Revision E OC discussion thread

So does cooling help OC'ing or is cooling just to help keep the heat generated by overvolting down to a useable level?

My 3700+ with stock HSF, and lots of casefans runs 38 - 40C at load when tuned up from stock 2.2 ghz to 2.816 ghz. Is any aftermarket HSF is going to do much better than this? And if it would, is there any point?

With my budget mobo, I'd have to do a conductive paint / solder voltmod to get a little higher voltage - my current max is 1.45V, with mod the mobo can go to 1.55V.

I'm just not sure if it would be worth the effort for an additional 7% cpu performance...

though 3 ghz on air does sound kinda nice....

What say you?

cooling does have an effect on the max stable clocks. i usually get around 50-100mhz for every 10c temp drop, depending on the current temps and chip. the colder you get, the less dropping the temps more helps, kinda like how voltage has deminishing returns ;)

beowulf7 said:
Hehe ... or turn up the A/C in the middle of winter! :eek:

not a concern here in south texas - its 82F high on wednesday (btw, I run the AC in the winter)

/seasons, what are those?

fuelvolts said:
not a concern here in south texas - its 82F high on wednesday (btw, I run the AC in the winter)

/seasons, what are those?
LOL I can imagine. One of my good friends lives in Austin (he used to live in NJ) and tells me how warm it is there compared to what we get in NJ. But he said Austin was in the low 30s this morning. :p

So one advantage we cold-weather air coolers have over you warm weather guys are better OC'ing potential! :D

Enjoy the 80s on Wed. while I chip frost off my car windows before going to work.

my x2 4400+(ccbwe 0546) is at 2.53 on air atm, corsair 2X512 3200XL ram, 1:1 , ltd x4 , fsb 230 , volts 2.8 (ram), :eek:

Back