Project :: Silver Shadow

N H O said:
damn your still workin on this?? i love that case man esp with wat youve done with it :p

Hehe, yeah :) Once the front bezel has been paitned on Monday I can get to work getting everything back together.

Cheers for the comments :D

Heh us young dudes gotta stick together and mod Chenming/Cheiftec cases, I'm gonna "borrow" a few of your ideas for a future mod I'm doing. Btw, what model is that Marshall in the background of one of those pics.

I know, eh? I have one under my desk here, and old chieftec I got from OCsystem, steel, windowed, w/ a blow hole, and it will be my next watercooling project I am sure... this thread has been great for ideas about that case... :)

Cheers guys :)

Megadeth_Guy01, it's a Marshall Bass-state B30. I've got a Peavey 4x10" stack but it's nice to have something smaller for practice.

The project is on the home stretch now; I figured I’d show a few progress pics of the internals before I reach the finishing stages. I received the final parts back from the painters tonight…I’ll hold you all in suspense ;)

In preparation for the front bezel coming back, I got the case riveted back together. I previously used self-tapping screws but the bezel wouldn’t fit as the heads were too big.

img184.jpg

Pop :D

Now the internals, after getting the loop up and running I tried a couple of UV dyes before finding the perfect one.

img185.jpg

I first ran a mixture of BlueMotion and Blue revealing dyes but as you can see, it failed to match the cable sleeving.

I decided to try something with a darker shade; I drained the loop and filled it with some fresh water. I then added some Dark Blue UV Dye from Coolercases, it only took a couple of drops and the water had change to an awesome colour.

I let the system bleed motherboard side down, once the pump intake hose below the reservoir intake hose solved the problem of frothing water right away.

Here are the pictures at the current stage, I nabbed the Graphics department tripod for the weekend so they should be better than usual :p You’ll have to newly painted bits and bobs and the untidy cabling.

img186.jpg

Full on shot from the top.

img187.jpg

From the side.

img188.jpg

From the left side.

and when the lights dim down… :D

img189.jpg

As you can see, the new UV dye matches the internals much better :)

img190.jpg

Zoomed in slightly.

img191.jpg

Side shot.

img192.jpg

Zoomed in again.

img193.jpg

Here’s the lit up top section of the case. There’s another 2 UV cathodes mounted at the top to make the UV Perspex on the top panel glow :)

img194.jpg

The Aquatube is fitted with a white LED but as the water is blue, it provides a nicer colour than a plain blue LED :)

That’s all for now, updates will be on a regular basis now as the project is drawing to a close :(

Until then, mod on :D

Clean VERY VERY CLEAN. Your doing a great job, i haven't seen a project this good in a only time. :cool:

altec said:
Clean VERY VERY CLEAN. Your doing a great job, i haven't seen a project this good in a only time. :cool:

Cheers dude - means alot. I try my best, being 15 and jobless has its disadvantages. Needless to say, it's probably going to be a while until my next project ;)

Yea thats one super clean case you have there :cool:
Please tell me you have another case around just waiting to be modded :D

stryder2720 said:
Yea thats one super clean case you have there :cool:
Please tell me you have another case around just waiting to be modded :D

Funny you should say that, there was a competition draw on another forum today...I was secretly hoping I won the Coolemaster ACT S-4000.

Better luck next time I suppose :(

Leeum said:
Cheers dude - means alot. I try my best, being 15 and jobless has its disadvantages. Needless to say, it's probably going to be a while until my next project ;)
yeea i understand as i am 15 and also jobless and it took me a while to get all the parts for my computer ( about a year and a half ) and its nothing compared to ur clean *water cooled* rig :p love the simplicity of ur mods, keep it comin ;)

the way you mounted your pump has inspired me to mount my hydor to my external water cooling enclosure, gonna use a fold of metal bolted to the outside of the case for the hydor to sit on(if you saw my worklog for it you'd understand)

Leeum said:

I here yeah dude. I had to work my ass off just to start on my xbox mods lol.

Thanks for all the comments ;)

Elysian said:
the way you mounted your pump has inspired me to mount my hydor to my external water cooling enclosure, gonna use a fold of metal bolted to the outside of the case for the hydor to sit on(if you saw my worklog for it you'd understand)

Glad i've inspired you, just make sure you have a nice thick layer of foam underneath it and it'll be fine :)

Keep the comments coming all! :D

It’s about time I unveil the front bezel as it has arrived back from the painters :D

img195.jpg

Here’s all the painted bits and bobs from the painters, he even machine polished them for me! :)

img196.jpg

A close up of the other stuff.

The case handle is an interesting story; it seems it isn’t made out of ABS plastic. When the painter rubbed it down with spirits before painting he realised it was starting to melt, he got it washed off before it did any real damage.

You’ll be relieved to know the painting process went ok in the end :)

img197.jpg

I then fitted the lock for the front door and snapped the bezel back together. Here’s a shot outside to show the finish, the painter has done an awesome job again.

img198.jpg

I then got the case fitted with its shiny new feet, check out the shine of that bottom panel! :D

img199.jpg

:cool:

img200.jpg

Next task was to get the Vantec Nexus fitted back together. While it was in pieces I changed half of the LED’s back to blue, I felt the plain white was too bright and frankly boring.

img201.jpg

Here it is fitted back into the case. The silver knobs on the variable resistors are a great match with the silver :)

img202.jpg

How it looks in the dark after changing the LED’s.

I’ve been over the moon with the response I’ve received. It seems the log pulled a gig’s worth of pictures in August :eek:

Until then…mod on! :D

Cheers mate :)

For those of you who get Custom PC magazine in the states...watch out for the issue released towards the back end of November :D

This is a great classic style mod that is looking really great-- awesome DD cooling--love it!-That steel case is not easy to work with--I know I had one of those beasts. You make it look easy-

I have the same Waterchill pump as you. Why did you take that front cover thingy off?? Also mine after a few months of use has started making this annoying buzzing sound :( , any buzzing sound on your side??
NICE setup btw :).

Cheers for the kind comments :D

Endurance Man: No buzzing here, how have you got it mounted?

Custom PC photographer came today and it all went well, roll on November :D

Just a teaser pic for ya...

doneteaser.jpg

:cool:

Not a big fan of the case but you've mad eit look good.

Perhaps you may consider cutting the front doors out and placing some more perspex windows in those front doors? I hate that vented fornt door look.

Unoid said:
Not a big fan of the case but you've mad eit look good.

Perhaps you may consider cutting the front doors out and placing some more perspex windows in those front doors? I hate that vented fornt door look.

Valid point but I chose a Matrix over a Dragon because of the front bezel, I like it :)

Cheers

Leeum said:
Valid point but I chose a Matrix over a Dragon because of the front bezel, I like it :)

Cheers
me too :D esp. after i saw this thread :p good work man

Well, Issue 28 of Custom PC magazine came out yesterday... you'll never guess who was in Readers' drives? ;)

A few scans for y'all.

:D

Give me a few days and I'll get the final photoshoot of pictures up :)

Back