Retail Edge 2007!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, q6700... I still have my copy of ultimate from last year unused so premium is no big deal.

Since, none of old stuff works with this bundle. Any recommendations on what kind of video card and memory to get and where to get it?

Since, none of old stuff works with this bundle. Any recommendations on what kind of video card and memory to get and where to get it?

Wow! That is a really open ended question. In my opinion, it is hard to beat NewEgg for your hardware needs. As for actual suggestions for a graphics card you would need to specify budget and what you want to do.

Sweet, I *AM* eligible. I thought I was not. Awesome.

I'll have about 10500 points after taking this months quiz. So when November's quizzes come along I will have over 12k. Will probably go for that instead.

*predicts a lot of vista home premiums popping up for sale soon*

Sweet, I *AM* eligible. I thought I was not. Awesome.

I'll have about 10500 points after taking this months quiz. So when November's quizzes come along I will have over 12k. Will probably go for that instead.

*predicts a lot of vista home premiums popping up for sale soon*

Along with the mobo as these tend to be OEM copies, not retail.

People sell OEM copies of windows all the time. The only difference is that with OEM copies, you don't get microsoft support.

Anyone building a new computer instead of buying one pre-made does not need it. :p

I forgot about the bonus chips for logins, I'll have 12k before November actually. Sitting at 11700 now, so this shouldn't be an issue to get the premium. :)

People sell OEM copies of windows all the time. The only difference is that with OEM copies, you don't get microsoft support.

Anyone building a new computer instead of buying one pre-made does not need it. :p

I forgot about the bonus chips for logins, I'll have 12k before November actually. Sitting at 11700 now, so this shouldn't be an issue to get the premium. :)

OEM copies are legally bound to a hardware device. Retail copies are bound to you.

But yes, you are correct, people do sell them all the time (and so will I). =]

If they don't give us the choice of 32-bit or 64-bit and give us 32-bit vista where can I download a copy of the 64-bit version that I can burn and will my 32-bit key work? Yes I know that you can get the 64-bit media from Microsoft for a small fee but I don't want to pay the small fee.

[21CW]killerofall;1031529677 said:
Yes I know that you can get the 64-bit media from Microsoft for a small fee but I don't want to pay the small fee.

You'll have to.

Yay! My computer looks to be only a little over a month away! :D

btw, I'm on a bit of a budget and hopefully I should get my computer built around the time I receive this pack. I was thinking about getting the speculated new ati/nvidia card (new 88/2950). I have about 200-300$ left to spend after I buy the premium :)D) bundle.

I was wondering if it would be more worth my while to try and find some way to *ahem get rid of this board and get a dif mobo, or keep it as is until i find real need to upgrade.

p.s. I'm not an experienced overclocker and it seems this board would suit my needs. also worried about the lack of PCI slots. Any suggestions?

The Bundles

This year’s Purchase Program boasts two different bundles: a stellar bundle with the Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 processor, and a premium bundle featuring the Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6700 processor!

Stellar Bundle

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 processor

* 2.4 GHz, 1066 MHz Front Side Bus, 8MB L2 Cache

Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL Media Series

* Delivers better performance and capabilities for multimedia creation and enjoyment

* Fully supports Microsoft* Windows Vista*

Windows Vista* Home Premium Edition

* Boasts the Aero* interface, which offers dynamic effects and realistic animations

Get this bundle for a steal at $219!

Premium Bundle

Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6700 processor

* 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz Front Side Bus, 8MB L2 Cache

Intel® Desktop Board DG33TL Media Series

* Delivers better performance and capabilities for multimedia creation and enjoyment

* Fully supports Microsoft* Windows Vista*

Windows Vista* Home Premium Edition

* Boasts the Aero* interface, which offers dynamic effects and realistic animations

Get it all for only $249!

OEM copies are legally bound to a hardware device. Retail copies are bound to you.

But yes, you are correct, people do sell them all the time (and so will I). =]

Myth! Microsoft will gladly issue you a new product key to re-activate windows. I've done it twice in the last 2 months for friends of mine with out of warranty machines. We ended up buying a new mainboard and ram for both of them. A quick call to MS took care of it.

(all manufacturers such as dell and hp have oem licenses)

All Q6700 are g0 stepping and If u into overclocking, then Q600 can be made faster than Q6700..

I stand corrected, I never thought they'd give us that crappy of a mobo.
At least we have the option of a Q6700 however. Are they worth it over the Q6600?

Myth! Microsoft will gladly issue you a new product key to re-activate windows. I've done it twice in the last 2 months for friends of mine with out of warranty machines. We ended up buying a new mainboard and ram for both of them. A quick call to MS took care of it.

(all manufacturers such as dell and hp have oem licenses)

Did the same thing. Even so, the license (legally) is still bound to the hardware and cannot be (legally) transferred.

And yes, I've called MS multiple times to activate Windows, it was just a matter of saying major upgrades or something.

ok so we can order anytime before Dec 31 right? I thought they said there would be limited supply though... will they run out if you wait?
I won't have 12,000 until Nov :[

All Q6700 are g0 stepping and If u into overclocking, then Q600 can be made faster than Q6700..
what stepping does Q6600 have? I thought Q6700 should be better since it has 10x multiplier. I haven't really been following the latest processors..

Heh, not overly impressed with this year's bundle, though i'm excited that they're giving us the chance for a Q6700 (i'm goin' with that one for the 10x multi :D).
I figured surely we'd get Vista Ultimate...

Heh, not overly impressed with this year's bundle, though i'm excited that they're giving us the chance for a Q6700 (i'm goin' with that one for the 10x multi :D).
I figured surely we'd get Vista Ultimate...

You have to realize that in a way, things balance out. Last year they gave the E6300 which sold for around 180-190 at the time of the bundle's release. This year you get at least the Q6600 which goes for around $280 or for $30 more the Q6700 which last time I checked is selling for around $500. This year's bundle can been seen as a better deal unless you were set on going with a 64bit OS or you really wanted those "Ultimate" extras (heh, texas holdem). I personally plan on avoiding vista all around and just going with XP pro again.

Any news for people having over 25k points? Is it going to be some other bundle available with maybe badaxe2 board...

You have to realize that in a way, things balance out. Last year they gave the E6300 which sold for around 180-190 at the time of the bundle's release. This year you get at least the Q6600 which goes for around $280 or for $30 more the Q6700 which last time I checked is selling for around $500. This year's bundle can been seen as a better deal unless you were set on going with a 64bit OS or you really wanted those "Ultimate" extras (heh, texas holdem). I personally plan on avoiding vista all around and just going with XP pro again.

I already have three Vista Ultimate licenses; using all three too :)

I shouldn't complain really; as long as everything goes well & i get this, i'll be getting a Q6700 (certainly nice, though really not worth all that much more than the Q6600 in spite of how Intel prices it) for a great price, & will have the mobo & Vista Premium to sell.

I might keep Vista though, dunno yet.

G0 (SLCR) new ones and G3 stepping on old Q6600..
Most likely u will get G0, if u going for q6600..
The Q6700's maximum multiplier of 10x offers a couple of benefits over the 9x of the Q6600. First, it makes it much easier to calculate the overall clockspeed when setting the front-side bus speed. Far more importantly, it also brings down the bus speed required to achieve the desired clock speeds.

ok so we can order anytime before Dec 31 right? I thought they said there would be limited supply though... will they run out if you wait?
I won't have 12,000 until Nov :[

what stepping does Q6600 have? I thought Q6700 should be better since it has 10x multiplier. I haven't really been following the latest processors..

G0 (SLCR) new ones and G3 stepping on old Q6600..
Most likely u will get G0, if u going for q6600..
The Q6700's maximum multiplier of 10x offers a couple of benefits over the 9x of the Q6600. First, it makes it much easier to calculate the overall clockspeed when setting the front-side bus speed. Far more importantly, it also brings down the bus speed required to achieve the desired clock speeds.

So basically, if you have the points, go for the premium bundle indefinitely?

Damn...... I only can get a maximum of 8500 as of today, and I've done the toolbox and logins for this month. Is there anyway I can get 12000 by the due date?

Yes, go visit nearest event and do all the stuff for November/December.. thats like 4000 right there..

Damn...... I only can get a maximum of 8500 as of today, and I've done the toolbox and logins for this month. Is there anyway I can get 12000 by the due date?

Yep. 8,500 points + 2 x 1,000 point challenges + 2 x 250 point articles = 12,000 points by mid December not counting any other points from logins, toolbox, and live events. I am at 13,575 points and will be going to a live event in a few weeks to get verified.

your math is off, 11,000.. :)

[21CW]killerofall;1031537451 said:
Yep. 8,500 points + 2 x 1,000 point challenges + 2 x 250 point articles = 12,000 points by mid December not counting any other points from logins, toolbox, and live events. I am at 13,575 points and will be going to a live event in a few weeks to get verified.

anybody intending to sell off theirs ?

im upgrading from a single processor amd :D heard intel better at multi cores.

anybody intending to sell off theirs ?

im upgrading from a single processor amd :D heard intel better at multi cores.
I'm actually looking to get rid of my E6300 from last year once I get the new bundle, so if anyone's interested....

i have 10,500 Points (never knew about the toolbox thing)

how many times do you have to login to get the points for that?

if you login like 10x in a row will they count that? or is it like throughout the month?

Anyone have a formula for this?

I noticed the price for the "Stellar" bundle was $249, any idea what the price on the "Premium " bundle is?

I work at Micro Center and our Intel Rep isn't too forthcoming with his information.

I noticed the price for the "Stellar" bundle was $249, any idea what the price on the "Premium " bundle is?

I work at Micro Center and our Intel Rep isn't too forthcoming with his information.

Both are in there, the cheaper one costs $219.

People, don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping. It is usually $10 - 20.

i have 10,500 Points (never knew about the toolbox thing)

how many times do you have to login to get the points for that?

if you login like 10x in a row will they count that? or is it like throughout the month?

Anyone have a formula for this?

From my experience, I think logon points are given once a day for 2 days per month. I may be wrong about that but it's not that much points, maybe like 100 or so per visit. And also you can only get 500 points (250x2) per month for toolbox downloads.

I'm pretty sure that's how those work, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back