Retail G4's coming soon....

I'm probably getting a Danner Mag 5 or a D5 (If I can stomach the price) so I'm expecting pretty high flow rates (to benefit from the extra nozzles on the TDX that increase restriction). (I guess I don't exactly mean flow rates. I'm expecting a lot of power from my pump so I can benefit from a restrictive block.)

I think I'll either go with the extra thick 7/16" tubing cathar suggeted or if I can't get a hold of that then 3/8" tubing. I think I will prefer the looks of 3/8" a lot more than 1/2", it does seem really large. I can take a 1-2c hit or so, I don't really care about squeezing the "last .1c" out of my system, just getting good/ok looks and pretty good cooling. (Don't we all?) Alright, I care about cooling more than looks. Just not on the extreme side.

Hmm, I went back to procooling.com (where I researched a lot of blocks) and their testing thingy ( http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php ). I was wondering how your storm compared to the Little River storm on that site?

If using 3/8" tubing why not going for the AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline 12V Pump?

My G4 shipped from FrozenCPU, but says it will be here on the 9th, which is saturday? Hmmm, I didnt know Fedex Home Delivery delivered on saturdays?

Mine shipped out today and purports to be here on Tuesday. Can't wait to post pics!

You can see one from the actual product and with compression fittings.
One thing Swiftech changed and i liked was the letters written along the curvature of the top, instead of being a decal/sticker
ex-blc-204_10.jpg

Jag said:
You can see one from the actual product and with compression fittings.
One thing Swiftech changed and i liked was the letters written along the curvature of the top, instead of being a decal/sticker

I like the look without those ugly barbs on it. Some nice push-fits would look even better. :)

I will post pics as soon as I get it .. IF I GET IT SOON :eek:. Damm customs... I ordered it USPS since it was that or UPS :eek: ... Hopefully it'll be here soon

What are you guys using to clamp down the hose to the outlet holes, just adjustable screw clamps or what?

Sc0ttFern said:
What are you guys using to clamp down the hose to the outlet holes, just adjustable screw clamps or what?

I'm gonna use worm clamps .. Hopefully the outlet won't break .. looks like plastic to me .. :confused:

Jag said:
If using 3/8" tubing why not going for the AquaXtreme 50Z-DC12 Mag Drive Inline 12V Pump?

Thats the same thing as the D5. Price is the main reason. If I can spend $45 on pump and $55 on a block instead of $75 and $75 I'd like to see a big difference in performance.

Thank's for the link. This thread is really big and I just noticed it when it had 8 pages or so. Not for the faint of heart to go through.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Do the exos2's pumps have enough head for you to really benefit from this block?

I don't know. That's why I am asking........However, I asked Cathar and he said it should be borderline as far as performance goes. But, I don't know of any other block that will beat this block on an Exos2 setup.

DarkenReaper57 said:
Do the exos2's pumps have enough head for you to really benefit from this block?

Basically it'd be much of a muchness between a Storm and a MCW6000. Could go either way and the pumpage is pretty much at the crossover point between the two blocks, below which the MCW6000 gets better than the Storm, and above which the Storm starts to pull away from the MCW6000.

Next week I'll get my cpu & mobo + my storm :) Will be interesting to see how things are gonna work out ;)

I just received my Storm G4 block. Looks good! I just need to figure out a way to clamp the hoses to the outlets!

Those are the biggest pictures in the world! Any chance you can change them to clickable links?

Sevenpants said:
Those are the biggest pictures in the world! Any chance you can change them to clickable links?

That's the problem these days with giga pixel cameras. People want high resolution, but forget that a computer screen will only display so much. So the smart way is to take high resolution photos, resize them in Photoshop, and save them as medium jpeg's at about a 3 x 4 format. :)

So I wonder if Cathar does custom G5 work? I might be interested in a G5 if I could get rid of that black top for a see though acrylic top. :D Also I hate one size fits all in mounts. It is certainly ulitarian, but I would rather have a mount specifically machined to fit an A64. :cool:

Top Nurse said:
So I wonder if Cathar does custom G5 work? I might be interested in a G5 if I could get rid of that black top for a see though acrylic top. :D Also I hate one size fits all in mounts. It is certainly ulitarian, but I would rather have a mount specifically machined to fit an A64. :cool:
almost exactly what I thought. I doubt he'll make a poly top for it because I think that eveyone would want one, but I was able to get the exact dimensions in metric units from Cathar. I've got them in Autocad now in imperial units. Here is what Cathar gave me: http://www.employees.org/~slf/storm/storm-bracket.gif

CAD OC'er said:
almost exactly what I thought. I doubt he'll make a poly top for it because I think that eveyone would want one, but I was able to get the exact dimensions in metric units from Cathar. I've got them in Autocad now in imperial units. Here is what Cathar gave me: http://www.employees.org/~slf/storm/storm-bracket.gif

Thanks for the link :) So if everyone would want one why wouldn't he make one???

Top Nurse said:
Thanks for the link :) So if everyone would want one why wouldn't he make one???

Because I believe he is more interested in developing designs rather than wasting all his time on manufacturing them.

Erasmus354 said:
Because I believe he is more interested in developing designs rather than wasting all his time on manufacturing them.

Well since I don't think he makes them himself, what's the big deal?

i just got my storm, and i think that everyone who ordered one is going to be very pleased with it. its a much more professional looking setup than my tdx.

im just curious what brand the included thermal compound is. its not labeled.

BioPort said:
i just got my storm, and i think that everyone who ordered one is going to be very pleased with it. its a much more looking professional setup compared to my tdx.

im just curious what brand the included thermal compound is. its not labeled.
It's probably Ceramique that is what Swiftech includes with their kits.

Top Nurse said:

Making individually customised mounting brackets is a total pain, and the reason why is the customers, sorry to say.

So many times in the past I asked people to spell it out for me, just what it is that they wanted, did they want the bracket mounted, not mounted, what mounting type, etc.

Think that they could at least help me out with that? No. So I'd then start saying that the blocks would be shipped out with some socket option pre-installed unless they said otherwise. Think that they'd read that? No. Then I'd get emails saying "Why did you install the mounting option - now I'm gonna have to waste my time finding an allen key, blah, blah.."

Then I'd get people paying for one option, then realising, changing their minds, and I'd have to refund them but with Paypal fees all mixed up in that. Then I'd get people switching systems and I'd have to stock extra parts to cater for that, and deal with all the email back'n'forth, then heading off the post office (which is not that convenient) once or twice a week to post out a piece of metal that I wished was just included in the whole deal. Then people would sell the blocks second hand, and the buyer didn't have access to Paypal, and Western Union for a $10 amount charges silly fees, and so people would get upset that they had they're new 2nd hand block, but couldn't use it because they weren't able to get the money to me to pay for the bits that they needed, and often I'd just send it anyway at my own expense if they had been nice enough to me and I was feeling generous on the day.

Also the whole spare part thing was getting to me. Since I don't make very large numbers of stuff, keeping aside 10-15 plates, which to me cost as much as I "made" on about 30 blocks, on the off chance that people would want them and hope that people buy them so I don't end up out of pocket.

So ultimately I just thought "Screw it!". If you guys can't get it right, I'll just make a single universal mounting bracket based block and do my best to not make it look so obvious (anodised black since it's harder to see dark holes in a black mounting black), and I couldn't be happier.

Now the only emails I get are people contacting me to tell me that they bought a block second hand and didn't receive some screws, at which point I direct them to their nearest hardware/fastener supply store since it'd be cheaper for them to do that and would take up about as much of their time to do that as it would take of my time to go to my post office to post off some $2 bolts, plus envelope plus international postage.

So yeah, infinitiely more convenient and less costs and time wasted for all concerned, and the only drawback is a few extra holes in some plate...

Okay I can definitely see your POV on that one ;) That is really not to big of a deal as I can machine out a nice stainless steel A64 mount without to much problem.

So let's get on to the meat and potatoes issue. How about a Silver G5 with the top made out of some clear acrylic or plexi-glas similar material? If you are already setup to bore those holes then I can't see that starting out with a different material is going to be that big of a deal. I just want to see the silver :D

Top Nurse said:
How about a Silver G5 with the top made out of some clear acrylic or plexi-glas similar material? If you are already setup to bore those holes then I can't see that starting out with a different material is going to be that big of a deal. I just want to see the silver :D

Well, we could do that, but then all you'd see is the black Delrin middle-plate.

Before you ask, "Can we make the middle plate out of a clear plastic too?", the answer is no, because the machining is so delicate (twice human hair thickness in various parts) that all clear plastics break, chip, warp, and/or go cloudy around the jetted area. This is why Delrin was used as it was one of the few plastics that had the desirable machining qualities needed to even consider getting the blocks made.

The other thing that baffles me about people wanting to see the base-plate, is that the moment they stick some coolant in there, typically colored, you can no longer see the plate-plate anyway....

i think they wanna see the colors, for some reason when i got my stuff, i wasnt caring about seeing it, i was caring about longevity, meaning not cracking that top plate, so i went with brass. if i wanna look at my blue color, i can look at it in my tubing.

Cathar said:
Well, we could do that, but then all you'd see is the black Delrin middle-plate.

Before you ask, "Can we make the middle plate out of a clear plastic too?", the answer is no, because the machining is so delicate (twice human hair thickness in various parts) that all clear plastics break, chip, warp, and/or go cloudy around the jetted area. This is why Delrin was used as it was one of the few plastics that had the desirable machining qualities needed to even consider getting the blocks made.

The other thing that baffles me about people wanting to see the base-plate, is that the moment they stick some coolant in there, typically colored, you can no longer see the plate-plate anyway....

I was actually referring to the bored middle part, but I was wondering whether you would have problems with the clear stuff as you do need different tool geometries to properly machine it.

As far as the coolant thingy goes I can't speak for the 99% of people who use colored or UV sensitive water. All my tubes are black and the only lights in the case are from LED's in the Aquatubes. Have also been considering using a single multi-color LED with fiber optics running up to the acrylic tops. Light would only be permitted to go into the plexi and not out the sides at all.

Top Nurse said:
As far as the coolant thingy goes I can't speak for the 99% of people who use colored or UV sensitive water. All my tubes are black and the only lights in the case are from LED's in the Aquatubes. Have also been considering using a single multi-color LED with fiber optics running up to the acrylic tops. Light would only be permitted to go into the plexi and not out the sides at all.

Well now we're talking about pure bling.

How about using the polished reflectiveness of the G5's mounting bracket in some way to point 3 separate offset colored LED's to create a rainbow color effect of blended colors against the tubing or something else? That way when you looked in, dependent upon which angle you viewed the block from it'd be a different color blend being reflected back.

I dunno. Seems to me that you can do just as much with something polished and reflective, as you can do with something that's clear and see-through.

Alternately go get the polished aluminium top plate chrome plated and go nuts on super-reflectivity.

I do admit to not being a bling-for-bling's-sake kind of person, and on the issue of a silver base-plate, the internal design pretty much prevents a person from seeing very much of it at all, except for a tiny strip at the edge, so focus on the bits that you can see and work with those.

Heck, could even get the mounting bracket anodised black then etched with some fancy patterns with the silvery lines of the underlying bare aluminium showing through, and THAT would look cool and unique.

Back