Project: Beast III

Here is a couple pics of my PC-V2100 gutted out
case002.jpg

case003.jpg

Here are all the items I removed from the case
(not included are the side panels and the front door and bottom mount hinge)
parts001.jpg

My Black Ice Pro chrome (mmmm chrome)
BIPchr001.jpg

Stay tuned!

CrimandEvil said:
I wasn't going to response seeing as how dumb the the first response was but gladly someone else did. God, I can't believe some people can't take a joke muchless someone that doesn't even know what a "race' is. What do they teach in those Canadian schools anyways? Your parents should demand a refund on your education. :rolleyes:

Canadian schools teach us to spell Canada, not Cananda. :cool: Which is what *I* was commenting on. Guess they don't teach spelling in your amerinacan schools.

Logan321 said:
Canadian schools teach us to spell Canada, not Cananda. :cool: Which is what *I* was commenting on. Guess they don't teach spelling in your amerinacan schools.
Can we just drop it, I'm not one to enjoy wasting time with anyone who's trying to make a joke, but be ignorant at the same time.

Just in case anyone is interested; for you owners of the PC-V2X00 series of cases who wanted to remove your power switch, here is what I did:

Pictures of case without power switch
case006.jpg

case007.jpg

Picture of switch
switch001.jpg

Here is the tool I had to make to remove the nut
tool002.jpg

tool003.jpg

Getting access to that nut any other way would have been a PITA!!

Stay tuned!

Hard to believe you can get so much storage into such a small [relatively] case, nice work. :)

how hard was it to gut the whole bottom of the case .. taking out the hd cages and also the divider in front of the psu ?

0mega said:
am i hearing this right? you called the v2100 small? its HUGE lmao
small [relatively] :p

ie. Small relative to the amount of space contained within.

I would say that packing 10TB of space into such a package is quite impressive. I remember reading about some guy overseas who built a server with something around 140TB, but that was using some sort of crazy configuration that involved huge trays with ~24 drives on each... can't remember how many trays he needed though. They didn't have 500GB drives to use at the time, lol.

jetjaguar said:
how hard was it to gut the whole bottom of the case .. taking out the hd cages and also the divider in front of the psu ?

The screws that held the racks and divider were somewhat tight. A couple of them ALMOST stripped on me. I got lucky. It wasn't hard, I just didn't want to scratch the inside.

Steve

so they are all screwed and not rivited ?

also by taking out the center divider .. does the top part get flimsy ?

jetjaguar said:
so they are all screwed and not rivited ?

also by taking out the center divider .. does the top part get flimsy ?

They were all screwed on my case (can't speak for all other Lian-Li's). As far as being flimsy, I don't know. The picture of the case I have posted is still the way it is. I will keep you all posted though.

Steve

I knew from the start, from doing my research on the v2100, that the Black Ice Pro radiator wouldn't probably fit. When I got the case and the radiator my suspicions were confirmed.

Black Ice Pro chrome
BIPchr001.jpg

Here is where the BIP chrome is going (on the inside of the case)
case008.jpg

Here is a shot of the rad sitting inside the case
(the mounting holes don't line up)
case009.jpg

So I had to create a plexiglass shroud that would move the mounting holes up and to the right
(the mounting holes were too close to the edge of the case causing the rad to stick out
so I couldn't put the side panel on)
shrd001.jpg

I used these stainless SHCS to fasten the shroud to the rad
(after I tapped the holes in the radiator, 6-32 thds I think)
scrw001.jpg

Here is the shroud attached to the rad
shrd002.jpg

Next, I used these stainless BHCS to fasten the fan thru the case to the shroud
scrw002.jpg

And viola!
shrd003.jpg

shrd004.jpg

There is about a 1/16" gap between the case and the bottom of the rad
(I hope I left room for the fitting, hose and clamp! Gulp)
shrd005.jpg

Say tuned!

When I received my reserviors I noted the fittings were plastic. Crap! It's bad enough I have to use plastic hose. To make things worse, the screws on the fittings (and corresponding reservior) were not your garden variety. NOOOOOO. They used a bastard size of 1/2-18! 1/2-20 is considered the norm. Also, the holes on the res were not pipe (good thing too cause tightening the fittings to create a seal would have cracked the res), they used a straight thread with rubber washers for a seal.

Here is the res (with paper, yea)
Xres002.jpg

Here are the aformentioned crappy fittings
fitting001.jpg

I figured that McMaster-Carr would have a suitable brass or steel replacement. Boy was I wrong. So, since I am a machinist by trade, I'll just make my own fittings. Here is the 3/4" 6061-T6511 Hex stock
alum004.jpg

I haven't had the time to make the fittings, but here is a crude drawing
(these fittings are a variation of the ones that Danger Den sells)
bpfitting001.jpg

Stay tuned!

altec said:
Were'd you get the hex stock, online or local steel shop?

Ordered it from McMaster Carr. Their bible (er catalog) is indispensable. They also have a website.

From the start I knew I wanted to water cool my hard drives. I searched a long time and it was until Koolance came up with their HD-50-L06 that I quit searching.

My three sons (er coolers)
HDDblk003.jpg

From this view you can see how close the ports are to the cooler
HDDblk004.jpg

Here is the secure connector that came with my WD sata drive
(unfortunately it is only about 15" long)
HDDblk005.jpg

HDDblk006.jpg

I also knew I didn't want to loop the coolers in series, so I came up with this idea.
These are called manifolds (I didn't know that before I went searching for them)
HDDman001.jpg

HDDman002.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the hardware that will be used for the coolers
(all of this was modified and polished, close up pic does no justice)
HDDman003.jpg

Here is a test fit to give you an idea (sealant to be applied in final construction)
HDDman004.jpg

Close up (again no justice, I'll try and get some better pics during construction)
HDDman005.jpg

The inlet and outlet barbs internal diameter is such that the area of internal diameters of the three smaller feeds all add up to equal the area of the inlet diameter feed (also equal to the outlet). This cuts down on any one hard drive cooler getting more flow than the others. I will also attach a DD fillport to the bottom of one of the manifolds for a drain.

The right angle hose barbs will be used to extend and loop the tubing back and over (you'll see when I get it put together) the hard drive so if one fails all I need to do is unplug it and remove the failed HDD. I have seen many builders loop all the coolers in series not thinking about having to remove one IF a HDD does fail. If they are all looped in series, the whole enchalada has to be removed (worse yet, drained) to replace the failed HDD.

Thinking ahead guarantees that none of my hard drives will ever fail! LOL

Stay tuned!

Stevennoland said:
Thinking ahead guarantees that none of my hard drives will ever fail! LOL

heh that stood out for me, over all this fabulous work, crafting, building and pic taking... cuz that kind of thinkin has been workin for me since i was old enough to tink formyself nd have some responsibility... im thinkin 13/14 ish.

i like to think is like you are paying yer dues to fate. dont test fate's patience too much, and you will get thru life a LOT easier hahah.

man awesome work so far .. i wish i knew how to make adapters and all that crap out of acrylic .. not knowing how to do that kind of stuff makes my modding horrible :(

jetjaguar said:
man awesome work so far .. i wish i knew how to make adapters and all that crap out of acrylic .. not knowing how to do that kind of stuff makes my modding horrible :(

Thanks.

I ordered the crazy stupid money Innovatek Konvekt-O-Matic ULTRA Passive Radiators in red last night. If you go to Frozencpu's site, you'll see the availability to be ZERO! NADA! I took the last two! I'll take some pics when they get here (hopefully by Friday).

Here is what they look like
ex-rad-55.jpg

Stay tuned!

jetjaguar said:
how the hell are you gonna mount those things lol .. dont they weigh alot ?

The details from the FedEx site says my package weighs 40 pounds! That's with packing material. I'll give an exact weight when I get them. I'm going to mount one on each side of the case. If I keep adding more s%*t, this thing is gonna need a tow motor.

thats crazy .. 1 on each side .. damn that case is gonna weigh a ton ..

i cant wait for some more updates ..

cant wait to see that manifold put into the setup!! great job! subcribed.

jetjaguar said:
thats crazy .. 1 on each side .. damn that case is gonna weigh a ton ..

i cant wait for some more updates ..

Crazy indeed! Wait till you see what I have planned for the handles.

Steve

Here is a rough mock up of how the tubing will be routed for the HDDs. I barely have enough room to connect the legacy molex for power. I wish Western Digital (or someone) would come out with a secure connector that has the data cable AND the power as well (so I wouldn't have to use the molex).

HDDman006.jpg

HDDman007.jpg

HDDman008.jpg

HDDman009.jpg

HDDman010.jpg

HDDman011.jpg

Stay tuned.

Back