Radeon HD 4890 in-hand

I wouldn't spend a dime on a reference heatsink 4890.
Seriously that piece of plastic was crap on the 4870, I can only imagine it on the 4890.

Seriously that piece of plastic was crap on the 4870, I can only imagine it on the 4890.

That's what I said in another 4890 thread.

Is it so hard to design a heatsink that cools well and doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner?

It's already been made. All they have to do is make the cards like the Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb Toxic. Very quiet and control load temps extremely well.

I am running one right now at 950/1000 no problems whatsoever. Open-air bench though. I will probably get around to putting it in a case when the excitement wears off ;)
I will update if/when I get better results. Literally just plugged it in and set it to 950/1000 right out of the gate.
Hell yes this is what I want to see. Now push it higher :p. Also, are there any voltage options in Rivatuner? I'm curious if it uses the same controller chip as the 4870s. Great card though, congrats, 950 already :cool:.

Can we not get a couple of standard benches for comparison here? 2 people have these things on our fourms already and not a single FPS figure? Is it really that much faster than a 4870? Put the rumors to rest!

Can we not get a couple of standard benches for comparison here? 2 people have these things on our fourms already and not a single FPS figure? Is it really that much faster than a 4870? Put the rumors to rest!

Yeah...total d*ck tease!

+1, if I had the card I don't think I would be just posting pictures of the card, common guys if you really got it give some numbers with the oc results.

I thought the stock cooler was awesome. The fan is back far enough so that you can have a PCI card underneath your video card and it won't obstruct the fan. IMO it's the best design for a cooler, even if you have to sacrifice a few degrees.

Forget about cooling! I want performance numbers! There will most likely be non-reference models hitting the shelves shortly after the reference ones are released which will more than likely satisfy everyones cooling needs! I don't feel that the cooler alone is reason enough not to buy a graphics card... If you're tight on money and can't build a new PC because you'd have to spend OMG $50 extra bucks, buy a console. I mean, I agree that reference coolers could be better, but that's extra cost which would deter customers from purchasing the product, thus ATI would be losing money. The stock cooler on the 4870's is more than adequate and the 4890 one will most likely be too.

On a sidenote: I will be purchasing Arctic Cooling's Accelero 4870x2 the day it comes not because my 4870x2 is overheating, but because it can get a little noisy :)

can't wait for the performance #s but according to legionhardware the 275 is tough aswell

Some benches....

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor @ 2500 Mhz
CPU ID: x86 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 32-bit Service Pack 1
Physical memory: 3.25 GB
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series 1024 MB
Video Processor: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9460)
Driver version: 8.01.01.882 (20090304065144.000000-000)
Motherboard: DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RS 1.0

CRYSIS

//////////// Summary \\\\\\\\\\\\\

01/01/2008 00:26:09 - Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 32-bit Service Pack 1

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: ambush @ 0 1680 x 1050 AA 2x
==> Framerate [ Min: 11.58 Max: 27.52 Avg: 23.12 ]

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: ambush @ 0 1920 x 1200 AA 2x
==> Framerate [ Min: 15.94 Max: 28.26 Avg: 23.23 ]

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: avalanche flythrough @ 8 1680 x 1050 AA 2x
==> Framerate [ Min: 14.90 Max: 24.07 Avg: 20.15 ]

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: avalanche flythrough @ 8 1920 x 1200 AA 2x
==> Framerate [ Min: 15.93 Max: 24.33 Avg: 20.17 ]

DirectX 10 ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: avalanche flythrough @ 8 1920 x 1200 AA 8x
==> Framerate [ Min: 0.00 Max: 0.00 Avg: 0.00 ]

DirectX 9.0c ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: ambush @ 0 1680 x 1050 AA 8x
==> Framerate [ Min: 12.85 Max: 29.45 Avg: 22.83 ]

DirectX 9.0c ENTHUSIAST 3X @ Map: avalanche flythrough @ 8 1680 x 1050 AA 8x
==> Framerate [ Min: 11.67 Max: 26.62 Avg: 20.50 ]

FARCRY 2

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.43
* Max. Framerate: 56.98
* Min. Framerate: 23.71

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.76
* Max. Framerate: 58.52
* Min. Framerate: 23.73

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 30.92
* Max. Framerate: 47.22
* Min. Framerate: 22.91

It's already been made. All they have to do is make the cards like the Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb Toxic. Very quiet and control load temps extremely well.

Amen. I LOVE mine. It's slaughtering 1900x1200 no problem, and everybody told me it wouldn't! Very good temps too!

hmmm looks like when you up the res. you still got the same fps in crysis if not better

hmmm looks like when you up the res. you still got the same fps in crysis if not better

And there's the one FC2 benchmark where increasing AA from 2x to 4x increases the average as well...Some strange numbers there indeed ZX679, wonder if its just due to drivers. Where those benches done at stock clocks? Also what happened at 1920 x 1200 AA 8x Crysis DX10? Did it just not want to run?

I've heard rumors that the 4890 has additional heatpipes, runs at 50c under load (assuming stock) but sounds like a "jumbo jet" if the fans are cranked past 50%. Not sure where I saw the mention of more heatpipes. Not in that article ...

I'm not sure what happened with that 1920 x 1200 AA 8x Crysis DX10 run. I think that the computer tried to go to sleep or something. I will do more benches tonight and I'll try OC'ing both the 4890 and the CPU as well

i want to see of xtremesystems people have done anything with the card but it seems like the site has shut down or something.

Why are you not running 64-bit Vista? You do know that the key will work for both 32 and 64-bit don't you?

Can you show me a single game where 64-bit Vista offers a perceptible advantage over 32-bit Vista?

Well 64-bit lets you use all of your ram. You only have about 2ish gigs going for you know with that 1GB 4890. It could easily impact game performance.

Thank you for the bench marks though!

Well 64-bit lets you use all of your ram. You only have about 2ish gigs going for you know with that 1GB 4890. It could easily impact game performance.

Thank you for the bench marks though!

YW for the benches. I think Tom's Hardware did an article that showed no real advantage of using 64-bit over 32-bit in gaming. I know you loose a bit of RAM but even that seemed to be of little consequence. Right now my system is using 3.25 of the 4 gigs.

I'll do a bit of editorializing and point out that in FarCry 2 the 4890 seems to go faster when you move from 2x AA to 2x AA @ 1680x1050 and going to 8x AA only costs 5fps. It makes this game so much more playable than on my 4870

Could you try setting the 4890 to the clocks of the 4870? Just to see if there is any difference in the performance at all.

Can you do assault level on the original crysis benchmark (not warhead)? I have a bunch of numbers/stats from benching my gtx 280 @ 738/1512/1246.

Could you try setting the 4890 to the clocks of the 4870? Just to see if there is any difference in the performance at all.

Sure, I'll do this after I do the OCed tests.

Can you do assault level on the original crysis benchmark (not warhead)? I have a bunch of numbers/stats from benching my gtx 280 @ 738/1512/1246.

Sure, what settings/res would you like?

Some benches....

FARCRY 2

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.43
* Max. Framerate: 56.98
* Min. Framerate: 23.71

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.76
* Max. Framerate: 58.52
* Min. Framerate: 23.73

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Custom), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 30.92
* Max. Framerate: 47.22
* Min. Framerate: 22.91

Your too CPU bound with this title. Here's my 4870 1GB @ 850/975 with Q9300 @ 3.45GHz.

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 52.25
* Max. Framerate: 62.56
* Min. Framerate: 44.30

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 47.32
* Max. Framerate: 62.26
* Min. Framerate: 37.60

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.28
* Max. Framerate: 57.35
* Min. Framerate: 25.18

Your too CPU bound with this title. Here's my 4870 1GB @ 850/975 with Q9300 @ 3.45GHz.

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(2x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 52.25
* Max. Framerate: 62.56
* Min. Framerate: 44.30

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(4x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 47.32
* Max. Framerate: 62.26
* Min. Framerate: 37.60

Settings: Demo(Ranch Small), 1680x1050 (60Hz), D3D10, Fixed Time Step(No), Disable Artificial Intelligence(No), Full Screen, Anti-Aliasing(8x), VSync(Yes), Overall Quality(Ultra High), Vegetation(Very High), Shading(Ultra High), Terrain(Ultra High), Geometry(Ultra High), Post FX(High), Texture(Ultra High), Shadow(Ultra High), Ambient(High), Hdr(Yes), Bloom(Yes), Fire(Very High), Physics(Very High), RealTrees(Very High)
* Average Framerate: 35.28
* Max. Framerate: 57.35
* Min. Framerate: 25.18

You're right. My CPU is definitely a bottleneck. Anyone know how to properly OC a phenom 9850 on a DFI 790FXB-M2RSH? It's really driving me up the wall.

You're right. My CPU is definitely a bottleneck. Anyone know how to properly OC a phenom 9850 on a DFI 790FXB-M2RSH? It's really driving me up the wall.

Is that board a 750sb or the older 650sb?

I know there is a decent difference in how they overclock, sadly.

I vote we lynch every game programmer that doesn't use a clear, uniform system for labeling graphical quality settings from here on out.

For example,
low, medium, high, ultra
low, medium, high, highest

None of this "some settings go to high, others to very high, some to ultra high" bullshit. I've lost at least a year of my life to needlessly pulling down combo boxes to check their contents (which sometimes requires scrolling... for 4 items!) and someone needs to pay.

Crytek meanwhile is banned from ever designing anything again after introducing "mainstream," "gamer," and "enthusiast" as graphical quality levels. Putting a stop to it now.

At 3GHz, that CPU will be better, the Phenom architecture scales greatly in line with it's frequency, specially the newer ones.

Back