Samsung 244T - finally!

mike_j_johnson said:
Possibly a stupid question, but...

Emission Standard
TCO ’03 (silver)/TCO ’99 (black)

Does this mean the Silver version uses TCO 2003 Emission Standards and the Black version uses older TCO 1999?

If so, why is this? and what is the difference? should we buy the silver version because of this?

you might have noticed it's always the black version that has the lower standard compliance. there's nothing different inside - it's the same monitor, d'uh! - the thing is that there are different chemicals used to make the black plastic...

_jd_ said:
you might have noticed it's always the black version that has the lower standard compliance. there's nothing different inside - it's the same monitor, d'uh! - the thing is that there are different chemicals used to make the black plastic...
What's the problem with those chemicals? That they're bad in landfills, when the monitor is at end-of-life?

I'd be interested in seeing a review of this monitor by a HardForum member. Particularly, I would like to see a review that deals with the component video HD quality. I expect to play console games through those. Nice review though.

Ahriman4891 said:
I believe I read somewhere (maybe on this forum, actually) that black bezel contrasts more w/ the image on the monitor and thus distracts/tires your eyes more. Silver, being more neutral, is easier on the eyes. For this reason, no monitor w/ black bezel will ever get the TCO'03 certification. Don't quote me on this, though...

Apparently, that has been the case up until October this year...

Display frame
The display frame must not give rise to disturbing reflections.

An earlier requirement specified that the frame should not be too dark or too light but this was removed in October 2005. Nevertheless, it is still important to avoid strong contrasts in our field of vision, as described in The Advisor for displays. This is also something the user should consider him or herself when choosing a display.
http://www.tcodevelopment.com/pls/nvp/Document.Show?CID=1200&MID=93

I would choose the silver version any day of the week. I think it looks better and I like the idea of having a neutral (gray/silver) border.

Ahriman4891 said:
I believe I read somewhere (maybe on this forum, actually) that black bezel contrasts more w/ the image on the monitor and thus distracts/tires your eyes more. Silver, being more neutral, is easier on the eyes. For this reason, no monitor w/ black bezel will ever get the TCO'03 certification. Don't quote me on this, though...

Thats correct, as for the black its probably an older standard since it didnt need to changed. Remember silver paint contains aloot stuff than black.

kleox64 said:
OK here we go the press release states grey to grey response of 10ms:

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20051018_0000201236

now assuming they are using the available panels with 8ms (GtoG) response then this makes sense.

I still think the worst case response will be in the 12-16ms IMO which is excellent.

I emailed Samsung about this. Their useless response was to "call us". Ugh - what is the point of being able to send emails asking product questions, if they won't answer them.

Buy.com is listing the G-G response time as 6ms.

I just checked Samsung's website out - still no mention of the 244T in their monitor pages...

I'm beginning to believe it isn't 25ms.

I have a 244t black. It's awesome. And HUGe compared to my old Viewsonic 19"

Ozona said:

I'd love it if you could write a review of it, or at least post some high resolution photos of it in various situations. That'd be so great!

So TCO 03 silver is supposedly better on the eyes than TCO 99 black? (not the screen, but the casing around the screen)

interesting I thought it would be the other way round, didnt the silver apple displays have people complaining.

Ozona said:

Can you provide some pictures and maybe a mini-review, it will help people's perspective about the monitor. Also any idea if its backlight is LED based?

thanks

kleo

Ok so it appears that Canada's Samsung website lists it as 16ms, while the Germany Samsung website lists it as 6ms.

kleox64 said:
err coincidence since it has identical spec to what retailers are listing for the 244T?

Go to www.flatpanels.dk/skaerme.php and search for LTM240M1 and you'll get this:

Acer AL2416W (widescreen) har et 24 tommer 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Dell 2405FPW (widescreen) har et 24 tommer 12 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Eizo S2410W (widescreen) har et 24 tommer 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Eizo S2410W-K (widescreen) har et 24 tommer 8 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

Samsung 242MP har et 24 tommer 16 ms PVA (Samsung LTM240M1-L01) panel.

Samsung 244T (widescreen) har et 24 tommer 6 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM240M1) panel.

the 24" acer doesnt have a dvi/hdmi port!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahhaha

rediculous.

whos gunna spend 1k on an lcd to view slightly blurry/distorted/noisy images at 1920x1200

remember video is digital in the computer, with a decent monitor with dvi, it stays that way all the way through the monitor until the pixels themselves....
in the acer, or another lcd using the analog input, it starts out as digital, then the video card outputs it as analog... with some loss... travels through the cable, picking up noise (cables are antennas... although often not very good ones), until it goes into the monitor, and the monitor converts it back into digital (with loss), where its processed and sent to the pixels, where its finally converted into analog when the pixel tries to filter a color.

Iam lost now, Iam going to assume 6/10ms.

That other guy who has this monitor can try and access the service menu and Iam 99% sure it will be the LTM240M1. Damn we need confirmation on this!!!

6 to 8ms (g2g)

BUT, considering Samsung saves the best panels for themselves, I would say 6ms (g2g) for the 244t.

agreed, 6ms seems to make sense as retailers are listing this and also that guy who did the review tried fast paced FPS games and didnt notice any ghosting at all. The acer 24" review also states 6ms for the samsung panel used in thier monitor, which has identical spec to the LTM240M1 LCD module.

It seems like everyone's agreeing on the specs to make themselves happy. Try calling Samsung(yes, calling--email gets you nowhere). Are you all ready to buy a monitor on iffy specs?

Ozona said:

Please post a review. I would be happy if you actually hooked up some component cables and tried a game, say on a Game Cube, PS2, and/or X-Box. I am really concerned with the component input(which supposedly supports up to 1080p) since I will be using those until the PS3 comes out with its HDMI out. Of course I'm going to need an HDMI->HDCP adapter.

Oh, and post pictures :D

Ahriman4891 said:

That would be strange because with video editing and graphics, a darker UI can be used so that the colors stand out more.

So where's the reviews about the 244t??!?!?!?!?

Pixel pitch for this montior and other 24' seem to be 0.270. I've heard people prefer the .258 of 23'' screens (like the HP L2335) better ,esepcially if they are closer to the monitor.

Opinions?

~pats self on back~

The only question I have... Are we sure in the US that Samsung has a zero pixel defect policy? Anyone have rock-solid confirmation?

The good folks at Samsung sent me information from their model spec charts. Enjoy:

(Note the "question marks" that appear in a couple items such as brightness and viewing angle are not actually question marks - in the copy/pasted document they came in as little "squares" that transfered to question marks when pasted here)

LCD DIGITAL 244T

Panel Type:
a-si TFT/PVA

Viewable Size:
24"

Pixel Pitch:
0.270mm

Brightness (Typical):
500 cd/m�

Contrast Ratio (Typical):
1000:1

Viewing Angle (H/V):
178�/178� (CR>5)

Interface:
Analog/Digital

Response Time (Typical):
6ms

Native Resolution:
1920 x 1200

Maximum Color:
16.7M

Input Video Signal:
Analog RGB, DVI Digital Link, RCA CVBS, S-Video

Sync Type:
Separate H/V, Composite HV, SOG

Input Connectors:
15-Pin D-Sub, DVI-D, RCA Connector, S-Video

Power Consumption:
100 Watts (max)

VESA� Wall Mount:
100 mm (optional)

Emission Standard:
TCO '03

Bezel Color:
Silver (Front)/Sliver (Back) Also Available in Black

Special Features:
Narrow Bezel, MagicColor Pro, MagicBright, MagicTune, MagicRotation, PIP/PBP (with video), Mechanical S/W, Ergonomic Four-Way Adjustable Stand: Height, Pivot, Tilt, Swivel

Warranty (P/L/B):
3/3/3

Compatibility:
PC/Windows, Macintosh, Sun Microsystems

They gave you this information on the phone but you're pasting it?

I also have contacted samsung and was told 6ms for the typical G->G.

i hope to find more out. If the max responce is bellow 16 i'm going to rock this monitor.

larkin said:
They gave you this information on the phone but you're pasting it?

I also have contacted samsung and was told 6ms for the typical G->G.

i hope to find more out. If the max responce is bellow 16 i'm going to rock this monitor.

I spoke with them - they said "I'm reading from our "model spec charts", gives me the "average" of 6ms, says it doesn't say specifically what that is. He offered to send me the spec chart - he sent, I pasted.

I too will likely buy - but would like to resolve their US dead pixel policy...

FYI-

There are TWO Acer 24" models:

AL2416WA="Acer AL2416W (Analog)"

AL2416WD="Acer AL2416W (Digital)"

This is directly from their monitor driver .INF file which you can download.

The spec is exactly as it is on the german samsung product pages. As for the response time Iam sugggesting that the worst case will be in the 12-->16ms range.

kleox64 said:
The spec is exactly as it is on the german samsung product pages. As for the response time Iam sugggesting that the worst case will be in the 12-->16ms range.

Which would be excellent as far as no-ghosting in movies and games?

Damn right, I had a look at the samsung displays defore purchasing the dell 2405 they were in the £1200-£1300 price range now I can pickup the 244T for £850-->£900.

HoodooGuru said:
FYI-

There are TWO Acer 24" models:

AL2416WA="Acer AL2416W (Analog)"

AL2416WD="Acer AL2416W (Digital)"

This is directly from their monitor driver .INF file which you can download.

You know, I'm pretty sure there's just a different driver for the monitor when connected through a VGA port (analog) and a DVI port (digital). ;)

kleox64 said:
Damn right, I had a look at the samsung displays defore purchasing the dell 2405 they were in the £1200-£1300 price range now I can pickup the 244T for £850-->£900.

I'm not following you here. Damn right to the "excellent for movies and games"?

I can get a 244T here in the states for the $1350 - $1400 range, which isn't bad. Still haven't jumped yet though. I'd settle for a dell if the dell did HDCP.

so is this HDCP monitor? in a month or so, i'm about to build a new system again and i'm planning to wait for 30" Dell, but that seem too big for my taste and unable to use default res for games is not really what i want..

i'm looking for a monitor which i can use to plug in my pc and xbox 360 w/ 1080p feature..

FYI - more info from Samsung support.

Samsung does NOT have a zero pixel defect policy in the USA.

For this monitor - in the USA, their pixel policy would be 17 dead pixels to warrant replacement.

I guess I will wait until I can buy locally.

Zero dead pixels. No hits, no runs, no errors.

244t.jpg

I've had my 244T about a week or so, I really like it. DANG it's big.

My picture taking skills kinda suck. :rolleyes: :D

larkin said:
Pixel pitch for this montior and other 24' seem to be 0.270. I've heard people prefer the .258 of 23'' screens (like the HP L2335) better ,esepcially if they are closer to the monitor.

Opinions?

I would preffer the .258 of a 23 as the pixels are smaller but I won't trade black level fot it. Most of the .258 are LG's I beleave and the don't have as good a black level as the Samsung panels.

Ozona, how are the black levels on the monitor ? Is it deep (almost true black) ?
How about ghosting, DVD playback, games ? :)

Cheers!
John

Kamotek said:
Ozona, how are the black levels on the monitor ? Is it deep (almost true black) ?
How about ghosting, DVD playback, games ? :)

Cheers!
John

Very Very black, especially in comparison to my older Viewsonic VG910b.

Thanks for the picture Ozona. Your photography skills are enough! Can you take a few more? I was thinking up close, the back side and so on. Simply more angles. That'd be sweet!

What is your impression of the brightness of the monitor? Specwise it's the same as the Dell 2405FPW (500 cd/m2) and many say that that one's too bright for many areas of use. I know the 244T has the MagicBright 2 function to compensate this but I've never used it in practice. Your view on this would be appreciated!

Back