Retail G4's coming soon....

Cathar said:
No, that's just a guy who bought a number of G4's a while back (~6 months ago) and is building and selling custom systems with them installed.

The Storm/G4's will be available much like any other waterblock you can get.

Damn! I thought I found something cool... :p
I corrected my earlier post.

Cathar said:
There is now very little to differentiate a modern "German" setup from a modern "US" setup, except for the old die-hards who insist on 6mm ID tubing. I would like to think that people on both sides of the Atlantic could realise that and know that they can quite happily share components between the two continents with minimal fear of incompatibility.

Exactly Cathar.
Some manufacturers (hard pressed to keep the pace with the requests from their buyers for more performance), manage to bring out blocks that function well with a higher flow, but they don't to loose "face", so insist on 6mm ID tubing.
It's the lack of understanding from the two sides that is stopping the design and creation of better parts, and ultimately is responsible for not making WCling go foward as it should be - hence the incompatibility factor.

I just got email that it will be under the SwiftTech name!
Whether or not its being manufactured by them or Cathar is still unknown...
Please correct me if I am wrong.

vapb400 said:
Swiftech! Awesome, hopefully it looks better than swiftech's current blocks.

If it's true, I hope so or I'm travelling to Ozzie land and beating someone up. :p

vapb400 said:
Swiftech! Awesome, hopefully it looks better than swiftech's current blocks.

It will probably look quite similar to current G4s I am guessing.

If it is true that swiftech bought the design, good for them now they can have a really high performance block and hopefully can produce it in high enough quantities to make the cost affordable.

CAD OC'er said:
I just got email that it will be under the SwiftTech name!
Whether or not its being manufactured by them or Cathar is still unknown...
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Where did this email come from?

CAD OC'er said:
From a reseller... Why? was I not supposed to say anything?

I was just wondering who was spreading that rumour that's all.

Am not confirming or denying anything.

Cathar said:
I was just wondering who was spreading that rumour that's all.

Am not confirming or denying anything.
:)
I was told it was an "announcement" to them.
I guess nothing is "set in stone" yet..

Brandon_Tyler said:
WEll, its next week, and no news. hmmm, maybe it'll come later this week.

Indeed it will. Wednesday-Friday apparantly.

I got a little bored waiting for news to be released. So I made this:
beerbrandsforsters1wc.jpg

Forster Australian for WaterCooling Engineer
I don't know.... I couldn't think of a WC term that rhymed with beer. :)

anyway, so when will you be releasing more info on your retail block? only when it's official?

One thing I gotta say is... swiftech better make the block easy to maintain :p Clogging on G4 is not something to skimp on. I noticed much higher temp than normal one day and took down the unit and opened up to see half the pores on derlin just.... blocked with some wierd looking gunk. (hmmm foreign materials in my loop...)
Very good block indeed though about 2-3c lower than MCW 6002 with BIP3 and MCP600 in loop. Not sure how it would do with something like DDC vs MCP 600 though... 1-2c off? I know you probably will recommend MCW6000 with DDC right Cathar?

Retail G4s, pretty cool. Now that they'll be effortless to get, I'll have to buy one when I do my do my next wc setup.

Good job! :D

Hey Cathar, can you post a picture of the G5 or G4 fully assembled, i'd like to see one like that. Thanks.

jinu117 said:
One thing I gotta say is... swiftech better make the block easy to maintain :p Clogging on G4 is not something to skimp on. I noticed much higher temp than normal one day and took down the unit and opened up to see half the pores on derlin just.... blocked with some wierd looking gunk. (hmmm foreign materials in my loop...)

I think this is a common problem with blocks that have nozzle jets. The Cuplex XT does the same thing when there are contaminants in the cooling system. Probably best not to use a used heater core. ;)

I don't know why you guys are thinking it swiftech when Cathar never said it was Swiftech.

I'm assuming D-tek will be selling the blocks more than swiftech.

mohammedtaha said:
I don't know why you guys are thinking it swiftech when Cathar never said it was Swiftech.

Swiftech is a logical choice if you knew the history on procooling and overclockers.com forums. Don't think D-tek has the capitol to venture into the G4/G5 world and after the terrible appearance of the WW (took way too long to get out to the market), Cathar might be looking for a company who can mass produce to meet the demand it will have. If it is DD, I will cry. :(

I personally prefer swiftech for partner as they do have more of corporate image while still being very friendly to us in general. Also, it might be good way to push swiftech into right direction as far as their radiator selection goes, etc for a little more than beginner setup. If you think about it, only thing in their package that was severely lacking was...
1) not much of promotion for 1/2" ID system
2) Small, or insufficient radiators for most demanding users.
Imagine G4 kits premiering at about $300 with dual radiator that actually is high quality and all ready to setup.... Swiftech can definitely pull classic hit on this.

jinu117 said:
I personally prefer swiftech for partner as they do have more of corporate image while still being very friendly to us in general. Also, it might be good way to push swiftech into right direction as far as their radiator selection goes, etc for a little more than beginner setup. If you think about it, only thing in their package that was severely lacking was...
1) not much of promotion for 1/2" ID system
2) Small, or insufficient radiators for most demanding users.
Imagine G4 kits premiering at about $300 with dual radiator that actually is high quality and all ready to setup.... Swiftech can definitely pull classic hit on this.

sorry, can't imagine that.

I would like to purchase a Storm at a reasonable price. That's why they're being sold at larger quantities. If I have to pay $200 for a Storm, it better be Platinum.

I just hope who ever will be retailing the G4/G5's will use the same design that Cathar used. It would suck if they did what DTek did. Cathar, will the performance be the same from what you personally sold and what the retailers will sell?

Taken from the XtremeSystem forum:

Forum admin:
"btw is this company keeping the design pure to ur materials and specs or are they gonna screw with it like what hapend with the WW?"

Cathar **snip** "no one has anything to fear (well, nobody who wants one has a reason)." :D :cool:

mohammedtaha said:
sorry, can't imagine that.

I would like to purchase a Storm at a reasonable price. That's why they're being sold at larger quantities. If I have to pay $200 for a Storm, it better be Platinum.

1) I did mention whole kit... Storm ain't gonna be cheap even if mass produced due to design... partial reason Cathar used derlin for jets was not only to reduce material cost but ease the machining process (actually, I am not sure which material would be cheaper but machining cost along would offset it greatly... even than, those many little holes precision machined and shaped for nozle... I mean, I had the block)

2) FYI, G5 block made on silver is about $200 USD. If I remember right using silver has multiple advantages in this case of heat conductivity, even easier to machine than copper for much more dense design... Platinum.... now there is an idea... let me see, my ring which I did get at wholesaler price thanks to my jewerly wholesaler friend... is only $270 or so for a band.... (I think it does sell for $600-700 on most jewerly store) Imagine trying to make block with that material :p

Watercooling could be as cheap as highend aircooling solution or as expensive as single phase phasechange cooling depending how you want to go about it. (my previous setup would have costed about $700-800 total with 2 BIP3, 6 Panaflo M1a, 2 MCP600, Silverprop fusion HL, Storm G4....)
I am on set of mentality here that G4 is great for someone who is willing to spend $100 or so on block itself for few degree better temp. (which is true for pumps, tubings which are harder to manage - we all know larger = better for temp, incredible amount of money on good fans to keep noise down (I mean typical H2O system with good fans, fans along are anywhere from $30-70 expenditure), good pumps, or more than one pumps, etc additional $30-50 on best performing block isn't much more.

Damn I cant wait to get my G5! I hope tho that it would come to Europe pretty fast :rolleyes:
Else I'll buy it from the states or Canada. ;)

mohammedtaha said:

I started the rumor that it will be Swiftech only because a reseller emailed me that info. Cathar never confirmed nor denied it, but all we can do is wait and see. :) :)

CAD OC'er said:
I started the rumor that it will be Swiftech only because a reseller emailed me that info. Cathar never confirmed nor denied it, but all we can do is wait and see. :) :)

I know you did that's why we should not assume.

CAD OC'er said:
I started the rumor that it will be Swiftech only because a reseller emailed me that info. Cathar never confirmed nor denied it, but all we can do is wait and see.

Well that makes sense as Swiftech has the oomph to make it happen and they need the product expansion into big bore so it fits. D-Tek isn't a good choice after what they did to the last Cathar designed block. DD is a possibility as they are making a lot of big moves lately, but they can't seem to decide if they want to be a manufacturer/wholesaler or a retailer and have been alienating a lot of their distribution channel lately. So I think Swiftech is the logical choice as they have the marketing power. money, and distribution to really make it happen big time. :D

Did anyone ever stop to consider that if a large enough company became involved the plastic (delrin) parts that had been previously machined could instead be force injetion molded to precision tolerences and save a buttload of time and shave a whole helluva lot of cost off the manufacturing process while not having any impact on performance?

If that was the case we could see a goodly price drop since faster and simpler techniques yield improved cost per unit made which could then be passed on to the public.

madmat said:
Did anyone ever stop to consider that if a large enough company became involved the plastic (delrin) parts that had been previously machined could instead be force injetion molded to precision tolerences and save a buttload of time and shave a whole helluva lot of cost off the manufacturing process while not having any impact on performance?

If that was the case we could see a goodly price drop since faster and simpler techniques yield improved cost per unit made which could then be passed on to the public.

That kind of precision injection molding is very expensive, but it is used to do medical stuff so if you have the volume it would be cost beneficial. The question is whether you can sell enough widgets to make up for the startup costs. ;)

i think delrin was used because it was less prone to cracking compared to poly carb which is used on most blocks.

also, my money is on swiftech

although it would be cool if thermochill could update their waterblock/distribute in europe?

black_dante said:
also, my money is on swiftech

although it would be cool if thermochill could update their waterblock/distribute in europe?

thermochill makes only radiators and aren't they based in the UK? I would think that would make their distribution in europe pretty simple.

Top Nurse said:
That kind of precision injection molding is very expensive, but it is used to do medical stuff so if you have the volume it would be cost beneficial. The question is whether you can sell enough widgets to make up for the startup costs. ;)

If you already have the equipment to do the molding all you need is mold halves and a couple of sets of mold halves can be machined with not much more trouble than is already being spent on machining the piece you'd be molding.

For a company like Swiftech that already had molded parts the mold dies are likely all that they'd require unless they farm out their molding to someone else.

madmat said:
If you already have the equipment to do the molding all you need is mold halves and a couple of sets of mold halves can be machined with not much more trouble than is already being spent on machining the piece you'd be molding.

Making molds is really painstaking work and takes what they call a "mold maker" that is a specialized precsion machinist. So it isn't just a little more trouble to make a mold over actually producing the part. Besides after you do machine a mold you have to send it out for super expensive polishing to bring it into spec. Most people wouldn't go this route unless they have many thousands of parts to make. :)

I take it your vast experience in plastic molding comes from years spent not doing it?

thermochill used to make waterblocks.
i think they are still interested in making kits (they do have a reservoir and rads... all they would need is a block)

Back