question about de-lidding and arctic freezer 64

allen1090

n00b
So I think I've narrowed my heat problem down to the IHS, since everything else I have tried basically has no results.

My question though is, using the arctic freezer 64 pro, how much much pressure might there be on the core? Also how well would the hsf stay in contact with the core, due to the mounting device? What kind of heat sink would be recommended for going lid-less?

you will need to find/make a shim to put around the die to hold the heatsink flat. that is a heavy piece of metal for a 2cm^2 piece of silicone to support. but i cant tell you what hsf would work better. and also what heat problem are you refering to?

right now im clocked at 2.15ghz and undervolted at 1.3375v in the bios, now even with these lower volts core 2 is reaching ~56c under dual prime. When i up the volts to 1.375 @ 2.6ghz core 2 will reach ~65c :eek:
heat issue

what would you suggest to use as shims

Get a bolt through HSF if you're going to delid your CPU... Simple as that.

Not to mention the stock "clip" method won't push enough pressure on the chip without the 1mm of metal in the way...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835703006

^^ Get that! I had one on my 3500+ @ 2.8Ghz with 1.55-1.6vcore and it never got over 40C under load, EVER! I am now using the same one on my C2d setup (with the 775 bracket that I bought seperately) and it still holds the idle temp 1-2c above ambient room temp. I am using a Thermaltake fan on a controller and have the fan speed about 50% even.

yeah.. I had the same type of problem with my opty175.... it would get too hot.. even at stock voltages and speeds.

When I ran it at 2.75Ghz.. both cores would get up around 67-68C.. if it was nice and cool in the house..

Now, after I de-lidded it... I was able to drop the voltage almost .2v and it runs ~18C cooler than before under load (with orthos)

And the cores are max 3C difference in temp instead of ~7C difference.

It made a huge difference.... and I had already lapped both the IHS and the Heatsink (Thermatake Big Typhoon).

glad to know im not the only one with this problem atleast.

but on topic, I went and got a Big Typhoon yesterday, and can install it within the next few days. After i remove the IHS that is.

Back