PSU site pimpage...

Passive PFC with an average factor of .70? Even passive PFC should give me better power factor than that.

I actually think that large coil is actually an AVR. It's the exact same as the coil in my 2000W Tap-Change AVR (maybe a little smaller because it doesn't have to handle as much wattage.)

Added the Asus Atlas 550W this morning.

Now working on Aspire Beast 680W.

Also have Aspire Dark Side and Kingwin Absolute Power.

Also, I finally got the RMA replacement for the NeoHE that blew up on the Asus A8N-SLI board I built a couple months ago. Since the guy who bought it is long gone and running just fine with a different power supply, this one will be subjected to the load tester.

jonnyGURU said:
Also, I finally got the RMA replacement for the NeoHE that blew up on the Asus A8N-SLI board I built a couple months ago. Since the guy who bought it is long gone and running just fine with a different power supply, this one will be subjected to the load tester.
Just curious, but would you be able to tell why the NeoHEs are failing on the A8N boards by opening it up? Perhaps these symptoms are reproducable on the load tester? I'm awaiting the review :D

I don't know. I could bump it to the top of the list. I don't really have another review started. I just have a couple that need to be formatted to the website and uploaded, photos resized, etc.

Maybe next week?

I haven't been keeping up with the NeoHE thread. Did we ever figure out what's blowing them up? High +5VSB? Too high of an initial +12V load? Any ideas?

Aspire Beast 680W finished tonight: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Beast/

For those who think I'm being "too nice," I grade power supplies out of context of the manufacturer and their other models. Thus why I don't slam Thermaltake for being... well.. Thermaltake.

But for those who expected another Aspire to crash and burn like the X-Qpack power supply did... stay tuned for the Aspire "Dark Side" 600W power supply review.

POP!!! :D

I'll remember to get some popcorn for that one ;)

Liked the 680W review - that active PFC model looks to be a much better design. Looks to be independant voltage regulation too with the three coils on the secondary side. I *think* they're both Youngyear, but not sure.

jonnyGURU said:
Aspire Beast 680W finished tonight: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/Beast/

For those who think I'm being "too nice," I grade power supplies out of context of the manufacturer and their other models. Thus why I don't slam Thermaltake for being... well.. Thermaltake.

But for those who expected another Aspire to crash and burn like the X-Qpack power supply did... stay tuned for the Aspire "Dark Side" 600W power supply review.

POP!!! :D

No offense but I still am not going to recommend that PSU ;) And I would have been much rougher in light of:

But Aspire no doubt is trying to pray on the uneducated consumer. First, take a look at how they list both normal and maximum wattages. Now look at the 12V rails. They list 16A and 18A. Not bad. But then they list a maximum of 22A and 24A. Maximum means, the regulators can go up that high, but don't expect clean voltage and if it stays that high for too long, expect fireworks. How do I know this? Look at the combined maximum wattage for the two 12V rails. It's only 310W. That's only 25.8A. I had the power supply up to 34A without surpassing either 12V rail's individual "normal" specification.

The other thing you have to notice (found here on Aspire's website) is the "load regulation" ratings. Instead of being at 5% tolerance as per the Intel ATX specification, they're listed as 10%. What this means is at lower wattage (unless you crossload the rails,) the power supply may be well within 5%. This is certainly reflected in my tests. But if you were to actually attempt to squeeze 680W out of this power supply, you may see 12V rails fluctuate as much as 10% out of spec. Not good.

For the record, I did attempt to put loads greater than 16A and 18A on the 12V rails and anything I put on them that added up to more than 34A, which is over spec according to the combined 12V rail rating, the PSU shut down. Even when the 3.3V and 5V were lowered almost all of the way down. Needless to say, the "maximum" amperage capabilities of each 12V rails are grossly unrealistic.

And the crossload issue.

That's quite alright. I really don't recommend it either...

But more than anything for the simple fact that they sell it as a "680W" when it really isn't anything more than a 550W no matter which way you shake it.

Putting the maximum peak output on a PSU label makes you no better than Powmax in my opinion. The only difference is Powmax is selling 300W PSU's as 500W's. Aspire's selling 550's as 680's. I cry foul.

So the review should be read as, "It's an ok power supply, but read the review before you make the decision."

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I'll remember to get some popcorn for that one ;)

Liked the 680W review - that active PFC model looks to be a much better design. Looks to be independant voltage regulation too with the three coils on the secondary side. I *think* they're both Youngyear, but not sure.

Me neither. The APFC model looked completely un-Youngyear (old X-Connect, MGE, other Aspires, etc.) but the components were the same.

I think the extra coil is actually on the primary side and is part of the PFC. Dunno for sure though. I is not that smart.

Well... Despite Youngyear's crappy quality control and Aspire's gross over-rating, Youngyears do typically have independent voltage regulation, so that would explain a bit.

Okie dokie...

I went ahead and bumped the Antec NeoHE to the front of the line.

The 430W is uploaded here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/NeoHE430/

As for the "Dark Side" that I was testing that blew up at 500W... Turned out to be just a fuse.....

P1010198.jpg

So I'll get a replacement at Radio Shack and finish that one up next.

_Korruption_ said:
I happen to like the NeoHE's looks a lot. Simple = good.

That's why aesthetics only make up for 10% of the score. I could've given the NeoHE a "1" for asesthetics and it would still have scored at least a 7.

I've got one personally. Great power supply. Testing quad rails is a pain in the rear. I'll get around to it. :D

now your supposed to let me know these things :rolleyes:
especially when I have the newsbox on the weekends

looks like it lived up to my kneejerk expectations :p

Well then.. I'm letting you know now. ;) It just went up 29 minutes ago. :)

hey jonny, you say you're using the X-finity 500w? i've been eyeballin' that one for some time. seeing as it's in your own case, i assume you find it to be a quality and above all SAFE power supply. i'm trying to build on the cheap (i should say inexpensive), and i can save myself the price of a couple nice fans by choosing the X-finity over the OCZ Modstream (for a non-SLI setup). can you point me one way or the other? thanks very much!

The Modsteam is modular. The X-Finity is not.

Besides that difference, I'm not as "in awe" of Topower P5 based power supplies as a lot of people. You can see how the ePower Tiger 550W faired on my website (it's the same platform as the Modstream.)

Now the Topower P6 (what the Powerstream is based on)... that's a whole different story. But it also costs a hell of a lot more, and if you're looking to spend THAT MUCH money, I think the Liberty and Silverstones are better values.

thanks for that, jonnyGURU. i have decided to go with the X-finity. i figure with the "lifetime warranty" i should be okay should the PSU decide to crap out on me. order confirmed, and all is well.

I couldn't help myself. I had load tested this PSU today and was so exited with the results, I spent the last two and a half hours taking pictures, editing pictures and doing the write up for this review:

Sytrin Nextherm 460W

This bad boy has active PFC, 76-78% efficiency, only exhibited a .06V drop in voltage over almost 250W, passed both crossload tests and it sells for only $69.99.

Let's just say it scored higher than any other PSU I've reviewed for jonnyGURU.com.

jonnyGURU said:
I couldn't help myself. I had load tested this PSU today and was so exited with the results, I spent the last two and a half hours taking pictures, editing pictures and doing the write up for this review:

Sytrin Nextherm 460W

This bad boy has active PFC, 76-78% efficiency, only exhibited a .06V drop in voltage over almost 250W, passed both crossload tests and it sells for only $69.99.

Let's just say it scored higher than any other PSU I've reviewed for jonnyGURU.com.

I couldn't tell you busted it out fast :p

Got your intention?
;)

jonnyGURU said:

Sytrin Nextherm 460W

did it come with the 5 1/4" display like showed on the gogofan website?

magnetik said:
did it come with the 5 1/4" display like showed on the gogofan website?

No. For $69.99 you only get the PSU. The PSU has the connector for the display, but the display is sold separately. If you buy the case, you get the PSU, the display and the Peltier chassis air-conditioner.

I'll add that because that's a good question.

jonnyGURU said:

Sytrin Nextherm 460W

Very nice... I really like the innards of that one. Definitely independantly regulated on all three main rails - I daresay this would draw a pretty picture on Oleg's rig at Xbit as well. Those heatsinks are really reminiscent of some Silverstones I've seen with the covers off.

Edit - Seventeam data sheet here: http://www.seventeam.com.tw/Backend/UpLoadPic/ST-460EAGV0.5.pdf

Wow. Seems like a killer deal. If only they went with a single 120 or quieter 80's. Still, can't argue with results.

It actually wasn't that loud until I whacked it with > 300W. Not very realistic load for a typical PC. And when it is under heavy load during a game, etc. it's easily drowned out. When it's idle and needs to be quiet because you're not at the PC but doing something else in the same room (like sleeping) it's just as quiet as most 120MM cooled PSU's out there.

I was reading your review and I noticed that you have the data on the crossload tests reversed...In the text you said:

During the high 12V load (low 5V) test, the 12V rails dropped way below tolerance. At 5%, 12V rails should drop no lower than 11.4V. These were at 11.21V.

The low 5V crossload test is the flipside of this. Let’s say you’re running a dual-core CPU and a pair of PCI-e video cards and rendering some serious graphics. 12V loads will be high (I use 14A each) but if you only have one hard drive, one optical and no USB devices, 5V may be very low (I use 3A.)

The results of the test were horrible. The 12V rail jumped all of the way up to 13.01V! That's a whole .41V over spec.

But in your graph it shows:

High 3.3V+5V Crossload
20A-----20A ------4A---------0A---------288.5W---72%-----.71
3.32V--5.04V----13.01V---13.01V
Low 5V Crossload
4A--------4A ------15A-------15A--------388.5W---72%-----.74
3.37V---5.13V---11.19V--11.21V

Sorry about adding the dashes in there but it's the only way to keep the table in line...anyways, I thought you might want to know that your table and text are at odds with each other.

[edit] My bad, I got confused by the way the text reads, the table is correct, I was just lost...sorry about that.

Actually, I do see a typo. I said "14A each" and I actually put 15A each as per the PSU's maximum combined 12V rail capability. So you did point an error out to me after all! :)

I take what I can get unless I pay for them out of pocket.

Back