Retail G4's coming soon....

I am going to be chopping wood (2 large trees worth) for my parents for 200$. That is just about enough for a STORM, D5, and BIP (single :( damn you P180, I shall conquer you eventually).

Stew, very large congratulations! I hope you make a pile of money off this, since you deserve all the success and money that comes you way. ;) :D

Erasmus354 said:
I am going to be chopping wood (2 large trees worth) for my parents for 200$. That is just about enough for a STORM, D5, and BIP (single :( damn you P180, I shall conquer you eventually).

Make sure you chop for about 4 weeks or so. Better 120mm rads coming everyone's way soon too. ;)

Looks like you made it to the big corp business Cather. Great looking blocks..........Congrats man...............puts all those "other" blocke to shame... :D

NOOOOO!!!!!!
DARN YOU CATHAR!....lol
Kinda ironic that I got paid yesterday, and this comes out today. So much for THAT paycheck...lol. Anyways, when you are talking about the better rads, are those the new HWlabs single pass rads, or something completely different. Also, can you give us a hint as to when they might be availible?

-Ghent

CONGRATS! Cather.

You are an Icon in this industry and this is just one more reason why.

You must be very proud of your design.

PLEASE give us a bit more info on your teaser about the rads. Did you have a part to play in it or are you just aware of others work?

Thanks for your contributions and keep 'em coming.

Where can we get one today? Ordering from the Swiftech site says it can take up to 2 weeks to ship...

Congratulations Cathar, it's good to see that a reputable company will be using your design (and gave you credit for it)! :D

New block will be readily available soon, D5 is out, new rads should be amazing. At least my Fusion HL hasn't been outdated yet (until Cathar finishes his anyways). I guess the good thing about upgrading everything in the loop is that the old stuff can play in my "spare" computers. :eek:

Cathar said:
Make sure you chop for about 4 weeks or so. Better 120mm rads coming everyone's way soon too. ;)
you mean like the ThermoChill PA160.

"The design and development of the PA160 radiator was decided upon amongst many of the more technically-oriented (& highly regarded) names on the watercooling scene, based on numerous theoretical models to predict it's final performance. As such, the existence of this radiator is a result of a collaborative effort between members of ProCooling forums in the design spec, and ThermoChill in the physical production and engineering. The final specification was decided upon by Cathar of LittleRiver after the crunching of many models by various folks at Procooling.com."

halusha said:
Where can we get one today? Ordering from the Swiftech site says it can take up to 2 weeks to ship...
Swiftech shipped some quantities to stores yesterday. You should see them in stores on Wednesday.

New rads :O
damn i just got my Black Ice Pro II Radiator from USA, and i live in Finland :p
Ohwell i guess my rad will be good enough :p

qdemn7 said:
you mean like the ThermoChill PA160.

"The design and development of the PA160 radiator was decided upon amongst many of the more technically-oriented (& highly regarded) names on the watercooling scene, based on numerous theoretical models to predict it's final performance. As such, the existence of this radiator is a result of a collaborative effort between members of ProCooling forums in the design spec, and ThermoChill in the physical production and engineering. The final specification was decided upon by Cathar of LittleRiver after the crunching of many models by various folks at Procooling.com."
Hopefully in 2x120mm and at a decent price. Otherwise I'll just keep my Bonneville. :eek:

RickyJ said:
Hopefully in 2x120mm and at a decent price. Otherwise I'll just keep my Bonneville. :eek:

keep your bonne anyways, wont be worth it to upgrade I am predicting.

About the new radiators Cathar so ruthlessly teased us about. Any idea on the pricing? DD just got the PA160 in their store and are selling it for 90$. Will this new 120mm rad be around the 50$ or less price point? Because you can get a BIP for 25$.

Great price and performer, good job cathar and i hope you go buy something you dont need like a boat or a ducati maybe even one of those big knives like Corocodile Dundee had.

I will be getting one of these before an XT any day.

here is Cathars quote:

Cathar from OCAU forums said:
Swiftech will handle the Storm/G4 block from now on.

I am free (and am glad to do so) to continue my private goal of pursuing ever better waterblock performance and all future blocks from me always fold in the lessons of the past.

The Storm/G5 will remain the premier top-end block from me (and available only through me) for an indefinite period and I will continue to evolve and improve it where possible.

This also frees me now to spend more time on my GPU/TEC chiller combo block thing I've been wanting to pay more attention to, but simply haven't been able to.

USPS said:
Great price and performer, good job cathar and i hope you go buy something you dont need like a boat or a ducati maybe even one of those big knives like Corocodile Dundee had.

How about he buys TN AC setup :) that should eat up all of any of his earnings from this deal.

WarlordBB said:
PLEASE give us a bit more info on your teaser about the rads. Did you have a part to play in it or are you just aware of others work?

Just some small improvements to the 120mm form-factor. Nothing major but should be enough to knock 1-1.5C off the water temps that you would typically get with a 120mm radiator under full load, or achieve similar temps as before with MUCH less fan noise.

The PA160.1 would remain the premier low-medium-noise single-fan radiator and its position in that role is not under any threat by this at all. This is just a carefully targetted minor-moderate improvement to the 120mm form-factor only for those who are strictly limited to using something of that size.

Under development. Should work out. Some chance it may not work out as expected and therefore if you're time strapped don't hold off for it. Won't be that cheap in comparison to a BIP either, so if you're also budget strapped, don't wait again.

Just the relentless march of individual component based improvements that are constantly being sought after that certain individuals mock as being pointless.

if i were to pair a D5 (probably not on the highest setting, maybe 4 instead) with a maze4 gpu and maze4 chipset (please dont tell me the chipset block is useless, lol) a res and a BIP2, how much better would you imagine the G4 would perform in comparison to a TDX (which i can get at a deal price with the D5 from DD)?

DMF Computing said:
if i were to pair a D5 (probably not on the highest setting, maybe 4 instead) with a maze4 gpu and maze4 chipset (please dont tell me the chipset block is useless, lol) a res and a BIP2, how much better would you imagine the G4 would perform in comparison to a TDX (which i can get at a deal price with the D5 from DD)?

It is not appropriate for me to directly comment on the performance of other manufacturer's products, except to provide assistance in interpreting the results of independently conducted reviews whereby some is needed.

Procooling have a review of the Storm/G4 in comparison to other commercial blocks here:

http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/storm_g4_waterblock_review_-_1.php

It should be noted that the updated Swiftech version of the G4 performs slightly better than the 10-months-old original G4 design that was reviewed there.

Please take the time to read the review and if you have further questions about it, let me know.

Erasmus354 said:
How about he buys TN AC setup :) that should eat up all of any of his earnings from this deal.

TN setup bah :rolleyes: the setup i got from aviddigi puts them to shame and the setup he has, all the working tubemeters and some other stuff i didnt understand its amazing and way to much for someone that just looked at forums all the time and played Joint OPs. So i got one and look at forums all the time and play BF2 :p

But i will build another computer to run my aquarium and put a storm block in that baby!

Nice block Cathar. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see what you have been working on.

I would also appreciate it if you send one over to Hardocp to write up a review on it.

You're an inspiration. ;)

i love to see this, but i wish that swiftech kept the look of the Storm. I think it looked better in pics like this:

g4_angle_sm.jpg

Atleast you got a great company to build the block. Swiftech is pretty much 2nd to only you when it comes to making a good waterblock.

mohammedtaha said:
I would also appreciate it if you send one over to Hardocp to write up a review on it.

Well that would now be Swiftech's call since they're the manufacturers/suppliers of the Storm/G4 now.

I get just one of the final Swiftech STORM blocks for myself.

Unless of course you're referring to the GPU/TEC water-chiller block setup in the works?

Cathar said:
Unless of course you're referring to the GPU/TEC water-chiller block setup in the works?

Are you gonna branch into GPU/TEC blocks? If you do, youll be pretty much be unapposed and welcomed in as the top block there too.

do you have any plans for a GPU block that does not utilize a TEC/chiller setup? In other words a normal GPU block, or do you not see much room for improvement over blocks like the Fusion HL.

Also, do you have any actualy pictures of the swiftech block Cathar. It looks like all the pictures on swiftech are renderings.

Erasmus354 said:
do you have any plans for a GPU block that does not utilize a TEC/chiller setup? In other words a normal GPU block, or do you not see much room for improvement over blocks like the Fusion HL.

It's a design that allows for both. Can be either used as:

1) A conventional GPU block
2) A TEC GPU block
3) A block to sandwich a TEC between to act as a dual-loop water-chiller

More info later once I get the prototypes back in ~6 weeks.

it will be pretty restrictive, more then the TDX, maybe on par with an RBX or WW. it will be fine for anything with a ehiem 1250 or equivalent flow pump or greater.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
it will be pretty restrictive, more then the TDX, maybe on par with an RBX or WW. it will be fine for anything with a ehiem 1250 or equivalent flow pump or greater.

The following graph is a plot of the relative performance of various waterblocks with respect to pumping power applied and provides a good indication of what sort of pump is required to make a waterblock perform well.

Just to give a frame of reference, an Eheim 1046 applies around 0.5W of pumping power at its outlet. An Eheim 1250 provides around 2.0W, and a Laing D5 around 3.0W. Note that additional restrictions other than the waterbock saps a pump's power provided to the waterblock typically by 15-40%

This graph is derived from data as a result of the independently conducted tests by Procooling. It is worth noting that the revised Swiftech STORM slightly outperforms the original Storm/G4 shown on the following graph.

perfpwr3.png

HybridHB said:
How restrictive is the G4 compared to the TDX?

Overclockers lists for the TDX w/ #4 nozzle plate a pressure drop of 0.51 PSI @ 1.00 US GPM.

For the STORM block I have access to the raw test data here and it is 1.68 PSI @ 1.00 US GPM.

LionKinG88 said:
Is there anyone else internet shop that got the storm g5 in stock than swiftech?
Swiftech won't mail to you too? I get a PHP error when attempting to order from their site, didn't like my shipping zip code.
I will be ordering from SidewinderComputers but thier stock isn't scheduled to arrive until wednesday.

Have you emailed http://www.jimmspc-store.fi yet?

CAD OC'er said:
Swiftech won't mail to you too? I get a PHP error when attempting to order from their site, didn't like my shipping zip code.
I will be ordering from SidewinderComputers but thier stock isn't scheduled to arrive until wednesday.

Have you emailed http://www.jimmspc-store.fi yet?

I'll send Jimm's an email today, and will prolly get an answer tomorrow :)
Well the problem with swiftech is that they dont ship to Finland :(
www.frozencpu.com will get it in stock soon, and they ship it to Finland, but I was wondering if there's any shop that may have it in stock and may ship it to Finland.

Cathar,

One of the virtues of your block going mainstream, is that it made me re-read your entire thread on the Overclockers.com.au, and also your various posts on the Procooling, trying to collect more info on your block and the pump's influence on it.
So, i'm thinking of buying a Storm made by Swiftech, but have some questions, i would like to ask you:

- the tests you and procooling made used 1/2" tubing. Switching to 3/8" tubing (i think 1/2" is way to big - my opinion), will disvirtue this block in any way? I ask this because my impression is that this block was made for 1/2" tubing, and is a major factor in the performance results of the Storm. I intend to pair this block with a mcp655 (dian on the #3 position).

Jag said:
- the tests you and procooling made used 1/2" tubing. Switching to 3/8" tubing (i think 1/2" is way to big - my opinion), will disvirtue this block in any way? I ask this because my impression is that this block was made for 1/2" tubing, and is a major factor in the performance results of the Storm. I intend to pair this block with a mcp655 (dian on the #3 position).

I personally agree, 1/2" is way too big.

For all waterblocks, performance is a function of the liquid flow rate and the incoming water temperature, and all the tubing does is supply the flow of liquid. The smaller the tubing is, the more of the pump's work is spent just pushing the water through the tubing, and so flow rates will slightly decrease. How important that effect is, is a matter of scales.

One of the benefits of the Storm waterblock is that it achieves its cooling performance without requiring flow rates as high as traditional 1/2" ID focused waterblocks, which is also one of the reasons why Swiftech chose it, as it fits in with their policy of "moderate" flow rates as is suitable for 3/8" ID tubing.

When I designed the Storm block, I wanted it to be used happily with 3/8" ID tubing, and even 5/16" (8mm) ID tubing if people wanted to, again because I also think that 1/2" ID tubing is too big, and quite frankly, unnecessary. The largest tubing size that I readily recommend to be used with it is 7/16" ID tubing stretched over the 1/2" OD barbs.

So to answer your question, 3/8" ID tubing is fine. The Storm block does NOT require the high flow rates that 1/2" ID tubing traditionally supports to achieve its high level of performance. 3/8" ID tubing is perfectly capable of supplying the flow rates that the Storm works well at without offering a significant source of restriction to the pump.

Switching 1/2" ID for 3/8" ID would be unlikely to cause an increase of CPU temps by more than 0.1-0.3C for the scenario you specifically highlighted above.

Dropping down to 8mm ID tubing would be unlikely to increase CPU temps by more than a further 0.5C.

i.e. The difference between using 1/2" ID tubing and 5/16" (8mm) ID tubing should be no more than 1C, with 3/8" ID tubing being much less than that.

May I suggest that rather than using the MCP655, that perhaps you could instead use the MCP350 with its native 3/8" ID tubing support?

Back