Project: Feeding Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Majin said:
Damn,
When I first started looking as WC gear, AC never crossed my mind.
3/8" tubing seemed too small and worthless.

But the more and more I see this stuff used, the more and more I want to include it in my WC set up!

Maybe just for the Video card and NF4 Chip or something!
I really , really like how nice AC gear looks!

This Mod was the final point I needed to be convinced on using AC in my WC set up!

Suggest you check out this thread for some Aqua Computer action. This is a "new" AC thread, but the older one had over 2,500 posts and close to 100,000 views. Lot's of people here have AC cooled rigs that are ballz to the wallz hot rods. They typically get a degree or two higher temps than the big bore 1/2" group gets, but they want looks and performance. AC is like a marriage of engineering, style, and performance. As in all marriages everything needs to be accomodated, but I like the mix. :D

Well forgot to mention that if you have one of these cases and were thinking about using an Evo 120 griil on the back that there are a few problems. A picture is worth a thousand words, so:

BackFanGrill_7.jpg

As you can see above the grill does not fit exactly. As a matter of fact you will not be able to get the side shut if you left it this way. :( However, one of the things about getting older is that you start to know a lot more people. :D So this is not a problem as I have a couple of friends who are machinists and it only needs about .100" off the top, left, and right sides.

Okay now I have the back rad in and you can see below why that little hole was there a few pics back. This gives me a much better look with a rubber grommet and I won't be having any vibration problems here. The other fitting is a 45* and goes over to the Cuplex XT which will also have a 45* fitting as well.
BackRad_1.jpg

Here is a closeup pic of the fitting going through the middle partition.
BackRad_4.jpg

A side view of the fitting that will attach to the Aquastream and Aquatube below.
BackRad_3.jpg

Looking at the fitting from the bottom up.

BackRad_2.jpg

Thanks for answering my question! The project looks even better than before.

I do have another quick question, though, if you don't mind. Are you planning on putting any unobstructed fans in the case, aside from the 80mm ones above the PSU (that is, if you are putting any in that spot at all)? Just wondering as I'm thinking about water cooling a V2000 as well (although I'm not quite as ambitious ;)), and I wasn't sure if blocking the main intake & exaust spots with radiators would heat up the ambient temperature of the case too much.

Top Nurse said:
Which pump? ;)

That's right. You have a Laing DDC and a Aquastream correct? Where are you going to put the second Aquastream?

What do you think about the Laing?

Okay a little more before I go find a teddy bear and bag some zzzz's

Okay the top mounted BI Pro is in and this pic shows just how tight things are in this case. The 90* elbow goes to the pump output and the 45* elbow goes to GPU 1.

TopRad_3.jpg

This pic shows the front of the BI Pro in the top and you can also see the GPU Aquastream/Aquatube/Fillport sub-assembly. The unconnected fitting is the pump output connector that goes to the radiator.

GPULoop_1.jpg

What you are seeing here is a look straight up between the MB mounting tray and the BI Pro. Just a little better perspective about how much room there is to hook-up any of the MB/Case connectors. There really is enough room...really! :worried: See that black thingy at the top of the case? More about that later :p

TopRad_1.jpg

Okay here is a pic of the room available between the top PCI slot and GPU 2. One of my initial design goals was to utilize the case geometry wherever possible to make lines sleek and keep the business away from the inherrent beauty of the case. So with the Audigy2 ZS sound board in the top PCI slot all wires coming off the MB are almost completely hidden as they all go to the front of the case along the top between the radiator and the case side. The GPU cooling loop return line is also hidden up there as well. Actually the only wires you should see up top are the HD cables and then you will only see about 2 1/2". :cool:

TopRad_2.jpg

Here you see some of the tubing hooking up to the GPU's from the top BI Pro. Slight problem here as the AC tubing will not make a sharp bend without kinking between GPU 1 and GPU 2. :( So when the Mazzer PUR black tubing gets here there will be a total revamp of my tubing.

TopRad_4.jpg

Okay last, but not least here is another pic of my Aquatube in the center partition. 3 points if you know what that thingy is to the left of it? :D

PowerBulkhead_1.jpg

ShoNuff said:
That's right. You have a Laing DDC and a Aquastream correct? Where are you going to put the second Aquastream?

What do you think about the Laing?

I have two Aquastreams now. One is mounted in the AquaBay AT and the other one is going in on the HD loop with most likely an AC AquaInlet plexi reservoir. A Laing DDC with a Watercool top are hopefully on the way. So after they get here I will decide whether to do the DDC or get another Aquastream for the Cuplex XT and Twinplex.

Kingey said:
I do have another quick question, though, if you don't mind. Are you planning on putting any unobstructed fans in the case, aside from the 80mm ones above the PSU (that is, if you are putting any in that spot at all)? Just wondering as I'm thinking about water cooling a V2000 as well (although I'm not quite as ambitious ;)), and I wasn't sure if blocking the main intake & exaust spots with radiators would heat up the ambient temperature of the case too much.

You don't block the inlet and outlet of air exchange in the Lian-Li V series cases because there are so much open grills in the front, back, top, and bottom that it is a dead issue IMHO. But all the radiators have fans behind them so air is being sucked out of the top and back of the case. The front bottom mounted rad is blowing air into the case.

Forgot to mention that the Cuplex XT seen in some of the earlier pics has now gone bye-bye to Firehed. Decided I didn't need two XT's when one Silver Cuplex XT seemed good enough :p Which reminds me that I have been considering seeing about getting three Silver TwinPlex's. Do you think it would look nicer than the copper ones I got now?

Thought I would put up another pic of the Asus 6600 GT's that shows a little more clarity. When my new fittings get here the top GPU block will get one of the 45 degree fittings so it will be less stress on the cooler from making the bend up to the top of the case.

AC_GPU_1.jpg

Loud_TIGER said:
where did you get those beautiful copper ram sinks?

They came with the board, but they are fake copper ram sinks lol. They are copper color anodized aluminum. :eek: The Asus marketing department strikes again. Later on they get ditched for some real copper ramsinks. :D

You are coming along well. Are you going to exhaust air out of the top rad or suck it in? I was thinking about about a blow hole to help keep the temps down. I also like the 45 degree fittings.

More...More...More ! ! ! :D

Isn't this thing running yet? It has been month.......

HURRY UP AND POST COMPLETED PICTURES>

ShoNuff said:
You are coming along well. Are you going to exhaust air out of the top rad or suck it in? I was thinking about about a blow hole to help keep the temps down. I also like the 45 degree fittings.

More...More...More ! ! !

Well it has been so hot out I have been taking a siesta. Actually I am waiting for the Pomona show to open up again next week. It's the only place I know to get some "interesting" parts I need. ;) All the rads are setup to exhaust air as I figure there will be plenty of grill space to suck cool air in all over the case.

The 45* fittings are becoming somewhat problematic. :( It appears that the metal ones AC sells are made by Metal Work Pneumatic and their catalog doesn't show any 45* fittings. I would like all my fittings to look the same and I really like the look of the AC supplied 90* elbows. Going to send AC an e-mail tonight to see if they can do anything. :) If AC can't help me then it looks like I will be going with nothing but Legris glass-filled push-fits.

Started today on doing some wire routing for the SATA HD cables. Seemed to be kind of stuck on how to run the IDE cables for the optical drives though. I'm not thrilled about just running straight across as it looks like shit and nothing else goes across that particular piece of real estate. :( .

Top Nurse said:
Thanks for the nice words :) Even if it is a Lian-Li AC build ;)
Damn it, as soon as I get enough cash I'm going to have to get some AC stuff with a case other then LL just so theres some variety. Damn you AC people for making me spend my money. :D

CrimandEvil said:
Damn it, as soon as I get enough cash I'm going to have to get some AC stuff with a case other then LL just so theres some variety. Damn you AC people for making me spend my money. :D

It's good for your soul and it will improve your outlook on life. :p

Awesome build and I am looking forward to every update.

I am pro AC and I must admit, I winced when I saw another Lian Li V series case and AC. It has been done ad-nauseum. Seems this is headed where NO MAN (or Woman) HAS GONE BEFORE! Nice placement of the aquatubes BTW.

Please keep updating!

Top Nurse said:
Started today on doing some wire routing for the SATA HD cables. Seemed to be kind of stuck on how to run the IDE cables for the optical drives though. I'm not thrilled about just running straight across as it looks like shit and nothing else goes across that particular piece of real estate. :( .

Assuming you have enough headers, you could always adapt your optical drives out to sata as well.

R1ckCa1n said:
Isn't this thing running yet? It has been months.......

HURRY UP AND POST COMPLETED PICTURES>

Well it took a while to do the design work, took a bit longer to get the parts, and now it is taking longer because my design is changing from 2 loops to 3 loops. And of course as you well know....measure a hundred times and cut once. :D

uzor said:
Assuming you have enough headers, you could always adapt your optical drives out to sata as well.

Now that is a thought :) I got 8 SATA headers and only planned on using 5 for the HD's so that leaves 2 for the optical's and one for a hot spare. Anyone know of any good DVD-RW's that have native SATA on them?

Vlad335 said:
Awesome build and I am looking forward to every update.

I am pro AC and I must admit, I winced when I saw another Lian Li V series case and AC. It has been done ad-nauseum. Seems this is headed where NO MAN (or Woman) HAS GONE BEFORE! Nice placement of the aquatubes BTW.

Please keep updating!

Hey what happened to the post about the dual 6600GT's?

Well as far as the Lian-Li build goes it has been done a lot....but not like this baby! :p This design incorporates what I feel goes to the heart of an Aqua Computer and Lian-Li build which is engineering excellence, performance, and good looks.

About the 6600GT's....well it was back in January and I didn't want to spend more than about $1500 so I got the A8N-SLI Deluxe, Corsair TwinX1024 3200XL Pro, a Winchester 3500 OEM, and while I was shopping for the 6800's I came across a stack of these Asus 6600GT's for about $220 a pop. I hate paying more than about $200 for a video card and they were scalping the 6800's then (still are I think) so I figured two 6600GT's would be fine for me. You see I made the jump to Socket 939 and also decided to do a SLI board just for the fun of it seeing as I used to have some Voodoo cards in SLI many moons ago. Ticked me off when you could only get one stinking AGP bus and that era of fast gaming came to a screeching halt. Though that was when DOS based DOOM was the hot ticket. :D So perhaps I might see my way to a pair of 6800 Ultras if the price comes down to something approaching what appears to be reasonable.

Looks like I gotta upgrade my PhotoBucket account asap! Just got a notice that my account just exceeded a gigabyte of bandwidth. lol

I think you got the wrong flavor, there Crim. That's a Pata drive. Here, is its sata brother.

uzor said:
I think you got the wrong flavor, there Crim. That's a Pata drive. Here, is its sata brother.

Does it come in Black?
If so... I'd like 2 please!

I don't want to have any IDE cables being used in my case.

this is the closest you'll get from plextor (at newegg)

i think some other people make sata dvd burners as well, but i dunno who.

I can see I will have to wait a while. When other companies start doing SATA opticals there will be more supply and diversity. Besides it will be a while before I have to hook up the opticals. ;)

Well I thought while I was waiting for some more $$ to get more parts I would add my birthday mess I made over the weekend. Here is a shot of my computer desk. That's my PC-75 Exos cooled current rig at the end of the table.

July3105mess_1.jpg

This is where I do my best thinking. ;) When I get stuck in a thought I flip on some old Sci-Fi movies for some inspiration. My favorite is Forbidden Planet. Jeez...now I gotta clean up this mess. :(
July3105mess_2.jpg

More of the same...
July3105mess_3.jpg

If you're worried about the card bending because of the weight of the waterblocks, consider investing in a CardKeeper. It works wonders.

I want to know where you found AC compatible fill ports from... I didn't notice any reducers (might be the 6-pack of Guinness I just finished) but I've never seen fillports with hose sized small enough for the Germans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back