Project: Galaxy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

It seems as if one of the drive cages is malfunctioning. The bloody temperature alarm keeps on being triggered by a fualty fan (from what it seems like). The fan would create a hickup (the fan status led would go off for a spit second then come back online), and when this happens, the temperature alarm is triggered and doesn't stop screaming till its reset. Even with resetting, it continues this cycle every 30 - 45 seconds or so... quite annoying.

Good thing there is a thing called RMA's and good thing this cage is so easy to take out!

Now what I'm doing is hunting for the dual psu bracket and those controllers... then the pics will come of the next phases.

ockie, this computer is so incredibly [H]ot!

btw, when will the free give-away be again? :p

[H]ardcore! Those HDD hot-swapables look great.

Lol, the weight of the SATA cables alone must be more than my SFF!

Update:

-RMA was approved for the one hard drive cage, so I'll be sending it on it's merry little way.

-Not having enough power to power on the rest of the drives is driving me up the wall, so I'm going to ghetto rig it for the time being and perhaps see if I can buy a bracket from overseas or fabricate my own. I want to order this from Microplex.no, but I'm not sure of the stores willingness to ship to the USA or of their reputation.

Anyone ordered anything ever from Microplex.no?

-I also want to push phase 3 much quicker, however, I encountered a problem... the problem is simple but requires more cash to make it work. I didn't notice or was under the impression that the card was a 4x pcie card (16 port sataII controller), however, it's indeed a 8x card... meaning that if I want to run two of these cards, I will need to shed a video card which is sitting in the 16x slot... meaning I'd need to buy a 1x video card so that the two controllers can have their 8x bandwidth.

EDIT: MAN... I see that Microplex only sells to norweigan customers only. Anyone here from Norway? LOL

Ockie said:
-I also want to push phase 3 much quicker, however, I encountered a problem... the problem is simple but requires more cash to make it work. I didn't notice or was under the impression that the card was a 4x pcie card (16 port sataII controller), however, it's indeed a 8x card... meaning that if I want to run two of these cards, I will need to shed a video card which is sitting in the 16x slot... meaning I'd need to buy a 1x video card so that the two controllers can have their 8x bandwidth.
What cards were you considering? The 3ware 9590 is x4 and 16 channel, but it's probably a good deal more expensive. Possibly not more than an x1 video card + controller, tho.

i feel your pain, i had some lately (setting up my raid 5 array). I was looking on newegg and there is a ati card that is x1 for $100, i know it is not going to be great on games, but this is server, so aside from the cost, it would work... Which x8 16 port raid cards are you going with, also, if you are going to use raid, why such a spendy card, i know it cuts down a little on overhead, but still.........

Nice...

Last I heard PCI-X 16 port sata controllers were $1200.. Maybe thats the 24 port ones though.. I forget. Or 32 maybe? :D

Ockie said:
Since I'm not intending to run raid I do not wish to spend much on the controller... therefore I'm pretty much stuck on the HighPoint controller lineup and 8x.

Here is the card I want:
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2340.htm

It's approximatley around $450ish, which isn't bad for a 16 port controller.

Also, the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161017

Quite a ton cheaper.
I've got the 8 port 2320 and it's a very nice controller IMO, especially for the price.

Isn't that video card a little overkill for a file server?
Why not get a X300 and you could go passive.

EnderW said:
I've got the 8 port 2320 and it's a very nice controller IMO, especially for the price.

Isn't that video card a little overkill for a file server?
Why not get a X300 and you could go passive.

Cant run it in the x1 slot as the slot is not open ended.

MonsterEnergy said:
This is where the dremel comes into play to make the card 1x :D

The thought has crossed my mind... yes. LOL.

Astrogiblet said:
Nice...

Last I heard PCI-X 16 port sata controllers were $1200.. Maybe thats the 24 port ones though.. I forget. Or 32 maybe? :D
Well, considering the lack of PCI-X slots on that board, we can rest assured that Ockie is going for PCIe cards instead, which appear to be available cheaper, although the ones that Ockie has selected "only" have 16 ports each.

uzor said:
It'd be safer to make the slot open ended.
Maybe that was the idea?

drizzt81 said:
Well, considering the lack of PCI-X slots on that board, we can rest assured that Ockie is going for PCIe cards instead, which appear to be available cheaper, although the ones that Ockie has selected "only" have 16 ports each.

Maybe that was the idea?

Yep, thats the idea :) I'm wondering if you can use a pcie 1x slot if you cut the back open?

Moreso, I'd like to know if those raid controllers would work on a 4x slot and if it would take a performance hit... I can not imagine them using up the entire 8x bandwidth. I would be much more inclined to cut my 4x slot and stick one 8x in there and stick the other 8x in the 16x slot than to change video cards.... that way it's no cost to do so.

I'm too lazy to read back: are you getting a new mobo/CPU? if so you could get a mobo with three x16s

Then again, that x1 videocard is the kind of card that you keep in a card-box and comes in handy once in a while. So it would not be a waste of money (like any good-old cheap PCI videocard).

Ozone77 said:
I'm too lazy to read back: are you getting a new mobo/CPU? if so you could get a mobo with three x16s

Then again, that x1 videocard is the kind of card that you keep in a card-box and comes in handy once in a while. So it would not be a waste of money (like any good-old cheap PCI videocard).

Nope, I'm going to make this work :) I love this board.

yeah the second thing is true, but it's expensive atm.

Ockie said:
Moreso, I'd like to know if those raid controllers would work on a 4x slot and if it would take a performance hit... I can not imagine them using up the entire 8x bandwidth. I would be much more inclined to cut my 4x slot and stick one 8x in there and stick the other 8x in the 16x slot than to change video cards.... that way it's no cost to do so.

Cool question! I hope someone answers. Imainge cutting your 4x slot to put another videocard (performance hit, of course) for an extra monitor, or use it as a GPGPU, or for your HDD controller. I believe it would! Let's see if anyone can answer :)

EDIT: Ok, I just asked in the Video Card forum. Someone says it will work, some other person says maybe. In my opinion it is clear: get an X-acto knife and cut the end of the x4 slot, then try one card after the other and let us know :D

EDIT 2: Apparently, the plastic is hard, the easiest way to "notch" the slot will be to melt it with a soldering iron and then touch-up the hole with the X-acto knife.

Well one thing is that these controllers can be picky, so it would be a 50/50 tossup.

I could always toss the video card in that slot, it should work fine there too.

Or I can buy a PCIE x1 video card and sell two PCIE 16x cards that I have laying around... this would probably be the easiest and most stable way.

Every pci express device is required to support x1 mode. As long as the card will physically fit, you can cut the end out of the slot and it should work.

But that'll probably void your warranty, if those things matter to you.

unhappy_mage said:
Every pci express device is required to support x1 mode. As long as the card will physically fit, you can cut the end out of the slot and it should work.

But that'll probably void your warranty, if those things matter to you.

Warranties are overrated :D

Hmm Okay, I will try this as it will save some monies, especially on the video card.

Damn camera of mine, damn cd is full... meaning I have to get another cd before I can commence with the pics! :mad: It's almost time for me to get a better camera.

"scope creep":
When you are trying to build a $5000 storage rig and end up with a $1200 DSLR

:D

Is there any reason for the video card to do anything other than post/display a 2d desktop? If not, why not just grab a PCI video card? They are like $15 shipped on ebay. That's what I did for my fileserver and will be doing for my second fileserver.

Dew said:
Is there any reason for the video card to do anything other than post/display a 2d desktop? If not, why not just grab a PCI video card? They are like $15 shipped on ebay. That's what I did for my fileserver and will be doing for my second fileserver.

Oh I can't do that, I need a 6200 or higher as I use my main monitor as the display occasionally and it's a 3007wfp and it wont work on lower cards :(

There are regular pci cards that should work with that monitor. They arent $15, but if you look hard enough you can find a 6200 or x1300 pci on ebay for about $60.

Ockie said:
Oh I can't do that, I need a 6200 or higher as I use my main monitor as the display occasionally and it's a 3007wfp and it wont work on lower cards :(

Umm, then wouldn't ANY PCI video card with DVI work? 3007 does half-res just fine, IIRC. Unless you absolutely have to have full res.

filthysanchez said:
what about this?
you don't have aspare PCI-E x1 slot?
Homework, Boy...do your homework! That very card was mentioned here as his original plan since his x16's won't work with the SATA controller he was looking at. Someone offered him an x300 for passive cooling (quiet FTW), but it's longer than x1 - thus the talk of modding the slot to accept a longer card, or rearranging/swapping out other parts to make it all work.

Rufus P Tumbeltin IV said:
There are regular pci cards that should work with that monitor. They arent $15, but if you look hard enough you can find a 6200 or x1300 pci on ebay for about $60.

or I can get a brand new x1 for 15 more ;)

Dew said:
Umm, then wouldn't ANY PCI video card with DVI work? 3007 does half-res just fine, IIRC. Unless you absolutely have to have full res.

Nope, it wont even work on a 6150.

Ockie said:
EDIT: MAN... I see that Microplex only sells to norweigan customers only. Anyone here from Norway? LOL

Did my suggestion in GM help? If not PM me and I may be able to help you out with a little relaying or can put you in touch with a friend in Norway.

doh said:
Did my suggestion in GM help? If not PM me and I may be able to help you out with a little relaying or can put you in touch with a friend in Norway.

Didn't get a response or anything. Some other member said he'd get in contact with some locals there that he knows, didn't hear anything back from him either :(

Ockie said:
Didn't get a response or anything. Some other member said he'd get in contact with some locals there that he knows, didn't hear anything back from him either :(

Ok. I have friends all over Norway and may be able to sway one of them into helping you. Let me know and I can start asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back