Project L.O.S.I.A.S. Modified Sugo (LCD,TEC, and SLI)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've got some paint for plastics that may work well on the cables. I'll give that a try. I think I'm still going to find some sort of slim shroud as well. I love the way eVGA cards look, so I want to try and bring a little bit of what I'm hiding, back in to the case...

It's all in the details. I've got to take my rig apart again anyway to attach the front panel audio cables to the X-Fi (which kicks the onboard's ass!). When I do that, I'm going to put carbon fiber film on the hard drive rails, and anything else that looks like it needs it. I've also got to get my lighting in the case, and my new aluminum spacer made for the face plate. I probably won't have another big update update until the spacer is done. I'll try not to keep you guys in suspense for too long... :D

All of you guys have been pretty patient over the course of this project. I know I've teased you a lot with all the 'not quite finished' pics as well. Well, I'm still not finished, but this baby is damn close. Just a few small details, and the side panels are pretty much all I need.

So, that being said, I finally got the face plate mounted. I did a little creative cutting, and was able to mount it without using a spacer. I didn't take any pics of that, because frankly it was pretty uneventful. 4 screws, and the thing was bolted in place.

picture221cd9.jpg

picture222zv4.jpg

picture223oo3.jpg

picture224fy9.jpg

picture225kq5.jpg

picture227ch5.jpg

picture228hq0.jpg

picture229ts7.jpg

picture230iz3.jpg

picture231yc2.jpg

Simply Awesome craigbru! I can't wait to see the side panels. We know perfection takes time - so it's well worth the wait (in my opinion).

I don't know if there was a typo - but one of the pictures wasn't showing up:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7110/picture225kq5.jpg
- update: nevermind it must have been me.

BTW - I tried to get a case handle like yours from SilverStone being that it's made by them OEM. They wouldn't sell me one. :( Can you give me any information how you hooked that one up?

Thanks man! I can't believe this thing is almost done! I haven't had much time to work on the side panels lately. I was pushing just to get this thing ready for a LAN this weekend. I've got a little software testing and tweaking to do tonight, but otherwise I think this thing's ready!

If you want a handle, you need to get in touch with Falcon Northwest. It's actually a Fragbox 2 handle that I purchased from them. They may be able to hook you up. The one I received, was one that they had laying around with supposed light scratches. Honestly, when I got it though, I couldn't see a single thing wrong with it. You'll have to drill your own mounting holes in the cover of course, but it's otherwise a simple thing to add.

Awesome job...and good music too. My friend's band opened for 10 Years last year when they were touring with Dry Kill Logic. Good show.

Whew! What a weekend! The LAN was a blast! I gamed for about 20 out of 24 hours. Although I'm sitting here at work wishing I could find a place to take a nap, the weekend was worth it. When I started this project, I wanted to do something pretty extreme, but I also wanted a rig that was solid. I didn't want to throw anything in the case just for the sake of showing off. It had to have a purpose and useful function. Well, this thing proved it's worth to me over the weekend. It was rock solid stable. Not a single crash or glitch. The temps were stable under nonstop gaming. I even ran the whole weekend booted in Vista. Once again, it was a flawless showing. Damn, I love this thing! The only possible downside I can think of.... my gaming skills were a little lacking. I've spent too much time building, and not enough time gaming! Since I'm almost done with this project, that's about to change! :D

Well, I've almost got my side panel designs finalized. I wanted to keep them simple, but they may be too simple. I truly haven't decided yet, but I doubt they'll change much from what I have posted below. Yes, the panels are reversed. That way all the milling is done from the reverse side. The logos should catch the light quite nicely... Let me know what you think!

untitled2ji7.jpg

untitledro1.jpg

Well, I've almost got my side panel designs finalized.
Looks good. Is that a "Front Panel Designer" project?

Is there such a thing as a PCI Express x1 extender cable yet? There's a PCI Express x1 version of the X-Fi coming. That could solve the issue of the PCI extender cable blocking the view, as then the extender would be over the card that's already not visible.

Looks good. Is that a "Front Panel Designer" project?

Is there such a thing as a PCI Express x1 extender cable yet? There's a PCI Express x1 version of the X-Fi coming. That could solve the issue of the PCI extender cable blocking the view, as then the extender would be over the card that's already not visible.

It's most certainly a job for Front Panel Express. They've done some great work for me in the past, and they're my first choice when it comes to a project like this as well.

Speaking of PCI x1... this would make the answer, a yes!

It's most certainly a job for Front Panel Express.
I hadn't heard of FPE until I started following this thread. Now I have Front Panel Designer installed. No real plans for it, yet, but I'm sure I will eventually find a need. Seeing the L.O.S.I.A.S. front panel is enough to convince anyone to use FPE.

Speaking of PCI x1... this would make the answer, a yes!
Oof! I'm sorry I followed that link. I hadn't realized those slot extenders were that expensive. For two connectors and a chunk of ribbon cable?!

edit: Newegg has a picture of the first PCI-Express X-Fi card. It's not actually for sale; it's wrongly associated with some other X-Fi. And you can see it's full-size, not low-profile-height like the XtremeGamer, so it might not fit.

Though from what I can tell, you have a Sugo of Holding. As long as you don't have sharp pointy parts, and keep it away from portable holes, it'll be fine.

WOW! I am just amazed at the quality of this mod. You my friend have some amazing skill and deserve all of the praise that has been given. I do have a few questions though. This carbon fiber film, where can I snag some of it? Also, do you have your own personal machine shop or something to fabricate all of the little parts and doo-dads?

Again... keep up the fantastic work and I can't wait to see the final result.

You can snag some of the film from mnpctech.com. It's not terribly expensive, and works really well for what it is. No personal machine shop here. Mostly just a Dremel, drill, and files. I've got lots of ideas in my head that would require a machine shop though... maybe someday. :D

As everyone has said im in amazement of how much you fit into that little case! the LCD mod is my favorite though. Love how it looks so clean and as if you bought it that way from a Silverstone auction. :) Great work man.

Great Job craigbru! :D

As to the 4th sata hdd, Have You tried or thought about a 2.5" sata hdd?

Great Job craigbru! :D

As to the 4th sata hdd, Have You tried or thought about a 2.5" sata hdd?

What a great idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I'm certain I could find room for one of those in there. :D

My side panels finally arrived!

What a beautiful box! For some reason, boxes from FPE always make me happy...

img2857hu6.jpg

It's the little things that matter. Gummy bears! Mmmm....

img2858vp4.jpg

Here are the beauties unwrapped.

img2859vl3.jpg

img2861kd7.jpg

The panels fit perfectly on the case. 12 screws, and the things were bolted in to place. I couldn't have asked for anything more. The quality is stellar!

img2862ty4.jpg

img2863uw9.jpg

img2864yc4.jpg

img2865fc0.jpg

I'll have more pics once I get the new CCFL's installed. Until then!

holy S@#!T that is crazy:eek: great job i know that was ALOT of work. your going to have to let us all know what kinda temps you get in that thing. do you plan on water cooling the gtx's? anyways keep it up and keep the pictures coming :)

Looks extremely good, keep it up, i know how hard it is to work with those sff. But your doing a really good job!

Thanks guys. My temps are currently running in the low 30's under load. There is very little variation from idle, which is usually a few degrees lower. I'd like to think it could do better, but with the OC and so much giving off heat in such a small space, it's probably not bad. I would love to watercool the GTX's, but I don't think I could get enough cooling capacity. I've never had a problem with the cards overheating in these small confines, so it's not a concern at this point.

You should really find some way to cover up the velcro tape wrapped around the PSU. It makes an otherwise perfect box look kind of ummm tainted. Mebbe rig up a custom black or carbon fiber film covered plexi covered plate around the sides?

You should really find some way to cover up the velcro tape wrapped around the PSU. It makes an otherwise perfect box look kind of ummm tainted. Mebbe rig up a custom black or carbon fiber film covered plexi covered plate around the sides?

Yeah, I agree. It could use a little something. I'll see what I can come up with, but I like the idea of some sort of a cover. Before now, I just had bigger issues to take care of. Now that I'm right down to the end, it's the details that matter.

i would personally recommend a large plexi panel, use a heatgun and make it into a "box that covers the sides bottom and parts of the back. it would be pretty cool if you frosted it as well :D

i havent posted here in like 3 years, but i had to post here.

this is freaking unreal man.

Another week, another update! I really should get this thing wrapped up, but frankly I've been having too much fun using it! I haven't wanted to keep it down for more than a day. I've got a few things done, just the same.

If you've got to use CCFL's, you might as well go with one of the best. I picked these up from Vibelights.com. Although they are high quality, their prices are comparable to most anything else out there. One benefit is that I can mix and match parts. I bought a 12" and a 6" CCFL, and inverter.

img2866de2.jpg

img2867kj8.jpg

Here you can see the aluminum vibelight inverter compared to a standard inverter. It's much smaller!

img2869yv8.jpg

Here is the 6" CCFL in it's new home.

img2878eg5.jpg

I decided to make a shroud to cover up the hard drives and their rails. A little aluminum and a dremel can get you places...

img2870gg5.jpg

img2871oz1.jpg

img2872uj9.jpg

img2873zo1.jpg

Same idea with the PSU...

img2874mg1.jpg

img2875qb3.jpg

img2876gn7.jpg

img2877cg5.jpg

More to come!

wow man i think this is my favorite mod because its sff, and it looks hella sweet!! great job man. but if you go quad then no sli?! but if u do would you be willing to sell me that cpu and the mobo? maybe for a nice price?

wow man i think this is my favorite mod because its sff, and it looks hella sweet!! great job man. but if you go quad then no sli?! but if u do would you be willing to sell me that cpu and the mobo? maybe for a nice price?

Thanks man! One of the downsides of going quad, will be the loss of SLI, but that's not a deal breaker. I haven't even made that much use of it right now anyway. I'd rather have the extra screen real estate from additional monitors. Besides, the 9800's are rumored to be hella powerful... :D

As far as the mobo and chip, I'd be willing to sell for a nice price. PM me in a few months.

Thanks man! One of the downsides of going quad, will be the loss of SLI, but that's not a deal breaker. I haven't even made that much use of it right now anyway. I'd rather have the extra screen real estate from additional monitors. Besides, the 9800's are rumored to be hella powerful... :D

As far as the mobo and chip, I'd be willing to sell for a nice price. PM me in a few months.

ya i cant wait for the 9800's and all the new video cards to come out. thats the next upgrade imma do for my pc.
and thanks man i will pm you for sure!

Well, it’s been almost 2 weeks since I posted an update. I figured I’d throw some electronic ink at the screen here, and let you all know what I’ve been up to.

While it’s hardly been exciting, I’ve been wrapping up some niggling details with the mod. For starters, I’ve been sorting out a few lighting issues, and a sticky DVD drive that required a partial disassembly. The lighting simply involved adding a few LED’s to light up the area behind the front vents. The DVD drive however, resulted in me pulling the drives out, and doing a little more filing on the face. The tight tolerance was causing pressure on the eject mechanism. DVD’s were not ejecting fully because of this. Everything is working flawlessly now.

I’ve also replaced all the bolts on the front of the case. They are now stainless steel, instead of the flat black. I should have everything back together shortly, and can get a few more pics posted. At that point, I’ll consider the case done (well, as done as I can be). Of course, I reserve the right to further modify if I get some crazy-ass thought in my head!

Just a few pics here of the completed case...

I'll get some high res shots both with, and without lighting, and a video up soon!

img3126eb6.jpg

img3131mo5.jpg

img3132eq6.jpg

img3133wx2.jpg

Back