Project: "Huge Big Tower Thing"

Wow 30 mins of reading and I am up todate on this project.
Yesterday
I went down town T.O to the Activer Surpluse store you mentioned.
OMG, I wanted to buy about 40 things.

Your case is coming along nicely now! Keep up the great work!

I don’t feel like typing lots tonight, so I’ll just show pictures of my weekend work.
Cutting the mobo tray out of the cases I had bought for my dead Wolfenstein case:

12jg.jpg

26mp.jpg

30yk.jpg

49wp.jpg

Trimming the edge of the large drive mounts:

51op.jpg

64wt.jpg

Test mounting the drives for stealthing:

74sq.jpg

85yb.jpg

93bz.jpg

Drilled holes for mounting front window:

101hd.jpg

113fo.jpg

I’ve also cut the acrylic for the inside right wall, mounted, and cemented. Also mounted and cemented the mobo tray to the inside right wall as well, but didn’t take pics as it’s under a crapload of books at the moment.

I’m back to work tomorrow, so whatever progress I make on the case during the week will be posted Friday night.

hahaha i wonder if u could hide in that case? but yah dood where did u get that case i want 1!!!!! .... dunno where the hell id put it but... just so say to people "hey my case is bigger badder and owns yours" muwahahaha

Wow! :p Keep it up! Where is that thing going? next to the fire place or Kitchen!! :p
Looking GREAT!

Wow, I never knew you also lived in Toronto, we should chill together to give each other ideas on case mods etc.

I was thinking previously of using a light diffuser like that but I went for the sand blast style one instead to give it a much nicer glow effect. Your mod is looking really snazzy though so keep up the good work =D

i dont think i could have done all that work in my appnt lol, would have the cops called on me because of all the old people.

K guys, I havent updated in over 4 months...project went on hold for financial reasons.

No pics tonight, but letting you all know that the beast is out of the corner and ready to be worked on this week. Just some simple measuring tonight for the dual 120mm fans at the top.

Also I hit a snag in terms of sealing it up. Since I have so much airflow coming in through the top, inside the case is going to have positive air pressure, so I wont be sealing the walls with plexi. It's kind of a hassle right now to do it, but I believe I shouldnt have any problems with it being "open". I still put in the front window so hands can't reach inside.

I'll try to get an update on the weekend with lots of pics, including dark shots if i can figure out how to change the shutter speed on my crappy digital Canon PowerShot A20. I looked it up but couldnt find any answers.

i know you've already got a way of cooling this monster, but i thought it'd be neat if you got two of those industrial sized metal fans they use in workshops and attached one to the top and one on the bottom. as long as this thing is gi-normous, might as well make the fans gi-normous as well. as big as this thing is, unless you make a large scale cooling device, those little 120mm fans wont make much of a differnce i dont think.

Even after playing Doom 3 for hours on end, my Athlon has never even reached 45 degrees Celsius. I dont overclock. Cooling isnt really an issue.

120v AC fans, especially metal-bladed ones, apparently create EMI fields that are not good for your computer...so I've heard.

Devil,
I am so happy to see that you can work on this again.
I hope that things with your wife's job are back on track.

So why make us wait, where are the updates! :D

by the time i get home from work, have dinner and stuff, i have about 2 hours of modding time. I dont want to post tiny little updates each night, I'd rather log a week's worth and then post.

Can't wait til the weekend, so this is the progress so far...

Monday night:

Cut the holes for the dual 120mm fans.

120scut3lg.jpg

Mounted a piece of scrap aluminum L-channel to the door.

alumlchannel4hi.jpg

That was it. Had to watch RAW at 9pm.

Tuesday night:

Drilled a small hole in the corner to run the wires from the 4 fans and strobe light down to the Control Panel.

Took the roof outside and re-painted the half with the holes cut, and hung it in the bathroom to dry, with the aid of my hockeytable fan.

hanging1gu.jpg

Marked the spot to cut/chisel out a groove on the top piece so it would fit flush with the L-channel piece.

chiselsection1ut.jpg

Taped off the area to Dremel for the mobo I/O panel.

mobo1mounting4jq.jpg

mobo1mounting29mo.jpg

Wednesday night:

Had to wait for the delivery of a new couch, so I couldn’t spread out all my modding crap. By the time it arrived I didn’t feel like anything serious, so I just mounted my fan grills and fans onto the roof. You can see where I repainted, I still have to resand, paint, resand, paint, etc.

roofsetup16bg.jpg

roofbackside4pe.jpg

One of my 80mm quad LED fans developed a crack, for no reason. It’s been sitting in a box, so it’s not like it got stepped on or fell from anywhere. Didn’t feel like dropping any more money than I have to for this case, so I stole some Krazy Glue from work and patched it. Seems to work fine now.

All lit up. Took me a while to figure out how to get the camera to allow longer exposure time, but it worked.

computerrooflitup7ak.jpg

sweeettt FINALLY its back up.. cant wait to see it to the end..

gotta hand it to ya, alot of guys (myself included :D ) start a project and just..let it wither away..

::Thumbs up::

Very nice!
So it looks like the 2 X 80mm are intakes and the 2 X 120mm are ehaust?
Or are they all Exhaust?

80's are exhaust, since they are located at the back to suck up the heat from the mobos, and the 120's are intake. I want slightly positive air pressure inside since I'm not sealing up the 3 inner walls with plexi.

ikillu4qp.jpg

Still have LOTS to do, and more pix to take, but i just wanted to get the guts installed.

LEFT TO DO:

-Better wire management
-Stealth the DVD drives
-re-wire the DVD drives
-find the AC adapter for my Laser LED Strobe Light
-mount the hard drives
-install front plexi
-add USB/mic/headphone ports to Control Panel
-take more pics. heh.

-Install the GF's crappy Celeron PC and components.

More pics as promised. I'll take some lighted shots of the interior etc. another day, as well as find that damn AC plug for the laser strobe.

habtt0046ju.jpg

habtt0052ek.jpg

habtt0123ve.jpg

habtt0086bl.jpg

lol. no. I have a cheap Canon PowerShot digicam and it hates accepting low-light conditions on auto. So i have to set it to manual, and it's a bitch to keep still. ;)

Back