trying to figure out how you managed to mount the 'bat' onto threaded stock (I'm assuming that's what you used for the threaded portion)....

Back