Project PowerMac G5/X86 - SLI you bet!

MrBean_Oz said:
Updates will follow soon, guys - patience...hehe...I've got a normal daytime job too....and this time around I have been away to visit Customer site in lbury NSW....only got back just now ;)

Will speed things up a little towards the weekend....
wait - did you say NSFW?
in for pics...

(and update of project of course)

Hello,
Ok, a small, but significant update to this project.....as I have mentioned before, well, I would like to keep as close to Apple as possible with this mod.

Not just in looks department, also in functionality - yeah yeah, you know what's coming, don't you? rofl...

Well, watch this few pics below, and let me know if this will fit the theme of the mod - take note, I actually have this running on the system currently :)

Bear with me....

Installing Base System...

BaseSystem.jpg

and Media Files

MediaFiles.jpg

and French Language Files

FrenchFiles.jpg

Installing AMD Enabler...

AmdEnabler.jpg

and SSE3 Kernel Patch...

SSE3_patch.jpg

Then, optimizing the installation....

Optimizing_Installation.jpg

and finally, finishing setup.....

Finishing_Installation.jpg

and boot time!! To be greeted by this :(

SSE3_Error_on_boot.jpg

Okay, back to re-install, and de-select SSE3 patch, only use SSE2 patch for dual-core cpu's, as the SSE3 still have bugs.....

ah, booting again, and finally registration page...now we're making progress....

registration.jpg

and setting up my user account details.....

account_setup.jpg

Some other silly screen asking me if I already own a Mac? rofl...yeah, I do....

1st_time_startup.jpg

and Yippeeeee.....Mac Os X on my AMD dualcore setup....

MacOsX_yeay.jpg

and testing gfx, with default Apple Screensaver.....

Screensaver.jpg

You must love that symbol....looks so neat on the LCD....

Guys, I don't know if this is allowed or not, I have placed a bid on ebay for Mac Os X authentic DVD, and won! Just received confirmation now, so I am in the clear. So, I own a legal licensed DVD for this OS, and am planning on using it on one PC only - which to me make it legal - please do not flame me over this, I will try and investigate if I am allowed to do this or not. I am not disseminating any software, etc, and purchased a legal copy.

uhm. totally awesome? cant wait to see more shots of the work on the case! this is great! i prefer this over lots of cuts and dremelling and lights. just awesome!

Hi Guys,
Thanx for the feedback - I am currently travelling a lot between Tasmania and Melbourne, New South Wales for business.

Have a bit time here and there to work on the mod, next 2 weeks will see me have more time to spent on my hobby.

As soon as I can, I will post updates.

Hardware specs for this will change, awaiting my Conroe cpu, Crucial Ballistix ram, and Bad Axe motherboard.

So, all is not lost, I will keep you posted :)

Br,
MrBean

This mod looks sweet, nice craftsmanship and attention to detail. :)

For your sake I hope this is easier to work on that a real G5... those things are a bitch.

the black knight always triumphs!

For your sake I hope this is easier to work on that a real G5... those things are a bitch.

How so? I own one and disagree. I'm not starting anything, just wondering about your views.

[ dont take this the wrong way MrBean_Oz ] this thread might get locked down cause of the images that some peeople will see and say "xxxxx" it might violate board polocies or somthin

Nice project. Most mac-->pc's I see are heavily mutilated. I see you're trying to avoid that, and you're succeeding. Good work.

aiyo do you reckon you oculd post up or pm me with info on how you got your mac osx to work what s[pecial tools you need etc as i am planning on doing this and i hve many legal copies of mac osx but i have read a few guides and they confuse the hell outta me.

thanks
Xteriormotive

Arcygenical said:
How so? I own one and disagree. I'm not starting anything, just wondering about your views.
How much have you had to work on one? Changing hdd/memory? That's easy, sure. Try changing the power supply. I will say this for them, though - at least it is working again with a new psu (and a faulty reseat of the cpu/watercooling module, and a forgotten fan connection, etc - I wasn't the one who took it apart, so yeah...) Unfortunately the dead PSU appears to be a common problem on G5s.

the black knight always triumphs!

XLiveUSR said:
[ dont take this the wrong way MrBean_Oz ] this thread might get locked down cause of the images that some peeople will see and say "xxxxx" it might violate board polocies or somthin

I REally hope it doesnt come to that. I Like this thread and Would Love to see this bad boy finished.
Was even thinking of doing something similer. Except i was thinking of getting two of these cases, and joining them as one.. One side for the motherboard and cooling, the other side for Hard drives, Liquid resivoirs ect.

Fantastic mod so far. I'm very impressed with your ideas and your ability to plan ahead.

I use Macs all day at school, so I've become quite familiar with them. I wouldn't call myself a "fan" but I can't argue how nice the G5's look and how cool the OSX interface is.

Good luck with the rest of the mod!

How much have you had to work on one? Changing hdd/memory? That's easy, sure. Try changing the power supply. I will say this for them, though - at least it is working again with a new psu (and a faulty reseat of the cpu/watercooling module, and a forgotten fan connection, etc - I wasn't the one who took it apart, so yeah...) Unfortunately the dead PSU appears to be a common problem on G5s.

Ok, I agree with you on the PSU issue heh. I'm just glad that, no matter HOW old your system is, if it starts SPARKING, you get a free replacement of the PSU no questions asked. I had mine replaced last may. It was far from painful, however, I just dropped it off for a poor apple tech.

To the OP. I love this project. I doubt you'd be made to close this thread, just remove the offending images. Keep going, I can't wait to see an update.

I think we all just wish apple would open up their market again like the clone days and get these prices down. :wimper wimper:

Hey Guys,
Thanx for all your feedback, and support. I will do some work on the weekend, just got back home from New South Wales...hehe...lots of driving :(

Will post some updates next Sunday - 9 Aug 06.

Take care you all.

I am awaiting new Conroe hardware for this box.

Do any of you know any Conroe micro-atx motherboards out yet?

Feedback would be appreciated.

Gigabyte and asrock both have mATX boards, the asrock is 945 based and I haven't seen it for sale yet. Gigabyte is for sale in the U.S. here.

So what is actually supported in your OS X install? If I recall correctly not much works with NF4.

First off, fantastic work so far. I would love to see some more internal pictures. Updates, Updates and more Updates please! :)

MrBean_Oz said:
Goals:
1st SLi capable "PowerMac" in the world

Just a little information too, there is already an SLI "PowerMac" in the world, in fact there is even one already in Australia. I know because I made my own G5 mod last year with SLI. Beat you to it. Sorry! :rolleyes:

So what is actually supported in your OS X install? If I recall correctly not much works with NF4.

Everything works so far- sound, Lan, USB, IDE.....still have to test Sata, but even 7800GTX have driver support now (hacked drivers)

Just a little information too, there is already an SLI "PowerMac" in the world, in fact there is even one already in Australia. I know because I made my own G5 mod last year with SLI. Beat you to it. Sorry!

Ha, no problem :) Seems I am behind times here, hehe..

Ok guys,
just confirmed this order with Apple, as I said earlier I would luv to get my hands on this:

30_inch_lcd.jpg

So, it should be delivered mid next week, then I can go ahead at full steam again.

Should round the project off nicely ;)

Trust me, I cannot wait for the LCD to arrive.

And I have 2 really nice 7950GX2's that can't wait either :(

2560x1600 resolution....yesss...

Ok Guys,
a Small change of scope if you like: I have set my mind on the one board that will do this system justice, the just-announced Abit AW9D Max:

aw9dmax2ez.jpg

The reason for that being I had great success in the past wiht Abit Max-Series mobos, so much so that I actually owned 3 of them at 1 point in time, 2 of them with the then-famous VTT-Autoregulating vmod.

I am positive this board will be a great board, and if needed, yes, I will apply a few vmods :) no prob

So, this change the hardware portion of this mod dramatically, I never was going to be happy with a 4800+AMD cpu if I could fit a 6800X Conroe in here? Don't you agree? hehe - thought so.

Ram will be these parts here, OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 PC2-8000 XTC 2Gb, to give me good bandwidth, but, with tight timings. Even though the new Conroes are not benefitting as much from tight latencies as old Netburst cpus, due to large 4M shared cache, it will still give extra few points when chasing records.

TiAlphaDDR2_d2.jpg

...what do you do for a living man? Shit that's some expensive LCD

I am Technical Manager for Metso Automation in australia. We are a Global Pulp&Paper Automation Company. But, it doesn't help, the LCD still is very expensive :(

Take note that I am still awaiting availability of motherboard, and cpu. Ram I will order from PcManiacs in Melbourne, actually very close to where I live.

Should have it next weekend when I return from NSW.

What does all this mean for the mod, and one of my main goals, ie not to hack the case to pieces....

Well, I will have to re-adjust my thinking a little, and do away with Apple 600W psu - this will not provide 7950 quad with decent power. So, psu will relocate to the top, ala new Mac Pro style, I will probably use my new 1kw PC Powe&Cooling in here, if this doesn't fit, then the 750W Toughpower must do - should be good, so no problem there.

Harddrives will relocate to the bottom, well-hidden, dont worry, and I have to redo new motherboard mounting tray.

With the std ATX form-factor mobo, I will have to do a little cutting on the back of the case, to mount a new alu IO plate, which I already have. Should look very good, exept that I deviate a little from original intentions of retaining original Apple IO Plate with custom PCB/sockets.... :(

Cannot be helped.

Take note that I will not use complete removeable motherboard tray/IO Plate combo like Lian-Li's, I will only use backplate. Tray will be same as one I made earlier, just covering full-lebgth inside case.

Lot of extra work, but I am looking forward to it.

I have to make these changes to accommodate the new 30" ACD I ordered, I want to game at 2560x1600 native. Hence the new hardware specs.

Will keep you posted, obviously I have to await arrivasl of new motherboard before I can do much more - at least I will redo new motherboard tray, so it's ready for mobo and IO plate fitment.

Will keep you updated,
Beanie.

GO BEAN GO!!!!!!

yea that mobo looks absolutely tits! im happy abit has made this big big big effort to regain their position that they lost coinciding with oskar's depature to DFI. oh and gotta love chameleon paint ocz sticks!

Ok Guys,
Jeesh, by nature I am impatient, but boy-oh-boy, did this afternoon drag it's heels :(

But, now I am finally home, and did I get a shock at the size of the packaging on this thing - it's fekkin huge!

Here is a quick pic, just showing a size comparison next to my 19" HP 1955 LCD, unbelievable.

19_30_compare.jpg

In the background is my PC70 Lian-Li case, another idea of the size of this 30" monster. Even my wife could not believe it, she says it's as big as our 74cm TV...rofl.

Well, I installed 91.36 drivers, and they cause funny highlights on the display, like pinkish/blue/white pixel lines, so uninstalled, and used 91.31's, which works great.

I have to say, sitting 1m away from the display, you have to literally turn your head side to side to view 2560/1600 goodness. Probably the best money ever spend - yay!

Lemme know what you guys think....

Back