Project: Ignis -=- Watercooled MicroATX

Originally posted by hardwired
this is coming out really great.

i'm very impressed.

what is the final colour going to be? if you did it in gloss black with like really subtle red and yellow highlights on the flame tips (like, little wavy streaks) it would look amazing. if you need me to explain i'll make you a picture.

i think it will probably gloss black, with white/yellow/red flames

most likely done by someone w/ and airbrush heh

paint schemes i've thought of so far:
Dark metallic Blue with Black inside and Ghost flames
Dark metallic Blue with White inside and Ghost flames
Black with "Normal" Flames with Black inside
Black with "Normal" Flames with Dark Red metallic

and i believe i will go with the bottom one as it is probably more of an eye catcher :D which is what i would it to be

Wow. That's a really cool looking mod. And it looks like you will be able to just fit everything in there... How is the fan going to be mounted on the rad? I would figure you'd use a shroud or some sort to move it away from the ide slots... that thing is going to be so compact.. and it's probably gonna have great airflow... That fan from the rad is gonna blow right on the vidcard... That's so awesome dude. NICE WORK!!!

the fan (if there is one) will most likely be mount on the outside of the frame and behind the front bezel as to allow for maximum room and airflow the fan on the side panel will also be blowing DIRECTLY on the vid card... Half on top and Half on bottom :D

thanks for all the responses :D makes me feel good

Definetly slap a fan on the rad, It would be awesome it it fit between the bezel and the frame.. good work man.

i just wanna say, watercooling is a mod of its own :). look at how we're all "making it fit" haha. gj man, looking good so far.

flip

yuo si teh bondo mastar!

seriously, youve done excellent work with that stuff! too bad I have a lian li or id pick up a bunch myself and work out something ;)

continue the excellent work!

i did a very little work on it, and ill post an update when i go back to my house wensday most likely

not to jack the thread but...
i got a question about bondo, what is the name/kind of bondo that works best for stuff like this?

me and my bro (jeeves) have been using the standard 2 part bondo, though there is fiberglass reinforced bondo for large wholes and what not... i think he should have use some of that instead of the standard stuff...

Looking good. How close is the rad to those four intake holes at the front? It looks like it is pressed right up to them. That'll affect performance a bit.

A terrible case to start off with, but you made it look good! Nothing spectacular, but the improvement is HUuuuUGE.

Also, for filling in those holes in the wall the best thing is epoxy. Just aplly it about three times, and you're good to go! Oh, and masking tape the other side. But you already used bondo, so it should be fine if you're careful. And, yeah JEEVES was right; never cut on the line.

alrighty, i just ordered a bunch of stuff off the intarwab and it should probably be here around friday (hopefully) says 5-14 days shipping, but im hoping for 5 heh

stuff i ordered was about 30 LED's (red, orange, and yellow) some switches, and the stuff to make a IR Remote, and a dual channel VU meter :D

so when i get that stuff... update time :D

Originally posted by JEEVES/whohasmyname?
Here you go bro Sched. Delivery: Apr 23, 2004 you got your wish for a fri delivery.

lol oh that was my mistake, that is for my stuff (and his lcd). he is talking about the other place we ordered from. i ordered stuff from like 4 diffrent sites last night, forgot what was from what site:rolleyes:

JEEVES

Update time... a tiny update, but an update...

i worked on the front again and got the drive bezel cover mounted up all nice and stuff...

heres some pics

after the initial layer of bondo and what not, and some sanding on the top, with the first heavy coat of bondo on the bottom...
front-bondo.JPG

after the sanding the final coat of bondo...
front-done.JPG

and then i sanded down all the rough spots on the front, and re-primed it all...
done-primered.JPG

thats it, i might update friday or saturday... hopefully

thats it for now

Lookin good man. Only one thing, when I look at the front of your case, I keep seeing an oil guage, temp guage and altimeter guage in the top holes :D

yeah, i would put some analog gauges up there,

but i really need the extra cooling, as i plan on putting 2 hard drives up there, so the cooling needs to pretty good...

and with only 2 or 3 other fans in the case, the hard drives would be baking up there with out fans on them...

friday im getting my lcd and hopefully will be mounting that friday or saturday...

keep em coming..

thanks

-Brian

Dude! This is a shitload of work, I say kudoes to you man for a very nice looking mod so far. One thing, it looks as though you might be sanding down your bondo too much. Just from looking at the pictures, you shouldnt be able to see, after your done with bondo, the edges of the underlying surfaces should you? Atleast, I would think that that might show through the paint or be uneven. Like say for instance, where your CD drive bezzle ends and your case begins,if you run your finger across that is it "baby's butt" smooth or can you feel a ridge there? Same for the tube holes on the lower part of the front bezzle. From the pictures there looked to even be a gap betwen the PVC pipe and the bondo on the front. It might just be the pics tho. Just wondering.

Excellent job so far tho, lookin really good. Cant wait to see it with a super cool paintjob on it.

Originally posted by Shinare
Dude! This is a shitload of work, I say kudoes to you man for a very nice looking mod so far. One thing, it looks as though you might be sanding down your bondo too much. Just from looking at the pictures, you shouldnt be able to see, after your done with bondo, the edges of the underlying surfaces should you? Atleast, I would think that that might show through the paint or be uneven. Like say for instance, where your CD drive bezzle ends and your case begins,if you run your finger across that is it "baby's butt" smooth or can you feel a ridge there? Same for the tube holes on the lower part of the front bezzle. From the pictures there looked to even be a gap betwen the PVC pipe and the bondo on the front. It might just be the pics tho. Just wondering.

Excellent job so far tho, lookin really good. Cant wait to see it with a super cool paintjob on it.

The primer sticks to bondo difrent then it sticks to metal/plastic. So you can see where the bondo is when primed. But that is the point of primer, give it the same material to paint on. So when he adds the paint you will not be able to see it. and to answer your question, yes it is "baby butt" smooth.

JEEVES

Originally posted by JEEVES/whohasmyname?
The primer sticks to bondo difrent then it sticks to metal/plastic. So you can see where the bondo is when primed. But that is the point of primer, give it the same material to paint on. So when he adds the paint you will not be able to see it. and to answer your question, yes it is "baby butt" smooth.

JEEVES

stop whoring up my thread jeeves :rolleyes: :D

uh yeah what he said... sheesh

Here is an update i posted on bit-tech when hard was down....

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, been kinda busy with moving to my new apt and finishing up school...

so heres what i have been working on for the past 3 weeks... haha, no just about a day or so.

with three fans in the front blowing onto my two hard drives, i noticed that the air would have no place to go besides down into the case... well i needed to change that, so i added a vent...

i started out with the power supply that destroyed my comp in my sig and cut out its vent.
vent1.JPG

then i cut out a hole in the top of the case, and epoxied/jb welded the new vent in place
vent2.JPG

vent3.JPG

after that a couple of coats of bondo, and some sanding
vent4.JPG

and then after i got it smooth for the most part, i primed it and here it is drying
vent5.JPG

and i also got my parts in the mail to make the VU meter, futurlec.com,
and got it up and running, but for now just a teaser pic
testing.JPG

:D :D :D

again sorry for the lack of updates recently, they should be coming more steadily now.

Alrighty... decent sized update here...

first off was the power button, i didnt want to use the "stock" one that came with the case as it was huge and ugly. So what i did was fill the stock hole with bondo, make a cone out of paper, and shove the cone into the bondo when it was still wet... then glazed it with glazing putty, drilled a hole for the button and slapped it in there...

button1.JPG

button2.JPG

you can also see that i went back and added some putty where there were some minor imperfections.

while doin that, i decided to screw it all, and redo the holes in the front for the third time... as they were weak and kept craking the bondo/paint... this time they arent going to move at all...
following the same steps as before, epoxy, bondo, glazing putty, i redid them.
bottom1.JPG

bottom2.JPG

bottom3.JPG

after that i got both the button and the bottom nice and sanded
sanded.JPG

and now it was time for another primering.
finished.JPG

button3.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a few days later (im slackin on the updates i know) i got some red metallic paint and started the chasis...

chasis1.JPG

chasis2.JPG

and a few extras
rad1.JPG

that looks really good so far. that makes me want to do some serious modding to my little brothers' computer. just need their permission (and their money to buy supplies;) for it... hehe)

well, the painting should be done this weekend... or atleast the black and part of the flames... and im gunna have to re-paint the inside do to some scratches :(

thanks for the good comments

Update

began painting it and well yeah...
1.JPG

i dont like to wetsand with anything less than 2000 grit... thats right 2000 this way i have maximum control of how deep i go... yes it may take 2 more minutes to get to where i want to be, but there is hardly any risk of running into bare metal...
2.JPG

and that is the result of my efforts... looks pretty good eh?
3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

those are some misc. shots of it after some polishing (later to find out that polishing before another coat of paint = bad)

i was pretty pleased with the finish as i did not want to goto a mirror finish due to the fact that my computer faces a window that is behind me... thus a mirror finish would kill me durring the day. Since i was happy with the finish i began on the flames. using the same technique i used on Project Texas Tech (cut out the mask on a sheet of glass and then apply it to the case) i applied the flame mask.

and painted it.
7.JPG

8.JPG

after i let them dry i took off the masking tape.
9.JPG

10.JPG

from afar they looked beeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutiful (yes i know the spelling is completely off)

but after closer inspection i wsa rather upset...
they didnt look that good... due to the fact that i polished the panels before applying the flames the paint did not stick all too well. as seen below
11.JPG

so now i had to strip it down, apply more coats of paint and start over...
hopefully should have the finished result in the next week or so... and till then i bid you good day

3N1GM4 said:
Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello is anybody out there
Maybe Maybe Maybe Maybe Maybe Maybe Maybe

that finish looks pretty sweet, but i don't really understand what is going on with the flames there.

Back