Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Unfortunately, I agree with that. 2ms might be true, but the rest of the monitor is disappointing. My enthusiasm over how big the monitor is fades away as I get used to it. What's left is a disdain for how bad the colors look and how much the image changes as I move my head around.

Even if I don't move my head around, the top is always darker than bottom no matter from what angle I look.

You might say all TN panels are like this, but it's not true. I have never seen this level of variation depending on angles on any monitor. You might say it's good enough for a 300$ monitor, but that's not right either. We had no idea about these problems before we bought it. Samsung advertises it as a perfect monitor. No product has a right to be this bad no matter how cheap it is,unless the weaknesses are admitted openly by the manifacturer.

For what it's worth, to anyone who is still contemplating about whether to buy this monitor, I don't recommend it.

You got the A panel, didn't you?

Use the Spyder2 profile posted earlier in this thread with brightness / constrast at 72.

The image quality / colors are fantastic on this monitor using that profile.

226bwix1.jpg

Where'd you get that background? It's pretty kickass.

The A panel is the best! Don't listen to everyone one else. Crap, I just received the M panel.

We have the A and C panels already so I can't wait until Samsung starts shipping the F (as in "F you") panels which will be plasma panel leftovers from 1999.

About the vertical viewing angle...
Just put the monitor at your eye level so that you look straight at the very top portion of the screen AND sit at least hand length away from it. 226bw has a TN panel, anyway, viewing angles are far better than on Viewsonic VX715. PixelSwim in videos? No, i believe its just a 'feature' of a certain video codec, NOT banding. The codec probably is more suitable for a CRT monitor and its features. ( pixelation is allowed there by the compression algorythm because the color difference is considered invisible on a CRT monitor.)

Adjust brightness/contrast/gamma if something's wrong.

btw I've got the K panel

...eh!... i mean, the S panel ...luckily not the M or the R :)

I have used that profile and it helped with the colours, but the real problem lies in the colour shifting. As another person said, every time you move your head the colour instensity shifts and this is my #1 complaint. Even my cheap (Lenovo L191) 19" (4:3) LCD at work is far better and I think that's a TN panel as well. I downloaded a Titan Quest screenshot and held my 19" monitor in front of me at different angles and the colour was always good, never shifting drastically in saturation like the 226BW does.

Honestly, I really wanted to like this monitor, but the viewing angle is poor and no amount of tweaking can fix that. :(

Rob

THE MORE BIGGER LCD SCREEN..... MORE PROBLEM WHEN MOVING THE HEAD( EYES) .....ALL LCD 22'' DOES THAT ....... 20 INCHES =LESS.... 19 =MORE LESS

IMAGINE A 24 ''....

I BUY MINE SATURDAY 226 BW (S) PANEL.....BECAUSE ON THE DISPLAY THE 206 BW IT WAS a A PANEL .....SO IN STOCK I WAS SURE THAT I WOULD HAVE a A PANEL....... YES YOU READ IT a A PANEL ON A 206BW SAMSUNG

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...THE MORE BIGGER LCD SCREEN..... MORE PROBLEM WHEN MOVING THE HEAD...

I BUY MINE SATURDAY 226 BW (S) PANEL.....BECAUSE ON THE DISPLAY THE 206 BW IT WAS a A PANEL .....SO IN STOCK I WAS SURE THAT I WOULD HAVE a A PANEL....... YES YOU READ IT a A PANEL ON A 206BW SAMSUNG

It depends on your viewing distance, doesn't it? So, if you were to follow the usual rules of thumb (even osha guidelines) for monitor placement, seating postion, posture, etc the monitor should be at least acceptable in this regard. Not that everyone does, but I think the vast majority of people use the monitor with it pointed at them, and 1-2 feet away.

Also... I have no idea what you were saying in the 2nd paragraph.

I've been tormented by my bright, small, heavy and hot like a sun CRT for years, I've never own an LCD before.

I was about to buy a 22inch budget LCD the other day, to end my sufferage once and for all. Prepare to join the future!!

But after personally messing around with a few "well known" LCD at PC fairs and dozens of shops. (including samsung 226bw)

and after reading tons of reviews and comments......(including this thread)

I've decided I like my CRT hell a lot better than the unknown waters of the LCD hell.

Lesser of two hells. :)

This LCD thingamajig is a real mess. What was the inventor thinking? tsk tsk

I've been tormented by my bright, small, heavy and hot like a sun CRT for years, I've never own an LCD before.

I was about to buy a 22inch budget LCD the other day, to end my sufferage once and for all. Prepare to join the future!!

But after personally messing around with a few "well known" LCD at PC fairs and dozens of shops. (including samsung 226bw)

and after reading tons of reviews and comments......(including this thread)

I've decided I like my CRT hell a lot better than the unknown waters of the LCD hell.

Lesser of two hells. :)

This LCD thingamajig is a real mess. What was the inventor thinking? tsk tsk

CRT is tough for the eye after a long period ..not LCD ( my opinion):eek: :eek:

hey guys in that forum ( dark pages) .... i can not ajust( my head( lol) ..with my 226 bw .... tilt the screen ..... move up or down on my chair...............honest the top of the screen is never like the bottom ....and i am at 2 feet of the screen ..... always darker at the top...... give me a feedback please ..... not necessary to have a samsung tyvm

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THE MORE BIGGER LCD SCREEN..... MORE PROBLEM WHEN MOVING THE HEAD( EYES) .....ALL LCD 22'' DOES THAT ....... 20 INCHES =LESS.... 19 =MORE LESS

IMAGINE A 24 ''....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A 22" widescreen is not that much bigger vertically than a 19" 4:3 aspect screen. Like I said in a previous post, I held my (work) 19" lcd and tilted it a lot every way while looking at a titan quest screenshot. Colour shifting was barely noticeable at all (you only see if if you are really looking for it). I checked my 226BW (S) when I got home tonight and it has really bad colour/intensity shifting with minimal vertical movement.

It seems like you can't win with LCD yet. Every panel has it's own faults and none of them are perfect. It's just finding something where you can live with the faults. For the 226BW, the colour shift issue is just far too noticeable and displeasing.

Rob

You got the A panel, didn't you?

Yes, but the problems that bug me have been reported by S panel users as well.

Can any S panel user tell me that their monitor's top doesn't look darker than the bottom?

Can any S panel user tell me that the color tones don't change as they move their head around?

Can any S panel user tell me that their monitor's top doesn't look darker than the bottom?

Can any S panel user tell me that the color tones don't change as they move their head around?

Hehe I knew it. Yes from what I've seen these problems exist in the S too but trust me they're less visible. A panel just has all the TN problems you can think of x2 and while S like every TN has some these problems too they're much more smoothed out and overall it's a good monitor. A panel is a terrible TERRIBLE monitor so don't think its bad quality has anything to do with the S panel. They're like two different TFTs who just happen to share the same design and model number.

yes

yes
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i want to change my 226bw samsung for a 206bw (20'')samsung will have the same problems? darker in the top

more dark is the top than bottom?

if so is all lcd monitor have the same problem ???? ,,,,,,need an answer because i dont a more left time for exchange tyvm allllllllllllllllllllllllll

IMPORTANTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

For me I see no change in color or brightness under NORMAL viewing.If i view from the far sides or far bottom or top then a difference!but i never view like that.(s) panel

Yes from what I've seen these problems exist in the S too but trust me they're less visible. A panel just has all the TN problems you can think of x2 and while S like every TN has some these problems too they're much more smoothed out and overall it's a good monitor. A panel is a terrible TERRIBLE monitor so don't think its bad quality has anything to do with the S panel.
These are some pretty bold statements to make unless you've done a side by side comparison. I'm betting you didn't and that whatever A panel you did have, it wasn't well calibrated. If you look in this thread, you'll see some posts regarding side-by-side comparisons and the results were that the A and S were pretty close.

I'd also like to thank JooptvG for posting the link to the thread where actual performance tests were done on both S and A panels. Although I read a translated version from French, I was still able to get the gist of it. Here are some important points that were made:

1. After being properly calibrated, the performance tests of the A panel were only slightly lower than the S panel.So much so that both panels were pretty much on par with each other and should be considered equal.

2. The performance test results of the A panel bested the test results of any other panel made by AUO that was previously tested. This led the testers to speculate that although AUO manufactured the A panels (i.e. put together), the components are possibly actually made by Samsung. If so, the difference in the manufacturing process could explain the slight differences in test results.

3. The S panels appear to be pre-calibrated while the A panels aren't.

4. The S panel used for the comparison was different from the S panel the testers first tested two months ago. The newer S panel tested slightly lower than the original S panel although both still had excellent results.

These are some pretty bold statements to make unless you've done a side by side comparison. I'm betting you didn't and that whatever A panel you did have, it wasn't well calibrated. If you look in this thread, you'll see some posts regarding side-by-side comparisons and the results were that the A and S were pretty close.

I'd also like to thank JooptvG for posting the link to the thread where actual performance tests were done on both S and A panels. Although I read a translated version from French, I was still able to get the gist of it. Here are some important points that were made:

1. After being properly calibrated, the performance tests of the A panel were only slightly lower than the S panel.So much so that both panels were pretty much on par with each other and should be considered equal.

2. The performance test results of the A panel bested the test results of any other panel made by AUO that was previously tested. This led the testers to speculate that although AUO manufactured the A panels (i.e. put together), the components are possibly actually made by Samsung. If so, the difference in the manufacturing process could explain the slight differences in test results.

3. The S panels appear to be pre-calibrated while the A panels aren't.

4. The S panel used for the comparison was different from the S panel the testers first tested two months ago. The newer S panel tested slightly lower than the original S panel although both still had excellent results.

I'm not dense I searched a million different sites and forums about the monitor, don't you think I would have calibrated it? And you're right, I didn't compare them side by side I checked the S panel in a friend a few days after I returned my A one but -needless to say- the panels are very different. I don't know what the site you talk about checked but the S panel didn't have the horrible noise in videos the A panel has, the banding was much less visible and the backlight bleeding was better too.

i want to change my 226bw samsung for a 206bw (20'')samsung will have the same problems? darker in the top

more dark is the top than bottom?

if so is all lcd monitor have the same problem ???? ,,,,,,need an answer because i dont a more left time for exchange tyvm allllllllllllllllllllllllll

IMPORTANTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I think all TN panels have the change at the top. My dell 1907fp has it and its not bad. If its your first LCD then i can see why your like this.

i will translate below:) :) :) :)

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/news_id-3037.html
226BW suite. Vérification des dalles.
Vincent Alzieu | 17 avril 2007
Aujourd'hui sera un jour un peu spécial. Des lecteurs ont identifié un problème de dalles sur l'écran 22 pouces Samsung Syncmaster 226BW. Deux, voire trois versions différentes coexisteraient. Nous vous proposons de suivre les essais comparatifs des versions A et S en temps réel.

On applique la recette conseillée pour faire apparaître en clair à l'écran la référence de la dalle :
- Choisissez un contraste et une luminosité à 0
- Appuyez sur le bouton Menu
- Appuyez sur le bouton Source pendant cinq secondes (c'est le second bouton à droite)
Apparaît alors un menu caché, ''Service Function'', comprenant en bas une ligne Panel Info donnant en clair l'origine et la référence de la dalle.

Voici ce que ça donne sur les deux écrans reçus :

A gauche, l'écran série A, à droite, l'écran série S

L'écran série A est bel et bien en dalle AU Optronics. Pour le S c'est moins clair. La référence rapportée est AMLCD 220M1. Or les dalles Samsung sont nommées LTM220M1. Il y a toutefois plus qu'un lien de parenté d'autant plus probable que les autres constructeurs de dalles, AU (M220EW01), CMO (M220Z1) et LG-Philips (LM220WE1), n'ont pas opté pour une appellation du type 220M1.

S PANEL : that whe see on the display AM LCD220M1 is not really a SAMSUNG PANEL.... samsung panels are named LTM220M1 .....more confusing .....and for the A& C panel no change

Tonight I returned the 226BW and bought an LG L246WP instead. I looked at other TN panels and they all basically did the same thing, some just more than others. I could not get over the viewing angle shortcomings and it probably would have always bugged me if I had kept it. I really wanted to keep it since the refresh rate was excellent. Oh well. This 24" is very nice too.

Rob

Please help....

anyone know what the things in service menu is for?

auto auto =on
pixel shift = off (on goole I finded that pixel shift is a new option to prevent screen burn on the new lcd television models, any reason to be off...is broken on this model?)

panel no. ch. = initialy 0 but i find that even this option could be changed if you maintain the menu buton press 2, 3 seconds - the numbers is increse only...1,2,3 etc

now my mon is panel ch. no. = 3

changing this option will reset the counter of "cycle"

what use coul have this opion panel no. ch. ?

in nvidia control panel is possible to create custom resolution...and i tested and the monitor suport in max resolution an refresh of 65, 70, 75 Hz besides the default 60 Hz...it is worth to change on the higher refresh rate or no diferences will be made and only stress the device?

in nvidia control panel is possible to create custom resolution...and i tested and the monitor suport in max resolution an refresh of 65, 70, 75 Hz besides the default 60 Hz...it is worth to change on the higher refresh rate or no diferences will be made and only stress the device?

Could you try whether the 226BW would support 50Hz as well? Generally 50Hz and 75Hz could be useful for watching movies with framerate of 25 fps as it could eliminate video tearing.

honestly people have lives but read 77 pages. .. Me personally have heard the good and bad of this monitor. Honsetly. After reading most of these posts. I have changed my mind on this monitor. I am not purchasing this. Ide prefer to get something Ide be happy with.

Even if it costs the extra $$

i just ordered one from dell but since its on backordered im not very confident about getting an S panel. wish me luck guys.

on the bright side, even a C panel shud beat down my current acer 2216wbd! plus it was at a price i couldnt resist :D i had a $100 coupon and bought a $200 dell gift card from someone for 150, bringing the price down to $38 shipped :D

Ide prefer to get something Ide be happy with. Even if it costs the extra $$
I find your statement a bit ironic given that this is one of the more expensive 22" monitors out there. :)

Yes, you could go to 24", but that's a whole different price range.

I was looking for a good 22" LCD forever. Originally I wanted 225BW or VX2235WM but from different reviews did find them both little lacking. I decided to wait a little for some new 22" model and when I found out about 226BW I bought it almost immediately (after reading all of this thread of course).

I bought my monitor in person from a huge computer store. I asked them to open it so I can see if it's an S (which it was) and then asked to hook it up so I can look for dead pixels. It all looked pretty perfect.

Back home I had no problems installing and after playing with monitor settings it all looked superb. Next day I hooked my 3 year old Samsung CRT for some comparison. Blacks were perfect, gradients looked the same as my CRT, no banding whatsoever, movies, games and applications, all look so perfect.

About the top being darker, you just have to get better looking angle. I found the best angle to be if monitor is tilted all the way so it would make nearly 90° angle with a table and your eyes are in line with top of monitors black plastic thing (the one with syncmaster and 2ms writings on it). From this angle I don't see top being darker unless I really try to.

I really can't understand why are people who are S panels owners whining. I personally find it worth every cent.

About the top being darker, you just have to get better looking angle. I found the best angle to be if monitor is tilted all the way so it would make nearly 90° angle with a table and your eyes are in line with top of monitors black plastic thing (the one with syncmaster and 2ms writings on it). From this angle I don't see top being darker unless I really try to.

At that angle, the top looks normal, but the bottom looks too pale. You see this best with purple solid color full screen. No matter from which angle you look, the bottom is paler. Believe me, I've tried all possible angles. :)

At that angle, the top looks normal, but the bottom looks too pale. You see this best with purple solid color full screen. No matter from which angle you look, the bottom is paler. Believe me, I've tried all possible angles. :)

Yes it does, but you normally don't look at solid purple color full screen, do you? Its not too pale when doing all the other stuff: movies, games and applications.

My two 2 S Panel's with their new desk mount LCD bracket ^_^ The viewing angles are still perfect from where I sit. I though I might have a problem with them so high up in the air, but it's actually more comfortable then I originally thought. I hadn't seen any 226BW's on brackets yet, so I thought I'd post mine. (Got my brackets in the mail last night, dirt cheap too at $37)

DSC01670.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

Back